• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

catspaw

Catspaw's Lithe like a Leopardess Challenge

Yeah I dunno what's up.  My activity level is about the same, though I definitely do less fidgeting/getting-up/etc. during the day while cutting than bulking.

Higher percentage dietary fat while cutting.  (Protein (g) is slightly lower, fat (g) slightly lower, carbs way way down.)

Maybe there's a whoosh coming, but I've been doing this for well over 6 weeks now.

One other confounder is that I had low estrogen for most of my bulking process, and have since been put on estrogen (essentially, the pill).

I keep measuring / observing, and who knows what'll happen....

got like a weight chart I might be able to take a gander at? this is gonna bother me now...

Four pages already? Yeesh.

Blahblahblahblah, goes the Catspaw thread.

Wait until I get my paleo rant on.

It's coming.  I can feel it.  And most paleo'ers aren't gonna like it...

Its so odd that I notice the exact opposite. I see no measurable effect from TEF.

I should also mention that it's REALLY hard for me to measure weight accurately, since I go up and down about 5 lbs within a single day, and between days, and within my monthly cycle.  The best I can do is measure multiple days in a row and take an average.

The flexors are resposible for all leg/knee lifting activity, legs together or apart.

L-sits in general are a great flexor exercise. Simply working the progression should be all you need. You could do hanging knee/leg lifts if you want some remedial work, most people find hanging to be easier on the arms/shoudlers than support.

Alright.  I'll just keep working on the L-sits themselves and see if my drifting-knee starts resolving itself.  Once I can keep up for 5-10 secs reliably, if my knee drift is still a problem, I can put some focus into keeping the knees together.

Women's bodies are so frustratingly weird when it comes to fat loss! I think the nice way of putting it is that we are "efficient."

Stupid lady bodies...

I ain't puttin' a baby in you!  Stop holding water and telling me I need carbs!

got like a weight chart I might be able to take a gander at? this is gonna bother me now...

Hmmm not immediately available but if I get a chance this weekend I'll pull together the numbers I have. 

Nice lookin workout today lady. :D

Thank you!  Today marked the end of another 5/3/1 cycle, and it's onto deeeeeeload week from Thurs til Thurs.

I should also mention that it's REALLY hard for me to measure weight accurately, since I go up and down about 5 lbs within a single day, and between days, and within my monthly cycle.  The best I can do is measure multiple days in a row and take an average.

I only look at average weight, and all my numbers/targets are based off of that 7 day average.  If I tried to work with the day-to-day values, I'd shoot myself in the face out of frustration.

How do you factor TEF into the equation?  I've never really considered it.

How do you factor TEF into the equation?  I've never really considered it.

I don't directly.  I set some caloric goal for myself, and then observe what happens, and eat more or less accordingly.

I don't directly.  I set some caloric goal for myself, and then observe what happens, and eat more or less accordingly.

Well then... that's what I do.  ;)  Thought I was missing something!

Deeeeeeload week makes for an antsy cat.

C'mon c'mon c'mon c'mon c'mon where's my liiiifting...

Actually, I feel like I could use the deload, which is a good sign of the right amount of effort put into a 5/3/1 cycle.  In general if the deload felt unnecessary, you weren't beating yourself up enough. :)

What I do for weighing is check in a few times a day. First thing in the AM, before I workout, and sometimes afterwards (if I remember), I keep track of the lowest value for the day. Interesting to watch how my body cycles through weight because it isn't on a 24 hour cycle, which weigh in is the lightest tends to vary. Though running a longer distance or sprinting makes the after workout a virtual lock to be the light weight.

Then I average those lowest values over 9 days; 4 forward 4 backward, to get my weight for the day.

Kind of an involved process, but it does smooth out almost all the fluctuation and weirdness.

Blahblahblahblah, goes the Catspaw thread.

Wait until I get my paleo rant on.

It's coming.  I can feel it.  And most paleo'ers aren't gonna like it...

I like the blahblahblah! :D

Oh, and if it has anything to do with the RIDICULOUS number of treats on paleo blogs or the infamous "paleo bread" book, yeah, a rant is needed. :)

*soaks up all the information* This is all really interesting :)

I weigh myself twice a day, morning and evening. It's been fun to see.

Today I threw Waldo's average method over the numbers, which really smoothed out the 2 lines in my graph. Fun!

Fabulous fabulous challenge.

Have a question and I thought you'd be the best person to ask. Do you have good shrimp recipes for someone who isn't crazy about shrimp? I bought some precooked frozen shrimp in the hopes that I would just force myself to eat it — but it's just been sitting there for a few months, and I don't want to leave my summer subletter with some random-ass bags of shrimp in the freezer.

Waldo: any reason you picked 9 days for the running average?

Well I started at 7 days, but just adding that extra day on each end resulted in a fairly significant amount of smoothing, so I opted for that instead.

Nice round numbers for nice round numbers sake isn't always the best option.

Fabulous fabulous challenge.

Have a question and I thought you'd be the best person to ask. Do you have good shrimp recipes for someone who isn't crazy about shrimp? I bought some precooked frozen shrimp in the hopes that I would just force myself to eat it — but it's just been sitting there for a few months, and I don't want to leave my summer subletter with some random-ass bags of shrimp in the freezer.

Hahaha you have a bunch of shrimp and don't like shrimp.  Hmmmm let's see.

If you eat rice, make some fried rice (recipe) and throw the shrimp in there.  If you don't, make cauliflower fried rice (recipe).

Another thing to try would be paleo egg foo yung (recipe) which requires some leftover protein, but definitely disguises the flavor of that protein.  Or perhaps zucchini vietnamese stir fry (recipe).

All of these have very bold flavors that really mask whatever protein their on top of, and lots of textures that will fill your mouth with non-shrimp texture.

Random fun data point!!  Who doesn't like data?!

I was comparing my measurements on my way up during my bulk, to my measurements on my way down and found some cool shift in weight distribution.

waist_to_hips.png

[see Notes*]

That's a pretty significant shift in waist-to-hips ratio, and you can see why I assumed I was gonna lose more off the hips than I actually did last challenge.

I'm almost entirely sure that this has to do with hormones (I was low on estrogen on the way up, "normal" on the way down), but other possibilities are that the bulk shifted my lean body mass weight distribution, or that for some reason the weight comes on and off in different areas first.

Interesting little bit of data, regardless.

(Notes*: This is just a snippet in time from each, not a representation of the whole bulk or whole cut.  Measurements in cm, also I normally use "navel" when reporting numbers on here, which is different from "waist", which I used in the above.)

An open letter to my arms.

IMG_20130417_080620.jpg

Dear my arm mus-kles,

I know you're under there.  I can feel you under there.

When I'm at the gym on bench or shoulder day, I can definitely see you under there.

And sometimes, if the light is just right, it's like this "oh shit" moment, and there you are.

But I'd love it if you came out to play during normal circumstances.

Here's the deal: I'll keep eating well and you keep lifting heavy things, and maybe we can get to know each other a little better.

Sincerely,

Catspaw

HAHA, great stuff going down here, Cats! I hope the letter to your arm muscles goes well, I've had a continuous letter to my chest-icles for some time now... I guessing no ones home or on vacation... You have some excellent paleo recipes floating around as well, which is totally kick-ass, so keep em coming, gurile!!

WOLF

An open letter to my arms.

Dear my arm mus-kles,

I know you're under there. I can feel you under there.

When I'm at the gym on bench or shoulder day, I can definitely see you under there.

And sometimes, if the light is just right, it's like this "oh shit" moment, and there you are.

But I'd love it if you came out to play during normal circumstances.

Here's the deal: I'll keep eating well and you keep lifting heavy things, and maybe we can get to know each other a little better.

Sincerely,

Catspaw

I love this. :)

Hahaha -- lookit you all full of memory and stuff.  Yeah, last year I was an angel.

angel1.png

But I was in a big group of similarly-costumed folks.  This year I'm doing it solo.

yes. this was it!

TFL! I know those cuz I literally tweaked mine two days ago. A good one is to stand, cross the affected side leg over the other and lean away. Any exercise to stretch TFL is gonna involve some serious lean.

i love this one.