Girls Only! This is about menstrual cycles!

I need some advice, I really want to get into the habit of working out frequently. But whenever my period comes around I am tired, bloated, and the cramping is terrible.

The cramping is easily remedied with Advil (but if anyone knows of a more natural way please let me know), I am at a loss with the other usual symptoms. The bloating is something that really cuts into my workouts, it's hard to do sit-ups and leg raises when your stomach feels big all the time. And being so tired that I will fall asleep almost anywhere doesn't really help either.

I am fed up at skipping my workouts just because I'm to tired or bloated. There has to be something that will at least lighten my period. The more natural it is the better.

My cravings are also a problem but I think I can handle that. It's just a desire to consume high amounts of carbs and sugar. I've gotten over my sugarholic tendencies with just a piece of dark chocolate. And it will just take willpower to overcome the carbs.

I was gonna say the pill til I saw "the more natural it is the better" :-\ 

Do you have specific workouts you HAVE to do? Can you swap out sit ups for planks or leg raises for something to not compress the bloated areas? Or just do a shorter more intense workout so you don't even have time to get tired. 

Cee, Level 2 Wood Elf Adventurer of the Earth Kingdom

STR 4.5 . DEX 1 . STA 3 . CON 5 . WIS 8.75 . CHA 4

ch 0|ch 1|challenge 2

Ooops! Forgot to put that in :redface-new: .

I know the pill will make periods lighter and all but since I'm waiting until after marriage I don't see the need to take any type of birth control. Plus, I try to be as natural as possible with remedies and such. That's why I want to take something other than Advil.

I use to take Cramp Bark in liquid form, you just put 20 drops in your water bottle and drink it. It really helped my cramps but not my bloating and fatigue.

As far as exercising, I do a different workout when my period comes around. It's mainly weights but, I am just get so tired that halfway through I am to exhausted to continue. Which is strange for me because I usually have the energy of a hamster when I workout!

+1 to magnesium.

Also, honestly, I find that working out regularly and a steadily improved diet has helped tremendously.  I had really similar issues with my cycle and now, for the first time in my 28 years it's totally regular and not completely heinous (and I am bc free).

I'd recommend continuing to work out on during your period when you feel tired and bloated.  It's totally normal to 1. not want to and 2. to be weaker than normal, but that's ok.   Just lighten up your workouts.  I'm a lifter so I drop my weights and focus on form.  Or, I do yoga.   Staying active will help.

"I'm just going to remember to not eat like an asshole most of the time" - MoC

three words I can sum up everything I've learned about life: one must squat.- Brobert Frost
 Half-Elf Warrior | Current Challenge
 New Battle Log | Old Battle Log
Special thanks to AkLulu for drawing my awesome avatar!

Magnesium is awesome stuff and will seriously be helpful if you are deficient. Make an easy spray by combining 1:1 magnesium flakes to distilled water over low heat until dissolved then put in a spray bottle and spray 8-10 pumps a day over your torso and walk around naked till it dries. It's incredible and will help with lots of things, including headaches, muscle cramps, and more. Cheeseslave.com has a great article about magnesium and a better how to than my little directions :). For bloating, try drinking Weightless tea by Traditional Medicinals (Kroger, or health food store). It helps with bloating and water retention. Hope that is helpful!

Level 1 Fae - Warrior at :love_heart:, training with the Adventurers

STR 1  |  DEX 1  |  STA 2  |  CON 4  |  WIS 5  |  CHA 3

First Challenge

Items: Fire Flower power up

I'm 36 and have two young kids.  My periods before kids were light and normal with relatively little cramping.  My cycle was barely affected by the first pregnancy, the second kid messed me up (that's not the only body-altering stuff she did).  I've found that keeping hydrated really helps to relieve cramps and to "lighten my load" (Ugh, the clots!).  I never really got bloated either but I did have this icky achey feeling just before my flow started and after going through labor I realize that, that feeling is my uterus contracting.

Anyway, all those feelings are lessened when I keep hydrated, but I'm not back to "normal".

I want to thank you ladies who shared the info about magnesium, I'll be adding that to my regimen.

My motivational, yet sarcastically awesome, sig.

I already take 250 mg magnesium, maybe I should up it 1 on my 'special' days.

Hey thanks for the spray info Essie! I could certainly use that when I get sore on my workouts, now I just need to find magnesium flakes. And I'll look into getting that Weightless tea, that could also be handy for my weigh-in in the Marines.

As far as the workouts I totally believe that I should lower the intensity on my workouts. Yoga sounds nice, my birthday is coming up and my family has hinted that they will be getting me Zuzana's yoga DVD, so I will be using that. If you can recommend any other yoga DVD (preferably ones that don't put you to sleep with the New Age music) that would be great.

I am changing my diet around to a somewhat Paleo style. Are there any magnesium rich recipes that you could recommend?

Thanks for the advice Laura! BTW what's bc?

I take the first two days of my period days off. They're the heaviest and when I feel most lethargic.

I also try to eat more those days because my body is burning off so much energy. If I do exercise, which I do - because I've turned into somewhat of a exerciseaholic, I just take an hour+ walk around the neighborhood.

And yes, I do have some sweets. It's unavoidable. But I know I'm going to be Paleo the rest of the time, the minute the two days are up I return to Paleo. But yes, those first two days are easy time for me.

Level 3 - Half-Elf Warrior, STR - 5 | DEX - 1 | STA - 6 | CON - 5.5 | WIS - 3.5 | CHA - 5

I know where I'm going, and I know the truth, and I don't have to be what you want me to be. I'm free to be what I want. ~  Ali

Previous Challenges: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Hmm... I find that my periods are less painful if I do not take any sugars the week before. Sadly, that is also the time when I have the worst cravings for sweets and carbs. I've started countering it by taking fruit instead, and I work out any way. I'll also try the magnesium solution to see how that works.

Over the years I found that I was gaining about 3-4 pounds every period, but if I worked out I didn't gain. So now I'll just work through the bloating, but I'll take it a little easier, and eat a little more.

Level 2 Fire elemental adventurerSTR 3.75|DEX 2|STA 3|CON 5|WIS 5.5|CHA 4

Challenge: LadyInRed's Cycle 2: Burn

Challenge: LadyInRed's Cycle 1: Rise

Hey thanks for the spray info Essie! I could certainly use that when I get sore on my workouts, now I just need to find magnesium flakes. And I'll look into getting that Weightless tea, that could also be handy for my weigh-in in the Marines.

As far as the workouts I totally believe that I should lower the intensity on my workouts. Yoga sounds nice, my birthday is coming up and my family has hinted that they will be getting me Zuzana's yoga DVD, so I will be using that. If you can recommend any other yoga DVD (preferably ones that don't put you to sleep with the New Age music) that would be great.

I am changing my diet around to a somewhat Paleo style. Are there any magnesium rich recipes that you could recommend?

I think it's is birth control.

Level 2 Fire elemental adventurerSTR 3.75|DEX 2|STA 3|CON 5|WIS 5.5|CHA 4

Challenge: LadyInRed's Cycle 2: Burn

Challenge: LadyInRed's Cycle 1: Rise

I'm not having sex and I take the pill... it helps.

It has a TON of advantages outside of being BC... you can talk to your Dr about it and get a low dose (I'm on a super low dose to control my hormones b/c I get I turn into a HUGE bitchy freak- it's like over-react city). 

It seems the more you work out the less aggressive the symptoms are- I know several people who have the same "reaction" to working out- in that the more consistent- the less painful those days are.

Just get up and do something- you don't have to do sit ups- you can do push ups- squats and dumbbell rows.

You don't even need to be jumping around LOL.  

I'm not having sex and I take the pill... it helps.

It has a TON of advantages outside of being BC... you can talk to your Dr about it and get a low dose (I'm on a super low dose to control my hormones b/c I get I turn into a HUGE bitchy freak- it's like over-react city). 

It seems the more you work out the less aggressive the symptoms are- I know several people who have the same "reaction" to working out- in that the more consistent- the less painful those days are.

Just get up and do something- you don't have to do sit ups- you can do push ups- squats and dumbbell rows.

You don't even need to be jumping around LOL.  

I absolutely agree that the pill doesn't have to be taken for birth control. I know one of my best friends had lots of side-effects to her periods and started taking the pill pretty much as soon as she first had her periods. It was over ten years later that she first had sex, and then the fact that the pill can also be used for birth control was a nice side-effect, but it was never the main reason why she took it. I know that the pill is often used for birth control, but lots of women who never have sex (or not with them) do also take it for one or more of its other purposes. Don't forget that's what it was invented for in the first place, preventing ovulation was just a side effect that was discovered later.

However, the OP wants something natural, and the pill might be tons of things, but it's definitely not natural. It's pumping you with hormones and making your body behaved as though you were pregnant. Plus there can be side effects, too.

I second the idea that once you start working out, it gets easier. Also, I find that a hot bottle over my stomach helps soothe it, and, weirdly, walking around helps a lot too.

And I think sometimes, it just gets better over time. I used to have terrible cramping, and now I don't. I'm not on the pill so that's not it, and the only difference I can think of is that I became vegetarian, and I haven't heard that veggies have less cramps, so I don't think that's linked.

Ha, LIR was correct... birth control .

Also, <3 Zuzana.

I actually have some yoga books that I like. I usually put on whatever music I want and go to town.   Two of them are: This and This.  The first one is really low key and beginner friendly, which is exactly what I like (even though I've done yoga for years) when I'm trying to be more lightly active.  The second one I've used less but he has a whole program so you could take ideas from that, etc.

Otherwise, I don't have any dvds or favorite videos. I just kind of click around through netflix and amazon prime to see what I can find. Sometimes they're good, sometimes not. Also, there is a site: myyogaonline.com that has a bunch. Boyf has a subscription so I'm not sure how much of it is free, but I know there are a few at least... but there is a lot of new agey stuff going on (i try to ignore it-not my cuppa).

I absolutely agree that the pill doesn't have to be taken for birth control. I know one of my best friends had lots of side-effects to her periods and started taking the pill pretty much as soon as she first had her periods. It was over ten years later that she first had sex, and then the fact that the pill can also be used for birth control was a nice side-effect, but it was never the main reason why she took it. I know that the pill is often used for birth control, but lots of women who never have sex (or not with them) do also take it for one or more of its other purposes. Don't forget that's what it was invented for in the first place, preventing ovulation was just a side effect that was discovered later.

However, the OP wants something natural, and the pill might be tons of things, but it's definitely not natural. It's pumping you with hormones and making your body behaved as though you were pregnant. Plus there can be side effects, too.

I second the idea that once you start working out, it gets easier. Also, I find that a hot bottle over my stomach helps soothe it, and, weirdly, walking around helps a lot too.

And I think sometimes, it just gets better over time. I used to have terrible cramping, and now I don't. I'm not on the pill so that's not it, and the only difference I can think of is that I became vegetarian, and I haven't heard that veggies have less cramps, so I don't think that's linked.

+1000

"I'm just going to remember to not eat like an asshole most of the time" - MoC

three words I can sum up everything I've learned about life: one must squat.- Brobert Frost
 Half-Elf Warrior | Current Challenge
 New Battle Log | Old Battle Log
Special thanks to AkLulu for drawing my awesome avatar!

I'm in the "do it anyway" camp. I always warm up with a light jog, and usually if I can get myself to do that, everything else is fine. Not usually setting any PRs, but I feel better having gotten in some activity. Great for stress too!

"However, the OP wants something natural, and the pill might be tons of things, but it's definitely not natural. It's pumping you with hormones and making your body behaved as though you were pregnant. Plus there can be side effects, too."

yes. agreed. I just felt it needed to be put out in the universe since there was sine random emphasis on pill and sex. :-)

yes highly unnatural.. but it works and definitely isn't for the sexing only ;-)

I have to take the first two days of my cycle off. It's super heavy and really I just feel like I've been hit by a truck. The third day I don't do much and definitely not yoga or anything that wants me to throw myself around. Instead I just stretch or go for a short walk but I do try to get moving that third day if I can. Then I'm usually pretty good to go from there so I just get back into my normal routine. 

Natural remedies for cramps, a heat pack that you microwave and put on your back and across your abdomen does more for me than any advil or tylenol. Same with a hot shower or bath, it just relaxes everything so well. In that same relm is a massage. I always go for a massage within those first two days as I tense up with makes the cramping worse. Drink some chamomille tea it has relaxing and healing properties. I also just watch what I eat, drink lots of fluids if I don't feel like eating & remember to take my multivitamin.  

I was on the pill in highschool just for my cramps and not sexually active at that time and it did help a lot. However, the pill does mess with your hormones so depending on your desire to be natural it could work for you or it may not suit your lifestyle. 

Level 2 Sprite

STR - 3.5 : DEX - 2.75 : STA - 3.5 : CON - 6.5 : WIS - 11 : CHA - 4

You are good enough NOW! 

I'm on the pill because my cycles will knock me out for a week. Cramps so bad I puke and can't really eat anything of substance or it kicks up my gag reflex. I also used to get clots that were about the size of your pinkie fingernail and pretty solid. Since being on the pill I can workout while on the cycle but will reduce the workouts to a long walk with jogging intervals, occasionally stopping when a big cramp hits. The clots are about half the size and while still there it doesn't feel like I'm giving birth anymore. 

Other things that help greatly are epsom salt baths (one cup salts to your average bath size), extra fruit and less carbs so you don't get that heavy feeling so much, and even ginger tea. 

Fight now, cry later.

Heating pad: BETWEEN YOUR LEGS.  Not your abdomen, not your back, between your legs.  For reals.  It makes a difference.

Herbal teas: I've got one that's raspberry leaf, red clover, shepherd's purse, and sage. -- it helps with bloating and pain  It's better than raspberry leaf alone, but the raspberry leaf is probably the most important.  Try adding ginger, as tisane or as lots in your food: good for stomach upset and muscle aches.  I use turmeric tisane as an anti-inflammatory.

Beets are supposed to help with menstruation problems, as an old wives' tale.  I read a study once (but no longer have the source) that they increased blood flow and decreased inflammation.  So eat beets with your other magnesium rich food.

Drink lots of water and avoid sodium more strictly in the days leading up to your cycle.  It will help prevent bloating.

At least in Canada, Traditional Medicines has changed the name of "Weightless" to... something else.  I can't remember.  But if you're looking for it, it may no longer be called that.  I believe it says something about water weight somewhere on the box still, and mentions it used to be called Weightless.

Level Four Mandalorian Assassin

| STR: 8 | DEX: 7.5 | STA: 12 | CON: 8 | WIS: 7.25 | CHA: 6.75 |

| First Challenge | Second Challenge | Third Challenge |

You can't look dignified when you're having fun

Maybe take a trip to your local organic and health food store and talk to someone in the supplements section.  They should have an herbal remedy for bloating and fatigue.  I get migraines, and they had an herbal mix that, now that I don't eat wheat and sugar (my biggest triggers) the herbal supplement often takes care of it.  I bet they have an herbal mix or tincture that helps with the bloat and fatigue.

Level 3 Pandaren Adventurer

“You’re braver than you believe, and stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think.†–A.A. Milne   (Thanks to magi192 for posting this!)

HA I had a baby one this week- barely there at all- one tampon and that was over kill

NEENER NEENER NEENER mother fucking nature.  eat shit and die.

no clue why I didn't actually have it- I'm hoping it's from over training and it doesn't come back. I'm on the pill so fairly regular- was surprised at the lack.  i also do not care.

i hate my period.  burning passion of 1000 suns hate. 

I'm so happy I didn't have to deal with it!

Haha I love your post I-Jo, that's exactly how I feel about my period! If I have a short one, I feel the need to go out fist-bumping everyone. :D

My longest period I think was 32 days. Yeah, of constant bleeding and pain. I finally gave up and went to the doctor begging him for a prescription to put an end to it, when suddenly it just stopped, making me look like a prize idiot.

I've tried pretty much every 'natural' remedy I can get my hands on over the years (except for homeopathy, I'll admit. As a scientist I just can't deal with it). I tried aromatherapy (clary sage oil), raspberry leaf tea (delicious!), something called agnus casta? My other half studied herbal medicine as an undergrad, so I would every week volunteer myself for practice for the herbal med students, and seriously they tried EVERYTHING! I've even tried getting prayed for, I was that desperate to end the misery. I've often been told to 'have a baby' because that magically sorts your periods out. No idea if it's true, but I'd rather have a perm-period than a baby, so.

In the end though, 'natural' just wasn't going to cut it. I got put on the Pill by my doctor, and it sorted me right out. I'm now always on time, usually 5-6 day periods. Bliss. For the pain she gave me mefenamic acid (an NSAID) which worked AMAZING, but unfortunately after a couple of years of taking it every month I got really bad gastric side-effects. Had to go on proton pump inhibitors, intense pain, nearly all foods were off-limits, it was awful. I now avoid all NSAIDs, just take paracetamol (in combination with the Pill, it's not so bad). Other half is now training to be a doctor, and says never taking NSAIDs again if you can avoid it is a healthy decision to make. ;)

Always worth talking to your doctor if you have bad periods, even if you don't want to take any drugs. When I went I got ultrasounds done just to make sure everything internal was OK.

Vixen

Assassin Level 2

Challenge #1, #1.5, #2 , #3 , #4, #5 (current)

HA I had a baby one this week- barely there at all- one tampon and that was over kill

NEENER NEENER NEENER mother fucking nature.  eat shit and die.

no clue why I didn't actually have it- I'm hoping it's from over training and it doesn't come back. I'm on the pill so fairly regular- was surprised at the lack.  i also do not care.

i hate my period.  burning passion of 1000 suns hate. 

I'm so happy I didn't have to deal with it!

Oh honey! While I totally relate to how awesome it would be to have a light or no period at all, amenorrhea is NOT a good thing. It means that your body is under a lot of stress, which probably is effecting your health in other ways as well. It's your body and you do whatever you want to do with it, but I'd suggest to at least read up on it a bit. Paleoforwomen (article link) is my to go place for anything female hormone related.

Current challenge | Fitocracy | UnTamedTresses

Elf Ranger Level 10STR - 14.75 | DEX - 16.00 | STA - 26.75 | CON - 26.75 | WIS - 27.25 | CHA - 22.00