• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Pretzle

Pretzle's first challenge

So, husband had to shower when we got home, I decided I might as well get my work out in in the meantime so I could shower after him :) I did. After feeling a bit 'meh' this week I managed 3 complete rounds of my adapted beginner BW circuit. For the whole thing see dailymile (in my signature) but what's important:

First round I did 9(!) push-ups :D It feels like my goal is so near... But the other rounds I did 8 and the last round those 8 were pretty difficult to do... ^^; so to do 10 push ups for all three rounds? Nope, not nearly there yet. But I'm making progress :D

I also did some planks again (had swapped them out because of my shoulder/back pain)... I'm thinking I should go back to the doctor to get a referral for the physical therapist(?) after all :( It keeps coming back and making sitting/lying down really painful. Still not sure what exactly it is either (tendon or muscle or something else). I hate these things. 

Nice, that is great! 8/9 pushups per round, you are already close to acheiving your goal. Well done :)

I think you have the right idea about seeking treatment for your shoulder and back - that really sucks, injuries are the worst. It never hurts to take care of yourself. You only have one back...

Great progress! Bit worried about your shoulder/back.. in my experience it's always hard to get rid off, but I hope yours turns out to be something easy! Just make sure to go to someone who sees people who do sports and not just deal with old and/or sedentary people all day.

So glad I got my workout in before dinner. First I wanted to wait until after dinner (to 'really' wait for 48 hours before working out again, but yeah, it's nicer to be done earlier in the day). 

I started out with some balance practice (dressed in my running outfit to make it seem less weird to have a 25 year old play on the monkey bars, ah well.. :P) and I'm SURE it was a fluke but I managed 24 seconds(!!!) of balancing (both legs, bar is about 40 centimetres above the ground) one time :D Other attempts weren't very impressive I have to say... managed about 10 seconds twice and all other attempts were max 4 seconds ^^; I think it's a bit harder because it's higher so I really have to step high onto the bars, but that's just an excuse. I want to be able to walk comfortably on the bars (they're connected, a low, middle and high one.) some time. Kind of miffed I didn't make it a real goal because it's so much fun, then again... because it's so much fun it doesn't need to be a goal to do it :) 

Push ups

Rest of the workout on Dailymile (in my sig). I did 9 push-ups in all three rounds today! Was afraid I'd collapse on the last round, but think I might have even been able to do 10 - but it's fine for now :P I also added inverted rows (using my sturdy, sturdy desk :)) to the routine (3 in each round for now). All muscles were starting to shake in the third round, and breathing was kind of difficult (had to catch my breath between exercises during the third round) but I did manage all reps for all exercises so I'm quite proud of myself. Think I'll be a bit sore tomorrow, though :D

Snacks
Other than that: Snack! I went to the market this morning and found myself some yummy avocados. I totally made tea with it so it could count toward my goal, but hey... it's a snack I had with my tea, so it's not really cheating is it? :) (And lots of ingredients and stuff for tonight's dinner in the background).
5175306d0969d_DSC06003.jpg

non-bread based lunches
Lunch tomorrow will be a chickpea/tuna/lettuce salad which I'll prepare tomorrow (work starts at 13.30 but I'm always early so I'll eat my lunch at work :)).

Absolutely on track for everything so far! Nice!

Getting sore again :( I don't even know what's back there, but I'm guessing it might be a tendon or something acting up. And think it's more back than shoulder (it hurts when I move my arm or turn sideways) It's not like a muscle ache, it starts immediately after exercising and it's not constant. When I turn (sitting or lying down) it can suddenly hurt quite badly. I'm trying to keep moving because it gets worse if I sit still. One idea I came up with is that maybe I'm (over)compensating with my right side for weakness on my left side? I know I'm not very balanced (right handed, add in scoliosis and just being weak in general) maybe I've overdone it or something. 

I know I'm not going to fix it by just thinking about it some more, but I hate having to make appointments (takes so much time, too!) but I know I'll have to. I'll phone my GP tomorrow (he said I could get a referral for the physiotherapist if I still had pain after another week or two) and I'll make an appointment sometime soon. Just hope I'll be hurting when I have the appointment because otherwise I might not be able to explain it clearly enough :P And that they'll know their stuff to actually be able to help me. In the mean time I'll just keep exercising because it's not making it worse (ok, I mean, pain goes away after some rest, but it's not like the pain is increasing every time I work out, it stays about the same). 

Back/shoulder's a lot better today (which means that I didn't make an appointment just yet ^^; ). Still wondering whether it's something that might get better on its own as I get a bit stronger ... Guess I'd better be safe than sorry though, so might still get it checked out.

Non-bread based lunches

Other than that today was a rather lazy day. Breakfast was scrambled eggs with tomato and ham, lunch was the tuna salad I mentioned earlier (quite tasty but even though it was A LOT and I felt really full (too full) immediately afterwards I got quite hungry again within 2 hours... hmmm ate all my snacks today at work (banana, walnuts + raisins and a 2 'sultana' cookies). And then I got home and dinner was fries :( Ah well. 

Second awesome lunch will be on Friday this week because on Thursday I'll have to rush to an appointment immediately after teaching my morning classes (to take a look at what might become our apartment :D) so I'll pack something quick and easy to eat on the go... possibly bread (might still end up being an awesome lunch, but will aim to have my 'challenge lunch' on Friday... Which will include roasted butternut squash! (How I love that stuff :D Used to eat it all the time in South Africa but never (before this time) get any here in the Netherlands, boo). 

Butternut squash is absolutely delicious, you should try the Ekoplaza if there is one in your town, they have it quite often and it's actually for sale this week.

Been thinking about your shoulder, maybe you can put up a video of your pushups? Just to be sure they are not causing the problem. My bf offered to take a look at them and I'm sure some of the others here know their pushups too. 

What angle(s) should I take the video from? :) (Hah I'll send it by private message because I'm not ready yet to put a vid of myself on the forums ^^; ) 

I was pretty sure I had a job after the summer break (still think I do...) but the school can't say much more than 'we're working on it, need to confirm with the people higher up'. It's been a MONTH and at at first they told me they needed me to take some classes before the summer holiday. Can't see that happening for sure, but really want that job after summer... (And if I don't get it there I should already be looking for something else...) Anyways, cleaning time now and work out later before going to uni :)

What angle(s) should I take the video from? :) (Hah I'll send it by private message because I'm not ready yet to put a vid of myself on the forums ^^; ) 

That's fine! Schuin voor is het belangrijkst, liefst ook nog van de voorkant.

I was pretty sure I had a job after the summer break (still think I do...) but the school can't say much more than 'we're working on it, need to confirm with the people higher up'. It's been a MONTH and at at first they told me they needed me to take some classes before the summer holiday. Can't see that happening for sure, but really want that job after summer... (And if I don't get it there I should already be looking for something else...) Anyways, cleaning time now and work out later before going to uni :)

I thought jobs for middle school teachers were pretty ok right now? I heard primary school is horrible right now though..

Secondary school or MBO... It's actually a great time for English teachers and they teach English pretty much everywhere :D I just really want to work at this particular school, but they're really being difficult about it (even though they asked ME to come in for an interview, haha... So I guess it should all be fine, it's just a pain in the behind to get anything officially sorted ... ugh). 

Although not getting this job would surely open up new possibilities so either way it'll be ok... Just hope it won't mean we won't be able to get the apartment... 

Husband took his camera with him today (I think... can't find it ^^; ) so I couldn't record myself today... Maybe tomorrow/next work out day :)

Question time
Also question, does it matter if my dumbbell is unbalanced? I want to increase the weight but 3 kgs -> 6 kgs is too much of an increase... So I tried 4 today, but that means 3 kgs on one side and 1 on the other... Is that a problem?

Push ups

Did my adapted beginner BW circuit again (changed it up a bit, it's all in daily mile... but doing fewer squats, more weight for the dumbbell rows, 1 more each for the shoulder exercises and adding in a few secs of one legged planking (which is quite difficult!). Went pretty well, although I had to wait again between exercises on the second and third round because otherwise my heart can't keep up... Maybe changed too much in one go? (Or not recovered quite enough after last time just yet?). I am feeling pretty awesome now though, surprised at how much I can do (oh and I'm starting to see changes in my body, too :D :D :D yay). 

Push ups was 9 each round again. Quite difficult (I think because I'm doing more upper body exercises now compared to before) but I managed all sets ^^ 

I hope your jobs works out for you.  

I don't really know about your offset weights question...I think it would be a bit awkward to have 3lbs in one hand and 1lb in the other....maybe if you swapped hands after a few reps so the left got 3 lbs and then the right got 3 lbs.  It probably depends on what you are doing.  Again I am not 100% sure.

Lunch

I had a sandwich yesterday at the station and... didn't really enjoy it. :( Haha.

Today I had my non-bread based lunch #2 of this week (roasted butternut squash with a simple salad) which was very yummy :) So this one is done for the week!

Exercise/injuries

Shoulder/back is getting worse... Your post encouraged me to phone the doctor to get a referral (which you don't need to go to the physical therapist but do need to get it covered by my insurance, blah)... Thing is, they have a holiday next week (fuuuu!) and aren't sure whether or not they'll get it done before 5. They asked me to come in, but were afraid it wouldn't be ready yet. So I'll go to the doctor and hopefully they'll have it done by 5 so I can make an appointment with the 'fysio'. 

Edit even before posting: She just phoned me back - it's ready so I'll go get it know and phone the physical therapist asap ;) 

Snacks

I should find something healthy snack wise as my snack #2 for this week... hmmm

Exercise

Scared to do my usual stuff because back/shoulder seems to be getting worse.... Might do some cardio today, and really want to do my bodyweight stuff tomorrow (because I LOVE it) but not sure I really should... Maybe just do lower body exercises for now... :(

Got an appointment on Monday :D (<- ok, not that happy to have to go there (hate appointments with doctors etc.) but at least that's VERY quick and hopefully I'll know what to do/not to do to make sure it will get better instead of worse :) 

Totally get that you hate doctors appointments, but way to go on getting one anyway :) Really hope he'll help you along on monday! 

Those food challenges you set yourself are really working out well! Setting a great example there :) I'm a bit scared of diet related goals, but you figured out what you could do and you actually do it. Way proud of you!

What's interesting is that (while I have absolutely no desire to go paleo) now that I'm focussing on having a bit more variety with my lunches I eat less bread (wheaty things) at other times as well. I just seem to have fewer cravings for those things AND enjoy them less. Certainly makes me think because if that changes so much in just 2 weeks... how much of what we eat (in general) is just 'a habit' and nothing more? 

Bread is one of those 'Dutch' things in a way, I think. (Almost) everyone eats bread for lunch every.single.day. And almost everyone thinks of it as healthy (I remember thinking that a slice of bread with hagelslag or jam was healthy (at least WAY healthier than 'snacks') BECAUSE of the bread. As in 'bread = healthy'.). Most people even eat it for breakfast, too. 

At the moment the only real downside of it is that it takes a bit more time to prepare - but really, lunches are that much better! Because really, how tasty or interesting is a slice of bread with dried out-whatever-you-put-on-there (or the equivalent - which is perhaps even worse: sweaty cheese or sticky chocolate spread... 

Ok, now I'll have to write myself a reminder to come up with another healthy snack (I guess I could count the chocolate and nuts again, but I'd like to come up with some new things if possible) for this week :)

Awesome job!  It's amazing how much food a person eats is out of pure habit.  I haven't had bread in foooor eeeeverrr!  And I don't miss it, I think most of our cravings are just mental.  Our brain gets used to the habit but our bodies don't need it.  I am sure once you make your good foods more often you will get quicker at it and it will become second nature.

I really raged earlier this morning when I noticed that my father-in-law (the in-laws are away to France for the week) had been so kind to buy TWO loaves of bread (and the light coloured 'whole wheat' ones too) AND a huge bag of croissants. Seriously, just raged. I suppose that's not really fair to him as he was probably only trying to be nice and leave us some groceries but UGH I just got so angry. (That, and I haven't even told him I'm not eating as much bread as I used to ^^; so I really can't blame him). Really want my own place, unfortunately we haven't even heard back about the apartment. :( 

Anyways, other than that, it's 'shark week' (not sure if you've all read the topic, but yeah, worst week of the month) and after two rest days it's definitely time for working out again, so I shall. Maybe it'll even help with the pain and the grumpiness. But really not feeling like it now... Think I'll leave out the dumbbell rows and possibly the planks today while waiting for the physical therapist to tell me what (not) to do while shoulder is recovering. (But not skipping everything because I actually need it to hurt a bit on Monday so I'll be able to explain what the problem is...) So, time for warming up it is...

Ok, managed. 

Push ups

First round: 10!!!! (9 the other 2 rounds, last one was very difficult and I wanted to quit at 8 but did 9 anyway). Rest is on dailymile (skipped the dumbbell rows as planned, did plank but just normal one (not part one-legged). Inverted rows are already that much easier :D 

Will go grocery shopping later today and find something which can be my healthy snack #2 for this week~

Healthy snack #2 (my picture doesn't look like much :P Recipe here: http://www.stumbleupon.com/su/3VZ8Rj/littlebcooks.blogspot.nl/2013/03/frozen-banana-bites.html/)

So eh, I just used dark chocolate and walnuts (and banana, obviously) nothing else. Kitchen was a complete mess, and they're REALLY cold to eat in their frozen state but very yummy. 

I think I'll try to find one new snack (bought or homemade) each week and count the healthy snacks I already know for my total of healthy snacks with coffee/tea for the rest of the challenge :)

Also, I'm now making this (does not qualify as healthy, but definitely interesting) I forgot about the sugar when you put the pistachios in, so I hope it'll still be tasty (but pretty sure it will be because the dough itself was quite sweet already). 

http://www.stumbleupon.com/su/1AUzrf/livingtastefully.weebly.com/2/post/2010/05/sunday-mornings-at-my-house-pistachio-bread.html/

Healthy snack #2 (my picture doesn't look like much :tongue: Recipe here: http://www.stumbleupon.com/su/3VZ8Rj/littlebcooks.blogspot.nl/2013/03/frozen-banana-bites.html/)

So eh, I just used dark chocolate and walnuts (and banana, obviously) nothing else. Kitchen was a complete mess, and they're REALLY cold to eat in their frozen state but very yummy. 

I think I'll try to find one new snack (bought or homemade) each week and count the healthy snacks I already know for my total of healthy snacks with coffee/tea for the rest of the challenge :)

Also, I'm now making this (does not qualify as healthy, but definitely interesting) I forgot about the sugar when you put the pistachios in, so I hope it'll still be tasty (but pretty sure it will be because the dough itself was quite sweet already). 

http://www.stumbleupon.com/su/1AUzrf/livingtastefully.weebly.com/2/post/2010/05/sunday-mornings-at-my-house-pistachio-bread.html/

nommers!

Absolutely on track for everything so far! Nice!

This is awesome!! I haven't been on your thread for a few days and of course you are rocking it!! Great job :D

Got an appointment on Monday :D (<- ok, not that happy to have to go there (hate appointments with doctors etc.) but at least that's VERY quick and hopefully I'll know what to do/not to do to make sure it will get better instead of worse :)

Really glad to hear that you got an appointment. Even though they are a pain, better to catch it early and fix it than not. I wish you luck with the appointment and I hope you like your physical therapist. I absolutely loved mine which made me want to go to my appointments. Lol

What's interesting is that (while I have absolutely no desire to go paleo) now that I'm focussing on having a bit more variety with my lunches I eat less bread (wheaty things) at other times as well. I just seem to have fewer cravings for those things AND enjoy them less. Certainly makes me think because if that changes so much in just 2 weeks... how much of what we eat (in general) is just 'a habit' and nothing more? 

I was trying to cut down on the amount of bread that I was eating and now the couple times I've had it, I haven't even enjoyed it that much. I kept wishing that I was eating something without bread. And besides, all the lunches you are fixing sound absolutely delicious!!

Anyways, other than that, it's 'shark week' (not sure if you've all read the topic, but yeah, worst week of the month) and after two rest days it's definitely time for working out again, so I shall. Maybe it'll even help with the pain and the grumpiness. But really not feeling like it now... Think I'll leave out the dumbbell rows and possibly the planks today while waiting for the physical therapist to tell me what (not) to do while shoulder is recovering. (But not skipping everything because I actually need it to hurt a bit on Monday so I'll be able to explain what the problem is...) So, time for warming up it is...

I have that problem too. It never seems to hurt when you see them. But it takes so long to get an appointment. That definitely always frustrates me. Hopefully its hurting a little a Monday. If all else fails you could do some of the exercises that irritate it for the physical therapist.

Ok, managed. 

Push ups

First round: 10!!!! (9 the other 2 rounds, last one was very difficult and I wanted to quit at 8 but did 9 anyway). Rest is on dailymile (skipped the dumbbell rows as planned, did plank but just normal one (not part one-legged). Inverted rows are already that much easier :D

Will go grocery shopping later today and find something which can be my healthy snack #2 for this week~

Great going on those push ups! :D And that during shark attack, pretty amazing! How's your shoulder now? really hope tomorrow will be a good day for you! 

And you're killing me with those pictures, UGH. WANT.

Sign in to follow this