• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Waldo

Waldo Challenge 9.0

That's awesome! I just see a big blank space where whatever-that-is is, but congrats on the Level up bro :)

Damn.  Are youtube videos not working again?

I also got a video of some tough pistol variations, side pistols and 2 hands behind the back pistols.

http://youtu.be/f6XmJh4pvUU

I took a video of skater squats too, but I'm not going to goof around with that one tonight.

With the side pistol, it completes the circle.  I can do my warmup kick circuit with one legged squat variations each step.  Front kick -> regular pistol, side kick -> side pistol, back kick -> warrior squat.  Going side to side with these would make for one hell of a flow workout, but I can't really do side pistols with my left yet.

Workout Log - 4/18

Leg Day B

Run 1/4 mile @ 6.0 mph

Lunge Matrix x5

Kick Circuit x5

BW RDL - 10 reps

BW Squat - 10 reps

BW Pistol - 3e++/3e++ reps

BW Full ROM Skater Squat - 5x+/5x++, 5x+/5e++, 4y++/4e++, 4y++/4e++ reps

Assisted Glute Ham Raise - 5e, 5x, 5x reps

Unassisted Glute Ham Raise - 5z- reps

Dragon Flag - 5x+, 5x+ reps

Run 1/4 mile @ 6.0 mph

- I'm going to change my grading system for skater squats, - = toe tap, + no toe tap, but rear knee shifts forward, effective next workout.

- Woot for the unassisted GHR's above.

Great to see some videos! Wicked balance you got on those pistols :o

Double woot for those GHRs!! One for doing unassisted reps and one for being crafty enough to "build" a GHD like that :)

Those things are crazy hard, seen lotss of fit people who couldn't do them at all.

Congrats on the GHR!! And those pistol variations, they look hard(er). I end up doing unintentional side chair pistols all the time, mostly because I tend to tip towards the side of my working leg and have to stick my non-working leg out to avoid crashing to the floor. I have a feeling that's not quite the same thing, though.....  :)

So GHR - perfect form would be a straight line from knees to shoulders, yes?

In your expert opinion, would it be better to do slower negatives with hips bent or work on perfect form?  I'm taking about 3 seconds to go down, and using a pushup assist to get back up, but I'm pretty sure I could do the negative portion slower if I let my hips break a little.

So GHR - perfect form would be a straight line from knees to shoulders, yes?

In your expert opinion, would it be better to do slower negatives with hips bent or work on perfect form?  I'm taking about 3 seconds to go down, and using a pushup assist to get back up, but I'm pretty sure I could do the negative portion slower if I let my hips break a little.

Close.  I think that its impossible to do it perfectly straight.  As little break as possible is ideal, but there has to be some.  Kinda like a hollow hold.

Don't focus too much on the negatives.  You are much better off putting higher effort into the positive portion, taking it a little easy on the negative portion.  Negatives are really rough on you physically.  Unless I'm testing my limits, rarely do I go all out on the negative, however I do try to give as little assist as possible to get back up.

Thanks all for the feedback.  I'll keep making videos as much as I can.

Speaking of which....tried to make a video of me doing a back lever.  Seemed like a great idea, had my video camera (phone) mounted right in front of me at face level.  Unfortunately all it amounted to is a shot of my extremely red face making 1RM faces, with two arms behind it going off at a funky angle.  Couldn't see any of my body so it turned out pretty lame.  Ah well.

Bad, bad news today.  Apparently the school down the street is going to be rebuilding the playground; they have torn out my outdoor pullup bar.  Noooooooooooooooooooo. 

Workout Log - 4/19

Static Upper Body

Standard Warmup, Mobility, and Cooldown.

Handstand Wall Walks - 36 reps

Planche Lean - 20 sec

Tuck Planche - 5, 7, 5, 6, 3 sec (26 sec total)

Middle Split Hold - 6, 6, 3c3, 6 sec

Tuck Front Lever - 30 sec

Advanced Tuck Front Lever - 15, 10, 15 sec

Advanced Tuck Back Lever - 30 sec

Half Lay Back Lever - 12, 12 sec

Back Lever - 6 sec

Goofed around with L-sit Russian Dips and L-sit bottoms up bar dips on my parallettes for 5 minutes

- I was afraid that I was going to lose a bit off this workout with the time off.  Not so.  Slow and steady progress. 

- Felt some signs of bicep tendonitis.  Dammit, was hoping the week off would get rid of it.  I did one partial ROM unassisted one arm chin negative with each arm yesterday, that was surely the reason.  One arm chins are not an exercise to be taken lightly.

LOVE those vids, high-five and congrats on the GHR!

It's really great to see your form on stuff, especially pistols. You lean forward way more than I expected! Noticing too that your heel comes up a bit during pistols. Have you tried making your heels take the brunt of your weight? It might make balance easier.

Also, should one aim for keeping the elevated leg dead-straight?

My heel only comes up on the hands behind the back pistol.  I'm pretty sure it doesn't when I do them with shoes.  A mobility issue, hands behind the back requires a big angle at the ankle plus a lot of lean forward.  My ankles are pretty mobile, I'm at that fringe of being able to put my heels on the floor in down dog (from up dog, no walking in closer), but a hands behind the back pistol pushes my limits.

It is not normal for my heel to pop up during pistols.  I'll have to take a video of what I consider ++ standard BW pistol form some time to show what I consider perfect pistol form.  There are some real minor issues with my left leg (my held up leg drops below parallel for a little bit coming out of the hole), but my right does them as perfect as I know how.

So the phenomenon is back.  Cutting = running faster.

I truly am baffled as to why this is, and why the difference is so dramatic.  Running just feels easier when I'm cutting, making it possible to run a good bit faster.  I've never heard of this phenomenon before, yet here it is again for me.

Workout Log - 4/20

Run 5 miles in 52:49.15

- Wow.

- I haven't run under 56:00 since 1/5, the first week of my bulk, and under 54:00 since before Christmas, last time I was cutting.

- The whole bulk, aside from that run the first week, I was running in the 56:00-58:00 area.

- I wasn't even especially trying to run fast

Do you usually notice this phenomenon kicking in pretty quickly when you switch to cutting? I'm guessing yes, since you've been cutting for what, a week?

I'm asking because over the last maybe week and a half or so I think I've been consistently eating as if I were cutting and recently had a really surprisingly fast run (though maybe I'm misunderstanding and there's much more to cutting than a calorie deficit?). My run wasn't as long as yours, but long for me, and it didn't feel fast at all at the time. Mostly just a curiosity for me, but it might explain the fast run, I'll have to pay more attention from now on.

So the phenomenon is back.  Cutting = running faster.

I truly am baffled as to why this is, and why the difference is so dramatic.  Running just feels easier when I'm cutting, making it possible to run a good bit faster.  I've never heard of this phenomenon before, yet here it is again for me.

Workout Log - 4/20

Run 5 miles in 52:49.15

- Wow.

- I haven't run under 56:00 since 1/5, the first week of my bulk, and under 54:00 since before Christmas, last time I was cutting.

- The whole bulk, aside from that run the first week, I was running in the 56:00-58:00 area.

- I wasn't even especially trying to run fast

That's really really interesting. I love reading your thread cause I always learn a lot of really interesting things. I'm also in awe of how well you know your body and all the little things that you pick up on because of all the tracking you do. Its amazing :)

This might sound really silly... but you know that effect when you're fasting (or just skipped breakfast) that your head/focus is much clearer? I always use this when I have a test... anyway, maybe the faster running comes from the same source? 

Well, at 200 pounds, losing 5 lbs would mean a net mass loss of 2.5%, more than enough to make an impact on ease of locomotion.

It's weird yeah because most of it is water, but I've seen the same thing, especially in the vertical jump; I add an extra inch between day 1 and day 8 of a cut.

Bad, bad news today.  Apparently the school down the street is going to be rebuilding the playground; they have torn out my outdoor pullup bar.  Noooooooooooooooooooo. 

Do you have a yard? Because if so, sounds like time for a building project! Pull-up bar, parallel bars, rings... So many opportunities!

Do you usually notice this phenomenon kicking in pretty quickly when you switch to cutting? I'm guessing yes, since you've been cutting for what, a week?

I'm asking because over the last maybe week and a half or so I think I've been consistently eating as if I were cutting and recently had a really surprisingly fast run (though maybe I'm misunderstanding and there's much more to cutting than a calorie deficit?). My run wasn't as long as yours, but long for me, and it didn't feel fast at all at the time. Mostly just a curiosity for me, but it might explain the fast run, I'll have to pay more attention from now on.

Cutting and losing weight are fundamentally the same thing.  I actually made a post about it the other day on my eventually to be unveiled blog/site.  Physically they are the same, psychologically they are very different.

But yes, it comes on almost immediately, and at least last time I continued to get faster and faster and faster as the cut went on, as soon as I switched to bulking, my times fell off a cliff.

That's really really interesting. I love reading your thread cause I always learn a lot of really interesting things. I'm also in awe of how well you know your body and all the little things that you pick up on because of all the tracking you do. Its amazing :)

Thanks!

You need to use those speedy legs of yours to find a new outdoor pull-up bar.  Any prospects?

Yep.  Yesterday we had kiddo at another nearby park we don't go to much, I was scoping the situation for feasibility.  There is a bunch of lower stuff that will work for bar dips, the intermediate bars, suitable for jump muscle ups, are a little lower, thus not quite as good, but at least will work.  I'll have to use a swingset though for a high bar, and its actually higher than the old one.  I can jump up on it just fine though, and I gave it a try with a chest to bar pull.  Bar is wider though, which will make things a bit harder, but make the false grip way easier.  It'll do.  But things are a bit spread out, as opposed to right next to each other.  Monkey bars aren't as long, bummer.  Bent arm monkey bar climbing (whatever it is called) is an awesome exercise IMHO.

This might sound really silly... but you know that effect when you're fasting (or just skipped breakfast) that your head/focus is much clearer? I always use this when I have a test... anyway, maybe the faster running comes from the same source? 

Could be.  The calorie deficit definitely plays a role.  It isn't so much that focus is better, running is just easier.

Well, at 200 pounds, losing 5 lbs would mean a net mass loss of 2.5%, more than enough to make an impact on ease of locomotion.

It's weird yeah because most of it is water, but I've seen the same thing, especially in the vertical jump; I add an extra inch between day 1 and day 8 of a cut.

One would expect there to be some difference, but that dramatic?  I was this weight in early Feb when bulking, yet running nowhere near this fast.

Do you have a yard? Because if so, sounds like time for a building project! Pull-up bar, parallel bars, rings... So many opportunities!

I do.  However next year at this time we will likely be looking to move to a bigger, better house, so a building project of that sort is probably best saved for after we move.  I totally plan on building an awesome outdoor workout area at our next place.  Been thinking a lot about it, something for both me at the kid(s?).  Want to make him a climbing wall as part of it, plus a climbing rope/rope swing.