• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

catspaw

Catspaw's Lithe like a Leopardess Challenge

white_leopard.jpg

Now that I'm slimming down for the summer, raw strength is becoming less of a priority, though there is ample room still for ferocity in the gym. I'm pulling inspiration this challenge from the leopard: lithe but powerful. Leopards are lean, agile, supple and fierce, and it is the search for these attributes which brings me back to the assassin's den this challenge. I'm looking forward to hunting with you.

1) Leopards are lean

Good start on my cut last challenge after a fun bulk in the winter. It's only gonna get trickier, but I feel like I'm getting a good handle on it, and so I want to keep it up for one more challenge.

Goal: Lose 7 cm (2.5 inches) total from Navel + Hips + Thigh measurement.

This might be too ambitious, but I like to set my sights high. For reference, this is what I lost last challenge, but these things get harder the longer you do them.

2) Leopards are agile

Incorporate gymnastic work before my strength workouts. In particular, I want to work on:

• Handstand progression
  • L-sit progression
  • PB static holds

I'm hoping to see progress in the static holds translate into form improvement for some of my other lifts, like pull-up progressions and dips.

3) Leopards are supple

Mobility work after every workout. In particular:

• Lacrosse ball rolling
  • Work on anterior pelvic tilt
  • Work on breathing pattern w/ trunk stability

More on these in detail next post.

4) Leopards are fierce

I have three things lined up to do during this 6 week challenge that require a touch of bravery:

• Cut my long hair short; summer pixie cut
  • Wear a revealing costume for Bay to Breakers in May
  • Send a few book chapters to some friends

What about lifting heavy things? What about paleo?

As always, I'll be lifting heavy things and posting workout logs, and eating a modified paleo. I'm definitely at a point now where these things are just "life", and no longer really challenges. Though I think I feel an upcoming rant coming about my paleoness and how my definition of what I put into my mouth has been evolving in the past few months.

Anyway, my point is, it's a good place to be. :)

Sounds like you're about at the point I am. The lifting heavy and paleo eating are just kind of there, so I've been trying to figure out what other goals to focus on this time! And I feel you on measurements, it gets frustrating because I know there is progress, but it's not a measurable thing anymore, at least not what it used to be!! I know this go I'll be adding some gymnastics and flexibility/mobility training into my goals as well. Yay for pixie cuts! I got my chopped short last summer, and I loved it! i'm in the tedious process of growing it out now because I miss having long hair!!! I'm sure in another year or two I'll chop it all off again! It's a vicious cycle! 

Woo short hair. I'm growing mine out because Viking men had collar/shoulder length hair; short hair was for slaves and is therefore inappropriate for my social class. Not that we're paying attention to social class for Odin's costuming -- we've decided that Odin likes grey and blue and tells his wife he wants his cloak to be grey and Frigg is all like, "honey, grey is for peasants" and Odin is like, "Grey!" So she makes him a grey cloak but puts gold trim on it because he's the All-Father and we must have some standards here.

Er, anyway, I hate growing out my hair; it's in my way and is too short to put up. :)

Lift on!

Nice, Catspaw is back with the Assassins for this challenge.

You've already got the abs goin' on, you lose that many inches and you're going to put me to shame.  1.5"-2" is about all I think I can muster in 6 weeks, and I'm not even sure about that, as I would start bumping into the limitations of the tape measure as a bodyfat measuring device.  6-7 lbs for me is what I'm aiming for. 

I know this go I'll be adding some gymnastics and flexibility/mobility training into my goals as well.

Yeah I figure getting the gymnastics/mobility stuff in while I'm eating at a deficit is a good idea, since every time I put up "cut + strength" goals I (not surprisingly) miss on the strength ones.

Woo short hair. I'm growing mine out because Viking men had collar/shoulder length hair; short hair was for slaves and is therefore inappropriate for my social class. Not that we're paying attention to social class for Odin's costuming -- we've decided that Odin likes grey and blue and tells his wife he wants his cloak to be grey and Frigg is all like, "honey, grey is for peasants" and Odin is like, "Grey!" So she makes him a grey cloak but puts gold trim on it because he's the All-Father and we must have some standards here.

Er, anyway, I hate growing out my hair; it's in my way and is too short to put up. :)

Lift on!

OMG weirdquark!! 

You're not making the decision to cut it short any less scary! ;)

Glad to see you back with the Assassins again! We have some similar goals, so I'll be stopping by often to see how your progress is coming. :)

We do indeed!  Yay, someone to walk alongside!

Nice, Catspaw is back with the Assassins for this challenge.

You've already got the abs goin' on, you lose that many inches and you're going to put me to shame.  1.5"-2" is about all I think I can muster in 6 weeks, and I'm not even sure about that, as I would start bumping into the limitations of the tape measure as a bodyfat measuring device.  6-7 lbs for me is what I'm aiming for.

That's funny Waldo, my 2.75" waist+hips+thigh loss last challenge was faaaar less than 6-7 pounds.  Maybe more like 2-3, but hard to tell with all my female water weight noise. 

Love the leopard! :encouragement:

Thanks! 

I've realized I miss a lot of my NF friends cuz I go nowhere but the warrior board.  Posting so it shows up in my content feed.

HI COREY'S CONTENT FEED.

It's funny, I only read content on NF by using the "new threads" page, so I never even notice who is in what class. 

YES. LEOPARDS. <3

RITE?!?1

*quietly subs*

*quietly waves*

Cool goals, I like the theme! Next time I'm going to have to come up with some clever like that... Maybe "Zany like the Aardvark?"

Anywho, I'm curious what you mean by handstand progression? Are you trying to increase hold time, or are you working towards freestanding? I'd like to work towards freestanding myself, but my current method of "practice" seems to be falling down and making a lot of noise.

Anywho, I'm curious what you mean by handstand progression? Are you trying to increase hold time, or are you working towards freestanding? I'd like to work towards freestanding myself, but my current method of "practice" seems to be falling down and making a lot of noise.

Oh, I'm still a total newb.  Right now I'm just learning how to do wall-walks.  Once I can bang out a few reps of those pretty easily, I'll start practicing holding the wall-assisted handstand itself for a reasonable duration of time.  Next up would be toes-and-nose wall handstands.  Then gradually try to get some freestanding air time.

Oh, I'm still a total newb.  Right now I'm just learning how to do wall-walks.  Once I can bang out a few reps of those pretty easily, I'll start practicing holding the wall-assisted handstand itself for a reasonable duration of time.  Next up would be toes-and-nose wall handstands.  Then gradually try to get some freestanding air time.

I just looked up the wall walks, sound interesting! I just skipped right holding a wall-assisted handstand (and then just recently got to doing wall-assisted handstand pushups). I wonder if the wall walks would have help me with the balance...

catspaw, on 12 Apr 2013 - 13:50, said:

That's funny Waldo, my 2.75" waist+hips+thigh loss last challenge was faaaar less than 6-7 pounds. Maybe more like 2-3, but hard to tell with all my female water weight noise.

Surface area plays a huge role. I probably will lose next to nothing on my hips/thigh (at least I hope not), but I need to lose about 3-4 lbs per every inch in the waist.

Crazy though thinking about how big the changes from just a few pounds can be. Lean and getting leaner is so different in that regards. It still is pretty much in the logical side of my mind only that I'm only 5-6 lbs away from single digit body fat. My emotional side still looks at it like I did when I was a lot bigger, like its a log way off, so far to be obscured by the fog. To my emotional side I'm still 20+ lbs away from where I want to be.

OMG weirdquark!! 

You're not making the decision to cut it short any less scary! ;)

Hahaha-- before I started growing out my hair for character/costuming goals (which is usually why I change my hairstyle) I bought a pair of clippers and have been buzzing it to an inch on top (shorter in the back) every couple of months for about a year and I've been loving it. My hair is apparently thick/light enough that it stands straight up at that length and doesn't start falling over until it gets close to two so it's fun and kind of punk with no effort whatsoever.

Basically I've discovered I like extremes -- super short or super long. It's the in between stages that drive me crazy and since by "super long" I mean "to my butt" the in between stages last a really long time. The length that it is on the Sassafrass website (I'm the one in the blue tunic) is how long it was before I buzzed it and while I had been thinking of cutting it for a while that's about where I think my hair is kind of getting to be an okay length again.

When I was learning how to do handstands I put a box between my hands and next to the wall that was slightly shorter than the distance between the top of my head and my hands so I could rest my head on the box, put my hands down and then kick up into a handstand with my weight supported on my head while leaning slightly on the wall. Then I'd press up a tiny bit to take the weight just on my arms. Once I could consistently hold that for about a minute I started trying doing them without the box. Worked pretty well.

Is there something about wall walks that makes them especially helpful or it is just a way to get yourself upside-down in a controlled sort of way?

Mobility work after every workout. In particular:

• Lacrosse ball rolling
  • Work on anterior pelvic tilt
  • Work on breathing pattern w/ trunk stability
More on these in detail next post.

I wanted to post a little bit more detail about this, so here we go...

1) LaX ball after every workout:

- 5 minutes to relevant muscles from that workout

I'm still figuring out how to use this properly, but every so often I get reeeeally into my glutes after leg day, or reeeeeeally into my shoulder after shoulder day and it's like "omg I could weep with joyous pain".

2) Anterior pelvic tilt (after every leg workout):

Already working on strengthening posterior chain, but the work I really need to focus on in tandem is stretching.

• Stretch Iliacus
  • Stretch Rectus Femoris
  • Stretch TFL

Sources: [1] [2] [3]

I also want to practice walking without anterior pelvic tilt.  I can shift my pelvis while standing, but would like to get better at doing so while in motion too.

3) Breathing pattern with trunk stability (after upper body workouts):

There's no particular advantage to doing this after upper body workouts, but it just balances the scheduling out with the anterior pelvic tilt work on lower body days.

Specifically, I want to work on 90/90 hip lift with balloon (

).  Sources: [1] [2].

As soon as you said leopard, I immediately scrolled down to find the word supple, then read the rest.

I really, really like this challenge for you. Excited as usual! :)

By the way, look at what I found on my ass when I got home from the gym today.

%25252Fstorage%25252Femulated%25252F0%25

EmCee, I don't think it's fair to blame you without a fair trial by a jury of your peers ..... but I totally blame you.