• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Pretzle

Pretzle's first challenge

My lunges were getting pretty easy to do as well as squats so I decided to start holding my hands behind my head, instead of in front of me, big difference!  I have to rely on my core a lot more to be able to balance properly through the motions.  I also have had to slow down my movements so I don't fall down.   I love when you can tweak an exercise just a bit and it becomes totally new.

I've wondered if I've been doing squats wrong (but went to the gym and the instructor told me it's fine) but somehow it's easier for me to have my hand behind my head (arms get too tired otherwise). I might just be strange, though, probably.

Nuts are great, we always have walnuts because my father-in-law has a huge walnut tree in France (yeah they have a house over there...) and he roasts them himself. Usually have them in my oats in the morning, as a snack in the afternoon and sometimes mixed in with dessert as well :D (Probably eat too many of them haha). But very tasty indeed!

I was at my heaviest when I was about 14-15 (at 66 kgs), everyone in my family (younger than 40 or so) is quite thin, though, so I'm sure genetics play a part there. Even my mom is still quite thin in appearance (arms + legs etc.) it's just her stomach that just jumped out after 40... Sure hope that'll never happen to me ^^; 

Nuts are great, we always have walnuts because my father-in-law has a huge walnut tree in France (yeah they have a house over there...) and he roasts them himself. Usually have them in my oats in the morning, as a snack in the afternoon and sometimes mixed in with dessert as well :D (Probably eat too many of them haha). But very tasty indeed!

I was at my heaviest when I was about 14-15 (at 66 kgs), everyone in my family (younger than 40 or so) is quite thin, though, so I'm sure genetics play a part there. Even my mom is still quite thin in appearance (arms + legs etc.) it's just her stomach that just jumped out after 40... Sure hope that'll never happen to me ^^;

Yay for walnuts :D

Wow haha, yes genetics. I get extra weight from both sides of the family. My mom's just very "sturdy" in build, so a normal weight would be higher anyway. My dad's side of the family everyone is overweight.

At my heaviest, that would be 2011, I was 86kg and decided enough is enough, and started working on eating healthier and starting with exercise. I got my weight down to 75kg... but yeah I gained back and this morning was 81.9kg

I'm more concerned with eating healthy and exercising than my weight now.

It was pretty good (quinoa salad with onion, sweet pepper, cucumber and tomato with some pesto) :D I'm thinking something egg-based (crustless-quiche, fritatta or something similar) for Thursday. 

I mean I could wait until Friday and just take bread with me on Thursdays but if I do that and something comes up why Friday is going to be impossible I'd fail my goal, and we can't have that can we? ;) Lunch time is definitely more interesting (already)!

I also stood on the train to work today and was forced to stand in the middle of the hallway without having anything to hold on to. I did really well, just this one bump near the station which is really mean caught me off guard and I had to put out my hand to the door to steady myself but otherwise it went great :) On the way home I managed to stand without touching anything (besides the floor with my feet :P). Oh and this morning I managed about 7 seconds of riding my bike without holding the steering wheel!

That sounds delicious! And again, I'm awed by your planning (y)

How long is your train ride?

Just 10 minutes, and by now I sort of know all the bumps etc. so it's getting a bit too easy. I stood most of the way on the train to my parents' place (about 50 minutes) though. That did feel strange to be honest :D I'm sure people thought I was weird (and a side effect of standing on the train near the doors - people assume it's really busy so they just take one the seats there instead of walking a bit further and finding a proper seat ^^;  makes me feel even more awkward to be standing there with seats available, haha). I usually read while standing, too... not sure if that makes me even weirder or less weird :P

Great first workout!  I'm guessing by "broken" you mean you hurt? Sorry I have trouble understanding people sometimes.

Yeah, mostly just exhausted and hurting a bit :)

For today... well, I have to work out again even if I don't feel like it (at this very moment). Unfortunately after Monday's work out my shoulder/back started hurting again (not during, only after and only at some times (especially sitting on the bus when it turns and sitting on a horrible chair at work for too long)... Not sure what that means, but it doesn't feel like muscle ache). Other than that I'm planning on finding and (if necessary making) and eating a healthy snack with my coffee/tea sometime today.

I vote for less weird! Book in front of your face makes everything look natural. I definitely couldn't do 50 minutes standing, my arms would get tired from holding that book up. Also i'm a bit lazy.

Maybe it'll help if you stretch your shoulder/back out a bit when you have to sit for long? Hope that'll feel better soon!

516e7cc2b1af6_healthysnack1week1.jpg

Healthy snack with my tea week 1 #1 - Done (Fake sunflower is just being pretty ;) Oh well). 
Actually 2 in one, but that's ok. I walked around the entire grocery store and actually had a really difficult time finding something! I could definitely use some suggestions for healthy snacks that go with coffee/tea (<- that's the difficult part! I love me some yoghurt with fruit/nuts/honey etc. or some veggies with hummus or a few slices of apple with peanut butter but that doesn't really go with coffee/tea (ok, maybe the last one does). I'll probably take a look at the Turkish store we have for some more ideas... At least I passed week 1 for this goal ;) (Even managed when my mother-in-law offered me a slice of some cake-like-thing right when I was making my tea. Yes I said I wanted to gain some weight, no, not like that :P)

Push ups: I did 20 knee push ups (these things can count for both challenge and mini challenge I suppose?) as part of my warming up, after that I did 2 rounds of my adapted beginner BW circuit but I couldn't manage 8 normal push ups after the knee push ups (ehhh, ah well, still push up practice so it's ok ;)) so I did 6 real ones + 2 knee push ups as part of the circuit. I felt really sick/dizzy even during the second round. I'm not sure why, I didn't feel well yesterday so I might just have managed to catch something after evading it this whole winter. Really hope that isn't the case.

Non-bread based lunch: I bought some mushrooms and I'm going to make something similar to this chicken spinach mushroom (crustless) quiche in a bit. That'll be lunch for tomorrow :) 

Overall I'd say I'm doing great so far :D

You're really doing great!!! Nice snack too.

I'm very uncreative when it comes to snacks. Right now I snack on nuts and in the evening some yoghurt. That's all the snacks I eat, very little variety.

Besides that I don't really eat with my tea anyway. So not sure.

For the shoulder/back pain, do you have a lacrosse ball or foam roller? Sometimes rolling out the painful area (and surrounding areas, too) can help.

Mmm, your snack looks tasty. Things that go with tea... maybe dried fruit? 

And nice job with the push-ups - I hope you're not getting sick!

Just 10 minutes, and by now I sort of know all the bumps etc. so it's getting a bit too easy. 

You might want to start standing on one leg!  (Sort o like a stork pose)

I love your snack picture, it's so happy and bright!  Looks delicious too.

Yes, every upper-body workout you do for your own challenges count in the mini-challenges. Mini-challenges are just here to inspire you doing more :P

Too bad I feel to awkward to do some push ups at work, haha. I'll do some more when I get home :D 

2 non-bread based lunches a week - week 1: DONE :D I don't think I like egg-based things though, didn't really enjoy lunch too much today. The veggies in there were definitely tasty, though :) Now I'll need some new ideas for next week, but tomorrow I can eat bread if I feel like it ^^ 

Thesis/research goal: I've made an appointment to discuss the layout of my 'masterpiece' (yeah, the course is actually called 'masterpiece' - it's basically a thesis...) next week Wednesday! This means that I'll try to fix the layout etc. before that time. Unfortunately I haven't heard back from my proofreader just yet (and I need another one... anyone incredibly bored, good at English and interested in C.S. Lewis? *hint hint*) so I won't be able to REALLY finish the thing at least for a few more weeks... But I was mostly worried about the layout comments I got last time (no idea what it is they want from me there) so it's good to be able to discuss that with my professor before handing it in :)

I've also done some work on the other research project: I've added the results/evidence I have so far to the file and I've e-mailed some colleagues to ask them for feedback/helping me out with some questions etc. Oh and I e-mailed someone else (+posted on FB for my classmates) to ask for ready made assignments/exercises I can use (it's a practical research :) So I need to create material and use readymade material and see how relevant + useful that material is). 

I dislike research and theses - it's a lot of work and it usually feels like you're not making progress. Even if it feels that way - I AM making progress. :) Can't wait for the day I can tell you guys I'm done with both :D

Others No official work out today (phew ;)). I might do some stepmania if I feel like it (I've been abandoning my usual cardio... Not sure if that's positive or negative... Hmm) and I'll try to get in some more push ups for the mini challenge ^^

Doing good! I used to give two shits about cardio, but I've been really enjoying it lately... Though since you want to gain some weight while I could stand to loose some... Dunno!

I considered volunteering to proofread, but I'm not sure how fast you want it back? I'm also in the middle of my own thesis (let's just call it that, us dutch ppl are weird) so I'm not exactly swimming in time, sorry :(

Ahaha Dutch words to be translated to English... sometimes it seems the English words are just not quite right :)

Sounds like you're on the right track though :D

Also yay for Stepmania! I should get into that again, my mat has been stored for forever (at least as long as I live in my apartment, which is already a year).

As for lunch, there's so many possibilities!!

You could bring leftover dinner even! That's what I've done often while trying Paleo.

Of course that wouldn't work with all dinner's if you can't warm it up, but it works pretty well regardless.

The course is *actually* named 'masterpiece' though, that's the stupid/funny thing. :D

Today: BREAD day at work... haha, no. I did bring bread, then decided to celebrate (we're going to take a look at an apartment next week... so who knows, we might have our own place next month!) by buying a wonderful salad for lunch. It had some pasta (like 5 pieces :P) but other than that all sort of yummy stuff - chicken, olives, tomatoes, lettuce + other green stuff. Very tasty, quite cheap for how much it was and how filling it was ^^ Nom.

Other than that it is an exercise day, but because my shoulder/back is still acting up I decided to do some cardio today and do my third beginner BW circuit work out tomorrow. So I went for a run. Something I didn't do for a while because it was cold and rainy etc. It was quite nice, and breathing seems a lot easier than I remember (eh? that's good but slightly weird). And then on my way back I remembered this field with a junglegym and some goalposts etc. I decided to take a look.

In the end I practice balancing a bit on one of the really low bars (both feet, I managed 10 seconds on another bar I found on my way back... with LOTS of arm swinging but we all have to start somewhere, right?). And the goal posts (or goals I suppose)... I'm in love :D They were those metal things with bars behind it (vertically) and reaching to the front (top)... Couldn't find a decent picture, but I decided to play around a bit and put my hands up to hold the bars and lifted my feet off the ground and just hung around for a bit (lolol). The bars are awesome because you can also start on one side, hold the bars with two hands and go to the other side by grabbing the next bar with one hand, after that the other etc. (Oh gosh,the moment you're almost qualified as an English teacher and realise there are so many topics you can't properly talk about in English... Haha.) Definitely feel it now but was quite amazed I could just do that without immediately falling down. 

They should have playgrounds for adults, I tell you. 

No push ups or anything, though... So I guess 'officially' it's not an awesome challenge day ;) Ah well. 

Awesome day!  Good luck with the apartment!  Adult playgrounds would be nice...I just go on the regular playgrounds and the little kiddies usually let me be.  Sometimes I find myself being followed by some kinds who try and mimic what I am doing, other times I just scare them all away.

Ooh, that playground sounds like lots of fun. Not sure what the goalpost things is, but sounds very cool! There should definitely be adult playgrounds, it's always a little weird playing on the kids' playground without any kids of my own. And that sounds like a really good day, even if it wasn't all directly serving your challenge.

So... today. A bit of a weird day. We went to the cinema yesterday and only got home at around midnight. I usually go to sleep around 10/10.30... yesterday? 1-ish. I woke up around 9 but went to sleep again and finally got up around 11 :o Phew. Anyways, I think that's what gave me a headache, so my day didn't start too well.

Paracetamol fixed things though. We celebrated my nephew's birthday (10! :) great age) and just got home before dinner. My husband played football with our nephew, my brother-in-law and a family friend this afternoon for about 1 1/2 hours  :D  So proud of him. Anyways, related to challenge:

So, husband had to shower when we got home, I decided I might as well get my work out in in the meantime so I could shower after him :) I did. After feeling a bit 'meh' this week I managed 3 complete rounds of my adapted beginner BW circuit. For the whole thing see dailymile (in my signature) but what's important:
First round I did 9(!) push-ups :D It feels like my goal is so near... But the other rounds I did 8 and the last round those 8 were pretty difficult to do... ^^; so to do 10 push ups for all three rounds? Nope, not nearly there yet. But I'm making progress :D

I also did some planks again (had swapped them out because of my shoulder/back pain)... I'm thinking I should go back to the doctor to get a referral for the physical therapist(?) after all :( It keeps coming back and making sitting/lying down really painful. Still not sure what exactly it is either (tendon or muscle or something else). I hate these things. 

Nice push-up progress! Way to go, and it's only week one, you've got lots of time still. And yeah, if the shoulder/back pain is recurring and you don't have ways to make it better, sounds like it would be worthwhile to go to the doc! Better than just hoping it goes away...

Healthy snack with my tea week 1 #1 - Done (Fake sunflower is just being pretty ;) Oh well). 

Actually 2 in one, but that's ok. I walked around the entire grocery store and actually had a really difficult time finding something! I could definitely use some suggestions for healthy snacks that go with coffee/tea (<- that's the difficult part! I love me some yoghurt with fruit/nuts/honey etc. or some veggies with hummus or a few slices of apple with peanut butter but that doesn't really go with coffee/tea (ok, maybe the last one does). I'll probably take a look at the Turkish store we have for some more ideas... At least I passed week 1 for this goal ;) (Even managed when my mother-in-law offered me a slice of some cake-like-thing right when I was making my tea. Yes I said I wanted to gain some weight, no, not like that :tongue:)

Yay for resisting the cake!! For snacks I like nuts with some raisins. I think raisins are great as long as you don't gorge yourself on them (which I'm prone to do if I don't measure out a set portion, lol) But I think this combo goes great with coffee/tea :) And wonderful picture!

I dislike research and theses - it's a lot of work and it usually feels like you're not making progress. Even if it feels that way - I AM making progress. :) Can't wait for the day I can tell you guys I'm done with both :D

Nice progress!! I dislike research as well so I understand. Way to keep pushing forward though :)

In the end I practice balancing a bit on one of the really low bars (both feet, I managed 10 seconds on another bar I found on my way back... with LOTS of arm swinging but we all have to start somewhere, right?). And the goal posts (or goals I suppose)... I'm in love :D They were those metal things with bars behind it (vertically) and reaching to the front (top)... Couldn't find a decent picture, but I decided to play around a bit and put my hands up to hold the bars and lifted my feet off the ground and just hung around for a bit (lolol). The bars are awesome because you can also start on one side, hold the bars with two hands and go to the other side by grabbing the next bar with one hand, after that the other etc. (Oh gosh,the moment you're almost qualified as an English teacher and realise there are so many topics you can't properly talk about in English... Haha.) Definitely feel it now but was quite amazed I could just do that without immediately falling down. 

They should have playgrounds for adults, I tell you. 

Yep, you are definitely an assassin now ;) There's no going back for you. Mwuahaha!!

I also did some planks again (had swapped them out because of my shoulder/back pain)... I'm thinking I should go back to the doctor to get a referral for the physical therapist(?) after all :( It keeps coming back and making sitting/lying down really painful. Still not sure what exactly it is either (tendon or muscle or something else). I hate these things. 

As much of a pain as going to the doctor is, its probably a good idea. You might not need a lot of physical therapy but you never know. Its definitely better and shorter recovery time if you catch it sooner. Good luck!! And I hope its nothing serious!

Sign in to follow this