Annoying comments you hear all the time

Ugh!  I hate the assumption that everyone under a certain age can magically stay in shape with no effort.  *bangs head on desk*

That and it's opposite: that if you are over a certain age, you cannot get in shape no matter what. 'It's harder at my age'. So? Harder does not equal impossible!

Current form: Chubby House Cat (lvl4)

Weight objective: 20%

S. 4 P. 6 E. 4 C. 7 I. 8 A. 4 L. 5

Battle log

Current Challenge

Handy linky.

People call me ma'am all the time and I hate it. I try to make my voice sound deeper during initial conversation. You can use it to your advantage though if you are calling with a problem once they call it wrong if you act incredibly offended you can 99% of the time get what you were calling about. I got a new xbox two years after the expired warrantee like this lol

I had a friend whose name was Cailin ... the number of letters he got addressed to Miss Caitlin [last name] was apparently both hilarious and infuriating.

And he kept being mistaken for his mother on the phone.

Not sure how, I'm pretty sure he could have been mistaken for a bear in bad lighting.  But there you go...

Previous challenges:

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6)

I hate when people make steroid comments.

First of all I'm not that big.

Second of all I work hard to shed weight so I can find my muscle.

Third of all it's kind of a backhanded way of implying my testicals are a size less than optimal!

I train at a gym full of big strong dudes. When someone comes up to me asking if I'm on gear, I'll know I'm getting strong! ;)

Karate hands and "hiyaaah!"

Yeah, so, there's no punching or kicking in Brazilian jiu-jitsu and, so, yeah, no...

Also, "Haha, I bet you could beat me up," said in a tone that is convinced that I could not, in fact, beat him up... except that, yes, I totally could. Just smile and walk away...

That and it's opposite: that if you are over a certain age, you cannot get in shape no matter what. 'It's harder at my age'. So? Harder does not equal impossible!

When I was younger my mom would always say stuff like, "I don't know why you have such a hard time losing weight, I was so skinny when I was your age."

Thanks Mom, that won't make me self-concious about my weight for the rest of my life at all.

I solemnly swear that I am up to no good

Secret Identity: Kristy

Level 4 Adventurer

STR 5.5 | DEX 5.25 | STA 5.5 | CON 8.75 | WIS 7 | CHA 2.5

When I was younger my mom would always say stuff like, "I don't know why you have such a hard time losing weight, I was so skinny when I was your age."

Thanks Mom, that won't make me self-concious about my weight for the rest of my life at all.

And they say mother knows best. Sure she does. Mine would say that I was never going to get a guy if I didn't slim down. The joke's on her, I don't like guys! Ha!

Battle log

Current Challenge

Handy linky.

I had a friend whose name was Cailin ... the number of letters he got addressed to Miss Caitlin [last name] was apparently both hilarious and infuriating.

And he kept being mistaken for his mother on the phone.

Not sure how, I'm pretty sure he could have been mistaken for a bear in bad lighting.  But there you go...

I was named after my mother. I'm Patrick, my mother is Patricia and goes by Patti. Got misadressed and misforwarded mail for years. Also confused people for years growing up answering the phone,"Pat there?" "Male or female?"

"By trying to please everyone he had pleased no one, and lost his ass in the bargain." - Aesop 2,500 years ago.
Level 4 Half Ogre Ranger
STR 6|DEX 4|STA 13|CON 11|WIS 5|CHA 8
Zombies, Run! Profile

I get asked frequently on the phone "is your mother home" (I'm 36) I always answer "I have no idea she lives three thousand miles away".... sigh

(sent by the phone. .. all mistakes are the phones fault)

Level 10.4 Wood-Elf, Ranger - specializing in demon fighting

"doing the impossible since 2012 :D" - Librarian of Doom

facebook battle log level 50 WOOT   Backstory CNF2014  current (not challenge - doing a battle log this time)

Spoiler

* This is the day the Lord has made, rejoice in it and be glad. God, The Bible. * Do or do not, there is no try. - Yoda
* There are three options in this life; be good, get good, or give up. -- House * Never take counsel of your fears. Stonewall Jackson. 

* level 50 isn't gonna just POOF happen - alienjenn, NF IRC chatroom

* I'm not about to give up - Because I heard you say - There's gonna be brighter days… I won't stop, I'll keep my head up - No, I'm not here to stay ...  - 

I just might bend but I won't break - As long as I can see your face - When life won't play along - And right keeps going wrong - And I can't seem to find my way - I know where I am found - So I won't let it drag me down - Oh, I'll keep dancing anyway - Mercy Me - Move

Got this one today:

"You can't be strong, you don't even go to the gym!"

Bodyweight home workouts apparently don't count as "really working out."

• Like 1

Lever 3 Survivor - STR:5/DEX:2,75/STA:6/CON:3,5/WIS:3/CHA:1

Challenges: 1 | 2

Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn

"A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects." — Robert Heinlein

Got this one today:

"You can't be strong, you don't even go to the gym!"

Bodyweight home workouts apparently don't count as "really working out."

Buhwha? I guess I was imagining that sweat pouring down my face last night while I did squats and push-ups. What an idiot.

Battle log

Current Challenge

Handy linky.

That was about my reaction. I was completely baffled - still am, actually.

Lever 3 Survivor - STR:5/DEX:2,75/STA:6/CON:3,5/WIS:3/CHA:1

Challenges: 1 | 2

Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn

"A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects." — Robert Heinlein

One from my husband that kills me every time. When I complain that I feel fat, he INSTANTLY retorts “you saying you’re fat makes actually fat people feel bad.†So… basically because I feel heavy and uncomfortable and I am at the most I have ever weighed, I’m not allowed to vent that I feel fat? Each person’s experience is relative to what they have felt personally in their lives. I understand I am not morbidly obese… but for me, I feel fat. Just makes me wanna punch him in the throat. In the nicest, most loving way possible. Because I get what he is saying, I just can’t stand hearing it one more time.

Also “you are such a bird belly!†Yes. This is how I gained 60lbs. By being a “bird bellyâ€.

Also “You have nothing to worry about.†Yes, I do. Healthy is not just a cross your fingers and hope thing. It’s something that takes commitment.

Also “don’t worry about it, it’s just one day.†One day of eating poorly and thinking that way basically resets the counter to 0, so back off when I measure my food and think about what I choose to put in my body.

Level 24 Frost Archer ᕦ(ò_óˇ)ᕤ

Current Challenge: thekatisalie is back :: no seriously this time

MyFitnessPal || Strava || SmashRun || Twitch

I Instagram. I tweet. I cosplay

One from my husband that kills me every time. When I complain that I feel fat, he INSTANTLY retorts “you saying you’re fat makes actually fat people feel bad.†So… basically because I feel heavy and uncomfortable and I am at the most I have ever weighed, I’m not allowed to vent that I feel fat? Each person’s experience is relative to what they have felt personally in their lives. I understand I am not morbidly obese… but for me, I feel fat. Just makes me wanna punch him in the throat. In the nicest, most loving way possible. Because I get what he is saying, I just can’t stand hearing it one more time.

Also “you are such a bird belly!†Yes. This is how I gained 60lbs. By being a “bird bellyâ€.

Also “You have nothing to worry about.†Yes, I do. Healthy is not just a cross your fingers and hope thing. It’s something that takes commitment.

Also “don’t worry about it, it’s just one day.†One day of eating poorly and thinking that way basically resets the counter to 0, so back off when I measure my food and think about what I choose to put in my body.

Ahh, enablers, where would we be without them? Probably a lot further along, darn it.

A coworker, in response to my saying I was getting in shape : "Oh, but we are used to the way you look now". So? I'm doing this for myself, not for you! I'm surrounded by enablers at work!

Battle log

Current Challenge

Handy linky.

Exactly. My feelings are my feelings. And my feelings are relative to my experiences in life. This being the heaviest I have ever been leads me to feeling fat. Logically I know I'm not, but relative to the past, I am. For me.

I was unaware a "feeling" of fatness wad anything to do with actual body composition.

Damn I learned something new.

Also wasn't aware my feelings about my body were relevant to how someone else about their body. Their feelings... Their business.

^^ This. So much this.

I think this also goes the other way when you get judged for working out and eating healthy and people give you shit because you're a health snob or something. Happens to me at work all the time and I just want to be like, "I don't give a shit what you do with your body!!"

Amazon Warrior

29, F, 5'11 ft, 159lbs

#1, #2, #3, #4, #5

This makes me so frustrated for you!  Feeling not so great about yourself is not the greatest time to try to make you feel bad about feeling bad.  Because clearly that will make you feel better.

This makes me so frustrated for you!  Feeling not so great about yourself is not the greatest time to try to make you feel bad about feeling bad.  Because clearly that will make you feel better.

Right? He just doesn't seem to get it. He really thinks he is helping me see myself better... but it just makes me feel terrible for feeling terrible.

^^ This. So much this.

I think this also goes the other way when you get judged for working out and eating healthy and people give you shit because you're a health snob or something. Happens to me at work all the time and I just want to be like, "I don't give a shit what you do with your body!!"

And I used to tease people at work for “eating to healthy†and not “giving in†once in awhile. After having started to really change my diet and my life, I never make a comment on what someone eats. Never. Healthy, unhealthy… They are choosing what they do with their body. I have no right to tell them they are wrong.

• Like 1

When I was letting myself gain weight and not really thinking about it, it was always "Oh aren't you getting a little chunky" and "you better start watching what you eat". Now that I am trying to get healthier and smallers it's always "Don't eat too little" and "Don't work out too hard". And from the same people. Apparently I can only be eating everything in sight or NOTHING. They don't understand that I get moderation and I'm being very careful with myself. I've even told them and they still watch me like any second I'm going to give in and eat a whole cake or turn anorexic.

Starting weight: 195    Now weight: 160

A past will chase you if you try to escape from it, but once you confront it, it's just an old memory inside you.

One from my husband that kills me every time. When I complain that I feel fat, he INSTANTLY retorts “you saying you’re fat makes actually fat people feel bad.” So… basically because I feel heavy and uncomfortable and I am at the most I have ever weighed, I’m not allowed to vent that I feel fat? Each person’s experience is relative to what they have felt personally in their lives. I understand I am not morbidly obese… but for me, I feel fat. Just makes me wanna punch him in the throat. In the nicest, most loving way possible. Because I get what he is saying, I just can’t stand hearing it one more time.

Also “you are such a bird belly!” Yes. This is how I gained 60lbs. By being a “bird belly”.

Also “You have nothing to worry about.” Yes, I do. Healthy is not just a cross your fingers and hope thing. It’s something that takes commitment.

Also “don’t worry about it, it’s just one day.” One day of eating poorly and thinking that way basically resets the counter to 0, so back off when I measure my food and think about what I choose to put in my body.

I agree with you that you're justified in feeling that way. However, he does have a point. Any time my wife voices that she feels fat, it makes me feel like she must think I'm Jaba the Hutt. If she thinks she's fat, what the hell must she think of me?

Massrandir, Barkûn, Swolórin, The Whey Pilgrim
500 / 330 / 625
Challenges: 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 31 32 34 35 36 39 41 42 45 46 47 48 49 Current Challenge
"No citizen has a right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable. " ~ Socrates
"Friends don't let friends squat high." ~ Chad Wesley Smith
"It's a dangerous business, Brodo, squatting to the floor. You step into the rack, and if you don't keep your form, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to." ~ Gainsdalf

it has nothing to do with you.

It's a personal feeling about ones state of being. 

I feel fat- and well... I'm not. And I know when i say that I feel fat- it offends some people- and some people REALLY get upset about it- hell I did it to my roommate/best friend many moons ago- she was gripping about feeling fat (she's 30 lbs lighter than me) and I was like SERIOUSLY ENOUGH.  You're making me feel REALLY AWFUL.  

I guess there is a difference between functioning/wallow in that mental state of being -and just saying- god I feel fat today.  and then moving on with your life. 

Everyone has fat days- it's reality.  I can understand both sides- but as I've grown up- I have come to realize- my feelings are my own- and when I unloaded on my roommate for making me feel like  a fat ass- I was partially wrong. As a friend she should have been more attentive to the fact I have had times where I struggled with accepting my weight... just as much as she struggled with NOT having a beer.  it's a give and take- but ultimately I think we need to be adults and realize our feelings our our own- and theirs are their's. 

• Like 1