Man the Oars! (Long-term rowing challenge)

Hello.

After mathing and geography-ing, I've come up with this: 4056km is the distance from Oslo, Norway to Cape Bauld, Newfoundland, Canada (where Leif Ericson is said to have wintered--Viking site).  The average longboat could move at about two knots on the open ocean, which means that the 4056km could be covered in 1095 hours.  Assuming the standard vika sjovar is two hours of rowing, the journey could be simulated by rowing for two hours a day for 548 days.  Since that's not reasonable, I'm going to try to do three hours of rowing (machine) per week until the time is covered.  If I do it by myself, it's going to take 365 weeks (roughly seven years).  As such, I was wondering if anyone would care to join me in logging the hours.

Thoughts?

P

I am completely in on this. I've logged about 700km since January, but 4000km is some good motivation to get me on the erg more.

Never think of pain or danger or enemies a moment longer than is necessary to fight them. -Ayn Rand

Amongst those less skilled you can see all this energy escaping through contorted faces, gritted teeth and tight shoulders that consume huge

amounts of effort but contribute nothing to achieving the task.

Hey Corbab,

Glad to have you onboard (pun unintended)!  If I may ask, how long do you stay on the erg at a time?  My cardiovascular system is a shadow of its former glory, and I'm just trying to work back up to half an hour at full resistance on that bastard (on lifting days.  Running and mobility go in between).  It's a humbling experience, rowing...

Regards,

P