Fish Oil?

I always thought that fish oil was predominately for individuals who had joint problems or for people that were lacking in a particular area and need a supplement to assist them. I'm not currently in pain anywhere, and I'm seeing progress. However, I've heard that fish oil has some other unusual properties, such as helping diminish acne and stabilizing your diet. What does fish oil really do and would it help me get into and stay in shape? 

STR - 9 DEX - 10 STA - 12 CON - 6 WIS - 12.5 CHA - 5 Level 4 Assassin Soldier 

Current Challenge: "Becoming Oliver Queen: Part 1" 

Battle Log: "Will You Commit Yourself to This Program?" 

Epic Quest: "The List" (coming soon!) 

Мой аргумент не Ñ Ð²Ð°Ð¼Ð¸ - My argument is not with you. 

fish oil is fantastic for you. its full of healthy fats - omega 3's - like DHA & EPA which support strong brain function.

it also increases serotonin which can help with depression. it lowers cholesterol, helps with inflammation, its good for your skin & joints...

its a great supplement for anyone to take and if you're getting yourself into shape it'd be very helpful to your body & recovery.

lvl 1 half-elf scoutSTR 2|DEX 4|STA 4|CON 2|WIS 1|CHA 2

running & exercise log ~ food journal ~ @robertincypress

Ive read somewhere that the fish oil supplements lose their effectiveness by the time they reach the store shelves. I still take mine but also make sure im eating fish and flax seeds regularly.

USS & NBAC Masters swim coach

Current: lifter, runner

Former: triathlete, cyclocross racer, NCAA swimmer

Current games: Borderlands 2, Runescape, Star Ocean, Dragon's Dogma

Thanks guys! I think next time I head to the supermarket I'll grab some fish oil and see if I notice or feel a difference. 

Any possible negative side effects? 

STR - 9 DEX - 10 STA - 12 CON - 6 WIS - 12.5 CHA - 5 Level 4 Assassin Soldier 

Current Challenge: "Becoming Oliver Queen: Part 1" 

Battle Log: "Will You Commit Yourself to This Program?" 

Epic Quest: "The List" (coming soon!) 

Мой аргумент не Ñ Ð²Ð°Ð¼Ð¸ - My argument is not with you. 

Only side effect I know of is fishy smelling/tasting burps, though I have never experienced this issue...

LVL 3: Zoran Warrior

STR:9 | DEX:5 | STA:10 | CON:5 | WIS:12.75 | CHA:9

Current Challenge: Not Really A 6 Week Challenge Challenge

Previous Challenges: 1st2nd

"The way I see it, every life is a pile of good things and bad things. Good things don't always soften the bad things, but vice versa, the bad things don't necessarily spoil the good things or make them unimportant."

Only side effect I know of is fishy smelling/tasting burps, though I have never experienced this issue...

I've had this problem, though not every time I take them. For me it seems like it's a case of them causing a bit of indigestion, but I have yet to discover what factors make me react this way to them and what helps me avoid it.

Dare mighty things

Current Challenge

On that note, i'm taking 4000mg a day, what are the recommended numbers? 

I take 3000 mg a day (1000mg 3x a day) so you should be good. But remember 1000mg of fish oil does not equal 1000mg of omega 3's, which is the important thing. I think the recommendation for omega 3 is something like 500mg a day so make sure you are taking enough fish oil to cover that. The brand I'm taking has 300mg of omega3 per 1000mg of fish oil

lvl 1 half-elf scoutSTR 2|DEX 4|STA 4|CON 2|WIS 1|CHA 2

running & exercise log ~ food journal ~ @robertincypress

I may have to look into this liquid fish oil thing, since I can't stand swallowing those horse pills...

Level 2 Furyan Ranger    You keep what you kill

STR 3 | DEX 2 | STA 3 | CON 2 | WIS 2 | CHA 3
6.1 6.2 | Duolingo | Daily Fitocracy

Spoiler

Captain Hammer: Have I seen you at the gym?

Billy: [smiles] At the gym!

Captain Hammer: [to himself] I don't go to the gym, I'm just naturally like this...

Some people eat fish to help with depression, attention deficit-hyperactivity disorder.

I'm not sure if it's relevant for you, but...I happen to be one of those people. I read a book called The Depression Cure and bought the author/doctor's suggested supplement (Vitacost brand Mega EFA) and it has pretty much changed my life. I haven't been on a proscribed antidepressant since October of 2011, I think, and though I've fiddled with my dose a little, it works great. No antidepressant-like side effects, just the spare fishy burp on occasion.

Race: Hobbit

Class: Druid with a little assassin/scout in there somewhere

I have many win conditions, but my main quest is getting out there in the first place :)

Level 2 Furyan Ranger    You keep what you kill

STR 3 | DEX 2 | STA 3 | CON 2 | WIS 2 | CHA 3
6.1 6.2 | Duolingo | Daily Fitocracy

Spoiler

Captain Hammer: Have I seen you at the gym?

Billy: [smiles] At the gym!

Captain Hammer: [to himself] I don't go to the gym, I'm just naturally like this...

The only supplements I take are protein powder and fish oil. I started taking the fish oil because I do have rheumatoid arthritis, and I did notice a big difference for that. But I also noticed that I was generally recovering better, my skin looks fantastic, and my lifelong depression is managed without medication. Of course, it's all anecdotal evidence... I don't have scientific proof for anything. But I think it's worth trying.

I take a high dose of quality fish oil, and it's expensive. The Stronger, Faster, Healthier liquid is the most tolerable, high concentrated stuff I've found. Take it like a shot (my roommate actually uses a shot glass for this), and chase it with OJ to get the last of the taste out of your mouth. I struggle with the liquid stuff, so I generally take PurePharma's gel capsules. My dosage adds up to 3g of DHA+EPA per day (not 3g of fish oil, which isn't the same thing).

Just a note: work up to higher dosages pretty slowly and use higher quality products to prevent side effects. Going from no fish oil to a high dose all at once will leave you with some tummy issues.

On that note, i'm taking 4000mg a day, what are the recommended numbers? 

Based on what I've heard/read, you want to aim for at least 1g of EPA/DHA per day (obviously varying to an extent from person to person). The oil should have the EPA/DHA amount per serving info below the nutrition facts.

Long Term Goals:                                                                                                              

Spoiler

200# 245# Snatch                                                                                                             

300# Clean and Jerk                                                                                                         

380# 465# Back Squat

450# 500# Deadlift

Planche

Human Flag

Front Lever

285# Log Clean and Press

1k Row under 3:20

Back Flip

Bodyweight Turkish Get-up

For physical training is of some value, but godliness has value for all things, holding promise for the present life and the life to come. 1 Timothy 4:8

Never compromise.

Fish oil will be beneficial to anyone, not just people with diseases. As already stated, most people are lacking in Omega3s, which are responsible for almost anything related to to heart and brain health as well as inflammation/skin. Taking fish oil will most certainly aid in your recovery. In terms of dosage, there is no upper limit to how much you can take (although the FDA recommendation is 3 grams a day max). Its best to start small and ramp up until you notice a difference. Also, the cheaper oils typically are put through heavier processing resulting in low absorption. Krill oil is known to be easily digestible and has the added benefit of being mostly contaminant free, since krill are at the bottom of the oceans food chain.

ALA (the oil found in flax seeds) has other benefits aside from its Omega3s. Flax seeds are good to take alongside fish oil but they are not a substitute.

• Like 1

Fish oil is one of the best supplements that you can take. :)

As people above have mentioned it supplies Omega-3 fatty acids, which is something lacking for most people in their diets. What hasn't been mentioned is that fish oil is also good for the production of testosterone.

Follow me on my blog:

http://gainweightjournal.com/

My ultimate guide on how to gain weight

(all the wisdom I gained through the years of trying to gain weight)