RobinStarling studies in the Imminent Grove

RobinStarling

A young adventurer is resting quietly in the Imminent Grove after having been accepted as a student by the Mater Patterner of the school of wizardry on Roke Island.

The young adventurer had once been awed by the flashy spells thrown around by village witches and weather workers, but as he had started to mature in both body and mind he discovered the simple beauty of the Master Patterner's way of life.

Living among the trees of the Imminent Grove, which is the centre of the world, and watching the patterns of the universe form and change.

===

Ok so I might be blurring the line a bit too much here trying to claim "wizard" in a druid's guild. But to me the Master Patterner of Roke perfectly fits the archetype of the modern idea of what a druid is.

For those that haven't read them, I'm making reference here to Ursula K. Le Guin's Earthsea books.

I come to the druid guild after having spent two challenges with the adventurers. My eventual goal is to be a dual-class warrior druid.

I have been feeling a need to get my spiritual life in shape lately, so I will start my training with the druids first!

Goal One:

An active mind needs an active body.

I will workout four times a week, with at least two of these workouts being strength training. Swimming or yoga are the other two likely options.

6 D, 12 C, 18 B, 22+ A

STR 3 STA 1

Goal Two:

Meditate for at least 10 minutes everyday. Preferably 15 or 20 minutes, but 10 is sufficient.

11 D, 21 C, 32, B 40+ A

WIS 4

Goal Three:

Two days of fasting a week on average. Fast days will be on days that I have not done any strength training- yoga or swimming of fast days is fine. On strength training days I will aim to slightly over eat in order to feed my muscles and prevent starvation mode.

Preferably fast days will consist of consuming no food at all only water and possibly tea. However, while staying with family I will allow a small end of the dinner.

3 D, 6 C, 9 B, 12 A

CON 3

--- I'm just going to get in quickly and change this before the challenges proper start. I'm going to change this goal to at least 5 days a week of intermittent fasting. This involves no breakfast, and either no or a late lunch. ---

Goal Four:

To read/translate 5 sentences from a spanish picture book each day (35 a week).

And transcribe these into my flash card program. This goal may be done day by day, or in chunks of what ever size.

The spanish goal is the one I have failed in the most for my past two challenges, so I am going to push really hard to do well in this one.

52 D, 104 C, 156 B, 205+ A

WIS 2 CHA 2

Level 4

Wood Elf Assassin

STR: 12| DEX: 2| STA: 2| CON: 7.75| WIS: 9| CHA: 5|

Current challenge:

Hello there and welcome to the Druids! 

Mixing it up a bit between Warriors and Druids sounds like an exciting combination.

How experienced are you in meditation and yoga?

If you are starting meditation with this challenge I would recommend a shorter time maybe, or doing three days a week to ease into it.

Regarding yoga, I'd ask the same question about experience. Are you doing yoga mainly as a workout or more for the "spiritual side"? It might be good to take a few classes to start with.

Namaste

I have chosen to believe in myself.

Robin, welcome to the Druids.  I think having a resident Wizard is a great addition.

I listen to a 15 minute guided meditation every morning.   And I also do some meditating while sitting in our hot tub.

Have a great challenge. :star:

VioletFlame (Margie), level 4 Wood elf druid
STR 8 | DEX 6 | STA 14.5 | CON 11.25 | WIS 9.75 | CHA 9

2013 Challenge #1  ~ #2  ~ #3 ~ #4 ~ #5

Current Challenge

Hi! Thanks for the friendly welcomes!

I do have a bit of experience in meditation. My eventual goal would be 20 or even 30 minutes everyday. But I'm keeping it low for now to make it easier to follow. 10 minutes everyday is, I think, better than 20 or 30 minutes every now and then.

Yoga I've done a bit of, but will be keeping to mostly simple stuff. Some sun salutations, and some hip work as I've got a not so good hip- but recently found that fish oils helps a lot, and so am trying to open up the hip area. But I will try and find places to do yoga classes every so often. (I'm currently traveling, so I cannot have a local).

As far as physical or spiritual, I've been trying to blur that line a bit lately. Yoga is an obvious one, it is supposed to be good for your body, while also giving a chance to practice some moving mediation.
I read a very cool quote in a book a week or so ago though that, through mindfulness, exercise and consuming food can both become like a living prayer. 

Hah, I sometimes try to mediate while taking a bath, 
The problem is I love making the bath way too hot, so I just get light headed.

Level 4

Wood Elf Assassin

Current challenge:

I'm really interested that you're fasting as one of your goals - is that for weight loss or more of a mental/spiritual exercise?

Level 2 Wild Elf Warrior

• [*]

Strength (STR) - 8

[*]

Dexterity (DEX) - 2

[*]

Stamina (STA) - 2

[*]

Constitution (CON) - 3

[*]

Wisdom (WIS) - 2

[*]

Charisma (CHA) - 2

“I saved a man's life once," said Granny. "Special medicine, twice a day. Boiled water with a bit of berry juice in it. Told him I'd bought it from the dwarves. That's the biggest part of doct'rin, really. Most people'll get over most things if they put their minds to it, you just have to give them an interest.â€

As to the questions about fasting, it is mostly a health/fat loss thing. I've actually Putin a small edit changing the goal to intermittent fasting. Though I may still throw in a few days of not eating at all.

I think fasting is a viable spiritual practice, but to me seems more of an every now and then thing, maybe when preparing for a special spiritual event or celebration.

To Sunmage, no I haven't read any of his stuff, but I just googled him and he looks pretty fascinating. Might have to try getting hold of some of his books.

====

As a quick update the first day went well with fasting till 2, swimming and meditation. No Spanish yet, but as I said, that can be clumped, and I have gone back and found the site with all the children's picture books on it.

Level 4

Wood Elf Assassin

Current challenge:

Thanks.

Personally I find the hunger part of fasting to be no big deal, and I can almost enjoy the empty feeling, when I have cracked in previous fasts it has been due to cravings rather than hunger.

Still, since I won't be doing many fats longer than 24 hours, I think I should do ok at sticking with it!

Level 4

Wood Elf Assassin

Current challenge:

Whoo! Today was my shortest fast, but still didn't eat till 1pm or so, so still counts.

Caught up to 20 Spanish sentences today.

Have done a little yoga, and will do more later as well as some meditation.

Thus will be totally on track and not behind on any of my goals!

Level 4

Wood Elf Assassin

Current challenge:

Welcome to the Druids! :) 

Looks like our first mini-challenge part was made for your Warrior-Druid combo! :)

Instead of catching up on Spanish I highly recommend getting ahead... then making a habit of doing some very 2 days. They way you are sure to nail that goal this time. Get off the computer now. Do your Spanish. Then come back and enjoy your online time! :)

Lusitanian Druid, Level 9
STR: 13 | DEX: 15 | STA: 17 | CON: 22 | WIS: 25 | CHA: 25

“We are what we repeatedly do; excellence, then, is not an act but a habit.†- Aristotle

Current Challenge: Living the Good Life II Past: 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th, 6th, 7th,  8th9th, 10th11th, 12th

Goal: 1001 Steps on the Road to a Home -> 18/348 in 2015 

5.27%
5.27%

Goal: loose 9KG in 2015 -> 1.5KG lost 

16.67%
16.67%

Thanks guys :)

I'm actually at a good level with the Spanish, I've been keeping up to date, or slightly ahead.

Spanish is the goal I've struggled to keep up with most in the past, so I'm quite happy with how I'm going.

Level 4

Wood Elf Assassin

Current challenge:

Thanks guys :)

I'm actually at a good level with the Spanish, I've been keeping up to date, or slightly ahead.

Spanish is the goal I've struggled to keep up with most in the past, so I'm quite happy with how I'm going.

Happy with how you are doing is great! Keep it up!

“We are what we repeatedly do; excellence, then, is not an act but a habit.†- Aristotle

Current Challenge: Living the Good Life II Past: 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th, 6th, 7th,  8th9th, 10th11th, 12th

5.27%
5.27%

16.67%
16.67%

Congratulations on an awesome week! Keep it up! :)

5.27%
5.27%

16.67%
16.67%

To be honest I'm rather struggling with the scouts mini challenge this week. Maybe I'll go for a run or something. I'm trying to she'd some fat, so I won't be able to meet carb requirements, but I could maybe just look into what they should be.

I missed meditating yesterday, which means I only have two more days I can skip before an A becomes impossible.

I feel like my muscles are getting smaller but, I'm not sure- my strength seems ok though- I think the insurance has gone down though.

I'm trying to get down to a "solid base" and then clean bulk from there though, so I'm not too worried about muscle, as long as I keep doing a little strength training, and I've already done two sessions this week.

Level 4

Wood Elf Assassin

Current challenge:

As a quick update the first day went well with fasting till 2, swimming and meditation.

RobinStarling going for a swim, eh? That must be what that Flann O'Brien book is about. Hello, I followed you here from the Scout mini-challenge and I see you are a fellow student of Iberian languages so thought I'd give you the big thumbs- up and tell you to keep at it!

I know what you mean about feeling your muscles are getting smaller - I get that sometimes - it doesn't feel like much changes, except that over the long term it does! What's with the fasting though? If you're exercising you need to eat something nutritious to keep your strength up.

Sent from my HTC Desire S using Tapatalk 2

Level 20 Ferret Demon Scout

STR 43 | DEX 21 | STA 49 | CON 30 | WIS 45 | CHA 21

Challenges: #1 #2 #3 #4 #5 #6 #7 #8 #9 #10 #11 #12 #13 #14 #15 #16 #17 #18 #19 #20 #21 #22 #23 #24 #25

Instagram | Wordpress | Twitter | Linkedin | Goodreads | Facebook: *spits* I despise facebook!

Valeu a pena? Tudo vale a pena Se a alma não é pequena.

I'm not sure I get your reference sorry!
But hi!

The fasting is to help me in my efforts to cut.
Plus it is supposed to have various health benefits. I realise I will be sacrificing some muscle. But I am making sure to eat a lot on workout days, So I hope to minimise damage.

Level 4

Wood Elf Assassin

Current challenge:

Sorry, it was a bit obscure: "At Swim Two Birds" is the name of the book.

Anyway, good luck with the rest of the challenge!

Sent from my HTC Desire S using Tapatalk 2

Level 20 Ferret Demon Scout

STR 43 | DEX 21 | STA 49 | CON 30 | WIS 45 | CHA 21

Challenges: #1 #2 #3 #4 #5 #6 #7 #8 #9 #10 #11 #12 #13 #14 #15 #16 #17 #18 #19 #20 #21 #22 #23 #24 #25

Instagram | Wordpress | Twitter | Linkedin | Goodreads | Facebook: *spits* I despise facebook!

Valeu a pena? Tudo vale a pena Se a alma não é pequena.

Important Information

New here? Please check out our Privacy Policy and Community Guidelines