Girls Only! This is about menstrual cycles!

When I am on the pill my period vanishes. For real, its awesome. Sadly it takes my sex drive with it, no it awesome. So I have been off it for about a year now. My periods are anywhere from 3-6 weeks apart (try planning a vacation there) but only last 3 days, and those 3 are hell. No bloating but cramps so bad standing up is difficult and clots that are potentially life forms. The only thing that helps is a drinking water till my eyes float, catnip tea, and ibuprofen when it is the worst.

Human Adventurer

Str: 3 | Dex: 2 | Sta:2 | Con:3 | Wis:3 | Cha:2

I've got no strings to hold me down, to make me smile or make me frown...

Haha I love your post I-Jo, that's exactly how I feel about my period! If I have a short one, I feel the need to go out fist-bumping everyone. :D

My longest period I think was 32 days. Yeah, of constant bleeding and pain. I finally gave up and went to the doctor begging him for a prescription to put an end to it, when suddenly it just stopped, making me look like a prize idiot.

mine are always pretty short- 3-4 days- 5 at the longest. If I'm not working out AT ALL- they are sometimes 6- but it's extremely rare. 

32 days?  SWEET BIPPY- I'd have been in to the doctor WAY sooner than that- oh HELL now am I bleeding for a month straight. Fuck that shit.  God damn being a woman blows.  Glad you got it sorted out- the pill definitely helps me for sure.  

Oh honey! While I totally relate to how awesome it would be to have a light or no period at all, amenorrhea is NOT a good thing. It means that your body is under a lot of stress, which probably is effecting your health in other ways as well. It's your body and you do whatever you want to do with it, but I'd suggest to at least read up on it a bit. Paleoforwomen (article link) is my to go place for anything female hormone related.

yeah I know- tisk tisk tisk away- I deserve it. I've been working out extremely hard- and been doing some aggressive (well aggressive for me- but compared to many others not THAT aggressive) food changes.    We'll see how it goes in a month- one minor barely bleed doesn't justify panic.  

I'll see how it goes next month and if this is a habit.  If this becomes a theme- I'll go see the doctor.

I'm still rejoicing though.  

I'll take a gander at the link tonight- I'm off to the park to work out- need to get some something something in!!!  

When I am on the pill my period vanishes. For real, its awesome. Sadly it takes my sex drive with it, no it awesome. So I have been off it for about a year now. My periods are anywhere from 3-6 weeks apart (try planning a vacation there) but only last 3 days, and those 3 are hell. No bloating but cramps so bad standing up is difficult and clots that are potentially life forms. The only thing that helps is a drinking water till my eyes float, catnip tea, and ibuprofen when it is the worst.

yeah- my sex drive goes way down- which is nice because I need it to be tame- I'm not having sex and I want to be.... so it's nice to not be raring to go constantly as far as plumbing is concerned.  But definitely makes it better.

Working out always seems to be the key for me- if I am- I'm in the least pain possible- but if I quit- I have awful periods.  BOO HISS.  Super cramp almost stay at home kind of stuff. No thanks- it's good motivation to keep working out me thinks!!!

yeah- my sex drive goes way down- which is nice because I need it to be tame- I'm not having sex and I want to be.... so it's nice to not be raring to go constantly as far as plumbing is concerned.

Sadly no sex drive + husband only on weekends = the few times I was in the mood he wasn't home. Very not fun, even the low dose stuff was killing everything.

Human Adventurer

Okay, warning people, this is gross. So stop reading if you're not sure you're up to it.

My longest period was also over a month long. It wasn't just my longest, it was also my second one. A year (perhaps a bit more) after my first one.

It was hell. The blood and clumped together and so it wasn't coming out as liquid, but as jelly-like blobs. One of them was enough to completely fill a menstrual pad, AND dirty the panties all around it because it wasn't just going there slowly.

I would get rid of them in the bathroom as much as possible, and when I felt one had just gone through (and believe me I could feel it) I would rush to the bathroom, empty my panties into the toilet, clean up with toilet paper as best I could and hope I was going to be home soon to actually wash.

Fortunately, it was during the school holidays so it didn't happen in class.

I didn't go see a doctor because I had no clue it was abnormal. People just never talk much about periods, except to say they happen. I was something like 12 and we hadn't covered menstrual cycles so well in school at that point. I could tell it was taking longer than it should, but I figured it was because there was a year between the two of them. And I sincerely thought that the jelly-blobs were just the way it was going to be. When we dissected hearts in school, the blood that was in there had a similar consistency (although of course there was way less of it).

Afterwards over the years my cycles got closer and closer. When I started taking the pill, they were at the point of being every 2 months or so for a couple of weeks. The pill made it regular. When I stopped the pill, it stayed regular, but instead of my periods lasting 7 days like they did on the pill, they pretty much last 2-3 days now, with one day before and one day after that I don't think really count, as I could even get away with wearing panties without liners and my pants would get nothing on them.

Definitely much better now than my first "real" period (the very first one just involved a little bit a bleeding, and to be honest nowadays I think maybe it wasn't even a period but something else).

I remember a friend who had that issue- she was in the shower one day and got super freaked out because it was THAT big. 

I HATE those- I'm super glad I haven't had deal with them- I get chunks but never that badly.  I'm sorry about that- that's got to be horrifying as a child.  <shudder>  

but it does happen to some women- I'm thankful we are far enough along in society to be able to handle this stuff and make it bearable!

Oh man oh man oh man Avistew, that sounds horrific. :( Having to deal with that aged 12 must have been horrible too. (I didn't start until I was 15 or 16, but it's been every month since then)! Thank God it was during a holiday(!)

I'm glad to hear that other people have had gross stuff come out (in a sort of 'thank God it's not just me' way). I never had this blob business, but there was once a hard lump of tissue like the size/shape of a jellybean. It wasn't blood, I swear, because it was a pale colour. Man, I freaked out. Everyone else told me it was just a blood clot, but I still can't shake the idea that it might have been a really really tiny malformed broken attempt at a baby. Even the doctor told me it was just a clot, and I'm sure she's right, but it's hard to make yourself believe something once you get freaked out.

Athena, I didn't consider the hot water bottle as one of the 'natural' remedies, but they are the best it's true. :) Once had some sticky on heat pads things too that I could wear to work, those were awesome. And glad to hear the 'having kids' bit worked out for your periods anyway! 

Who said orgasms? That only makes it worse for me when the uterus cramps up... plus blood EVERYWHERE! I also only see my husband at weekends, so that tends to put a downer on things once a month...

Vixen

Assassin Level 2

Challenge #1, #1.5, #2 , #3 , #4, #5 (current)

That must have been scary, AquaDash, especially with it being a weird colour! I'm sure the doctor would know, and I think something the size of the jellybean would have required you to be several months pregnant, the beginning of a pregnancy is too small to be even seen with the naked eye. So if you had them every month, you definitely know couldn't have been pregnant for long enough (you would have noticed being a couple of months late).

I know that actual intellectual reasoning and rationalizing doesn't really help though with things like this. When I was just starting to get my periods (even after they were normal) it was hard on me because I kept feeling like a baby had just died or something. I wasn't sexually active or anything, I didn't want to be pregnant, and I couldn't have managed a pregnancy at that age anyways, but I guess every period reminded me "you could have had a baby... now the opportunity is dead". It was psychologically difficult.

Then I got used to it. I mean, we always have tons of opportunities that we miss, anyways. Even being pregnant means missing the opportunity of having any other child you could have conceived a bit later, but can't now because you're already pregnant.

Anyways, something weird coming out would definitely be nerve-wracking. I know it took me a while to get used to getting discharges and stuff. When I think about it, the human body can be pretty gross :P

That must have been scary, AquaDash, especially with it being a weird colour! I'm sure the doctor would know, and I think something the size of the jellybean would have required you to be several months pregnant, the beginning of a pregnancy is too small to be even seen with the naked eye. So if you had them every month, you definitely know couldn't have been pregnant for long enough (you would have noticed being a couple of months late).

Yeah, it must have just been some random clot. There could only be the tiniest of chances I could have been pregnant anyway, and I was only a couple of weeks late. Came at a bad time though, as close friend thought she was miscarrying at the same time (we were both away at a conference, not great timing!). But she didn't miscarry and her baby girl is nearly three now! :)

Yeah the human body is gross. Sometimes I want to curse being a girl! But then men also have their gross bits as well (husband used to work in urology so I heard all the horror stories), so you win some, you lose some. Even though I don't personally want kids, the thought that I could make a tiny person if I wanted to is pretty cool. :)

Vixen

Assassin Level 2

Woah! Well, my mom did tell me everyone has a different period. Mine got lighter as I've lost weight and started working out. It's just the cramps that are still bothering me, but thanks to everyone's advice I have a battle plan to prevent it.

LOL I think it's funny how others think some of the things our bodies do are gross. It fascinates me, how a bone doesn't always break where there is stress, the body absorbs the energy and transfers it to a bone it know it can heal faster. Different diseases causing sometimes permanent damage inside and out. And despite what movies show, just being stabbed in the chest does not guarantee the heart of artery would be hit. My dad showed me YouTube video of a guy getting an abscess on his back popped, the nurse lanced it and then squeezed...and all this yellow puss came pouring out! It was awesome! Dad thought I would be disgusted but to me it looked like cream cheese, made me hungry. Now he thinks I should be a coroner or doctor instead of a Marine.

You can be a coroner or doctor AND be a marine. It would be awesome

Hmmm...your right! While I'm in the Marines I could study for it, plus add some other things I wanted to learn. My goal is to eventually become a jack of all trades, but master of all!

BEWARE!

I dunno, I clicked that first link and the first sentence is "6 weeks pregnant... your baby is the size of a lentil this week". In other words, what, a tenth of a jellybean, size-wise? Lentils are tiny. Even if you count pregnancy from the last period you did have, and that makes her 6 weeks pregnant instead of 4, sounds to me like what came out was still too big to be an embryo.

Also, at 6 weeks she's unlikely not to have had morning sickness.

Either way, even if you had a miscarriage, you should know that it's extremely common to have early miscarriages. Most women never notice, because there just isn't anything to see. But I remember being taught in sex ed that if you're sexually active and not using birth control, you'll have more miscarraiges that you never notice than you'll have pregnancies. Of course it varies from one woman to the next, I'm sure.E

EDIT: I just realised my phrasing is weird. Obviously, miscarriage implies pregnancy so you can't have one without the other. What I meant by "more early miscarriage than pregnancies", which obviously isn't the phrasing they used :tongue: was that out of all the times women get pregnant in their lifetime, a majority of them go unnoticed because they end in a miscarriage before anyone noticed anything, especially really early on.

Although I'm questioning whether I'm remembering it right. That would make us a very inefficient species if most of the times a pregnancy is started, it aborts before anyone noticed it. Maybe the lesson actually was that most miscarriages happen before women even know they're pregnant?

There are times when it isn't aborted per say, but the fertilized egg fails to implant. It may be too far along its path through the system, the uterine lining may be too thin to adhere, etc etc. There is a sweet spot of about 3 days to get the timing exactly right for there to be a successful fertilization and implantation. Fertilization can happen whenever an egg is present however. 

Either way, in that case then the egg would still be a bit small to notice during menstruation.

Human Adventurer

I'm hoping to have as many kids as I can have. One of the reasons I don't want BC, as it's known to cause some sterility.

Sure giving birth is gross (well not to me, I raise dairy goats, comes with the job), but it's brief and you end up getting a mini me!

Gross gross gross gross gross. Yeah I just find periods and babies and all that disgusting. I've no problem with anything else (I work in medical research, on the intestines!), not troubled by blood or anything. But babies, yuck. Don't even like holding them. I prefer animals. :P

Well, whatever came out was the size of a jelly baby, not a lentil, so maybe it was, maybe it wasn't? If it was a baby it wouldn't have lived, it didn't have limb buds or eyes or anything. It really wasn't meant to be. The thought that it might have been a baby makes me feel pretty sick, but not sad or anything. Just kinda ill. Gross though, I mean what even WAS it. If even a baby hadn't had time to grow to that size, what the hell was this random lump of tissue? Yuck.

For the record I do two different kinds of contraception (belt and braces!), so it really is unlikely it was something. If it was a baby, I should have brought a lottery ticket that day, with odds like that...

I was kinda pissed off that the doctor didn't really want to do anything about it, and it told me it was normal, but what can you do. Well, maybe some people would have stood up for themselves and got tested or something, but I'm not amazing at confrontation now, and I was even worse then.

That would make us a very inefficient species if most of the times a pregnancy is started, it aborts before anyone noticed it.

Probably really useful on an evolutionary level. Pregnancy and childbirth were pretty dangerous back in the day right, so I guess if there is anything wrong with the embryo it's much better for it to abort naturally early on, than to die inside the mother and make her sick or kill her. 

Vixen

Assassin Level 2

I'm hoping to have as many kids as I can have. One of the reasons I don't want BC, as it's known to cause some sterility.

Sure giving birth is gross (well not to me, I raise dairy goats, comes with the job), but it's brief and you end up getting a mini me!

ugh- it's gonna be like throwing a hotdog down a hallway after that!!!!  LOL no thanks!!! I love having sex- don't want to ruin that!!   You go on and have ten for me!  :)  tag you're it!!!  :onthego:

and no- it's not brief- it's a 8 month lead up of miserableness  followed by a potentially life threatening situation- that could last DAYS.  

And then you have no life. Done. It's over. Life as you know it- it's gone.  You give up yourself for 18 years and then some.  

no I'm not interested- it's not a mini me either- it's a human you are responsible for raising.  nope- LOL being a good parent takes hard work and I have zero interest.

Thankfully- you got my half covered!!!  he he he he- you can have all the kids.  

I'm not planning on having biological children either, but I honestly don't think the "hotdog in a hallway" thing is true. This is a muscle, and here we know all about being fit and using our muscles. You don't get irremediably loose if you can work out... Now I'm sure there might be cases of tearing and damage that requires your muscles to recover, but... As far as I know, the vaginas that can stretch the most aren't necessarily the ones that can tighten the least.

Sadly, I hear a lot of women request a C-section specifically for that reason. C-sections are great when they're needed, but it's surgery, and it has more risks (both for the mother and for the baby) than giving birth down there. I'm all for people being able to make choices, but it makes me a bit sad to think that there are women who die of complications simply because they worried they wouldn't be tight enough anymore, which might not even have been true to begin with :(

I've been lectured by the family's women about how it is my job as a woman to have kids. Nope, my job as a woman is the same as if I were a man; live my life happy to the best of my ability, don't mess with other people or let them mess with me and deal with whatever is thrown my way as I live it. Having to deal with the monthly subscription to me is like getting junk mail when there's a "no junk" sticker on your letter box. It's there because something is making it happen and I can do all I want to stop it but unless you pull the damn letter box down it's still going to be there, and when you pull the box down you get an additional problem, ie where do they put your mail?

Since I'm on the pill and skip cycles as often as I can, I won't have to deal for another 3 months or so (finished up last week) but then I have the worry of "if it's not happening every month, how will I know if I get pregnant". I can't take a week off work monthly just because I'm throwing up or (occasionally it does happen) passing out in public. I also refuse to ask for special treatment just because I'm a girl, hence the use of the cup so I'm not taking constant bathroom breaks and can get on with things as best I can. 

Fight now, cry later.

I'm not planning on having biological children either, but I honestly don't think the "hotdog in a hallway" thing is true. This is a muscle, and here we know all about being fit and using our muscles. You don't get irremediably loose if you can work out... Now I'm sure there might be cases of tearing and damage that requires your muscles to recover, but... As far as I know, the vaginas that can stretch the most aren't necessarily the ones that can tighten the least.

Sadly, I hear a lot of women request a C-section specifically for that reason. C-sections are great when they're needed, but it's surgery, and it has more risks (both for the mother and for the baby) than giving birth down there. I'm all for people being able to make choices, but it makes me a bit sad to think that there are women who die of complications simply because they worried they wouldn't be tight enough anymore, which might not even have been true to begin with :(

i have no substantiated evidence of that either.  But there is no way some of the babies come out of there and things aren't irrevocably changed.  some of those babies are just HUGE- I hate the idea of it- it makes sex beyond not appealing. 

C section is out too- you cut my lower ab muscles- the chance of not being able to have them work again isn't one worth taking- i use them for bellydancing- and it's a complaint we see- it's annoying and sad.  So yeah- no thanks.    

But it's still a great line ;)  the hotdog one LOL

no no no I'll take my risks- having a baby aint one of them- and it's a risk you CHOOSE to have.  So no thanks- I'll pass.