• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Pretzle

Pretzle's first challenge

Way to kick ass with the push ups and do one more when you wanted to quit!  I usually do that, when my brain starts to say ok that's enough now, I'm like no it's not just 1 more!  

That pistachio bread looks pretty good!  Too bad I don't eat bread.

Lunches

I think I remember saying  I wanted to eat at least three non-bread-based lunches during the two weeks of the May break... Ehhh, ok! Today's going to be shakshuka (or a dumbed down version of it because my father-in-law threw out my spicy Turkish pickled peppers D: Boo!) (eggs poached in a spicy tomato sauce). I think I'll have it with a salad (usually eat it with pita or other bread).

Healthy snacks

Just had some plain nuts (lovely mix of almonds, hazelnut, pecan and some other nuts) so that's #1 for the week!

Push ups
We're going to my parents today - Wednesday so I'll do one of my work outs now. It's also to make sure my shoulder hurts pretty much as much as possible (/as much as it usually does after working out) for the appointment with the physical therapist. Really, REALLY hope she isn't going to tell me to stop exercising for a bit(or at least some kinds of exercises, which is... likely?) but yeah, if necessary... that's just the way it is. 

Today's workout is on dailymile... I MADE IT!!!! 10 push-ups in all three rounds! I'm not going to say goal completed just yet, because the last two in the last round were quite sloppy and besides, lots of time left so I'll keep improving so let's see how far I can go :) 

I am sure at worst, you will have to do modified exercises until your shoulder heals.  You shouldn't have to stop exercising completely.  

Way to go on your 10 push ups!!!

So, I survived. The physical therapist is quite nice. For now I got a few exercises to do daily, twice daily if I can (will make sure I do that). So what's wrong? Basically the whole right side of my back is tense, quite a bit too tense. So that means massages (not complaining there, although it hurts a bit) and... yeah, exercises. So that's good! I'll go back once more this week and then we'll probably do once a week for a while, but it should improve pretty soon, she thinks. (Yay!)

Next time I'll have to bring a list of the exercises I do and we'll discuss those. She also suggested I take more rest in-between exercises (so not going from one to the other immediately in the circuit). I'm fine with that ;) will mean working out will take a bit longer, but as long as I can do the exercises I want to do it shouldn't matter too much.

Injury/push-ups
So glad I made it to 10 real push-ups last week... I'm not allowed to do real ones for now, just wall push-ups or if those 'get to easy' (well, I HAVE been doing real ones, so yeah... too easy) I can do incline push ups for now. (Anyone know if that makes sense if the problem was your  middle back muscles being too tight?)

Anyway, I do have to say the exercises she told me to do are DEFINITELY helping. Pain is still there but a lot less intense than it was, and it's only been 3 days of doing the exercises the therapist told me to do (oh, and massage, :D doh).

She only told me 'just do incline/wall push ups for now and we'll work towards doing normal ones again' but she didn't say anything about planking or inverted rows. Probably because I didn't, either. Should I/can I still do those? Or should I REALLY take it very easy for upper body things atm? What would you guys say?

Woot!
Ok now on to the woot part :) I had to do an exercise similar to wall push-ups at the physical therapist today and she actually said "You can tell you do these kind of exercises (regularly)!' (Dutch: "Je kan wel zien dat je dit soort oefeningen doet"). I didn't ask what she meant exactly but I'm thinking a bit of muscle is starting to show up ;) So yeah, that's a woot!

Lunch
Not sure what's for lunch today just yet but I'll make it something non-bread based (probably eggs or tuna) :)

So, I survived. The physical therapist is quite nice. For now I got a few exercises to do daily, twice daily if I can (will make sure I do that). So what's wrong? Basically the whole right side of my back is tense, quite a bit too tense. So that means massages (not complaining there, although it hurts a bit) and... yeah, exercises. So that's good! I'll go back once more this week and then we'll probably do once a week for a while, but it should improve pretty soon, she thinks. (Yay!)

Next time I'll have to bring a list of the exercises I do and we'll discuss those. She also suggested I take more rest in-between exercises (so not going from one to the other immediately in the circuit). I'm fine with that ;) will mean working out will take a bit longer, but as long as I can do the exercises I want to do it shouldn't matter too much.

Way to go! Glad to hear it's something fixable :) Tightness/tenseness causes a LOT of problems, jep.

Let us know how it goes?

Woot!

Ok now on to the woot part :) I had to do an exercise similar to wall push-ups at the physical therapist today and she actually said "You can tell you do these kind of exercises (regularly)!' (Dutch: "Je kan wel zien dat je dit soort oefeningen doet"). I didn't ask what she meant exactly but I'm thinking a bit of muscle is starting to show up ;) So yeah, that's a woot!

Woot! :) 

Heyyy you're back :D 

Yesterday the pain came back even worse than before (started before exercising, after massage at the physical therapist, great). I'm also ill (flu/cold, not quite sure yet which one) so boo. 'Luckily' I have another week off, so of all times to get ill (especially with regard to graduating this year) it's actually the best time.

Other than that... we might get the apartment we had a look at last week! Exciting, but it would be so busy. 

Healthy snacks: I had some more frozen banana yesterday... so I need one more this week.

Yea moving is never fun, but damn getting your own place makes up for it :) Hope you feel better soon so that you can get some work done during the vacation and hopefully have more time when you do get to move!

Sorry to hear about your shoulder :/ hope it's one of those getting worse before it gets better type of things??

Injury/push-ups

She only told me 'just do incline/wall push ups for now and we'll work towards doing normal ones again' but she didn't say anything about planking or inverted rows. Probably because I didn't, either. Should I/can I still do those? Or should I REALLY take it very easy for upper body things atm? What would you guys say?

Definitely glad that the visit went well and that you like your physical therapist. Thats important.

I'd say lay off of all upper body things until you go back to the PT and ask her about it. Better to be safe than sorry.

But great job at keeping a positive attitude through this whole thing!!

Heyyy you're back :D 

Yesterday the pain came back even worse than before (started before exercising, after massage at the physical therapist, great). I'm also ill (flu/cold, not quite sure yet which one) so boo. 'Luckily' I have another week off, so of all times to get ill (especially with regard to graduating this year) it's actually the best time.

I really hope its a "it has to get worse before it can get better" kind of thing. *fingers crossed*

And I hope the flu/cold gets better too!!

I think it's 'just' a cold :D I'm still not feeling too great, but did wake up feeling a lot more 'normal' (healthy) than yesterday!

I wasn't sure whether or not I was ready to try 'proper exercising' so I went for a walk (about 25 minutes I guess) which was great. As I was warmed up anyway I decided to do a few exercises... So, no upper body exercises (besides the ones prescribed by my physical therapist to help my back) ... so that means... it's just squats and lunges left in my usual work out (too much focus on upper body? Maybe? Any suggestions for other lower body exercises? :)). 

Push-ups etc.

As usual it's on Dailymile. I did two rounds of squats + lunges with the recovery exercises (including wall push-ups) in between. Went a lot better than expected ^^ 

Lunches

We had tomato soup (+ a small bread roll... but even though there was bread it was definitely not bread-based!) yesterday so that's 3/3 (3 instead of 2 because of the May break) of non-bread based lunches for this week! Still on track :)

Snacks

They had yummy grapes on special this week so I had some of those as new healthy snack with my tea this week. I'm thinking I might have underestimated the '1 more healthy snack each week' thing... Not looking forward to the coming weeks with regard to that... Hope I'll make it. For now though? Still on track.

Masterpiece/research (lifegoal)

Just realised I totally forget to tell you guys about this one all the time...
Finally got a reply from one of my proofreaders so I fixed some minor issues with my masterpiece this week. I expect to hear back from my second proofreader next week, and I'll hand it in the week after that (week 5 of the challenge) a week before the actual deadline. Definitely on track for this one :)

Research... Ehm, yeah. I heard one of my classmates was planning to FINISH it tomorrow. Usually I'm one of the faster students so that kind of demotivated me and made me stress out a bit (couldn't sleep yesterday because of thinking too much about school stuff...) I didn't work on my research this week (no school, couldn't ask the coaches etc.) but I HAVE worked on my general teaching practice portfolio. Deadline stands June 6th so I'm still planning on finishing it before the end of the challenge. It has to be done anyway. 
Oh I do actually have some news about this! I got some feedback from my professor saying that contents-wise it's going well (yay!). I just have 'quite a bit of work to do regarding the way I phrase things/write them down'. At first this demotivated me (yup, this too) but later on I realised that this is MUCH better than the other way around. If, for whatever reason, it isn't graded as sufficient the first time around it's way more practical to have to revise it (text-wise) than to have to redo the actual research... (Second thing is pretty much impossible because my teacher training will be done by then). His comments weren't a big deal, btw, he made it sound like it was quite bad but I think he's just trying to motivate me to put in a bit more effort ^^;

I'm planning to organise some things this week (get a video sorted so I can get some feedback from some colleagues, find one or two additional activities (which I won't actually do, just need the theoretical part) and organise feedback for that, too... After that it should pretty much just leave the actual writing process (already started on that, too) so even though I'm not too happy about the whole thing in general it should be doable...

----------

Are we seriously about halfway through this challenge? Time totally flies.

Week 4 day 1: 

Lunches
Decided I might as well start off strong this week: I had a stirfry of radish leafs, tomato, onion, egg and rice :) Very yummy.

Masterpiece/research

Worked on both this morning! Spent about 45 minutes working on my research (the actual report) and also uploaded a video I needed to upload to get feedback on, e-mailed my professor to ask some questions I had about his feedback... So yay :) Didn't make too much actual progress, but definitely worked on it.

Masterpiece... I re-read about half of the thing and caught about 5 weird errors/sentences/mistakes :) After re-re-re-reading it for so many times it's difficult to spot weird things about it, but I did :)

Injury

So, time for another visit to my physical therapist. I almost cried this weekend because even though I faithfully do the exercises she told me to do it seems to be getting worse, not better :( We'll see what she says today...

Your lunch sounds so delicious!  Sounds like you are having some progress with your Masterpiece/research too.  I hope you have someone else around who can read it as well to find other errors that may have slipped in.  I hope your physical therapist visit goes well today.  Maybe it's supposed to get worse before it gets better....?

Fingers crossed for a swift recovery! :)

Bummed to hear that your injury is not getting any better.. i'll be crossing my fingers. 

Glad you're doing well on your thesis though! It'll be such a relief when you're done :) Keep it up!

Physical therapist was quite surprised it was worse :( so boo. But I got another new exercise 'the vacuumcleaner' (sit on hands + knees, arch back, slowly move head towards knees, then move your head forward in front of you until you reach the front and move up again (back hollow in between, arched again at the end)... I won't be doing any upper body work except for the recovery exercises for now... So I guess I'll have to start running again (not really feeling like it :( ah well). 

We also discussed how I sit at my desk etc. Hope it'll get better so I'll be able to get back to having fun with bodyweight stuff ;) 

This week so far:

Lunches

1/3 done, really need a healthy lunch tomorrow.

Injury/exercise

Even doing JUST the recovery exercises (without anything else) seem to make the pain a lot worse :( Does anyone have experience with too tense muscles? I know I could ask my husband to massage me but obviously he's no physical therapist so it's not going to be as usual... I'm getting a bit emotional about this (haha, it's true). I had finally found something I really enjoyed doing (BW exercises) and I simply can't atm. Pain is also getting worse, not better. It really sucks. I might go for a swim sometime this week though, that should be good for my back...

I did exercise today: just squats, lunges and the recovery exercises :) Yesterday we walked the dog (at my parents' place) twice, both for about 3-4 kms :D That was a nice active surprise.

Masterpiece

I think... it's done! :D I might still get some late feedback from a classmate and if I do I might need to fix a few tiny things... but other than that it's just printing and handing in left (oh, and preparing the presentation/defense...) but the writing part is officially over ;):D:D:D

Healthy snacks

I'm REALLY not focussing on this goal. I should have 4 this week. I do think I eat enough healthy snacks but I could still use some variety. 

Yesterday I had a tangerine (1), today I had a few radishes and two slices of cucumber (2). I'd like to prepare one recipe for a healthy snack this week... I'll see if I can find something I'd like to make in my new recipe list right now because otherwise I'll forget about it. So that means 2 left for this week, one 'special' / 'new' thing and the other can be something I had before.

Edit: I think I'll try to make this http://www.stumbleupon.com/su/93Jqkt/www.twopeasandtheirpod.com/homemade-fruit-leather/ (without sugar) :D Have been wanting to try it for a while now...

Masterpiece

I think... it's done! :D I might still get some late feedback from a classmate and if I do I might need to fix a few tiny things... but other than that it's just printing and handing in left (oh, and preparing the presentation/defense...) but the writing part is officially over ;):D :D :D

WOOOOT!! :D When is the party?! :)

Too bad it's contrasted so much by your shoulder.... really annoyed this physical therapist doesn't seem to be helping you very well. Are you going to try to stick with her plan? I'm not sure what else you could do. My bf had/has shoulder issues, they hurt if he doesn't stretch and properly balance his push/pull etc... but that doesn't sound so similar to what you've got going on. 

hi pretzle,

i am finally over here to read how you got along and i say you are kicking @ss big time!!!! :) whoooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooottttttttt!!!

sorry about your shoulder. i hope it gets better soon!

from all the people ive met here so far you are one of the few who really knocked their goals down one by one. congrats!!

keep up the good work! and good luck for your exam and the appartement!

:)

Congrats on the masterpiece!WOOT!

On the shoulder. Vector gave me this website talking about Somatics, (you'll have to ask him to explain it) Its a way of releasing tight muscles . I tried the shoulder exercise and it helped.

http://essentialsomatics.wordpress.com/

I know you are already doing some physical therapy, but since you said they weren't working, maybe this will help

hi pretzle,

i am finally over here to read how you got along and i say you are kicking @ss big time!!!! :) whoooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooottttttttt!!!

sorry about your shoulder. i hope it gets better soon!

from all the people ive met here so far you are one of the few who really knocked their goals down one by one. congrats!!

keep up the good work! and good luck for your exam and the appartement!

:)

Thanks! :) I feel like I haven't been doing as well as I could be, mainly because of the injury... but maybe I just wanted to do too much too soon.

The apartment isn't happening, but that's a good thing. We got a reply - we could have gotten it if we wanted it, but it was more expensive than we had thought it would be and it would have been for at least one year. It definitely wasn't worth being stuck there for a year. So for now we're still living with the in-laws, but that does mean I don't have to worry about moving while trying to graduate and that is a good thing, a blessing even. I'm not sure I would have been able to graduate, otherwise.

The seemingly 'easiest' goal (the snacks) has proven to be the most difficult one! I think because it's increasing every week (which sounded like a good plan but boy does it make things complicated). I'll be making these: http://www.stumbleupon.com/su/2O3j8E/www.christinamarsigliese.com/2013/04/chewy-coconut-raisin-honey-granola-bars.html/ either tonight or tomorrow and I had a kiwi fruit as a snack yesterday so if I make the granola bars that will mean 4 healthy(healthier) snacks this week. Not sure if I'll manage 5 and 6 over the last few weeks, though...

Lunches

At the moment I'm eating tuna with chickpeas, a handful of spinach and lettuce, onion, chives some salt, pepper and lemon juice. Brilliant :D I was actually totally craving some tuna today after eating bread based lunches over the past few days. I think this is non-bread based lunch 3 of this week, but I'm not COMPLETELY sure so I guess I'll eat another non-bread based lunch tomorrow just in case :) 

Congrats on the masterpiece!WOOT!

On the shoulder. Vector gave me this website talking about Somatics, (you'll have to ask him to explain it) Its a way of releasing tight muscles . I tried the shoulder exercise and it helped.

http://essentialsomatics.wordpress.com/

I know you are already doing some physical therapy, but since you said they weren't working, maybe this will help

Brilliant, thanks so much! Wonderful website. Not sure I'm doing it correct just yet but the back thing at least FEELS like it's making a difference :) It really makes sense, too. I was very surprised when my physical therapist told me my muscles were too tense - it didn't feel like a muscle problem to me, at all.

Masterpiece

I also 'finished' my presentation (prezi, actually). I mean, I could use it as it is. It's very basic (most difficult thing was to try to summarise over a year of work into a 20 minute presentation!) but it would work. If I have time for it (/feel like it) I might adapt it some more before giving the actual presentation but knowing I at least have something to work with is a good feeling. 

I wasn't sure whether or not I was ready to try 'proper exercising' so I went for a walk (about 25 minutes I guess) which was great. As I was warmed up anyway I decided to do a few exercises... So, no upper body exercises (besides the ones prescribed by my physical therapist to help my back) ... so that means... it's just squats and lunges left in my usual work out (too much focus on upper body? Maybe? Any suggestions for other lower body exercises? :)).

You could add in some glute/hamstring exercises. Like lying abductions or clams. Strengthening my glutes really helped with my planks and pushups. :D

Injury

So, time for another visit to my physical therapist. I almost cried this weekend because even though I faithfully do the exercises she told me to do it seems to be getting worse, not better :( We'll see what she says today...

*hugs* I've been there. Its not fun. I hope you find something that works for you.  

Physical therapist was quite surprised it was worse :( so boo. But I got another new exercise 'the vacuumcleaner' (sit on hands + knees, arch back, slowly move head towards knees, then move your head forward in front of you until you reach the front and move up again (back hollow in between, arched again at the end)... I won't be doing any upper body work except for the recovery exercises for now... So I guess I'll have to start running again (not really feeling like it :( ah well). 

We also discussed how I sit at my desk etc. Hope it'll get better so I'll be able to get back to having fun with bodyweight stuff

I also got the quite surprised from my physical therapist. I hope she figures out how to help you! 

Masterpiece

I think... it's done! :D I might still get some late feedback from a classmate and if I do I might need to fix a few tiny things... but other than that it's just printing and handing in left (oh, and preparing the presentation/defense...) but the writing part is officially over ;):D

Thats amazing!!! So excited for you :D

Thanks! :) I feel like I haven't been doing as well as I could be, mainly because of the injury... but maybe I just wanted to do too much too soon.

The apartment isn't happening, but that's a good thing. We got a reply - we could have gotten it if we wanted it, but it was more expensive than we had thought it would be and it would have been for at least one year. It definitely wasn't worth being stuck there for a year. So for now we're still living with the in-laws, but that does mean I don't have to worry about moving while trying to graduate and that is a good thing, a blessing even. I'm not sure I would have been able to graduate, otherwise.

I'm glad that you are looking at the good things about not getting the apartment. As you may know I'm all about finding the "silver linings." And graduating is definitely important and moving is stressful.

Thanks for the comments!

I'm seeing my physical therapist again tomorrow, it seems like there is a tiny bit of improvement by now, but that might be because I haven't been doing so much exercise wise, so we'll see...

I had tomato soup for lunch and made the granola bars :D So I managed again this week ^_^ On to week... 5 already!

Non bread-based lunches:

I 'have' to have at least 2 during workdays this week (tue/thurs/fri) but also had one today :D Chickpeas, onion, spinach stirfry with a fried egg. It was great :) 

0/2

Push-ups

I graduated to being allowed to do desk push-ups again :D :D :D I did 50 today (3 sets in the sort-of-circuit) (LOL) because I worked out in the morning and then had an appointment with my physical therapist and first she asked me to do 10 wall push ups and then I told her I had done some desk ones and she asked me to show her... Sure ;) She said they're fine, so I'm adding those to my daily recovery exercises (or well, instead of wall push ups). 

Healthy snacks

I had 2 (I know xD two.. yeah, oh well, better than cake etc!) homemade granola bars today.

1/5 (need 1 new idea/recipe + the others can be random healthy snacks I usually eat)

Recovery

So yeah, physical therapy. I DO think there's some improvement (I would rate my pain as a 7/10 now at its worst, it used to be an 8... but not sure whether that's just my perception of it or it's actually improving). I got some exercises to add to my growing repertoire and asked her about the somatics back exercise (just checking to see a) whether she knows about it (I can be a bit mean ;)) and B) whether or not it's ok for me. It's fine :) She asked me whether I thought I'm quite tense and don't know how to relax my muscles properly, I told her 'probably, yes'. We both laughed because we know it's true ;)

Massage felt great today, but she poked my spine a bit more than usual and that was quite sore. Ah well, as long as it works, hm?

Glad to hear your shoulder is getting better, wish it would be a bit quicker about it though :) I'm with you on the tense muscles. People will tell me to relax my muscles and I will be like huh? Which is why the somatics peeked my interest.

Great job on your challenge goals!

You sound very patient about this recovery, so big kudoo's for that :)

Really hope you feel better soon and you can get back to playing, you seemed to be really enjoying it! 

Good you're not having to deal with moving hassle for now, graduating is most important right now.. I'm sure you'll be so happy once that is done! You're really on the right track with that :)

Sign in to follow this