Evenewbie is running but not hiding

I am Eve

Thank you! It's funny how sometimes it just happens-often when you least expect it. Yesterday I ran in Washington / Seattle area and that was wonderfully warm as well as beautiful! Here I am visiting relatives and it is great to see everyone again.

You are in my part of the world - how fun.  I live in northern California near the Oregon border.  I hope you enjoyed your trip across the country.  This is a beautiful time of year in the Pacific northwest.

VioletFlame (Margie), level 4 Wood elf druid
STR 8 | DEX 6 | STA 14.5 | CON 11.25 | WIS 9.75 | CHA 9

2013 Challenge #1  ~ #2  ~ #3 ~ #4 ~ #5

Current Challenge

You are in my part of the world - how fun.  I live in northern California near the Oregon border.  I hope you enjoyed your trip across the country.  This is a beautiful time of year in the Pacific northwest.

Yeah, crossing the country was tiring but awesome-and I looove the northwest. Biked 20 k's along lake Sammamish today, Basking in the sun and smelling the lilacs.

I have chosen to believe in myself.

Week three, late update due to having too much fun :-))

I'm sitting on the plane on my way home from three weeks of travelling. It's Saturday morning, and work starts again on Monday. Still a few more hours of vacation left, including a concert tonight.

I feel rested and my mind is refreshed, filled with inspiration and filled with love after having spent so much time with my partner uninterrupted.

Working on my challenge while travelling has been interesting and good for me; focussing on the routines themselves, aiming to became independent of environment and context.

Me-time

5 out of 5. This is continuing to be very interesting. Sometimes I do feel "egoistic" making choices primarily for myself but it is so evident that it is good for me.

This week we had a difficult task. My partner's child, who is currently living in the US, had a problem that we needed to help him with and it was very challenging and difficult. This made it particularly difficult to focus on me-time, and also made it particularly important - enabling me to recover and refocus.

I have done a pedicure (myself), made a point of resting when I felt tired during the day, slept late when I felt I needed to, read a book and taken mental breaks while we were on a long drive.

So simple and so hard.

Running

3 out of 3

I am happy about being consistent here, but my time per kilometer is very variable. Last week I had a new personal record, this week not so much ;-)

I guess it's part of it all, and am trying hard not to let it bother me, keeping in mind that I am building habits and health rather than chasing records.

The weather was very changing with temperatures between the eighties and the thirties

(and snow!)

Yoga

This week I only did three out of the four planned and the day I didn't do it I actually made a conscious choice. That particular day I had just arrived to our last part of the trip, visiting relatives, and I chose to continue having fun with them rather than going to a separate room for my workout.

Looking back I don't regret it at all although I felt a little bad at the time. It's all about me and my mental and physical health :-)

The yogapractice itself is continuing to improve both regarding focus and execution. I long though to see my teacher again as I feel that it is difficult to move forward on my own. I try to vary the mental and physical challenges but need some support in that area.

Sleep

7 out of 7

It will be interesting to see if my need for sleep increases as I go back to work, and I anticipate that it will. Right now seven hours is quite enough and I imagine that my increased me-time helps for recovery as well.

Still battling with weight and body-image issues. The fight will go on indefinitely I guess....

Time per km can be a tricky thing to get consistent because so many variable come into play. I find that I run much better at night but its something that I cant do that often. As a result my time/km can be 20 seconds slower if I run in the afternoon compared to the night. I have interestingly found that running on an empty stomach doesnt seem to have a negative effect on my times. After a bit of experimentation I came to the realisation that I should just accept that the fact I am running is a positive and not get too caught up on my pace.

1 Challenge completed.

Still battling with weight and body-image issues. The fight will go on indefinitely I guess....

i don't know if that battle ever ends.  it gets easier maybe. but everyone has their off days. i guess the important thing is to do those "me" things that make you feel good, important, and worth it.  the more i treat myself like i am ok, the easier it seems to keep the mental battle in check. i think it is impossible to complete b/c there is no realistic measure of completion. Does that make sense? Where is the achievement you can reach where your mind will say "enough". sigh - too much to think about while you are on vacation - so keep on relaxing. we can tackle mental issues on Monday???

Introspective Bookworm (Lvl 6)STR 8.5 | DEX 10 | STA 11 | CON 13 | WIS 15 | CHA 11Look, I... I may not be an explorer, or an adventurer, or a treasure-seeker, or a gunfighter, Mr. O'Connell, but I am proud of what I am. I... am a librarian. (Rachel Weiss, The Mummy)Intro/Current Challenge | Fitocracy | MFP 

Week three, late update due to having too much fun :-))

Glad you had a good trip, and finally got in to the nice weather!

Early conditioning is so hard to overcome! And, as a mom, it's so hard to keep your hang-ups from rubbing off! I try to keep comments on how much healthier and stronger I feel, but can't seem to stop looking at (and commenting on) the scale. 

Wandern
Wood Elf Druid
Level 10
STR 15 | DEX 19 | STA 18 | CON 16 | WIS 22 | CHA 20
Current Challenge: Focuses on Fitness 

Old Challenges 1110 9 876543, 2, 1

Time per km can be a tricky thing to get consistent because so many variable come into play. I find that I run much better at night but its something that I cant do that often. As a result my time/km can be 20 seconds slower if I run in the afternoon compared to the night. I have interestingly found that running on an empty stomach doesnt seem to have a negative effect on my times. After a bit of experimentation I came to the realisation that I should just accept that the fact I am running is a positive and not get too caught up on my pace.

Many good points!

On Sunday I should have run but was too tired. Woke up early on Monday and ran before work. It was fast and amazing. So, a double win- listening to my body and getting an instant reward....

the more i treat myself like i am ok, the easier it seems to keep the mental battle in check. i think it is impossible to complete b/c there is no realistic measure of completion. Does that make sense? Where is the achievement you can reach where your mind will say "enough". sigh - too much to think about while you are on vacation - so keep on relaxing. we can tackle mental issues on Monday???

Tackling mental issues on a Tuesday ;-)

Yes! Building new pathways for thoughts and changing patterns by making active choices. I believe in that. I also believe in recognizing that the emotions and impressions connected to body image, etc, can be false.

And, you're so right, there is no intuitive stopping point, no "enough". I listen to my voice of reason, and I block out everything else when I need to.

Glad you had a good trip, and finally got in to the nice weather!

Early conditioning is so hard to overcome! And, as a mom, it's so hard to keep your hang-ups from rubbing off! I try to keep comments on how much healthier and stronger I feel, but can't seem to stop looking at (and commenting on) the scale.

Yep, I know what you're talking about. I try to watch my tongue and vent mostly with my partner .....

Wow, reading through your progress, its impressive how you've stuck with things while traveling. The only thing I do when traveling is *think* about using the exercise room in the hotel while stuffing my face with biscuits and gravy at the breakfast buffet.

Body image, that's a tough one. I've got a note on my bathroom mirror that says, "I accept myself--unconditionally--RIGHT NOW." That is, I am just who I am, and I'm okay with that, even as I work towards my goals. Cheesy but it that does bolster my self image.

Keep it going!

Cave Dweller Druid, Level 4

STR: 5 | DEX: 5 | STA: 9 | CON: 10 | WIS: 6 | CHA: 8 Start:1/2/1/3/6/2

Ok, so I should be writing my delayed week four summary and here it is.

The numbers;

Yoga; 4/4

Sleeping; 5/7 (wacky sleep due to flying home)

Running; 2/3 (this week I paddled/kayaked on Lake Washington for 1,5 hours, I biked 20 kilometers at

Lake Sammamish and I hiked 2 hours up on Little Si by Mount Si - so I am not

disappointed in myself)

Me time; 5/5

The thoughts

A great week outdoors, Washington was sunny and luscious and we enjoyed ourselves in so many ways.

Kayaking was so much fun and a great arm workout. It was great to bike again since I do it daily at home,

and it was beautiful by Lake Sammamish. The hike was awesome and I wish we would have had time to go on Mount Si as well. Fantastic rainforest.

A great week with family, introducing them to my partner whom they hadn't met, and letting him get to know them. Lots of outings and meals together. Lots of laughs and time to look at geneology - I have little information on my ancestors and enjoy learning about them.

A challenging and learning week regarding me time. It's difficult to part from company and it's hard to

break up conversations even though I know so well I need time to rest and reflect and recover. I feel that this is growing in me and cherish the awareness I'm acquiring. I have read books, just laid on the bed restning and reflecting, gone to a concert.

An interesting week in regards to sleep. Most often I wake up spontaneously, and early. I feel rested. Then when I know I'll be travelling/starting work, etc I get nervous and have some difficulties. I try to stay relaxed.

A successful week with yoga. This week my ujayyi breathing has became more present and unstrained. There is so much energy and calm in the breath.

When I write this I've ben back for almost a week and I still feel the effects of three weeks away from work - my biggest energydrainer. It is time to do something about that.

So, week five update is coming but there is something I can't wait to share;

My running goal is

Minimum 3 times a week

Minimum 5 k's

6:15 per k at the end of challenge

Yesterday I ran 5 k's in 29 min 29 s

averaging 5:54 per kilometer!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yay me!!!

Ok , soon it's time for the final summary and so I guess this will be short and sweet.

Week 5

Yoga 4/4

Running 3/3

Sleep 6/7

Me - time 5/5

First week back after vacation, probably slightly jetlagged and woke up early (!) a few times. More tired later in the week and slept longer. I feel that I am getting more and more in sync with myself and my need for rest.

Running was great this week including a new amazing personal rekord of 5:54 per kilometer.

Yoga, getting deeper into the poses.

Me time this week centered around rest. I spent some wonderful hours in the garden. Rested in the sun in a deckchair.

So, short and sweet this time.

I am so impressed with how well you did while traveling!!! And that new 5:54 pace per kilometer personal record WOW!!! Go you!!!!

Looking forward to your final report!

Lusitanian Druid, Level 9
STR: 13 | DEX: 15 | STA: 17 | CON: 22 | WIS: 25 | CHA: 25

“We are what we repeatedly do; excellence, then, is not an act but a habit.†- Aristotle

Current Challenge: Living the Good Life II Past: 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th, 6th, 7th,  8th9th, 10th11th, 12th

Goal: 1001 Steps on the Road to a Home -> 18/348 in 2015 

5.27%
5.27%

Goal: loose 9KG in 2015 -> 1.5KG lost 

16.67%
16.67%

I am so impressed with how well you did while traveling!!! And that new 5:54 pace per kilometer personal record WOW!!! Go you!!!!

Looking forward to your final report!

Yay, you! Consistency certainly pays off! Wonderful progress.

Thank you! You know, coming here makes all the difference!

Identical posts here and in the report thread.

The time has come to summarize this challenge. It feels very symbolic that I am once again in an airport; in transit ( in more ways than one).

Next week will be hectic so I am aiming at finishing the summary today (Sunday). Then I will have time for planning the new challenge and some other important events next week (hopefully more about that later in June). I can say this much - one of my themes for this challenge was to use my new body, I will also try to put my new self to use.

Running but not hiding is what I wrote. Sometimes hiding feels sooooooo good. But no, I want to move forward, advance and develop. I have been running and through that and the other parts of the challenge I have met myself, and cared for myself.

The numbers and comments:

Yoga

22 times, each 45 minutes (A 24-21). During my travels I once divided two sessions in 10 minutes plus 80 minutes one week. On at least one occasion I have ended the session early, feeling done. I have gone deeper into my poses and deeper into my breathing. My mat travels with me and even more importantly, I need my yoga and feel disharmonic when I go without. An A.

Running

15 times, never shorter than 5 k's. ( B 17-15) 5:54 was my best time per kilometer! My goal was 6:15. I am amazed, I have to confess. Yes, I have been very stubborn and

the only week that has been really difficult has been this last week when I have been tired and prioritized other activities. But my improvement is surprising and delightful and I'm so proud. I award myself a B plus

Sleep

36 occasions fulfilling my goal. (B 36-34)

So, I changed the hours from 8 to 7 when I realized that I only needed 7. Then I went back to work, and needed more....This is a goal I will refine even more next challenge - finetuning my ability to listen to my needs. During this challenge I have misbehaved a little and thereby tested my limits, which was good I think. A good nights sleep is really essential for my quality of life during the day. There should be no compromises.

The grade is a B.

Me-time

32 times (A 30-25)

I guess this is the goal I was most excited to evaluate. In the beginning I had difficulties creating a list of things to do for me, now the situation is very different. I still have to focus, and sometimes I forget and get caught up but things have really changed. I think of things I want to do, look forward to them and plan ahead. My activities include everything from meditating to decrease anxiety levels to pedicures and gardening.

It has also become increasingly easy to just take a time out, sit in a chair in the sun, take a nap, etc

Focussing on me has, I think, increased my energy levels, and enables me to choose in a better way when I want to invest in others. I predict that this is only the beginning....

My grade is an A plus.

Weight

This time around it has not been a goal to lose weight, but to maintain and adjust to having other goals. It has been very very difficult, weightloss has been my goal for such a long time. I still weigh myself and it seems I am slowly losing weight and I try not to stress about it. My body is moving towards the weight that it "wants". My aim has been to put the body to use, make it stronger and faster. This also has included looking at myself in a different way, and in an approving way. Most days.

Travelling

Half of the time of this challenge I have been on the road and it has been very interesting. More and more I have disconnected my habits from the environment and connected them more to myself. Seeing possibilities instead of difficulties.

All in all I actually want to give myself an A, feeling very pleased regarding all four parts this challenge. I have gone further, deeper and become stronger and faster.

You are an inspiration! Look at how well you did even while traveling for half the challenge!!!

Your running pace improvement is truly impressive!

Sleep is a hard one to get right. I am still adjusting my target with that one and its been an ever present goal in my challenges. I suspect that what will work for me is to make it to bed at a time that is early enough and set the alarm for a time that allows me to sleep as long as possible and still get up in time to get myself and the girls ready in the morning. Then to hopefully wakeup naturally before the alarm. :) I look forward to seeing how you find your good sleep patterns.

Well done on moving from the weight loss focus to other goals. It is a scary time, sounds like you are doing great in that area and in allowing your body to move towards its natural weight. 

Me time... what can I say: AWESOME!

Lusitanian Druid, Level 9
STR: 13 | DEX: 15 | STA: 17 | CON: 22 | WIS: 25 | CHA: 25

“We are what we repeatedly do; excellence, then, is not an act but a habit.†- Aristotle

Current Challenge: Living the Good Life II Past: 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th, 6th, 7th,  8th9th, 10th11th, 12th

Goal: 1001 Steps on the Road to a Home -> 18/348 in 2015 

5.27%
5.27%

Goal: loose 9KG in 2015 -> 1.5KG lost 

16.67%
16.67%

Important Information

New here? Please check out our Privacy Policy and Community Guidelines