Paleo Panic!

I had similar fears and thoughts. But it was a heck of a lot easier than I thought it would be. I looked at it logically and said 30 days is doable. Im just freaking myself out. If I don't like it that's ok. But after a couple days I felt so good I had No interest in going off Paleo. The bloating and sluggishness I lived with was gone so fast. I was like, seriously this was all because of the crap I used to eat?! What an easy fix. I knew I was carb addicted and carb sensitive but didn't know how badly.

It's totally ok to fail. It's part if the process of learning. I say just do it. The build up if thoughts is so much worse than the reality. Good luck!

I'm hoping for the same results. I'm always having issues with sleeping, being tired all the time, and just energy in general. I really, really hope this will get rid of that. I'm not expecting instant results but quick ones would be awesome. Ultimately, I gotta stop freaking myself out and get the fuck outta my head.

Tsundere
Level 1 Adventurer/Ranger, pseudo-ninja and Sailor Scout Rebel
STR: +0 || DEX: +0 || STA: +0 || CON: +0 || WIS: +0 || CHA: +0

"The past is seldom as we would have it. The future yet to be known. Embrace the present and strike all else from concern." - Spartacus

Rebel Ranger Debut

Sailor Tsundere's Battle Logs

Tsundere Tsunami - Personal Blog

LOL yeah- it was a huge shock factor- and that's exactly what I thought- this is the absolute only GUARENTEED life you get.  No matter what you believe about life after death- there is no proof but what you have now.

Why would you possible spend your life eating like that- it's so... oppressive.  LOL.  Yet here I am- a year later- giving up sugar.... and probably going to stay very sans sugar if I can help it... I am continually amazed with what the lack of sugar has done for me!!

But it's a chore- and it can be hard- but know that it's the every day grind that makes the battles- not the big victory at the once a year party.  Just start it by stop buying crap- you don't need to go cold turkey- baby steps.  The biggest thing you need to learn to do is say no.... no immediately and with conviction.  

People who have no self discipline will drag you down and suck you into their wallowing pit of food self pity if they sense even the slightest chink in your armor     Say no- and MEAN it.  

be aware you'll say yes sometimes- but go back to saying no (friends wedding- she made her cake... yeah- kind of a no brainer- had to eat it- I knew it was coming- and I wasn't the slightest bit guilty.  LOL- it is what it is) 

I'm a huge live fast die hard kind of person- and I'm surviving just fine (actually my top four pack is really starting to show through now- so it's double motivation to keep with it)... if I can do it- YOU can do it!!

LOL yeah- it was a huge shock factor- and that's exactly what I thought- this is the absolute only GUARENTEED life you get.  No matter what you believe about life after death- there is no proof but what you have now.

Why would you possible spend your life eating like that- it's so... oppressive.  LOL.  Yet here I am- a year later- giving up sugar.... and probably going to stay very sans sugar if I can help it... I am continually amazed with what the lack of sugar has done for me!!

But it's a chore- and it can be hard- but know that it's the every day grind that makes the battles- not the big victory at the once a year party.  Just start it by stop buying crap- you don't need to go cold turkey- baby steps.  The biggest thing you need to learn to do is say no.... no immediately and with conviction.  

People who have no self discipline will drag you down and suck you into their wallowing pit of food self pity if they sense even the slightest chink in your armor     Say no- and MEAN it.  

be aware you'll say yes sometimes- but go back to saying no (friends wedding- she made her cake... yeah- kind of a no brainer- had to eat it- I knew it was coming- and I wasn't the slightest bit guilty.  LOL- it is what it is) 

I'm a huge live fast die hard kind of person- and I'm surviving just fine (actually my top four pack is really starting to show through now- so it's double motivation to keep with it)... if I can do it- YOU can do it!!

Those are definitely motivating words. I have one friend I reached out to over the weekend and she said she would be more than willing to help me clean out the cabinets and get this ball rolling. I'm trying to figure out if I want to start when I pick up on the 6 week challenge or when I move (which may be at the end of this month). If I wait until I move, it'll just be easier for me to get rid of stuff cause my stuff will be doing a massive exodus anyway. I just want the timing to be right.

Tsundere

"The past is seldom as we would have it. The future yet to be known. Embrace the present and strike all else from concern." - Spartacus

Rebel Ranger Debut

start now by finishing things off and not buying more- you're going to be trying to cut back on crap anyway- no need to chuck everything away- unless it's a seriously guilt factor attached.  LIke for me a whole tub of ice cream- huge waste of food- but I'm not eating it regardless.  I just would feel incredibly wasteful full throwing it out- so I won't.

Just because you aren't committed to the challenge currently doesn't mean you have to wait to start eating better.  :)

Yeah what she said. Yup

You got this.

I AM going the distance

'Cause all I wanna do is go the distance. Nobody's ever gone the distance with Creed, and if I can go that distance, you see, and that bell rings and I'm still standin', I'm gonna know for the first time in my life, see, that I weren't just another bum from the neighborhood.

My suggestion is to give it a shot.  30 days won't kill you.  If you can't go 30 days without grains and sugar, then they're in charge of you.  Not a good position to be in no matter what your diet is.  You want to be the one making the decisions.  So do that 30 days and then see how you feel.  If you want ot ditch it forever, that's fine, at least you did it and can speak from experience. 

Also, you CAN bake while paleo.  a: there's plenty of paleo baked goods.  b: being paleo is not like being a vegan.  One cupcake won't destroy your paleo card.  it's not an all or nothing proposition.  Paleo is just about understanding what food really does in your body and making grown up decisions based on that. 

Level 3 Human Ranger
STR: 9 DEX: 5.25 STA: 14.5 CON: 5.5 WIS: 16 CHA: 5.5 
My Current Challenge

Paleo/Primal is worth trying just to see how your body reacts, but you may find that your body is totally fine with grains. I know that I did. I cut grains for about a year, did not feel noticeably better and when I started eating them again, I felt fine. I do retain a little more water when I eat bread or pasta but other than dropping two pounds whenever I don't eat bread for a few days cutting grains doesn't help with weight loss except as far as it's easier to eat low calorie without them because grains are calorie dense. I've never tried cutting dairy because I love cheese and normally feel pretty good so I see no reason to try to drop it. (And in fact I've had lots of meat and not much (but not no) dairy lately and I've been feeling heavy and sluggish, so I've actually been wanting to eat less meat.)

So try it; you may find you feel great and won't want to go back. Or you may find that it makes no difference at all, and my philosophy is that you should ditch foods that make you feel like crap but there's no reason to avoid foods unless eating them causes a negative reaction. So if you want to eat a brownie because it is full of chocolately goodness and it makes you happy? Go for it. If eating a brownie sends you into a spiral of binge eating and regret? That's a good reason to not.

I was afraid I would die without cream in my coffee but I didn't. I don't even miss it. So many health problems cleared right up for me after I did Whole30. I wouldn't trade my newfound good health (carpal tunnel, asthma, and GERD all gone) for my formerly beloved dairy or bread. It's worth a shot. You can always go back to your old ways, but you'll never know how Paleo might benefit you until you give it a go.

So, tiny update for those who care, but ever since I posted this, I've been doing a ton of research on the paleo/primal lifestyle. I think I can do it. I'm pretty damn sure I can. I've stocked up on well over 100 recipes from breakfast to desserts (post 30 day challenge) and I feel confidant. What will suck for me at first is funding for these changes but...I should survive. I plan on doing a Spending Fast one of these days to see how hard I can really push myself (financially).

I mentioned cutting down my sugar intake so I plan on only getting my sugar from fruits, preferably the less sweet fruits such as cherries, blueberries (even though I don't like them), and whatever else Google provides for me. I might indulge in my pseudo-dairy with almond or coconut milk for my smoothies (I just hate water smoothies) and cut out all dairy dairy. Sounds like I have a game plan, right?

Anywho, thanks for all the input you guys have given me and I'll probably be updating my progress here and my battle log for the 6 week challenge.

Gratitude fellow Rebels!

Tsundere

Rebel Ranger Debut

It is a GREAT starting place!!!! You can do it! Google around for paleo on a budget. I believe NF had a post and whole 9 also had something.

Good work, rebel!!

I AM going the distance

'Cause all I wanna do is go the distance. Nobody's ever gone the distance with Creed, and if I can go that distance, you see, and that bell rings and I'm still standin', I'm gonna know for the first time in my life, see, that I weren't just another bum from the neighborhood.

^^^  Yup yup. lots of paleo budget stuff.  I shop for the same stuff- and it's about 50 a week- I also half ass feed my roommate- if it was just me it would be slightly less than that.  I also go ahead and suck up the cost for things I truly like - strawberries are now on sale- and I buy 3-4 at a time.  (well depending on my new challenge goals- that may change) and I usually eat the cost for it- bacon is starting to be the same way- I hate bad bacon.

The rest I'm willing to fudge.

This is purely my humble opinion- so do what you think is best... BUT having just done this: I'd not get crazy with eating fruits you don't like- it's easy to waste them if you don't like them- since they go bad quickly and are expensive- just buy what you actually LIKE.  If you can throw them in your smoothies to deal with it and you like it GREAT, but your fruit- esp with sugar fixes- if you are anything like me it's going to be an anchor for you so you don't sway back to junk food- I'd actually recommend going for what you LIKE rather than what you don't.  As you get better at it- you can start weaning yourself off them.  I really struggled with the sugar- so fruit was essential and I needed to not only eat but really enjoy it because well- it's not just sugar- my sugar is feel good food- so I NEEDED to have a positive association with it. LOL not sure if that makes sense- but that's what I think. You're changing enough stuff- I don't see a need to eat fruit you don't like esp when you are just starting out.

But definitely a great starting place. :)  YAY for new food challenges!!! 

Thanks! Right now I'm struggling not to eat half a donut. This is a hard struggle. And I mean a damn hard struggle.

Tsundere

Rebel Ranger Debut

I feel you- this is why you need fruit you LIKE LOL

throw out the donut!!!

do push ups!  walk away and tell yourself how awesome you're going to feel saying no.

I either eat or physically just do other things when I want crap- it's not the best solution- but it saves me from eating the crap I DO want.  LOL

Sadly, I can't throw out the donuts as they aren't mine. Sigh.

I've been pumping down water and eating spicy foods to try and stop myself. I think I'll go ahead and get my grapes now.

Tsundere

Rebel Ranger Debut

There you go!!!  You can do it!!! 

Write little sticky notes for yourself to keep you motivated- it sounds stupid- but it totally works.

My favorite is "nothing tastes as good as fit and healthy feels"

I posted a picture of it- it's on my monitor- I stare at it for 8 hours a day usually.

It's right next to "don't be upset with the results you didn't get from the work you didn't do!"

LOL I'm a shamer- I have to shame/motivate myself- it's how I function- but put up notes that inspire you- it'll definitely help. 

Small update!

I've decided to give primal a try first and then transition into paleo while slowly cutting out my dairy. The grains and artificial sugars, still gotta go!

Tsundere

Rebel Ranger Debut

Small update!

I've decided to give primal a try first and then transition into paleo while slowly cutting out my dairy. The grains and artificial sugars, still gotta go!

This is a big update!  Primal is totally a GREAT way to go.  That's what we did and then tweaked for us.  If you can tolerate dairy, no reason to cut it out.  Just by whole fat and as clean as you can get.  Primal endorses that type of dairy.  I can't do dairy but spousal unit can and still eats yogurt. 

How are you doing on the sugar reduction?

I AM going the distance

I'll look into the whole fat thing. I normally buy 2% organic milk but I'll see how the switch goes. If that doesn't work, I'll stick to almond milk and eat my cheeses. Yummy cheese.

The sugar thing is on and off. If all goes well, my house will be closing in a few weeks and me moving in throughout the month. I'm thinking of implementing the massive diet switch. New house, new habit, new life. Makes sense, right? I still have sugar in the house but I've avoided it all together at work, had not even a full cup of sweet tea last night (which is a HUGE deal being from the South and I knock back cups of sweet tea like people take shots of vodka) but I did eat two ice cream sandwiches yesterday. Weakness at its finest.

Tsundere

Rebel Ranger Debut

I'll look into the whole fat thing. I normally buy 2% organic milk but I'll see how the switch goes. If that doesn't work, I'll stick to almond milk and eat my cheeses. Yummy cheese.

The sugar thing is on and off. If all goes well, my house will be closing in a few weeks and me moving in throughout the month. I'm thinking of implementing the massive diet switch. New house, new habit, new life. Makes sense, right? I still have sugar in the house but I've avoided it all together at work, had not even a full cup of sweet tea last night (which is a HUGE deal being from the South and I knock back cups of sweet tea like people take shots of vodka) but I did eat two ice cream sandwiches yesterday. Weakness at its finest.

I like the new house, new life thing... a lot!!!

Baby steps.  We all have food stuff we struggle with.  Start small and manageable and the rest will come bc you are successful!!

I AM going the distance

Thanks Cline! I'm very much about doing HUGE changes. If my living arrangements are going to change, I might as well change the rest of my life too. Leave allllll my bad eating habits at the apartment I'm in and start the new place fresh and clean. I'm gonna try my hardest to make sure my house makes me happy, my safe, clean haven.

Tsundere

Rebel Ranger Debut

Small update!

This is a big update!  Primal is totally a GREAT way to go.  That's what we did and then tweaked for us.  If you can tolerate dairy, no reason to cut it out.  Just by whole fat and as clean as you can get.  Primal endorses that type of dairy.  I can't do dairy but spousal unit can and still eats yogurt. 

How are you doing on the sugar reduction?

What a wonderful update! Kudos to you for cutting out the other stuff, especially the artificial and refined sugars! While I was eating primally, I ate cultured yogurt frequently; the way I see it, if it agrees with you, why stop eating it? Once you have the grains and sugar out of your diet, it'll be a lot easier to see how it'll affect you. :)

Level 5 Dryad Druid + Adventurer

STR 7 | DEX 10 | STA 9 | CON 8 | WIS 13 | CHA 10.5

Leo's Dawn of Dragons Challenge

You will be amazed how different things taste after you have cut sugar. I cut sugar a month ago (at the beginning of this challenge) and now seem to have a hightened awareness to sweetness. Even plain greek yogurt has gone from tart to yummy, by itself!

Level 3 Adventurer

Ogre disguised high elf

STR 1, DEX 0, STA 0, CON 3, WIS 4, CHA 1

1st Challenge   2nd Challenge    3rd Challenge   Current Challenge

and you shall love the Lord your God with all your heart, and with all your soul, and with all your mind, and with all your strength. Mark 12:30