Essie vs. The World

Essie

Hello fellow Adventurers! This is my first challenge here on NF, and I am looking forward to this! I've never been much of a goals person before, so it will be interesting to see how I progress over a period of time pursuing SMART goals.

Goal 1 - Work out 4 times per week

Per my body and fitness goals, my goal is to work out 4 times per week following the schedule set up by my husband and I. Two bodyweight circuit workouts a week, and two powerlifting workouts a week. The specifics of the workouts will most likely change over the six week period, depending on what my husband (he is my trainer) decides to have me do. But right now the schedule I'm thinking of is Mondays and Wednesdays will be bodyweight circuit days, and Thursdays and Sundays will be powerlifting. I don't know what my stats are right now but I'll look and post later.

Graded week by week and averaged at the end:

4x per week - A

3x per week - B

2x per week - C

1x per week - F

Reward:

+3 STR, +2 STA

Goal 2 - Eat (lower calorie) clean with no cheating and drink enough water

I currently follow a Paleo/WAPF diet 95% of the time and am very strict about what I consume, but my one weakness is chocolate. I crave it so badly sometimes, but sugar in any form (honey, coconut sugar, etc) does a number on me. So I make my own chocolate using coconut oil, cocoa powder, stevia, and heavy cream which is delicious to help fight the cravings, but is so calorie dense that it often makes me eat too many calories. I eat a pretty high (healthy) fat diet (about 50-60% fat, 20-30% protein, and 10-20% carbohydrate), So it is very easy to go over my calorie limit because I don't eat a lot of food.

So my goal is to eat below my calorie limit (1600 calories per day) with only clean foods (no "real" chocolate cheating!) and use my homemade chocolate sparingly to fight chocolate cravings, in addition to drinking my (fairly normal) amount of 80 oz. water per day. I must meet all goals per day or it counts as a missed day (so if I eat below the calorie limit :) but indulge in chocolate :( it will count as a missed day).

Miss goal 4x or more per week - F

Miss goal 3x per week - D

Miss goal 2x per week - C

Miss goal 1x per week - B

Miss goal 0x per week - A

Reward:

+2 WIS, +2 CON

Goal 3 - Comfortably fit in bridesmaid dress on sister's wedding day

This goal is pretty dependent upon the two previous goals - only if I work out consistently and eat properly (and under calorie) will I lose the little 5 pounds I need to lose to fit into the dress I bought comfortably. The wedding is the first weekend in May, so it is before the end of the challenge, but I need to do this or I can't wear the dress! So it is essential! And it isn't a weight oriented goal, it is a body shape goal - I got the dress about a month ago and my weight has increased by about 5 pounds so I need to lose at least that for it to fit well (like it did when I bought it....). Because I'm short, 5 pounds shows up easy on my frame. While this is my goal, in reality I just want to lose my extra body fat and increase my muscle mass - so I don't have much of a "weight" goal.

Graded Pass/Fail

Fit in dress comfortably: A

Tight and uncomfortable: F

Reward:

+2 CON

Goal 4 - Spend less money, save more

I'm a spender... and I need to break the habit. So I will not be purchasing anything that is not a need - cold turkey! Everything I want to purchase will be approved by hubby as a need first (because I can talk myself into anything....). And I will be only going to grocery store once a week (I tend to go almost daily), and if we need to get anything from grocery store "last minute", hubby can get it because he doesn't impulse buy like I do at the grocery store. In addition to not shopping, I want to add $50 to our savings account each week that I succeed! Kind of like a reward - I don't shop, so we get to save!

No shopping at all per week - A

1 impulse buy per week - B

2 impulse buys per week - C

3+ impulse buys per week - F

Reward:

+3 WIS, +1 CHA

So, how do my goals look? Any tips on the grading/reward system? This is my first time, so I was trying to model it off some of you experienced folks. 

Level 1 Fae - Warrior at :love_heart:, training with the Adventurers

STR 1  |  DEX 1  |  STA 2  |  CON 4  |  WIS 5  |  CHA 3

First Challenge

Items: Fire Flower power up

Seems like you've got a good start so far :)  Nicely planned out and everything.  With food cravings, have you ever gone without the chocolate before?  For an extended period of time?

Anyway, I look forward to seeing the rest of your list.  Good luck!

Current Challenge: BlamedCat's Rebirth: From Porkins to Poe     Tracking via spreadsheet

"Be very careful, then, how you live - not as unwise but as wise, making the most of every opportunity, because the days are evil." (Ephesians 5:15&16)

BlamedCat,

Yes, I have gone long periods of time without any sweets indulgences at all - 6+ months last year without any cheating (at least), but over the past 6 weeks its like my sugar cravings suddenly returned with a vengeance! I don't know why but its so difficult to fight, and I've gone more than year now eating 95% of the time completely clean. Cravings have been gone for a loooong time, but suddenly returned for no real reason. Its frustrating because I have fought and won against the sugar/cravings monster, and now its like it never happened! But today is a new day - and the challenge starts today, so here we go!

First Challenge

Another thing that you could possibly do is eat SkinnyCow products instead of your homemade chocolate. They have some really good chocolate products that are also low in calories. You should be able to find them in your local grocery store, hopefully. Might be a good option to quell your occasional cravings while keeping you under your limit. Also, running things past your husband is a great idea. I do that with my wife because, like you, I can talk myself in to just about anything when there are more important things that we actually need.

Lv. 4 Mandalorian Sith Ranger

STR: 11/DEX: 3/CON: 8/STA: 13/WIS: 12/CHA: 4.5

(I): Fire Flower, Nifty Birthday Party Hat, Raccoon Suit of Creativity

Challenge_1, 23, Current

"Without strife, your victory has no meaning. Without strife, you do not advance. Without strife, there is only stagnation."

http://newportmissions.blogspot.com/

Ok, so looking over my goals again after reading the first challegnge, I realize I do have some bundling of goals in one, but I think they go together pretty well. For the eating clean/no chocolate/water goal, I already eat clean 95% of the time, so continuing to do that isn't an additional goal. I also already drink between 60-80 oz of water per day, I just want to goal myself up to a full 80 per day. And so the real goal is the no chocolate cheating and stay under calories.

The other goal that is combined is the spending less, saving more one, but I think they go hand in hand so I won't change those.

First Challenge

On the cravings front, I think the body likes to go into odd cycles sometimes.  Maybe you're needing something in another area that's causing the sugar like cravings.  Ya know, kinda like when you're thirsty but sometimes your body registers that as hunger instead?

Regardless, great job on the goals and reviewing them.  I can't wait to see you dominate your challenge :D

Current Challenge: BlamedCat's Rebirth: From Porkins to Poe     Tracking via spreadsheet

"Be very careful, then, how you live - not as unwise but as wise, making the most of every opportunity, because the days are evil." (Ephesians 5:15&16)

Well.... it has been a horrible week. I found out early Monday morning that one of my dearest friends died in a tragic freak accident Sunday night and so both Monday and Tuesday were spent with my Bible study friends as we all tried to process together what happened and our grief. It is a group of 7 of us that have done life and Bible study/accountability together for the past 4 years, and it is mind numbing to think about losing one of us. Because of the topsy turvy nature of this week I decided to start the challenge Wednesday instead of Monday because my mind just couldn't handle one.more.thing. on top of everything. This week has been unreal. I am sooo done with it. If you pray, please say a little prayer for me, our group, and my friend's family. 

But now it is Thursday, and while grief is really beginning to set in, I realized yesterday I need something to help me relieve my stress. I told hubby I needed to just come home and lift heavy things to de-stress myself. But ended up not finding time to do so, because I needed to find every picture I have of my dear friend to put in the slideshow for her funeral, as well as get a bunch of seeds planted before the big storm flew in last night, on top of getting my resume updated for an unexpected meeting with my administration today. So tonight I will be lifting. My schedule I have set for myself above is just set to work around my husband's lifting schedule, so its flexible to meet my goals too.

Ugh. I am just so tired.

First Challenge

Well.... it has been a horrible week. I found out early Monday morning that one of my dearest friends died in a tragic freak accident Sunday night and so both Monday and Tuesday were spent with my Bible study friends as we all tried to process together what happened and our grief. It is a group of 7 of us that have done life and Bible study/accountability together for the past 4 years, and it is mind numbing to think about losing one of us. Because of the topsy turvy nature of this week I decided to start the challenge Wednesday instead of Monday because my mind just couldn't handle one.more.thing. on top of everything. This week has been unreal. I am sooo done with it. If you pray, please say a little prayer for me, our group, and my friend's family. 

But now it is Thursday, and while grief is really beginning to set in, I realized yesterday I need something to help me relieve my stress. I told hubby I needed to just come home and lift heavy things to de-stress myself. But ended up not finding time to do so, because I needed to find every picture I have of my dear friend to put in the slideshow for her funeral, as well as get a bunch of seeds planted before the big storm flew in last night, on top of getting my resume updated for an unexpected meeting with my administration today. So tonight I will be lifting. My schedule I have set for myself above is just set to work around my husband's lifting schedule, so its flexible to meet my goals too.

Ugh. I am just so tired.

Oh my, Essie.  My family and I will be praying for you and your group and your friend's family. God will see you through this, just take it as slow as you need.  The challenges will be here when you are able to focus and until then, make sure to heal.  We're here for you.

Get the rest you need (tell your body you need the rest too) and take it a day at a time.  I'm proud of you for modifying things and rolling with the punches as best as you can.  Remember, you know your friend is with Jesus and that's cause for celebration, even through the pain of loss.

If there's anything you need, let us know.

Thank you, BlamedCat, for your family's prayers. I'm trying to just stay busy (not hard to do, with a million things on my plate this week!) and remember that not only is God sovereign and knew her days from before there was one, but her life and death is an incredible witness that will bring the Lord glory and hopefully, many to His side.

I came home and decided to max out on squat, deadlift, and bench, so I have a starting point for the challenge. I'm not great at keeping track of anything other than writing what my current work weight is. So my 1RM today is:

Squat: 155

Deadlift: 165

Bench: 70

Hubby taught me the power clean last week and I am really struggling to learn the movement. I have watched a zillion videos but I can't seem to get the movement right. It is very frustrating, particularly because I can't pinpoint why I can't get my body to do what I am telling it to do. Right now I'm just using the bar until I can get the movement right. I also did front squats and bench with just the bar to fail tonight.

In terms of eating and water goals for today, I've still got about 10 oz to drink tonight, and I ate clean and stayed under calories today (and no chocolate!). And no shopping today (although yesterday, hubby let me order a copy of The New Rules of Lifting for Women from Amazon so I am super pumped to get that soon!).

Anyone have tips on the power clean? I can't get the shrug and the jump - I keep trying to lift the bar with my arms instead and don't know how to stop! Thanks.

First Challenge

Oh no Essie, I'm so sorry about what is happening!  I'll pray for you.

The fact that you have stayed on track is very admirable.  Make sure that you get adequate sleep, stress is so hard on your body, and grief will keep you awake.  It's always the last thing I think of, when I am dragging along the ground and can't figure out why I don't have the strength to do anything.

No idea what a power clean is, but I'll be starting to work towards getting my base weight, since the bodyweight seems easier now.

Try to have a restful evening....

Level 3 Pandaren Adventurer

“You’re braver than you believe, and stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think.†–A.A. Milne   (Thanks to magi192 for posting this!)

Essie-

I'm really sorry about the awful first week you're having. And I'm deeply sorry for your loss. I have no idea what a power clean is either, so I'm not sure I can be much help there. I wish you the best with everything you're going through. Deep breaths and don't overexert yourself physically or emotionally. It sounds like a very trying and tiring week. Hope things get better.

Looks like you're doing well, all things considered, ya know?

As far as the power clean, I'd suggest looking over in the Warrior forms and asking in there, they will certainly give you pointers (I've never done a power clean before).

I'm proud of you sweetheart. Thank you, everyone for the sweet words, thoughts, and prayers. 

Allons-y!

If deadlifts were easy they'd be called ellipticals.

If you can't fix it with fish oil and squats you're probably going to die. ~ Marshall White

TIME LORD, The Warrior, Level 3: STE: 12, DEX: 12, STA: 5; CON: 5.75, WIS: 9; CHA: 2

Be strong in the Lord and in the strength of his might. Ephesians 6.10

-           -      -   -  -  -  -  -  - - - - - - - -----------------------------------------------

I'm proud of you sweetheart. Thank you, everyone for the sweet words, thoughts, and prayers. 

We take this NF family seriously :)  Not to mention, speaking from my family, any brothers and sisters in Christ are family to us :)

Just checking in to see how your day went?

Hope things are a little better to handle.

“You’re braver than you believe, and stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think.†–A.A. Milne   (Thanks to magi192 for posting this!)

Tech_Hunter - Thank you for asking! It was an ok day mostly, but oy - last night was the visitation and this morning is the funeral. I am so glad I have our Bible study group to be with during this time - there is no way I could have done the visitation last night alone. 

As far as goals yesterday, I ate great and didn't cheat at all, drank all my water (and then some!), and didn't shop at all. I wasn't supposed to work out yesterday, but while I was at work I ended deciding to do my bodyweight circuit during lunch because I couldn't stand the thought of just sitting there at lunch, so that turned out good. Granted, I did it in jeans, a long sleeve shirt, and a regular bra instead of my regular yoga pants and sports bra, but que sera sera. My co-teacher was laughing at me but at the end she was like, "you need to teach me some stuff!" and showing off fb pictures of my weight loss to another teacher, lol :).

Today is a full day out with lots of bad food opportunities. Funeral in the morning, then lunch out with my friends, then graveside service, then a wake at my friend's parents' house, then our group of friends is having dinner at someone's house. I am about to go make some chicken to bring with me, and I have some leftover spaghetti squash and tomato sauce that I will bring to have for lunch and dinner, so I can make good food choices today. People have brought our group SO MUCH FOOD this week, so I feel guilty not eating it all, but I will just snack today on veggies, meats, and cheeses. Yesterday someone dropped off 2 dozen enchiladas and a bunch of bags of chips and salsa for us to have for dinner, and the emotional eating side of me totally came out and I had to leave quickly so I wouldn't have "just one". This week has been a test of my emotional eating struggles, for sure.

In other news, I've got DOMS like its going out of style from Thursday's  workout in my back, shoulders, arms, and legs. Good but annoying. 

I have to go cook chicken and put on lots of waterproof mascara now. 

First Challenge

We take this NF family seriously :)  Not to mention, speaking from my family, any brothers and sisters in Christ are family to us :)

That's right :)

First Challenge

Thought and prayers are with you for your loss.

Just a thought about the chocolate. - don’t know where you are but we have a site that sells coconut oil chocolate called https://lovingearth.net. if it can’t post to you maybe theres something near you. 

Our goals are pretty much that same so I’m looking forward to stalking you’re thread to see how you do it :)

xxx

Well I am glad the weekend is over, but I feel like I need another weekend to recover from this weekend! The funeral, visitation, graveside and burial, and multiple meals out with my Bible study group just was so emotionally taxing. I ended up bailing out early yesterday because I was just so exhausted. But overall, I stuck to my guns and kept to my goals. 

Goal 1 - I just finished my Sunday night workout. Hubby taught me overhead press and I did 3 sets of 5 with the 45 lb bar. I also did 3x5x135 on deadlift, and a drop set of squats with 75, 55, and 45 lbs to fail. Tired but alright. So for weekly wrap up, I worked out 3 times in my week (which started two days later than everyone else's challenge) on Thursday, Friday, and Sunday, so this week is successful.

Goal 2 - Ate well over the weekend, no cheating really. I did make chocolate jell-o today that I will get to enjoy all week that is very low in calories, and I had some tomato soup that I had no idea what was in it yesterday, so who knows if it had sugar in it, but other than that I did well. Drank my water today (well, I have a bit more to go tonight, but on track to finish) and stayed under calories best I can tell this weekend. I think today was my highest day at 1600 calories (partially because we went out to eat with my Bible study group after church! But I got an omelet with lots of meat and spinach so I did well), but because I lifted tonight I'm ok with that. So successful for the week!

Goal 4 - I did get a cup of coffee at Sbux yesterday morning with my friends before the funeral. So that counts as one impulse buy this week, so B for this week. Still good overall - especially considering the impulse buy was only $2 and was just a cup of coffee!

I'm ready for a new week. It will be a long week this week (STAAR testing for my grade this week = loooong boring days!) that I will probably spend lots of time on here while my kids take their tests, but I am just ready for a new week where I'm not looking to a funeral to end the week off. I hope everyone has a good week!

First Challenge

Thought and prayers are with you for your loss.

Just a thought about the chocolate. - don’t know where you are but we have a site that sells coconut oil chocolate called https://lovingearth.net. if it can’t post to you maybe theres something near you. 

Our goals are pretty much that same so I’m looking forward to stalking you’re thread to see how you do it :)

xxx

That chocolate looks amazing! I so want to order some :) but probably shouldnt.....

First Challenge

Sorry to hear about what you are going through, Essie. That is rough. You will definitely be in my prayers. I'll let my wife know, too. We'll be praying for you and your family, both blood and otherwise. Powering through it and staying on track with your goals is a beautiful thing to see. Good luck with that. Very inspiring.

Lv. 4 Mandalorian Sith Ranger

STR: 11/DEX: 3/CON: 8/STA: 13/WIS: 12/CHA: 4.5

(I): Fire Flower, Nifty Birthday Party Hat, Raccoon Suit of Creativity

Challenge_1, 23, Current

"Without strife, your victory has no meaning. Without strife, you do not advance. Without strife, there is only stagnation."

http://newportmissions.blogspot.com/

Well I am glad the weekend is over, but I feel like I need another weekend to recover from this weekend! The funeral, visitation, graveside and burial, and multiple meals out with my Bible study group just was so emotionally taxing. I ended up bailing out early yesterday because I was just so exhausted. But overall, I stuck to my guns and kept to my goals. 

Goal 1 - I just finished my Sunday night workout. Hubby taught me overhead press and I did 3 sets of 5 with the 45 lb bar. I also did 3x5x135 on deadlift, and a drop set of squats with 75, 55, and 45 lbs to fail. Tired but alright. So for weekly wrap up, I worked out 3 times in my week (which started two days later than everyone else's challenge) on Thursday, Friday, and Sunday, so this week is successful.

Goal 2 - Ate well over the weekend, no cheating really. I did make chocolate jell-o today that I will get to enjoy all week that is very low in calories, and I had some tomato soup that I had no idea what was in it yesterday, so who knows if it had sugar in it, but other than that I did well. Drank my water today (well, I have a bit more to go tonight, but on track to finish) and stayed under calories best I can tell this weekend. I think today was my highest day at 1600 calories (partially because we went out to eat with my Bible study group after church! But I got an omelet with lots of meat and spinach so I did well), but because I lifted tonight I'm ok with that. So successful for the week!

Goal 4 - I did get a cup of coffee at Sbux yesterday morning with my friends before the funeral. So that counts as one impulse buy this week, so B for this week. Still good overall - especially considering the impulse buy was only $2 and was just a cup of coffee!

I'm ready for a new week. It will be a long week this week (STAAR testing for my grade this week = loooong boring days!) that I will probably spend lots of time on here while my kids take their tests, but I am just ready for a new week where I'm not looking to a funeral to end the week off. I hope everyone has a good week!

It sounds like you have done amazingly well in the circumstances - congratulations. Seriously, I would not have been able to do what you did. Respect.

Here's to a new week :)

Huntress

Current challenge - Rebels - Huntress lays the foundations

"The effort yields its own rewards"  - Data, Star Trek: TNG.

SO proud of you for doing so well on your first week!!  Go Essie!  :triumphant:

About the STAAR tests....at least it should be nice and quiet for long periods of time. :P

SO proud of you for doing so well on your first week!!  Go Essie!  :triumphant:

About the STAAR tests....at least it should be nice and quiet for long periods of time. :tongue:

That would be true about STAAR for most people, but I actually ended up working with our one kid who has Down's (and is VERY loud and destructive) so it was actually more stressful than for most people!!! 

And thank you!!!!

First Challenge

Important Information

New here? Please check out our Privacy Policy and Community Guidelines