Staying on diet. Help

Cienfuegos

My main goal is to lose enough weight to be able to see my "abs". As it is right now...I can't do that. I just don't have the motivation for it I think. I have the diet that I need (I got a specific diet plan from a crossfit trainer). And I know the workouts to do. But I guess I use food for comfort. I never thought that before today.

I will buy $65 in food at Wal-Mart and cook some of it and save some for later in the week...and still go out to eat at Taco Bell and BK and stuff like that. I don't think it's because I'm lazy...because I have a lot of my food already cooked and ready for me. Just pop it in the nuker and it's hot. But I will ignore that food in there and go get some Fast Food instead. I'm at a loss for "tricks" to make myself eat better all the time.

And it's a vicious circle...I'll eat junk food then decide not to go work out because it doesn't matter when I eat the junk food.

So, the reason I'm writing this post is to ask for and Tips or Tricks you find Rebels have for maintaining a diet. Anything is useful...I think I have a motivation issue too...But at the same time I AM motivated to do it and get out there...I just don't.

Steve responded to an e-mail I wrote him saying "I don't want to hear any excuses. Maybe you're not ready for this yet - there's absolutely no shame in that. I can't give you motivation or inspiration. I can only lead by example - you need to look within you for that motivation in order to succeed."...and of course he is right.

Thanks in advance,

Dark

"I am the greatest, I said that even before I knew I was. I figured that if I said it enough, I would convince the world that I really was the greatest. "- Muhammad Ali

Well, you have to want it. Bad. I had a meltdown of epic poportions last month where I realized I was killing myself through my diet. Because no matter how hard I worked out in the gym, I couldn't out-swing, lift, squat, or run off a pizza, burgers, fries, cookies, or a 6-pack of donuts.

What diet are you following? If you're really wanting abs, I know that eatstopeat, leangains, primal blueprint, or paleo can all work. But you need to stop eating crap. That means very little in the way of recreational drinking too. Until you get your stress/life under control I wouldn't bother with intermittent fasting. Save that for the last months. If you really need it...

I ate crap till my trainer asked how I was doing (bad!), and then gave me the assignment to do 200 kettlebell swings (100 the day of, 100 + normal workout the day after) every time I ate bad ( to me, that's anything off the primal or paleo eating list).

It worked. I had thoughts of what I wanted, but I didn't realize how to get from my bad phase to good. I don't like doing extra work for something I don't need. That formed the mental discipline for the last several weeks of my eating habits.

I'm on day 18 of my new lifestyle/diet change, and I feel great. I haven't had one cheat meal, and the cravings disappeared after about 7 days. I have eaten out a total of 5 times (and stayed on my eating plan), where previously that might be the total for 3 days. I've lost an 1 1/2 inches in my waist, and 14 pounds. I realize that circumstances are always different, but wherever you are, you need to summon the courage to <insert favorite curse word> DO IT!

Stop messing around, stop believing the lies you're telling yourself, and get out of the junk food section of wal-mart. At least shop the edges, stay away from the junk, say no to fast food, and just live life with the mindset that this ends here. No backsliding, no excuses, and the realization that you want to be different.

Or keep on where you're going, and when you're ready, come back and talk. I'll be here to help, to give advice and support, and make sure that you get through the rough patches. Sometimes you're not going to hear stuff that's nice or pleasant, but I would rather see you broken, pissed off and going forward, than wondering "why am I still fat?". No progress is made without suffering, without pain, or without giving up something like our food addictions and emotional eating.

If this sounds a little twisted I'm sorry, and you have to have a camera phone with the ability to text pictures or at least upload them...1st: text all of your friends/family and tell them that you are seriously trying to cut fast food out of your life and want to be healthier and then tell them that you will be texting them pictures periodically for motivation...then go buy the fast food or that candy bar but before you eat it take a picture of the food with a camera then send the picture to those friends and/or save it in a folder to either post on here, on your comp desktop, or print them and hang em up. Do not limit it to just taking pictures of the bad stuff, take pictures of the good stuff too. The shame of showing that you are about to eat bad food may make you think twice, and the praise you may receive from good food will encourage you. It's some but not alot of work but I have seen it help people before. Some even got down to the nitty gritty and took pics of drinks.

Also, another solution a diet log...log it all everything you eat and review it 3 times a day livestrong.com has a great calorie counter using myplate.com and group to go with it. Once you input your stats and the amount of weight you want to lose per week it will give you your recommended daily allowance for everything to reach that goal. Including cals, fat, carbs, and protein. It will tell you how many cals you have left for the day to stay under or how many you went over if you did. It even tracks for the week and month. Plus it has everything. You order a whopper with cheese...just type in whopper with cheese and it comes up. Just don't lie to yourself about what you really ate. If you drank a 44 oz coke its gonna slap 500 cals on you and have no problem pushing you into the red. Also when you enter your stats put down that you have a sedentary lifestyle. I am in the army and still consider my life sedentary. Good luck and I'll keep trying to think.

Also do not "reward" yourself with your vice...its still a problem for an addict if he rewards himself with crack for staying off crack for 2 weeks. Instead buy something else. You stayed away from junk food for 2 weeks, use the money to buy a new XBOX game or new lifting gloves or pedometer and what not. I'm also kind of disappointed in Steve's response to you I gotta say. There is always a way and there is always encouragement, giving up on a person is not the answer because that means they are quicker to give up on themselves.

@Clawed_Bear: I am doing the Zone Diet. It is pretty nice. It helps balance out carbs/fats/proteins. And uses the glycemic index to help with the food and stuff like that. I enjoyed it when I did it for a week straight...then got off of it somehow. I only drink alcohol three or four times a YEAR...so that's not an issue. I only secondhand smoke too. And I know what you mean about thinking "this ends here" with no backsliding...or excuses or all that other stuff. I guess I just need to set my mind to force myself to not accept eating out as an option. I think that's the issue too...if I have extra money I will spend it. And I would much rather spend it on some expensive electronic gadget and fast food than on something else or save it. Hah. I need to get over that. And by the way...I like hearing stuff without the sugar coating. I was never one to be sweet to people when they were either undeserving of it...or needed the harshness.

@1fever: First of all...Steve hasn't given up on me. He pretty much said to me what Clawed_Bear did "Or keep on where you're going, and when you're ready, come back and talk. I'll be here to help, to give advice and support, and make sure that you get through the rough patches." Which I like hearing that from people like Steve...especially seeing how much knowledge he has and all that. And he has experience with people like me...so he knows what I need.

The whole taking pictures of what I'm eating and sending them to friends/family seems odd...but it seems like it would work as well. I can just imagine people getting a picture of a double whopper with cheese then calling me to yell at me. I have never had any luck with a diet log...or calorie counter. Or even a workout log. Hell...I don't even write down my bank account spending/deposits. So the diet log option is out. I think I need to do as Clawed suggested and just don't allow anything that I shouldn't have. No excuses.

Thanks for the quick responses guys! I appreciate it. And anyone else with any ideas/advice just post it!

"I am the greatest, I said that even before I knew I was. I figured that if I said it enough, I would convince the world that I really was the greatest. "- Muhammad Ali

If you have issues with calorie counting, weighing, or logging, can I suggest paleo? or primal blueprint? It's more about eating to satiety than worrying about calorie counting, logging, or blocks of food.

Read Robb Wolf's book "the paleo solution". Or "The primal blueprint" by Mark Sisson. Zone is good, but if you're trying to get on track, I'd say paleo is better, at least in the beginning...I looked at zone and would die. I refuse to weigh and measure food...especially if you're having issues staying on it, lowering the stress and compliance level would be a huge step in your favor. I know that's why I started primal blueprint in the beginning, and now I'm at about 95 % compliant to the ideas of paleo + milk.

The fuel for long term motivation comes from within, what he lacks is a spark to ignite it. Just like my soldiers outrunning me and just like your research into Thyroid issues there is something that ignites it. Whether it comes from somewhere else or it comes from this board doesn't matter we have to try. Now I don't know the context of the whole email or the conversation between the two of them but the in quote he presented, Steve may have been correct, but it was far from motivating, encouraging, or supportive. Support is what you are here for, I am here for the same and some motivation. So is Dark. Sure lead by example as it should be but with all of these smart fitness minded people here, we can come up with outside of the box ideas. If he is seeking support and hears sorry we got nothing then we are not supportive. General Hal Moore used to say three strikes and you are not out, there is always one more strike. Whether his one more strike comes from us or from somewhere else it has to come or we fail him and he fails himself. So the sooner we eliminate what doesn't work, we can get down to business on what does.

@Clawed_Bear: I am doing the Zone Diet. It is pretty nice. It helps balance out carbs/fats/proteins. And uses the glycemic index to help with the food and stuff like that. I enjoyed it when I did it for a week straight...then got off of it somehow. I only drink alcohol three or four times a YEAR...so that's not an issue. I only secondhand smoke too. And I know what you mean about thinking "this ends here" with no backsliding...or excuses or all that other stuff. I guess I just need to set my mind to force myself to not accept eating out as an option. I think that's the issue too...if I have extra money I will spend it. And I would much rather spend it on some expensive electronic gadget and fast food than on something else or save it. Hah. I need to get over that. And by the way...I like hearing stuff without the sugar coating. I was never one to be sweet to people when they were either undeserving of it...or needed the harshness.

@1fever: First of all...Steve hasn't given up on me. He pretty much said to me what Clawed_Bear did "Or keep on where you're going, and when you're ready, come back and talk. I'll be here to help, to give advice and support, and make sure that you get through the rough patches." Which I like hearing that from people like Steve...especially seeing how much knowledge he has and all that. And he has experience with people like me...so he knows what I need.

The whole taking pictures of what I'm eating and sending them to friends/family seems odd...but it seems like it would work as well. I can just imagine people getting a picture of a double whopper with cheese then calling me to yell at me. I have never had any luck with a diet log...or calorie counter. Or even a workout log. Hell...I don't even write down my bank account spending/deposits. So the diet log option is out. I think I need to do as Clawed suggested and just don't allow anything that I shouldn't have. No excuses.

Thanks for the quick responses guys! I appreciate it. And anyone else with any ideas/advice just post it!

Yeah I figured you had tried the log thing...and I don't think Steve has given up I just think we can do better then sending you off in hopes you come back...I think you should stay and seek your inspiration because it may come from here. But the camera thing is weird but you seem to be an extreme case...

Another extreme idea...take pictures of yourself in your most unhealthy positions and place them in high visibility areas...your wallet, your bathroom mirror you dash board and they can serve as a reminder of what you don't want to be anymore and give you a second thought on the drive thru...you will have to stare at yourself as you order, that can be tough

I'm gonna side with Clawed on this one (and as per usual, take it to the next level :) )- if you don't have the discipline to balance your checkbook, how the hell are you expected to count Zone blocks? Sisson and/or Wolf are your new diet idols. Your new food pyramid has meat at the base, then veggies, then fats (like olive oil), then nuts, then fruits. Bread/pasta/grain and sugar are not on this pyramid.

People respond to inputs differently- I generally don't respond well to the "I'm disappointed in you" routine, nor the "I'm angered that you're not doing better" routine. I need a little positive reinforcement- like a couple of fingers under the bar when I'm benching. It's all me doing the work, I just don't have faith in myself and need a little mental reinforcement. So if you're like me, and if you think it will help, I can fly down to AL, slap that Double Whopper with cheese out of your mouth, tell you it makes me sad to see you eat that way, then hand you a steak. :)

Now to the question posed in your original post: how do -I- stay on diet? This month I'm not having any cheat meals (and gods know I've been tempted -several- times) becasue I promised the Chattiest Squad EVER that I would refrain from cheats, mostly out of solidarity with Clawed and Werwolf. I expect that they will not backslide because I am not backsliding. And I won't slide, even if both of them post up to their threads that they're sick of this shit and are gonna eat whatever they want. Because that's what I said I would (or would not) do and I'm going to do my best to stick to it. So we're sharing the discomfort of temptation.

I also tell myself that I know that gluten and sugar make me feel like utter crap. They completely sap my energy, make me irritable (yes, this is me in a good mood- pity my wife :) ) and then I say something that pisses someone off. I'll spare you digestive details.

I know that when I stick to my paleo I generally feel good and have energy for my workouts. Some days nuts don't agree with me. Some days I need a little more coffee to get going. But at least I know that baseline, I'm good. FWIW I did have a triple Whopper with cheese and bacon -no bun- on Monday becasue I was traveling (it's still Paleo, Clawed ;) ) and it tasted like crap. I can totally taste the chemicals in the tomatoes, the fakeness of the cheese, the blandness (and gross texture) of the "meat." Then there's the sodium content. I retained so much water that it took until last night for my body to start releasing the retained water, and I peed every 40 minutes for like four hours (that's before, between and after a 4-episode marathon of Twin Peaks while I job surfed after my workout :D ). So in my case, and apparently it's common, trying to go back to crap food just doesn't work because the body becomes sensitized to avoid bad food on several levels.

Try sticking to a plan, any plan, for three weeks. A month is better. Maybe make it a 28 day challenege for April (starting the 11th?) Then on the day after the last day go wild. See how you feel. Find out what the food tastes like.

I read a study once that said doing ANYTHING in the gym is more anabolic than doing NOTHING sitting in front of the computer.

~Chris Shugart @ T-nation

Iron is full of impurities that weaken it: through forging, it becomes steel and is

transformed into a razor-sharp sword. Human beings develop in the same fashion.

~Morihei Ueshiba

Favorites:

* Robb Wolf Podcast #68- Matt Lalonde vs gluten (<-transcript)

*Documentary: Fat Head

*NF blog:Most Inspirational 20 Minutes

*Starting Strength Wiki

@Gowaduv: It's not that I don't have the discipline for the checkbook..I'm so awesome I don't need the checkbook :-) (or just use online banking/calling my bank if unsure). But I don't have discipline for working out by myself (which is why I am [or should be] going to crossfit workouts.). I don't have the discipline for eating correctly...but I need to stop saying that I don't have the discipline and just convince myself that I do.

I don't know how many people here read Lifehacker.com...but I found something on there a week or so ago about how to get rid of bad habits. And one thing they mentioned was that you need to change the way you think. If you want to lose weight and start eating right...think like someone who has lost weight and that eats right. If they would think your food is disgusting...then you should think that way too. If they would think "I'm sitting a lot and need to go to the gym." then that's what you need to be thinking. I have been doing a lot of thinking today...trying to figure out what my triggers are (the things that make me buy a large pizza from Little Ceasars and eat it...). Work is an issue for me. That translates to stress. Which means I need to find more ways to get rid of stress without tying my food patterns into it. I should just think of meals as necessary items that cannot be shifted.

If I thought of meals as certain items that I cannot change...that might help me where I wouldn't consciously think "I know I have meat and veggies in there...but let's put on clothes...get my wallet, keys, and phone...go to my truck and go to Taco Bell" I would just think "After I eat this meal I will go do such and such". Hmm...

Also what you said about those foods making you irritable and just making you feel like poo...A couple years ago I did really well with my diet and workout...lost 40lbs in the course of 3 months. During this time I decided to eat at Sonic one day...and threw up. It was pretty bad. And even right now my stomach is sort of upset (just a tad...but enough to feel it) from the pizza I had earlier.

Thanks again everyone for your comments! It helps me think when there are more experienced people around to answer my questions.

Darkkent,

You DO have the discipline. I know exactly where you are right now. I was there for years. Wishing I could do something, and wanting it, and making plans, and then allowing myself to sabotage my goals, then shrugging and saying I don't have the discipline. Know what is standing in your way right now? You are. Nothing but you, and the choices that you choose daily. Whatever your reasons for not letting yourself realize your dreams (and we all have something), it doesn't matter. It's not about discipline, it's about choices. Making the correct actions, every day, never expecting them to be effortless and easy, but making that choice. Every time you do it, it gets easier, but you will always have your bad days, you can always backslide. That's okay. Because your desire to choose progress and right is stronger than your desire to choose easy and bad. You just need to let yourself, and not stand in your own way.

I have committed to eat well every day, and exercise 6 days a week. When I think to myself "okay, time to go work out", every time, EVERY TIME, my immediate thought is "Eh, I don't want to. I'll do it later". Or rather, my immediate thought is "eh, I....No. F**k it, lets go. Right now." I WILL talk myself out of it if I let myself, so I don't even finish the thought. I interrupt it, and realize yes, that is the right thing, I know it's the right thing, lets do it. I know the right choice to make, and I allow myself to make it, without dragging out a whole lot of bullshit starting from "read for 20 minutes first" all the way up to "Too tired, why bother, I'll do it tomorrow". Don't even start. It's a trick your mind will try to play because it has worked in the past, but you won't let it. When you think "I want fastfood", you recognize it for the trap it is, spare an amused and condescending thought for the part of you that thinks such petty tricks will work, and say "No. I don't want fastfood. Its gross and chemically and greasy and makes me feel terrible and brings me one step further from my goals that I'm working so hard for. No." And then you end that topic of conversation with yourself. Your decision is made.

You can beat this. It won't be as easy as you hope, but it will be easier than you're afraid of.

"Let another say. 'Perhaps the worst will not happen.' You yourself must say. 'Well, what if it does happen? Let us see who wins!' ".

- Seneca, 63 AD

"There is no better way to fight weakness than with strength." - Henry Rollins

Alethea...You're pretty awesome. Thanks for that post. That is pretty much how I am "I can go to they gym..." "well...so and so might be there." or "I don't know exactly what I want to do" or "my ex girlfriend might see me...and I don't look good" etc.

A "technique" I used to get over ex-girlfriends before is any time I would start to think about them or anything having to do with them...I would stop that thought immediately and think of something else. It worked and became second nature after a while. So I understand what you are talking about when you said you interrupt the thought before it can talk you out of it.

You can beat this. It won't be as easy as you hope, but it will be easier than you're afraid of.

I like that. I like accepting things as they are...but realizing they aren't as bad as you think. Again...you're awesome, eh :)

Thank you Werwolf. I looked at a few of the posts just a minute ago and I think you're right. It seems like I will find a lot of support and advice there...just from reading it.

+1 DKP to Steve for these forums and his website!

DK - its all about just making yourself doing it. Seriously.

I used to be a lot heavier than I am now. I didn't use any magical pill or anything to lose the weight. I just decided I wanted to do it and did it.

Yeah, it was hard.

Steve's right though - it's all excuses. I tried a ton of times to lose the weight and didn't. Because I didn't want it enough. I wasn't ready.

I think one of the hardest parts is the beginning. Once you get going the excitement of success definitely helps carry you.

Think of your fast food addiction as any other addiction. I also used to smoke, and actually have found that giving up sugar is HARDER for me than giving up nicotine.

For sticking with the diet - Why not cook a bunch at the beginning of the week and make your own tv dinners? So all you have to do is pop them in the microwave?

I prepare most of my meals on sunday... that way when i get home from work I can have dinner ready to go in under ten minutes.

Also, if you keep fruit or veggies with you at all times.... like, say, bags of carrots. Instead of going through the McDonalds drive through, grab a bag of carrots and start munching?

“There's only one rule that I know of, babies—God damn it, you've got to be kind.”

I actually do cook most of my food at the beginning of the week (More like Thursdays since that's my payday) and then just have the food ready to be microwaved. And I still go out and eat.

I'm going to attempt to be a friggen Nike commercial from now on...and just do it. Going to try no more excuses...going to try to say no to my addictions.

Also Spezzy...I don't see how a woman your size could ever have been considered "heavy" even if you have lost weight. lol But good job anyways :)

I actually don't go "out" much. As in...I'm a homebody really. My work schedule has it where I come in early and sometimes don't leave for 9 hours. Then get an hour break then go back to work. So that's one excuse I have a lot is that I just don't have the time to eat right. And I know I do...I just don't do it. So keeping fruits/veggies with me at all times would be impractical in the sense that I'm usually at home or at work...so there isn't a big need. I do sometimes bring a zone diet snack to work with me though.

I actually do cook most of my food at the beginning of the week (More like Thursdays since that's my payday) and then just have the food ready to be microwaved. And I still go out and eat.

I'm going to attempt to be a friggen Nike commercial from now on...and just do it. Going to try no more excuses...going to try to say no to my addictions.

Also Spezzy...I don't see how a woman your size could ever have been considered "heavy" even if you have lost weight. lol But good job anyways :)

I actually don't go "out" much. As in...I'm a homebody really. My work schedule has it where I come in early and sometimes don't leave for 9 hours. Then get an hour break then go back to work. So that's one excuse I have a lot is that I just don't have the time to eat right. And I know I do...I just don't do it. So keeping fruits/veggies with me at all times would be impractical in the sense that I'm usually at home or at work...so there isn't a big need. I do sometimes bring a zone diet snack to work with me though.

yeah, sounds like you just need to do it :) and trust me, i KNOW how hard it is.

i keep fresh fruits and veggies with me at all times... and im mostly at home/work too :)

you should see the insane bag of food i bring with me to work every day. there are days when i dont get to leave for 12-15 hours, so keeping food with me is imperative or i'll go crazy/to the vending machine :)

“There's only one rule that I know of, babies—God damn it, you've got to be kind.”

yeah, sounds like you just need to do it :) and trust me, i KNOW how hard it is.

i keep fresh fruits and veggies with me at all times... and im mostly at home/work too :)

you should see the insane bag of food i bring with me to work every day. there are days when i dont get to leave for 12-15 hours, so keeping food with me is imperative or i'll go crazy/to the vending machine :)

I'm the only person I see walking into the building with an insulated lunchbox in the morning, but I don't care. I need food that's good for me and I need it close at hand. :) These other people can go down and buy just whatever's on offer at the cafeteria or crap from the newsstand, but that's not my style.

I am doing the Zone Diet. It is pretty nice. It helps balance out carbs/fats/proteins. And uses the glycemic index to help with the food and stuff like that. I enjoyed it when I did it for a week straight...then got off of it somehow.

I never had any luck with a diet log...or calorie counter. Or even a workout log.

Ok, so I'm not sure if this is just your writing style, but I noticed in the 2 examples above and elsewhere that you aren't really taking responsibility for when these attempts don't work out. You "somehow' got off a diet and had "no luck" with food logging. I don't buy it. Sorry to be a little harsh, but it sounds to me like you need someone to say that you got you where you are and you aren't going to get where you want to be without realizing that you are the only person who can get you there.

Also, I am a huge advocate of logging your food. Even if you are eating badly. Just write it down. This immediately does 2 things. It makes you think before you eat something because you will have to write it down, and it helps you to identify trends in your eating and triggers for bad eating. Try it for a week and look at the list as a whole. I can see how food logging might not useful if you are just keeping track of calories like points. You are just doing an audit of your food, you can learn a lot and become a lot more mindful of your portions and habits.

Last advice, if your goal is to have visible abs, it might be helpful to have performance goals along the way. To be able to do a pull up or 5 or 10, to run x miles etc. I have found, when it is all about looking a certain way, it is easy to get discouraged along the way. When I focus on being able to do more physical activity, I am more consistently motivated.

I've faced down many of these "Sith" of which you speak and more often than not I'm winning my battles, so...

You say you cook then go out to eat anyway.

• Do you not like what you cook? Why are you going out to eat instead of eating what you made?
  • What do you order? When I go out to eat, I eat right at the restaurant AND I get a TINY something to scratch the bad for me itch.
  • Perhaps food is only 75% prepped and you need to bang some pots in the Kitchen? I recommend a slow cooker. NOTHING makes me NOT want to go out than when I walk in the door after my workout and am greeted with the smell of something very nummy ready to eat! They start as low as $25. Another $5 will buy a wall timer if you need to set up a remote start.
You say that you don't workout because after you eat bad you feel discouraged
  • So? The ONLY way to workout is to find something you enjoy - that you do whether you've eaten Chicken Fried Steak OR a steak salad.
  • Do you have anyone you go exercise with? Someone who EXPECTS you to be there?
  • When does the cycle stop? I don't workout because I eat bad - I eat bad because I didn't workout.
Long hours at work - I get this, I've been there. You work 12 hours straight and get 30 minutes for lunch and want to go and get something fast and enjoy being waited on. When I am at the Y, doing my crazy WoD and I think "Oh hell, I can't do this" - I realize that the only person I'd be letting down is myself. This makes me continue to push. This makes me continue to log my food. This makes me continue to think "Do I REALLY want that donut?" when someone puts a plate 3 inches in front of my face and lies to me, saying "one won't hurt".

When even THAT doesn't motivate me, and my addiction to what's bad kicks in (Darth Sloth and Lardo the Hutt) - I fall back on what they teach in AA (go go Social Worker parents) "One day at a time". If a Day is too big, "One hour at a time". If an hour is too big, "One minute at a time".

Remember the following - If I can do it, ANYONE can do it!

Also remember - You have to want it! No one can do it for you!

I never had success following other peoples' "diet" plans. What finally worked for me was simply calorie counting. I could eat what I wanted provided it fit within the calorie goal I set. As such, I didn't get trashed by insane cravings for pizza, burgers, etc.

The more limited your food choices are, the less likely it will lead to a long-term habit and the more likely it will lead to crashing and burning.

Repairing a lifetime of bad habits...

As much as I want to argue with your second point (I somehow don't feel like I'm limiting my food choices when I'm eating a 15oz t-bone...) I would rather agree with your first. To that end, I once again recommend the documentary "Fat Head" (avail streaming on Netflix) in which the documentarian eats only mcDonald's for 30 days, loses 12.5 pounds and his cholesterol scores become textbook perfect. It's not a life plan that I would follow, but it's n=1 evidence that a little restraint (keeping the calorie count below 2000) and a little extra exercise (he walked around his block a few extra times per week) can yield results.

I read a study once that said doing ANYTHING in the gym is more anabolic than doing NOTHING sitting in front of the computer.

~Chris Shugart @ T-nation

Iron is full of impurities that weaken it: through forging, it becomes steel and is

transformed into a razor-sharp sword. Human beings develop in the same fashion.

~Morihei Ueshiba

Favorites:

* Robb Wolf Podcast #68- Matt Lalonde vs gluten (<-transcript)

*Documentary: Fat Head

*NF blog:Most Inspirational 20 Minutes

*Starting Strength Wiki

DarkKent,

I've given up sweet junk food for Lent.

I'll eat dinner and see my family chowing down on ice cream and danishes less than half an hour later and I get insanely hungry. The thing it reminds me of is something that happened when I was younger in middle school. One day, I forgot to eat breakfast, forgot my lunch money and then had to go to a dentist appointment. Got home later just to realize I still couldn't eat because if the stuff they use and having to wait an hour before you eat or drink anything, so I sat down at the table watching everybody eat, waiting for the rest of the half hour to go by. That's how bad the food cravings get everyday.

However, I'm Catholic, and I keep a Cross around my neck that my girlfriend made for me, and a copy of The Ranger Creed stapled inside of my notebook so I always end up not eating the junk. Find that one thing that you can keep on you at all times, like a folded up article you printed, or a picture of something you'll buy yourself when you hit your goal, and look at it often.

If you think discipline is your problem, get yourself disciplined, knock off the sorry for yourself crap, and take responsibility.