• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Waldo

Waldo Challenge 9.0

For the curious, do you have any sense of what fat/carb ratio you want within there, or do you play it by ear?

I never really pay much attention to carbs/fat. Carbs/fat is that which is not protein. I prefer carbs to fat, but really get plenty of both.

In general though I tend to eat carb intakes that would turn most people white. 250-350g/day is the norm when cutting, when bulking I'm in the 400-500+g/day area.

I never really pay much attention to carbs/fat. Carbs/fat is that which is not protein. I prefer carbs to fat, but really get plenty of both.

In general though I tend to eat carb intakes that would turn most people white. 250-350g/day is the norm when cutting, when bulking I'm in the 400-500+g/day area.

Sounds about right actually, especially if you're cutting at 2200. 

Sounds about right actually, especially if you're cutting at 2200.

Does to me too. But you have to remember, this is how the vast majority here think of carbs:

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/dial-in-your-carb-count/#axzz2QXzfXtRh

Dare I say that most people have an inherenat fear of carbs. I don't at all. Waldo eats all the sweet things. Sugar = carbs = fuel = winning.

Does to me too. But you have to remember, this is how the vast majority here think of carbs:

Dare I say that most people have an inherenat fear of carbs. I don't at all. Waldo eats all the sweet things. Sugar = carbs = fuel = winning.

Oh, I'm with you.  Bulking I was in the 300-400g carb range, which for females, was making many people inform me I was going to die of "metabolic derangement" at a moment's notice.

Unfortunately my cut is much, much tinier in caloric budget than yours, leaving little room for carbs. :(

I swear Mr. Sisson is the carbohydrate anti-christ. His writing seems like it's tailor made to piss people who actually know a thing or two about nutrition off.

I swear Mr. Sisson is the carbohydrate anti-christ. His writing seems like it's tailor made to piss people who actually know a thing or two about nutrition off.

Think about it, though: he's writing for a sedentary, elitist, ultimate-health-seeking subculture with intense ancestral nostalgia. If you're on your butt all day writing long-winded blog posts about the virtues of coconut oil, then chances are you just don't need quite that many carbs.

But if you're as "primally" active as he advocates, (in which case you wouldn't have much time for internetting anyway) then you best be scarfing those 'taters.

I was downing loads of potatoes while living in France and still got called "skinny" because every day I was out walking everywhere, lugging heavy groceries, etc etc generally being a functional person.

......because every day I was out walking everywhere, lugging heavy groceries, etc etc generally being a functional person.

LOL

Generally being a functional person.

Sugar = carbs = fuel = winning.

....as I write this I'm demolishing a 1/4 lb chocolate bunny I've stocked up on in the post easter cheap chocolate extravaganza. Not only do I have the calorie space for it, but my workout tonight was the type of depletion workout where straight pure sugar is about the single best thing I can eat post-workout.

Hopefully tonight marks the start of a weight turnaround (how ass backwards it is to be saying that given that I'm cutting, yet want to gain weight). I suspect that my body is going to be in an extreme carb hungry state for the next few days to refill what it shed in the last week without exercise.

Waldo is mainlining glycogen....

Anway. 

About.damn.time.

Was freakin out with a whole week off.

Workout Log - 4/15

Leg Day A

Lunge Matrix x5

Kick Circuit x5

BW RDL - 10 reps

BW Squat - 10 reps

BW Pistol - 3e++/3e++, 1e++/0 reps (2nd "set" was just to check out an aspect of my form)

Full ROM Skater Squat (+10 lb assist) - 5x+/5e++ reps

Full ROM Skater Squat (BW) - 2c1c1c1x-/5e++, 5x+/5e++ reps

Run to (7:37.78) and from (8:29.84) sprinting hill

125M Hill Sprints:

Run 1 - 17.50 sec

Run 2 - 15.71 sec

Run 3 - 16.78 sec

Run 4 - 18.21 sec

- Pistols felt really good.  Very solid form.  Probably the best I've ever done.

- Left knee didn't get sore, but the quads near the knee got notably tight and sore.  Week off really helped the knee it seems.

- Going to be a bit of a learning curve with the skater squats.  Notable improvement set to set though.  For form with them:

- = some toe assist at a hard part

+ = toe tap, but no force assist (allows leaning forward a hair that starts the tilt that starts the move upwards)

++ = knee only touches ground

for the time being, we'll see how my form changes as I get more comfortable.

- The first set of BW skaters on the left was more to get a feel for how all the muscles work, hence the cluster repping.

- Fastest sprint was run at 90-95%.  Ran hard, but didn't get the shakes or enter the zone.  On purpose, I didn't want to go full bore on my first workout.  Always have to understand the risks with sprinting, today was an unusually risky day to go 110%.

- Back to working on my long striding on runs 3-4, something I was doing late last summer.

- All in all I took it fairly easy.  I didn't want to go too hard and cripple myself with DOMS.

- Spent a little time working on my left pinkie toe today.  A few minutes at my desk at work, trying to do toe curls in my shoe essentially.  A few minutes barefoot trying to move it.  And was mindful of it running to/from hill.  I'm starting to get an idea of which muscles move it.

I always love that first workout back. You feel like you're gonna have slid back a bit, but instead you feel... more... RAWR MOAR POWERFUL THAN EVAR!!!1!1!!

I always love that first workout back. You feel like you're gonna have slid back a bit, but instead you feel... more... RAWR MOAR POWERFUL THAN EVAR!!!1!1!!

Yep.

I made sure the pump the brakes a bit though.

As I get wiser to the ways of training, knowing when to go all out and when to ease back the throttle is definitely something I'm getting a good sense of; how my work right now will impact the rest of my work this workout and how it will impact future workout is always something I consider now. Opening things up full bore is only something I do nowadays when I plan to in advance.

First workout back, while it might be fun to push my limits since I'm hungry to work, and my body would probably cooperate, is about the worst possible workout to go all out. 20% of the work produces 80% of the soreness, best to avoid that 20%. Some DOMS is inevitable, no need to be sore for a week with super powerful DOMS though.

Lol, so my gut already has that "cuttin'" feeling and its only been 12 hours. Starting to get that feels like grapes thing that lyle mcd talks about, and my skin has shifted from firm(ish) to notably softer. These two things combine to make pinches notably smaller and things feel smooshier.

Pretty clear that my body is burning some fat already. That soft feeling is a cutting only thing; firming up is about the first thing that happens in a bulk.

Of course my after workout weight-in was a jaw to the floor WTF of 201.0. One week ago today I was 206.8 (admittedly a higher day); at the end of my bulk I was averaging 206.9 lb with a high single day of 209.6. Sprinting always causes me to drop a few though, that shit burns up glycogen like nothing else. But it is a bit reassuring that I am seeing definite burning fat symptoms, and that my loss isn't only LBM (not to be confused with muscle tissue, LBM is that which is not fat).

Think about it, though: he's writing for a sedentary, elitist, ultimate-health-seeking subculture with intense ancestral nostalgia. If you're on your butt all day writing long-winded blog posts about the virtues of coconut oil, then chances are you just don't need quite that many carbs.

But if you're as "primally" active as he advocates, (in which case you wouldn't have much time for internetting anyway) then you best be scarfing those 'taters.

I was downing loads of potatoes while living in France and still got called "skinny" because every day I was out walking everywhere, lugging heavy groceries, etc etc generally being a functional person.

I think for most sedentary people what Mark Sisson writes is good advice. As someone who weighed 270lbs just last January following his methods allowed me to lose a ton of weight and put on some muscle. I now need to start adding in more carbs to get my performance higher but his methods did get me to where I am so to dismiss him as not knowing what he is talking about at all not completely correct either. As Waldo always states everyone is their own N=1 test and you need to find your path. Shunning carbs for a year (or keeping them very low) certainly worked for me and helped me to establish a discipline to break free from processed foods and sweets. 

Pretty clear that my body is burning some fat already. That soft feeling is a cutting only thing; firming up is about the first thing that happens in a bulk.

Interesting! I've noticed this on me too, but I thought it was a bad sign, haha. What is causing that?

Interesting! I've noticed this on me too, but I thought it was a bad sign, haha. What is causing that?

Nope, its definitely a good sign.

Your skin getting softer feeling, and fat feeling smooshier it is a clear sign of fat burning. Your pinches (manual or with a caliper) should be smaller as well.

Like bulking, I notice waves when cutting, but much smaller, only lasting a few days. You get soft days, where in general you feel the fattest (soft and squishy makes you feel fat), but where the scale tends to be your friend, and firm days, where your fat areas seem notably smaller with firmer skin, but the scale isn't as friendly.

I think the general BF% area where we are is where this effect is the strongest. With a lot more fat you really won't get (or notice) firm days (and will probably have enough loose skin that they wouldn't happen anyway if you've lost a lot), a lot leaner and there just isn't enough fat to notice soft days (a theory of mine at least, never been lean enough to see the effect fade).

I wonder if Wolverine is starting to get lean enough for this effect to start fading.

Very interesting, thanks! I'll have to pay attention and see if I notice that correlation between "softness" and the scale.

Does it only affect feel, or is that noticeable visually? If you skin/fat feels "soft" it seems like it would be saggy or something. Is that the case, or is it just feel?

I think for most sedentary people what Mark Sisson writes is good advice. As someone who weighed 270lbs just last January following his methods allowed me to lose a ton of weight and put on some muscle. I now need to start adding in more carbs to get my performance higher but his methods did get me to where I am so to dismiss him as not knowing what he is talking about at all not completely correct either. As Waldo always states everyone is their own N=1 test and you need to find your path. Shunning carbs for a year (or keeping them very low) certainly worked for me and helped me to establish a discipline to break free from processed foods and sweets. 

Didn't mean to make it sound like he doesn't know a thing or two, I was knocking his writing style more or less. I will never support the use of blatant over-the-top scare tactics when it comes to balanced nutrition, which as Waldo pointed out is what happens to a significant portion of his followers.

For you, as an individual, regardless of who or what you get your information from, you have to do your thing; I agree with that. Using a carb lowered methodology? That's fine with me. Stopped eating carbs because an internet guru screamed at you until he was blue in the face that carbs are literally hitler? Doesn't fly.

Cameron, on 16 Apr 2013 - 11:04, said:

Very interesting, thanks! I'll have to pay attention and see if I notice that correlation between "softness" and the scale.

Does it only affect feel, or is that noticeable visually? If you skin/fat feels "soft" it seems like it would be saggy or something. Is that the case, or is it just feel?

I don't know that it really get saggy or is visually noticable when static, but it surely is more jiggly.

You always will look the best after raising calories following a cut. That initial firming up (like firm days when cutting, but even more extreme) really does wonders for your appearance.

Didn't mean to make it sound like he doesn't know a thing or two, I was knocking his writing style more or less. I will never support the use of blatant over-the-top scare tactics when it comes to balanced nutrition, which as Waldo pointed out is what happens to a significant portion of his followers.

For you, as an individual, regardless of who or what you get your information from, you have to do your thing; I agree with that. Using a carb lowered methodology? That's fine with me. Stopped eating carbs because an internet guru screamed at you until he was blue in the face that carbs are literally hitler? Doesn't fly.

Gotcha. I see where you are coming from. 

aj_rock, on 16 Apr 2013 - 11:53, said:

He has to be one of the primary sources of carb fearmongering. Atkins/sugar busters/south beach are now long gone into the past and shouldn't be impacting pop fitness culture much anymore.

Sisson and Taubes seem to be the two main sources of anti-carb vile.

I mean, look at how Lyle McD treats carbs. Hell he wrote a major low carb diet book for BBers and does recommend low carbing for some applications, yet there is no vile or ill will toward carbs. He advises people against low carbing for the most part as it is not ideal for most people's goals.

It is flat out fact that most people will see their athletic performance tied to their carb intake, the more carbs you eat, the longer and harder you can go. Low carbing is pretty much a recipe for pitiful performance. Especially with glycogen torching work like HIIT/sprinting or high/moderate rep resistance training. When you are out of breath and/or your muscles are burning, your body is burning up carbs at a high rate.

You you do have to credit Sisson a bit, as he helping to move the conversation towards body composition as opposed to a strict weight based frame of reference. Even though there is a tendency to add the whole healthiness spiel to it, and right now there is absolute mass confusion between the intermingling of healthiness and body composition (ex, eat healthy food to achieve ideal body composition is IMHO a purely nonsensical statement, though it sounds good).

Glad your knee is doing better!! And I'm sure it feels wonderful to be working out again :)

Thanks.

Its not a big deal though. Had to learn to live with it. I've had an achy left knee since before I even started to lose weight more than 18 months ago. But I do have a good idea why it gets sore, and I always hope the the more I learn about it the closer I come to getting rid of it. I've pretty much figured out that the tendons are sore from tight quad muscles, and know which muscle to loosen up depending on which tendon is sore.

Yesterday though I got the tight muscles without the sore tendons, which is a step forward, even if only temporary.

I don't dislike Sisson. I've read quite a lot of his stuff, and I'd say my overall impression of him is fairly favorable, but I feel like he pushes his products too much, which makes him come across as a bit of a snake oil salesman. Now, I don't think he actually is, and I think his advice is generally good, but the fact that he pushes "natural and unprocessed" so hard, and then turns around and sells protein shakes and supplements seems a bit disingenuous.

All of that said, I don't think he's quite as anti-carb as you guys are saying. He's definitely advocates a (relatively) low carb diet, and absolutely hates grains. But he seems okay with carbs in some cases and from good sources.

I personally haven't figured it out. But, I imagine there has to be a reason we all crave carbs so much. I also haven't cemented my opinion on grains yet. But, if you don't have a problem, then why try to fix it? If you're reaching your goals on a diet of 100% Wonderbread, and you're healthy, then I don't think you should change things just because someone tells you it's bad.

It is flat out fact that most people will see their athletic performance tied to their carb intake, the more carbs you eat, the longer and harder you can go. Low carbing is pretty much a recipe for pitiful performance. Especially with glycogen torching work like HIIT/sprinting or high/moderate rep resistance training. When you are out of breath and/or your muscles are burning, your body is burning up carbs at a high rate.

Not just that, but if you push those exercises too hard and your body starts bonking on you, THAT is the point that the body starts metabolizing protein at a significant rate. Your body will literally start starving for sugar. It's one of the main reasons that you commonly hear trainers say to ingest carbs:protein in 2:1 after a workout. The carb intake is extremely protein sparing (aka prevent protein metabolism).

As for Sisson, that link that Waldo gave shows a pretty low carb count that he recommends. He even called fruit bad. 

I haven't read too much into his products, but, as is common in this industry, someone's offering him a lot of money to push specific products. It always happens. 

Re: grains. If you aren't gluten intolerant or something similar, grains are not gonna kill you. It's really as simple as that. They aren't the nutrient wasteland that a lot of people think anymore as well (most breads and pastas are enriched nowadays), and a lot of the haters really seem to grasp for straws in their arguments.