• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
The Mouse

Bamboo Shoot Chips?

Hey, guys!

So I recently bought myself a mandolin (and then sliced a flap into my thumb and nail on Monday, but it's getting better!) and I've been getting more and more into veggie chips - especially 'cause I can't eat kale unless it's chipped. And because my boyfriend is a chronic snacker and is looking for more healthy options than the standard bag of Munchies or sugar-loaded dried fruit from the store.

So far, I've tried Nom Nom Paleo's King Oyster Mushroom Chips (so freakin' good), some kale chips and tried rutabaga chips (the ones I sliced my thumb open for and then didn't turn out).

But I'm looking more into a reduced-carb to try to shed some excess fat and I'm compiling a list of low-carb veggies to chip-ify.

One of the things I've come across is bamboo shoots. I've had bamboo shoots kinda semi-raw before and I love 'em, and I just found out that they have 0.6g net carbs for 1 cup. 

I'm wondering - has anyone tried bamboo shoot chips? If so, how did they turn out and do you have any tips? And if you haven't, do you have any favourite veggies to chip-ify?

I was watching Bizarre Foods America with Andrew Zimmerman. He was at a Korean grocery in Maryland and tried seaweed chips. I've never heard of them before and don't know how they were prepared, just thought it was interesting. His Korean guide said that they were his family's "potato chips" growing up.

Other than chipping Kale and sweet potatoes, my snacks mostly consist of pork rinds, cucumber slices & salsa, and carrots in almond butter.

I found a pretty awesome recipe for seaweed chips - I've been eaten those for a while, too. There's quite a few Asian markets in my city and they almost always stock huge containers of seaweed chips that I can gnaw through in seconds. 

Is your almond butter homemade, Steve?

Ouch...

Hopefully you can find a cheaper replacement in the near future. 

I'm figuring I may buy some bamboo shoot this weekend and experiment with chips with it.

I'll chip in (see what I did there?) with another vote for seaweed based snacks. I get them in Chinese supermarkets and they are so good.