Crazy Before/After Photos from my 1st 6 week challenge

I'm cross posting this from my challenge thread at the suggestion of a few folks in the Ranger's Guild. :) It really inspires me to see what just 6 short weeks helped me do for my body. I'm super excited to finish creating my goals for the next challenge and to support all of you guys through yours! The encouragement from our community can mean the world!

Hearthsinger's 20% Cooler Challenge Final Review

1QqiX.jpg

Challenge Starting Weight: 162.4 lbs

Challenge Ending Weight: 153.4 lbs

Total Loss: -9.4 lbs (I was hoping for more, but considering my struggles with food/con-going during the course of the challenge I'm pretty happy with this!) 

Final Measurements: 

Bust: (Starting 38") 36.25"

Waist: (Starting 41") 36.5"

Hips: (Starting 44") 42"

Thigh: (Starting 22.25") 20.75"

Calves: (Starting 16.5") 15.5"

Bicep: (Starting 12.5") 12.25"

Total Inches lost during challenge: -11 inches (That's pretty BANANAS!)

Before Photos:

1Qqnq.jpg

After Photos:

1QrCi.jpg

Fitness/Nutrition goals:

• Take at least one Yoga class a week.
    • I aced this 100% and even took an extra class one week.
    • I made some great progress with The Wheel and the Crow that I intend to continue with a more rigorous focus in the next challenge.
      • Reward: +2 STR
  • Complete "Zombies, Run 5k Training"  3x/week.
    • I never missed a run, not even at PAX East! I found a hotel with a gym and made sure I got my training in at 6AM so I could enjoy the con guilt free for the rest of the day! I'm loving my runs more and more each time and I'm getting ready to do my final mission for the app on Friday of the week! I can't wait to see my first 5k time so I can make some PR goals for the next challenge!
      • Reward: +5 STA
  • Complete at least two 45 minute training sessions on the elliptical per week.
    • Passed with flying colors! Never missed a session and got in plenty of Xena: Warrior Princess episodes while I trained. Win win! AYIYIYIYIYI!
      • Reward: +2 DEX
  • Learn to cook three Paleo meals by the end of the challenge.

Life Goal:

• Write at least 2 new blog posts a week and create a logo for the header. 
    • I posted retro blog entries every day and wrote my two new posts without fail every week. 
    • Having the deadline was really crucial for me. I find that having a back log of drafts is very useful and I will definitely continue to do that as time goes on. 
    • Very soon I'll be moving to a 2 post per week publishing format (I'm having my readers vote on a poll for which days they'd prefer right now). 
    • Added bonus: My reader base blossomed from under one thousand to over ten thousand unique views in just 6 short weeks! 
    • Sadly, while I did make progress on the logo with my graphic designer, I was not in control of her schedule and she got hired for a few VERY lucrative rush jobs that kept her from completing it on time for the end of the challenge. The lesson I learned here was that I shouldn't make a challenge goal that depends on anyone's actions but my own in the future. However, I'm very excited about the progress that was made on the logo and the finished product will be worth the wait!
      • Reward: + 2 WIS
        • I subtracted 1 point for not finishing the logo :(

Thanks to everyone who commented, read, and encouraged me along the way! You guys really kept me going when I felt my willpower beginning to falter!

Final Stats:

Hearthsinger the Wandering Bard

Level 2 Halfling Ranger

STR 4 | DEX 3 | STA 7 | CON 5 | WIS 6 | CHA 4

Level 4 Halfling Ranger

STR 9 | DEX 7 | STA 12 | CON 11 | WIS 8 | CHA 9

"You are what you do. You can re-create yourself every second of your life." -Xena

Read my blog at Project Reroll. | FitBit | Current Challenge | Previous Challenges: 1st 2nd 3rd

Wow.  Just... wow.  That challenge is so full of win, I can't even...

Rock on.

This used to be where  my weight loss progress bar was. Maybe it will be here again when I'm ready to face the scale and work on my fat problem.
 NewBattleLog              OldBattleLog (between challenges)

Spoiler

Don't let what you cannot do
interfere with what you can do.

-John Wooden

2013 Running Tally: I lost track in July, at 148.925  ((plus 0.5)) but I finished a Very Slow marathon in October. Then I mostly stopped.
2014 Running Tally: 134.1 miles plus 5k (as of 17 September) lost track again, but I know I had at least 147.2 plus 5k for 2014.
2015 Running Tally: 41.2 treadmilled miles & 251.93 real world miles

2016 Running Tally: 0

Dude, 1% a week for 6 weeks straight is AWESOME! Other than running or elliptical 5 times a week, whatcha do?

Also, I was kinda hoping you had rainbow hair all the time.

Massrandir, Barkûn, Swolórin, The Whey Pilgrim
500 / 330 / 625
Challenges: 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 31 32 34 35 36 39 41 42 45 46 47 48 49 Current Challenge
"No citizen has a right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable. " ~ Socrates
"Friends don't let friends squat high." ~ Chad Wesley Smith
"It's a dangerous business, Brodo, squatting to the floor. You step into the rack, and if you don't keep your form, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to." ~ Gainsdalf

Goodness O_o.

How are you doing that to your arms?! Arms are a problem area for me, I NEED them to tone up. lol.

Great progress lady - you look amazing!

Level 3 - Half-Elf Warrior, STR - 5 | DEX - 1 | STA - 6 | CON - 5.5 | WIS - 3.5 | CHA - 5

I know where I'm going, and I know the truth, and I don't have to be what you want me to be. I'm free to be what I want. ~  Ali

Previous Challenges: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5

I'm in awe.  Excellent job.   And thank you for the photos becuase in months/years past I would think "big deal, 11 inches".  But holy smokes, the visual change is so obvious.  Proof that using only one form of keep track is not effective and that Steve's advice on taking a before and after photo is worthy advice.

how many dress sizes did you drop?

My motivational, yet sarcastically awesome, sig.

Hot damn, girl!

That's absolutely amazing! I love that you got in the 6AM runs. >w<

How's that zombie app working for you? I'm debating getting it, but I'm such a scaredy cat when it comes to anything remotely horror that I'm scared I'll just end up sprinting full-on into traffic trying to outrun my imaginary zombies. Or I'd look like a crazy person flailing and screaming as I run circles on the track on campus.

which may be fun.

Dwarf Monk

Level 5

STR 11 | STA 9 | DEX 5 | CON 11 | WIS 9 | CHA 5

ceterum censeo infirmitas esse delendam

CHALLENGE

TAKING OFF THE HAND WRAPS

previous

I ; II; III; IV ; V

That's incredible!!!

I love your flex in the first pic though...awesome :D

Ha! Thanks! I was hamming it up for the camera because I was so ashamed of the flab. In typical Hearthsinger fashion, I was all... if it's not pretty, at least make them laugh! :)

Dude, 1% a week for 6 weeks straight is AWESOME! Other than running or elliptical 5 times a week, whatcha do?

Also, I was kinda hoping you had rainbow hair all the time.

When you put it that way, it doesn't sound too bad! I try to shoot for two lbs of weight loss a week, but as I get within 20 lbs of a healthy weight, that gets harder and harder to do. 

So my workouts are exactly as listed. I didn't really do anything on top of that really, although in the last week I started taking a ten minute walk during my lunch break at work just to blow off some steam. It should be noted that I'm a tour guide in NYC so on the days when I have work, I do walk QUITE a bit in comparison to someone who has a desk job. On a day when I'm working, I might get 8-9 miles walked in a day between work, exercise, and walking to and from the subway, etc. 

As far as the hair goes: I kinda wish that too. If it wouldn't be so hard to maintain or get me fired from my job, I'd do it in a heartbeat! I loved walking around in that wig all weekend!

As far as diet goes, I'm starting my 10th month on Nutrisystem (which I know a lot of people on these boards have issues with :) ). I've had eating disorder issues for a while (both with anorexia and binging) and having that pre portioned food has been phenomenal because I can't "lessen" it and eating multiples screws me up for the remainder of the month. I'm a starving artist and my parents agreed to pay for the program, so basically having most of my food handled has freed up my funds a lot and allowed me to live a lot more comfortably this past year while I tackle this beast. Honestly, I feel blessed, BUT! I know the troubles with Nutrisystem or any program like that; if you follow blindly and don't teach yourself about nutrition and cooking along the way, then it's all for nothing. That's why I've been challenging myself to learn more about Paleo and the Primal Blueprint as well as seeking out and making other healthy recipes along the way so that when I get to maintenance, I won't be flying blind.

At any rate, my diet consists of six small, well portioned meals a day supplemented with fresh proteins, some dairy, vegetables, and fruits. It generally clocks in around 1250-1350 calories consumed per day and using my fitbit, I try to keep myself at a 1000 calorie deficit every day. 

Hope that helps give some perspective on what I did!

Twilight_human_clapping.gif

This. A thousand times this. I died laughing.

Goodness O_o.

How are you doing that to your arms?! Arms are a problem area for me, I NEED them to tone up. lol.

Great progress lady - you look amazing!

My arms are honestly a problem for me too. They've always been super chubby and I'm not great on the upper body strength. I have never enjoyed lifting, but I do enjoy yoga, so I try to get that in when I can and do poses that require the upper body. My arm measurements have changed the least over time. I wish I had more I could tell you about it, but I haven't been working specifically on them with much focus. I have noticed that since I started running, everything looks firmer, leaner, and higher... so that's really the only think I can point to! Best of luck!

I'm in awe.  Excellent job.   And thank you for the photos becuase in months/years past I would think "big deal, 11 inches".  But holy smokes, the visual change is so obvious.  Proof that using only one form of keep track is not effective and that Steve's advice on taking a before and after photo is worthy advice.

how many dress sizes did you drop?

Yeah, I was nervous about the pictures, but I'm so glad I bit the bullet and did it. I have to thank Loren Wade for that inspiration. After he took his, I was like, you know what. This is a safe space. I can do this!

I'm not sure about the dress size change DURING the challenge, but when I got refitted for my uniform partway through, I had gone to a size 12, but I hadn't been refitted for a few months and I'd lost 30 lbs since then.

Just a note (for comparison), when I started my weight loss journey last summer at 250 lbs, this is what I looked like. Anything is possible with hard work, dedication, and a willingness to face your demons head on.

And here are better pictures of my "victory" Rainbow Dash cosplay from PAX East

Hot damn, girl!

That's absolutely amazing! I love that you got in the 6AM runs. >w<

How's that zombie app working for you? I'm debating getting it, but I'm such a scaredy cat when it comes to anything remotely horror that I'm scared I'll just end up sprinting full-on into traffic trying to outrun my imaginary zombies. Or I'd look like a crazy person flailing and screaming as I run circles on the track on campus.

which may be fun.

Yeah man, those are rough sometimes, but I always thank myself for getting them out of the way later.

I don't think I would have been able to stick with the running without the app. I wouldn't worry about it being too terrifying. There's a lot of great humor in there as well and it REALLY keeps you invested. I posted a review of my experience with the app and the pros and cons on my blog if you want more info. :) There is a fair amount of flailing. It's just whether your care about it or not! Haha!

Level 4 Halfling Ranger

STR 9 | DEX 7 | STA 12 | CON 11 | WIS 8 | CHA 9

"You are what you do. You can re-create yourself every second of your life." -Xena

Read my blog at Project Reroll. | FitBit | Current Challenge | Previous Challenges: 1st 2nd 3rd

I find morning workouts/runs are my best friend - I get cramps if I eat before I workout, and I love being guilt and worry free for the day.

It helps that dad tries to drag me out, too. XD

Oooh, thank you! I'll read it right after I reply. :3

Ha ha, if there's humour and a bit of acceptable flailing then that might make it worth it! What's the worst that can happen? (Aside from smacking some innocent bystander in a haze of fear...) Ha ha!

EDIT: Read it. Convinced. I should buy it. I may have to upgrade my iOS before I do, though.

Also, can I just say you're fucking inspiring?! Like, hell yes, inspiring. I think I have a lady crush. <3

Dwarf Monk

Level 5

STR 11 | STA 9 | DEX 5 | CON 11 | WIS 9 | CHA 5

ceterum censeo infirmitas esse delendam

CHALLENGE

TAKING OFF THE HAND WRAPS

previous

I ; II; III; IV ; V

This is a phenomenial way to show 10 lbs doesn't mean almost anything- look at how much your body has changed- even though you "only lost" ten pounds.

I want almost everyone who wants to "lose weight" to finally see/realize this.

Because THIS THIS THIS is what it's all about.

Congrats to you- this is really inspiring- thank you for being brave enough to share!!!