Paleo Panic!

Ah Paleo...something that almost scares me shitless.

I have an associate that is on the Paleo diet and she loves it. She's also lost quite a bit of weight that is pretty noticeable. I know she's lost weight because of her massive diet change coupled with working but I'm jealous, in a good way. I wanna do that. I know I can but I'm scared.

Not that Paleo is a fad, it's actually a way of life that works. But please sweet baby Jesus, don't take away my sugar and grains. I love those two things more than a lot of things. And I mean a lot. I FREAKING LOVE THEM. I also find joy in baking (most the aspect of it's tasty even though I mostly give it away but it also is a stress reliever) so I find it difficult to cut my sugar out my life.

I would love to take life by the uterus and just do the Paleo life but I am scared. Of failure. Of missing food so terribly I'll binge. Of...just all of that.

Does anyone have any advice or tips? I know I can ease my way into it such as cutting down my grains and artificial sugars to say...twice a week but that freaks me out too. I have a lot of bread in the house.

Heeeeeeeeeelp <3

Tsundere
Level 1 Adventurer/Ranger, pseudo-ninja and Sailor Scout Rebel
STR: +0 || DEX: +0 || STA: +0 || CON: +0 || WIS: +0 || CHA: +0

"The past is seldom as we would have it. The future yet to be known. Embrace the present and strike all else from concern." - Spartacus

Rebel Ranger Debut

Sailor Tsundere's Battle Logs

Tsundere Tsunami - Personal Blog

1.  Are you sure paleo is for you?  why?  Why paleo?

2.  What do you want from a paleo life?

3.  Why do you think paleo will get you what you want?

4.  Are you ready?  Are you sure?  Really?  How do you know you're ready?

5.  Read It Starts with Food

and yeah, I'm paleo but for very specific reasons, etc.  There are so many options out there.  Why choose something you are panicking about when you haven't even started? 

I AM going the distance

'Cause all I wanna do is go the distance. Nobody's ever gone the distance with Creed, and if I can go that distance, you see, and that bell rings and I'm still standin', I'm gonna know for the first time in my life, see, that I weren't just another bum from the neighborhood.

If/when you do find out that Paleo is for you, you don't have to jump in and go full cold turkey on grains and sugar (although I've heard a lot of good stuff about the Whole30), you can build it slowly and progressively, go for only Paleo snacks, when you have that nailed down, add Paleo breakfasts, when comfortable with that, add Paleo lunches and then, when comfortable with that, Paleo dinners. And tada, you're full Paleo!

Another thing is that meals don't have to be always similar and especially not boring, there are so many Paleo/Primal blogs out there it's insane, here are a few ones to get your inspiration going:

http://paleodietlifestyle.com/paleo-diet-recipes/

http://nomnompaleo.com/recipeindex

http://paleomg.com/

http://www.amazingpaleo.com/

http://www.paleocupboard.com/

http://samuelsidler.com/paleo/

http://sharemastro.com/paleo/

http://www.primalpalate.com/

There are so many ways to make wonderful and tasty Paleo food that you won't feel the need revert to grains or sugar for papillary excitement :)

Also, if you go threw the recipe sections of these sites, you'll see that a lot of them include Paleo friendly cake recipes. So you don't even have to give up on baking, you can just bake differently with much healthier ingredients. I personally haven't tried any of the cake recipes but there certainly are quite a few that get my inner 50's cake-baking housewife excited! :D

Level 6 Amazon Assassin Ranger

challenges: #1 #2 #3 #4 #5

the rebuilding of the Amazon: #6

I second Cline.  If you're panicking about it now, I'm wondering what your motivation is to consider this kind of a lifestyle switch?  Which is not to say that your panic means you shouldn't.  I just mean you should look at the panic and see where it's coming from.  Also, there's something to be said for giving up on things you love the most, especially if you're wondering if they're bad for you.  In doing so, you might find that the good parts of those things come back to you in ways you didn't expect, leaving the unhealthy parts behind.

Baking was my therapy before paleo, so much so that I had a 5-yr plan, including business classes, to open my own bakery.  It's amazing how your plans can change when you just let something go.  I went paleo cold turkey August 2012 for my first NF challenge, and I haven't looked back since.  I grieved for a couple of months, and my baking blog died a sad death, but now I am a paleo food blogger and I find that cooking paleo food in the kitchen is infinitely more enjoyable to me because A) it's more of a challenge and B ) the end result that I stuff in my face is GOOD for me, not a "splurge" or a "cheat."   Making this transition has been one of the biggest learning experiences of my life; I think anyone who does it for the long haul goes through a lot of learning, trying and retrying things to see what works.  "Going paleo" isn't like flipping a light switch.  It's not a "you are or you aren't" kind of thing.  There are some common cornerstones to a paleo life but ultimately pretty much everybody does paleo a little differently, and one person may have variations of paleo that they go back and forth between depending on where they're at in life.  If you want to try transitioning into a paleo lifestyle, I definitely agree with asking yourself Cline's questions.  Figure out what you want to get out of this transition, because that's the only way you'll know what to look for when you're doing it, to know if you're doing it the right way for you.

1.  Are you sure paleo is for you?  why?  Why paleo?

2.  What do you want from a paleo life?

3.  Why do you think paleo will get you what you want?

4.  Are you ready?  Are you sure?  Really?  How do you know you're ready?

5.  Read It Starts with Food

and yeah, I'm paleo but for very specific reasons, etc.  There are so many options out there.  Why choose something you are panicking about when you haven't even started? 

1. Nope. Not sure at all. It could be or could not be. I've done my own bit of research about it but it hasn't helped me determine it one way or another.

2 and 3. I want to be cleaner and healthier. I know I can achieve this without Paleo or with it. I just feel like going through this process and actually sticking with it will not only make me cleaner and healthier but it'll prove a point for myself: I am not a slave to my food. I can actually cut out my sugars, dairy, grains, naughty stuff, etc and make this awesome change for the better.

4. I think if I were ready I wouldn't be panicking but it's kinda what I do anyway. But still pretty damn sure I'm not. I know there are tons of things out there or just different things I can do but I'm naturally a panicker or stresser. Just in my nature.

5. I'll throw it on my life.

Since you are Paleo, what's your reason behind it if you don't mind me asking?

Tsundere

"The past is seldom as we would have it. The future yet to be known. Embrace the present and strike all else from concern." - Spartacus

Rebel Ranger Debut

I just feel like going through this process and actually sticking with it will not only make me cleaner and healthier but it'll prove a point for myself: I am not a slave to my food. I can actually cut out my sugars, dairy, grains, naughty stuff, etc and make this awesome change for the better.

This is AWESOME.  :)

This is AWESOME.  :)

Thanks! It's something I hold very true though. I'm a failure. Time and again. Like...I fail...A LOT. I always say "I'm gonna do this! I PROMISE!" Then BAM! Not happening. And food and I have always been there to comfort each other but I hate relying on it. I know I eat like shit. I really know I do. Not to mention, my boyfriend has a diet that resembles that of a 10-year old but he also has a medical sickness and I know if I got him along on the ride, it would greatly benefit him too. Losing weight would be great but more than anything I just really want to break terrible cycles and habits and dependencies I've formed over the 23 years of being on this Earth. I

I want to make myself better.

Tsundere

Rebel Ranger Debut

If/when you do find out that Paleo is for you, you don't have to jump in and go full cold turkey on grains and sugar (although I've heard a lot of good stuff about the Whole30), you can build it slowly and progressively, go for only Paleo snacks, when you have that nailed down, add Paleo breakfasts, when comfortable with that, add Paleo lunches and then, when comfortable with that, Paleo dinners. And tada, you're full Paleo!

Another thing is that meals don't have to be always similar and especially not boring, there are so many Paleo/Primal blogs out there it's insane, here are a few ones to get your inspiration going:

http://paleodietlifestyle.com/paleo-diet-recipes/

http://nomnompaleo.com/recipeindex

http://paleomg.com/

http://www.amazingpaleo.com/

http://www.paleocupboard.com/

http://samuelsidler.com/paleo/

http://sharemastro.com/paleo/

http://www.primalpalate.com/

There are so many ways to make wonderful and tasty Paleo food that you won't feel the need revert to grains or sugar for papillary excitement :)

Also, if you go threw the recipe sections of these sites, you'll see that a lot of them include Paleo friendly cake recipes. So you don't even have to give up on baking, you can just bake differently with much healthier ingredients. I personally haven't tried any of the cake recipes but there certainly are quite a few that get my inner 50's cake-baking housewife excited! :D

I think I'm having small foodgasms looking at some of these recipes! They look AMAZING! And I don't have to give up baking...I'm saved!

Tsundere

Rebel Ranger Debut

Think of it this way:

the way you feel about all of those grains, the bread, the donuts, the bagels, etc., is an addiction.  The reason why you are so attached to those is because your body sees those as a cheap, easy, and fast access to calories.  Sugar is the same way.

Lvl 5 Penguin Warrior:  10 Str, 3.5 Dex, 6.5 STA, 23.5 CON, 12.25 WIS, 5.75 CHA

Intro | Current Challenge Thread | Character sheet
My Personal Blog | My Food Blog

There are no failures, only learning pains

Think of it this way:

the way you feel about all of those grains, the bread, the donuts, the bagels, etc., is an addiction.  The reason why you are so attached to those is because your body sees those as a cheap, easy, and fast access to calories.  Sugar is the same way.

Most definitely. I've been able to openly admit that I have an addiction to food as well as emotional eating. I've gotten a much better grasp on emotional eating but I am still most definitely addicted. Always have been. I'm proud that I can admit but ashamed I do nothing about it.

Tsundere

Rebel Ranger Debut

first, it's okay to fail.  And it's okay to fail re food.  AND it's OKAY to sometimes "cheat" or as I refer to it "eat off paleo".  It's okay.  Food is tasty.

If you aren't sure, start small with obtainable goals - like anything else, right?  You have the right approach - eat cleaner.  Start w sugar.  It's a biggie. BIGGIE.  Start with that for the next 6 week challenge.  How did you do?  Or some people start with cutting refined grains - bread, pasta, etc. but keep quinoa, rice, and so on.  That will help you find an awesome balance that works for you.

Also, if you quit cold turkey just to prove you can do it, what happens either a) once you prove you can do it? or B) if you mess up, fail, etc.? 

I cut a lot out of my diet quickly and some things slowly.  It evolved based on how I felt and how I was doing.  That was fine.  It was easier to stick with it.  Denial of things you love creates psychological cravings, unhappiness.  Once you give up sugar then you realize you didn't love it as much and it's easier to be without.  Just watch giving up everything all at once. 

I say:  start small, start easy.  Be successful, re-evaluate.  Add/subtract, etc.  find a balance.  This has 6 week challenge written all over it.

I AM going the distance

'Cause all I wanna do is go the distance. Nobody's ever gone the distance with Creed, and if I can go that distance, you see, and that bell rings and I'm still standin', I'm gonna know for the first time in my life, see, that I weren't just another bum from the neighborhood.

Most definitely. I've been able to openly admit that I have an addiction to food as well as emotional eating. I've gotten a much better grasp on emotional eating but I am still most definitely addicted. Always have been. I'm proud that I can admit but ashamed I do nothing about it.

oh and paleo is not about controlling your food stuff.  paleo won't do that for you.  It's perfectly fine to have food issues and to know you are addicted - lots and lots of people are.  but paleo won't fix that for you.  A hard core control of diet won't fix that either.  Ween off. 

I AM going the distance

first, it's okay to fail.  And it's okay to fail re food.  AND it's OKAY to sometimes "cheat" or as I refer to it "eat off paleo".  It's okay.  Food is tasty.

If you aren't sure, start small with obtainable goals - like anything else, right?  You have the right approach - eat cleaner.  Start w sugar.  It's a biggie. BIGGIE.  Start with that for the next 6 week challenge.  How did you do?  Or some people start with cutting refined grains - bread, pasta, etc. but keep quinoa, rice, and so on.  That will help you find an awesome balance that works for you.

Also, if you quit cold turkey just to prove you can do it, what happens either a) once you prove you can do it? or B) if you mess up, fail, etc.? 

I cut a lot out of my diet quickly and some things slowly.  It evolved based on how I felt and how I was doing.  That was fine.  It was easier to stick with it.  Denial of things you love creates psychological cravings, unhappiness.  Once you give up sugar then you realize you didn't love it as much and it's easier to be without.  Just watch giving up everything all at once. 

I say:  start small, start easy.  Be successful, re-evaluate.  Add/subtract, etc.  find a balance.  This has 6 week challenge written all over it.

I definitely don't want to quit cold turkey just to look like a badass. I think I would go crazy and then do a massive binge. I want to start slowly but I was even scared to start slow. Or at all. It's the sugar crack keeping me down.

Tsundere

Rebel Ranger Debut

Since you are Paleo, what's your reason behind it if you don't mind me asking?

I don't mind at all.  Happy to preach!

I was eating seasonally and locally (the 100 mi diet anyone?).  And very happy about it.  Eating local meats, know my farmers, grow my own stuff, etc.  I have strong moral beliefs about food and big ag.  STRONG beliefs.  I tend to make life decisions based on my politics and my morals. For example, I have a big big big problem with American big ag (can you tell?  ha ha ha)  so why would I support American grain production?  Now a family raising beef cattle?  That I can do.  conagra farmers growing grain to feed to a cow who shouldn't be eating it in the first place and who gets sick so has to be pumped full of antibiotics and then steroids?  no thank you. 

I read a lot.  A LOT.  Read Fast Food Nation.  Read Ominvore's Dilemma.  Read It Starts with Food.  Read 100 mi diet.  These things changed my life. 

So then it was time to lose weight.  And I was introduced to Primal Blueprint and BAM it took it to the next level.  I was fairly certain my acid reflux was food related and that my allergies were worsened by systemic inflammation.  And it was in keeping with my moral beliefs. 

I put the two together and there I was.  I've been very happy.  I stayed paleo after weight loss b/c I do really well there and it is my world view.  I stayed very low carb b/c I feel the best there.  BUT now that is interfering with my goals so it's time to reassess.

paleo was out for quite a while before I "signed" up. 

I AM going the distance

1. I'm not Paleo

2. PaleOMG.com has some of the BEST recipes I've ever tried. Literally, I've made a lot of stuff off that website - coffee marinated fajitas, chicken taco soup, sunflower seed butter banana bread, etc etc - and NOTHING has been not super delicious, super healthy, and wonderful.

3. For about 3 years, I was vegetarian. It was hard at first but I got used to it. I switched back to meat for several reasons. First, I'm trying to gain muscle and need moar protein. Second, if I go out to lunch to say, a tex-mex place, often the ONLY vegetarian option for me is a cheese-drenched enchilada. But if I got steak fajitas, I could enjoy a nice flavorful meal that isn't cheese-drenched.

Ok so the point... pick a diet that works for you. If you live with people/partner/kids, it might be really hard to eat paleo. And that's OK. There is no "one diet to rule them all". Take an objective look at your body and think about how it responds to certain foods, how you emotionally respond to certain foods, and also what your body looks like in general. I'm really lucky that I've always been long and lean, so if I want carbs, I eat them. Other people who are really carb-sensitive have great success on the paleo diet. I also notice that I'll binge out on stuff like goldfish crackers. Good lord, someone get me and IV of goldfish, stat! So I don't buy them. If I know I'm tempted, I don't even go down that aisle at the grocery.

Also, one of the best things I can tell you is that it's a choice. Don't make your diet into a punishment. Don't say, "I can't eat that bagel". You can eat that bagel if you want to. But it might jeopardize your goals in the same way that skipping a workout would jeopardize your goals. And just like skipping a workout, sometimes its unavoidable. That's ok. But just remember, it's a choice. And you ALWAYS have a choice (even if it's one you don't like).

Amazon Warrior

29, F, 5'11 ft, 159lbs

#1, #2, #3, #4, #5

I definitely don't want to quit cold turkey just to look like a badass. I think I would go crazy and then do a massive binge. I want to start slowly but I was even scared to start slow. Or at all. It's the sugar crack keeping me down.

yeah the sugar crack.  I hear ya.

There's your challenge.  For six weeks, cut back on the sugar (and get rid of artificial sweeteners!  GAH!).  Make a plan.  Cut back, track, cut back more, track, etc.  Don't fill the void with fruit.  Fruit is sugar with benefits.  Fruit = dessert. 

Do the sugar quitting.  It will be a HUGE win for you.  And you already know it's tough so you'll prove it to yourself and be happier in the long run. 

Seriously.  you got this.

I AM going the distance

1. I'm not Paleo

2. PaleOMG.com has some of the BEST recipes I've ever tried. Literally, I've made a lot of stuff off that website - coffee marinated fajitas, chicken taco soup, sunflower seed butter banana bread, etc etc - and NOTHING has been not super delicious, super healthy, and wonderful.

3. For about 3 years, I was vegetarian. It was hard at first but I got used to it. I switched back to meat for several reasons. First, I'm trying to gain muscle and need moar protein. Second, if I go out to lunch to say, a tex-mex place, often the ONLY vegetarian option for me is a cheese-drenched enchilada. But if I got steak fajitas, I could enjoy a nice flavorful meal that isn't cheese-drenched.

Ok so the point... pick a diet that works for you. If you live with people/partner/kids, it might be really hard to eat paleo. And that's OK. There is no "one diet to rule them all". Take an objective look at your body and think about how it responds to certain foods, how you emotionally respond to certain foods, and also what your body looks like in general. I'm really lucky that I've always been long and lean, so if I want carbs, I eat them. Other people who are really carb-sensitive have great success on the paleo diet. I also notice that I'll binge out on stuff like goldfish crackers. Good lord, someone get me and IV of goldfish, stat! So I don't buy them. If I know I'm tempted, I don't even go down that aisle at the grocery.

Also, one of the best things I can tell you is that it's a choice. Don't make your diet into a punishment. Don't say, "I can't eat that bagel". You can eat that bagel if you want to. But it might jeopardize your goals in the same way that skipping a workout would jeopardize your goals. And just like skipping a workout, sometimes its unavoidable. That's ok. But just remember, it's a choice. And you ALWAYS have a choice (even if it's one you don't like).

wisdom pure and simple.

I AM going the distance

yeah the sugar crack.  I hear ya.

There's your challenge.  For six weeks, cut back on the sugar (and get rid of artificial sweeteners!  GAH!).  Make a plan.  Cut back, track, cut back more, track, etc.  Don't fill the void with fruit.  Fruit is sugar with benefits.  Fruit = dessert. 

Do the sugar quitting.  It will be a HUGE win for you.  And you already know it's tough so you'll prove it to yourself and be happier in the long run. 

Seriously.  you got this.

Poo. If anything, I do enjoy fruit. A banana is a great way to get me through some days at work because it's rough around these parts and I get sleepy. So I think instead of a daily sugar...0-1 days would be an A, 2-3 days a B, 3-4 days a C, 5+ F. This is the one instance I don't want the D.

Tsundere

Rebel Ranger Debut

Poo. If anything, I do enjoy fruit. A banana is a great way to get me through some days at work because it's rough around these parts and I get sleepy. So I think instead of a daily sugar...0-1 days would be an A, 2-3 days a B, 3-4 days a C, 5+ F. This is the one instance I don't want the D.

do it!  BUT if you are using a banana for energy, realize you are keeping a sugar addiction alive. 

Do the plan you've laid out above and then try to ween off the daily banana to get rid of the insulin surges that drive sugar cravings. 

You can totally do this.  Really!!!  Read up on sugar from the whole 9 folks. 

I AM going the distance

do it!  BUT if you are using a banana for energy, realize you are keeping a sugar addiction alive. 

Do the plan you've laid out above and then try to ween off the daily banana to get rid of the insulin surges that drive sugar cravings. 

You can totally do this.  Really!!!  Read up on sugar from the whole 9 folks. 

So sad. All my life I've been told fruit is not the enemy = \

Tsundere

Rebel Ranger Debut

So sad. All my life I've been told fruit is not the enemy = \

it's not the enemy.  No food is the enemy.  You just have to know what you are doing with it and what it is.

It's sugar with benefits versus sugar without benefits.  Therefore, it's a great treat or dessert or something.  It should not be a mainstay in meals.  For example, my in-laws eat fruit at every meal in lieu of veg.  Nope.  Sugar sugar sugar sugar

A paleo approach is largely about controlling insulin surges (for a variety of reasons) and about training our bodies to not rely on carbs so much for all our energy.  Thus, fruit is a treat.  One piece a day is just fine.  If you want to lose weight, lose the fruit.  Eat it once in a while. 

Fruit is not the enemy.  Honestly.  Food can't be your enemy.  It's just food. 

I AM going the distance

I can tell you when I first heard Paleo- and I had one or two facebook friends who went paleo- and I read Mark's Daily Apple- I literally had a visceral super negative reaction.    I couldn't stand the idea/thought of anyone/ any program that said you must stop eating <this entire list of foods>

I got to the bottom and went- well what the fuck are you supposed to eat then??

fast forward a year or so.  I don't know why- but I started up doing 30 day challenges.  Prove to myself I could do something with my diet- make things a little better and obtainable.

First- Month of May (that was one thing- I moved in with an alcoholic) no alcohol Sunday - Thursday.  Friday/Saturday were fair game if I chose too.  (I didn't drink EVERY Fri/Sat either) it was just the days I was "allowed" to drink.  I could have whatever and however much of it I wanted.  So some days I had none- some days I had 4 or 5 if it was a good long night out.  Normally I'm a 1 beer passed out on the couch person.  

Success.  Created a positive habit (takes 21 days to form a habit by the way)

this plan has stuck for the most part- and actually now- I rarely drink at all.

Next month- no bacon egg and cheese bagels.   I have had one in six months since that 30 day challenge.

Shortly after that- I gave up wheats breads and grains- I wanted to see what it would do for me.  This was the hardest.  I was physically sick.  But it got better after a week and I learned a lot- found a ton of new recipes  tried new ways of cooking. It was a lot of fun.  I found ways to subsitute out foods and things- this has stuck with me for the most part.

I still indudlge in sushi about once a month- and nan for my Indian food.   But I try really hard to limit it. 

I got more involved in NF and joined a challenge- gave up sugar.  Easily one of the most difficult things I've done yet- the cravings haven't gone away. I eat a lot of fruit when I get to that point.

But I've seen changes in my body that I'm really happy with- and I realized I could do things- and NOT be miserable.  Sometimes I still am remiss that I don't eat like shit... but for the most part- I feel that nothing tastes s good as being fit and healthy feels.  

:)

don't sweat it... take baby steps and realize YOU control your food- and you can take as small of steps as you need to- I'll bet once you start with small steps you'll want more- and you'll be more aggressive and less resistant to change.  I know that's how it was for me!  I started feeding my body to fuel my goals- and once that happened- all that perceived "sacrifice" isn't a sacrifice any more. 

I don't mind at all.  Happy to preach!

I was eating seasonally and locally (the 100 mi diet anyone?).  And very happy about it.  Eating local meats, know my farmers, grow my own stuff, etc.  I have strong moral beliefs about food and big ag.  STRONG beliefs.  I tend to make life decisions based on my politics and my morals. For example, I have a big big big problem with American big ag (can you tell?  ha ha ha)  so why would I support American grain production?  Now a family raising beef cattle?  That I can do.  conagra farmers growing grain to feed to a cow who shouldn't be eating it in the first place and who gets sick so has to be pumped full of antibiotics and then steroids?  no thank you. 

I read a lot.  A LOT.  Read Fast Food Nation.  Read Ominvore's Dilemma.  Read It Starts with Food.  Read 100 mi diet.  These things changed my life. 

So then it was time to lose weight.  And I was introduced to Primal Blueprint and BAM it took it to the next level.  I was fairly certain my acid reflux was food related and that my allergies were worsened by systemic inflammation.  And it was in keeping with my moral beliefs. 

I put the two together and there I was.  I've been very happy.  I stayed paleo after weight loss b/c I do really well there and it is my world view.  I stayed very low carb b/c I feel the best there.  BUT now that is interfering with my goals so it's time to reassess.

paleo was out for quite a while before I "signed" up. 

I love all of this.... All those points are a big part of why I'm paleo/primal. I'm currently also incorporating raw milk, which is anotehr topic, but still that's a decision that came out of a solid year of reading everything I could get my hands on. Also, Joel Salatin is my hero :)

I had similar fears and thoughts. But it was a heck of a lot easier than I thought it would be. I looked at it logically and said 30 days is doable. Im just freaking myself out. If I don't like it that's ok. But after a couple days I felt so good I had No interest in going off Paleo. The bloating and sluggishness I lived with was gone so fast. I was like, seriously this was all because of the crap I used to eat?! What an easy fix. I knew I was carb addicted and carb sensitive but didn't know how badly.

It's totally ok to fail. It's part if the process of learning. I say just do it. The build up if thoughts is so much worse than the reality. Good luck!

I can tell you when I first heard Paleo- and I had one or two facebook friends who went paleo- and I read Mark's Daily Apple- I literally had a visceral super negative reaction.    I couldn't stand the idea/thought of anyone/ any program that said you must stop eating <this entire list of foods>

I got to the bottom and went- well what the fuck are you supposed to eat then??

fast forward a year or so.  I don't know why- but I started up doing 30 day challenges.  Prove to myself I could do something with my diet- make things a little better and obtainable.

First- Month of May (that was one thing- I moved in with an alcoholic) no alcohol Sunday - Thursday.  Friday/Saturday were fair game if I chose too.  (I didn't drink EVERY Fri/Sat either) it was just the days I was "allowed" to drink.  I could have whatever and however much of it I wanted.  So some days I had none- some days I had 4 or 5 if it was a good long night out.  Normally I'm a 1 beer passed out on the couch person.  

Success.  Created a positive habit (takes 21 days to form a habit by the way)

this plan has stuck for the most part- and actually now- I rarely drink at all.

Next month- no bacon egg and cheese bagels.   I have had one in six months since that 30 day challenge.

Shortly after that- I gave up wheats breads and grains- I wanted to see what it would do for me.  This was the hardest.  I was physically sick.  But it got better after a week and I learned a lot- found a ton of new recipes  tried new ways of cooking. It was a lot of fun.  I found ways to subsitute out foods and things- this has stuck with me for the most part.

I still indudlge in sushi about once a month- and nan for my Indian food.   But I try really hard to limit it. 

I got more involved in NF and joined a challenge- gave up sugar.  Easily one of the most difficult things I've done yet- the cravings haven't gone away. I eat a lot of fruit when I get to that point.

But I've seen changes in my body that I'm really happy with- and I realized I could do things- and NOT be miserable.  Sometimes I still am remiss that I don't eat like shit... but for the most part- I feel that nothing tastes s good as being fit and healthy feels.  

:)

don't sweat it... take baby steps and realize YOU control your food- and you can take as small of steps as you need to- I'll bet once you start with small steps you'll want more- and you'll be more aggressive and less resistant to change.  I know that's how it was for me!  I started feeding my body to fuel my goals- and once that happened- all that perceived "sacrifice" isn't a sacrifice any more. 

I have to admit, your reaction to it made me laugh. I remember reading/hearing about it and thought it equaled nothing but death. Who would want to do that to themselves? Seriously. Who? But the more I read about it, the more logic it makes to me. I've spent a good portion of my afternoon and evening looking at recipes and I'm getting excited.

I plan on trying to give up on sugar first and foremost and upping my water intake. I'm still kinda "scared" because this really isn't a diet but a lifestyle change and it's one I need to be serious about because I know the great benefits that can come from it.

Tsundere

Rebel Ranger Debut