Wall climbs

1/1/1

PB Support holds

(30 sec on / 30 sec off) x 4

DB military press

(2 x 25) x 10

(2 x 25) x 10

(2 x 25) x 10

1-arm upright row (ELECT reps + no rest btw sets)

15 x 3

17.5 x 3

20 x 3

22.5 x 3

Dips (w/ shitband assistance)

6 / 4 / 3

Cable leaning lateral raise

10 x 8

10 x 8

DB bicep curl

20 x 8

20 x 8

90-90 hip lift with balloon

4 cycles

LaX ball

5 minutes

I know it's early into the challenge to be having trouble, but I didn't really break between challenges.

I'm craving sweets today like NOBODY'S BUSINESS.  My period's due in 2 days, and that no doubt is contributing, but I twice now started putting on my shoes to go out and buy a treat and then reminded myself not to and took my shoes off again.

I have a big lump of carbs planned on Wed, so I'll be indulging then, but I thought it'd be worth mentioning that it's not all easy and  habits and "whatever" with me.  It's still a lot of psychological work sometimes.  Especially with female hormones in the mix. :P

I know it's early into the challenge to be having trouble, but I didn't really break between challenges.

I'm craving sweets today like NOBODY'S BUSINESS.  My period's due in 2 days, and that no doubt is contributing, but I twice now started putting on my shoes to go out and buy a treat and then reminded myself not to and took my shoes off again.

I have a big lump of carbs planned on Wed, so I'll be indulging then, but I thought it'd be worth mentioning that it's not all easy and  habits and "whatever" with me.  It's still a lot of psychological work sometimes.  Especially with female hormones in the mix. :tongue:

Yay, I'm not alone! We got this. <3

Yeah, female hormones are evil. I always plan some extra dark chocolate around that time, or I'll go a little crazy and end up with all the sugar ever. You can defeat the cravings! You are smarter than your uterus!

I have a big lump of carbs planned on Wed, so I'll be indulging then, but I thought it'd be worth mentioning that it's not all easy and  habits and "whatever" with me.  It's still a lot of psychological work sometimes.  Especially with female hormones in the mix. :tongue:

Shark week is ALSO impending here. We're going to have a fun week together!

Yesterday I spent the day volunteering at Sunday Streets, a sort of San Francisco street fair.

Anyway, I was wearing the volunteer t-shirt all day, and ended up getting a stupid-looking farmer's burn that I posted on bigm's challenge earlier today:

farmer_burn_buddies.png

Goddamn it... now I feel the need to go sunscreen that area and then burn the rest of my arm, to even it out. :P

Props too you! If you can stave off the women-craving-issues, then I can fight and exercise through a man-cold ... not equivocating... just saying that you're awesome for fighting the craving and I should easily be able to deal with my little problems.

Congrats on the shoes/treats victory! Are you one of those people who can have a square of dark chocolate in dark times like those..? I actually like coconut butter if I have sweet cravings (I melt it into ice cube mould and then store the cubes at room temperature for snacks). Recently got the Samovar beginner's guide to tea (LOVE that place) and have many delicious teas to also step in. 

Also kudos on wall walks, I'm only at wall holds :(

Ugh period cravings *big hug* totally with you on that one. I tend to overeat just because of nearing my period.

Good that you're keeping strong though!! You can do it!!

You are smarter than your uterus!

This will be my new motto in life :tongue:

Yay, I'm not alone! We got this. <3

Soap!

Yeah, female hormones are evil. I always plan some extra dark chocolate around that time, or I'll go a little crazy and end up with all the sugar ever. You can defeat the cravings! You are smarter than your uterus!

Yeah, I love dark chocolate. Specifically, I love eating a few Tbsp of high-quality unsweetened dutched cocoa powder with a spoon. Soooooo good.

Shark week is ALSO impending here. We're going to have a fun week together!

WOO! Go team shark week! 

Props too you! If you can stave off the women-craving-issues, then I can fight and exercise through a man-cold ... not equivocating... just saying that you're awesome for fighting the craving and I should easily be able to deal with my little problems.

Thanks FortBacon! Just a few days of "uuuuuuuuugh must eat everything..." My body lies! It lies!

Recently got the Samovar beginner's guide to tea (LOVE that place) and have many delicious teas to also step in.

Hah. I actually live literally across the street from one of the Samovars in the city.

What calorie/macro goals are you working with?

Daily average ~1500, but more on workout days than rest days.  Still fiddling a little to find the right balance between progress and teh hangries.  For example, how many refeeds should I have, and should I compensate for them during the week, and is that worth it without me being toooo hangry.  For the record, that 1500 cal average had me losing slightly under half a pound per week last challenge.

Goddamn TEF!  I hate you TEF! :tongue:

Ugh period cravings *big hug* totally with you on that one. I tend to overeat just because of nearing my period.

Good that you're keeping strong though!! You can do it!!

Today I'm gonna try to be a little bit stricter with myself.  And then in the future I'm gonna try to figure out a plan for how to be able to "relax" a little once a month by compensating at other times.

HAHAHA I literally laughed out loud to "You are smarter than your uterus!"

What's your BMR catspaw?

What's your BMR catspaw?

I think TEF (the thermic effect of food) makes so much noise that a lot of these "how much should you be eating" equations go out the window.

Two data points:

While bulking, if my caloric average is 2700, I gain about half a pound per week, meaning my bulking TDEE is about 2500.

While cutting, if my caloric average is 1500, I lose less than half a pound per week, meaning my cutting TDEE is about 1700.

So my maintenance TDEE would be somewhere in between those.

I think TEF (the thermic effect of food) makes so much noise that a lot of these "how much should you be eating" equations go out the window.

Two data points:

While bulking, if my caloric average is 2700, I gain about half a pound per week, meaning my bulking TDEE is about 2500.

While cutting, if my caloric average is 1500, I lose less than half a pound per week, meaning my cutting TDEE is about 1700.

Wow, no wonder you are hangry. That's such a huge swing!

*late to the party*

but didn't you wear a hot costume for bay to the breakers last year? like, showing abs? or something?

Hahaha -- lookit you all full of memory and stuff.  Yeah, last year I was an angel.

angel1.png

But I was in a big group of similarly-costumed folks.  This year I'm doing it solo.

Tue, Apr 16th - Workout Log

Relax and contract on pull-up bar

10 x 2

Tucked L-sit progression

Several 1-2 sec pulses.  These are definitely feeling stronger.

Deadlifts

150 x 5

170 x 3

190 x 5

150 x 10

Close-grip pulldowns

100 x 5

100 x 4

100 x 5

1-arm dumbbell row (ELECT reps + no rest btw sets)
22.5 x 3

25 x 3

27.5 x 3

30 x 3

DB Bench

(2 x 30) x 12

(2 x 30) x 10

(2 x 30) x 10

Stretches

Supine Iliacus stretch

Standing rectus femoris stretch

LaX ball

5 mins

Q: L-sit question!  I find my left knee drifts away from my right (towards the ground) once I push myself up into the tucked L-sit.  I assume this is a weakness somewhere but dunno what I should be working on to help keep my knees together.  Thoughts?

Q: Anyone have a good TFL stretch?  I've looked up a few but can't seem to feel it actually stretching when I do what they do.

TFL! I know those cuz I literally tweaked mine two days ago. A good one is to stand, cross the affected side leg over the other and lean away. Any exercise to stretch TFL is gonna involve some serious lean.

Thinking about your nutrition values... TEF is only supposed to be 10%!

... ok I just ran some numbers. This makes no sense. If I assume that you have a constant activity modifier for BMR (aka you dont change activity levels between bulking n cutting), your TEF becomes ridiculous, like 58%, and your TDEE without TEF is like 900...

But if I allow for changes in activity level, and keep TEF at 10% intake, your cutting activity modifier drops like a stone (1.4 to like 1.06). sumting ain't right.

Mind you, possible confounders include macro% make-up (the order of actual thermic effect has fat lowest, carbs mid, and protein the highest thermic effect), caloric mis-counting, and error in weight change/measurement, but nothing to explain why it requires an 800 calorie swing in intake to change weight gain vs loss by a pound. An 800 calorie swing should change rate of gain/loss by 1.5 (aka you should be gaining or losing .75 of a pound a week)

This makes no sense.

Yeah I dunno what's up.  My activity level is about the same, though I definitely do less fidgeting/getting-up/etc. during the day while cutting than bulking.

Higher percentage dietary fat while cutting.  (Protein (g) is slightly lower, fat (g) slightly lower, carbs way way down.)

Maybe there's a whoosh coming, but I've been doing this for well over 6 weeks now.

One other confounder is that I had low estrogen for most of my bulking process, and have since been put on estrogen (essentially, the pill).

I keep measuring / observing, and who knows what'll happen....

Two data points:

Its so odd that I notice the exact opposite. I see no measurable effect from TEF.

My maintenence calcs to about 2700-2800 pretty reliably, gaining or losing. This last bulk I gained at about 0.8 lb/wk at 3200 cal. Last cut I lost at about 0.8 lb/wk at 2300 cal. I think that there has been some upward drift of my metabolism and its closer to 2800 (as would be expected with muscle gain). This cut I'm cutting at 2200 cal and expect to lose in the 1.0-1.2 lb/wk area.

Note those are net values, I exercise on average about 800 cal/day, so my actual intake averages around 4000 cal/day bulking and 3000 cal/day cutting.

Q: L-sit question!  I find my left knee drifts away from my right (towards the ground) once I push myself up into the tucked L-sit.  I assume this is a weakness somewhere but dunno what I should be working on to help keep my knees together.  Thoughts?

Abs!

Well, not exactly, holding your legs up is the work of the flexors, which are usually grouped with the abs.

The flexors are resposible for all leg/knee lifting activity, legs together or apart.

L-sits in general are a great flexor exercise. Simply working the progression should be all you need. You could do hanging knee/leg lifts if you want some remedial work, most people find hanging to be easier on the arms/shoudlers than support.