• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Pretzle

Pretzle's first challenge

Hope you're feeling better soon, but it seems you're still doing great :)

As for muscle relaxation... here's an easy trick, bring down your shoulders (aka relax them).

That (at least for me), seems to expand to the rest of my body.

I got that tip when I was having my wisdom teeth removed (surgically with local anesthetic). I'm super scared of needles, but this assistant was all "just relax your shoulders". Pushing my shoulders down, and my whole body was more relaxed!

I have been in so much pain this week, it's just not funny anymore. Monday (work out + physical therapy) seemed to make things a lot worse. I also have had horrible muscle ache in my legs (wtf? Didn't do that many squats/lunges on Monday) so yesterday (when it was work out day) I only did 15 squats and 10 lunges, my recovery exercises and... about 30 minutes of stepmania :) I'm really enjoying that again, so at least that's good. 

I'm scared I'll never get back into BW exercises properly, though. Even if my back recovers (let's hope it will!.. it should, right?) I might be too disappointed because of my loss of progress by not being able to do 'enough' for the last month. I guess it's just a thing of 'having to accept it and start over again'. 

Lunches

I brought some fruit today and sandwiches :D Tomorrow I'll eat something non-bread based for lunch.

Healthy snacks

Uh-oh, sort of forgot about this one again, I don't think I'll make it to 6 total this week... I'll focus on finding a new recipe or kind of snack :)

Research

I had a meeting at uni about the research yesterday. It was useful. I also got some replies from the teachers I e-mailed with questions about my research so I've got some more results to work with now... still need more, though.

Also a bit frustrated because even the teachers don't try to meet the deadlines (as in, they teach us about doing the practical bit of our research NOW while the deadline to hand the whole report in is in 3 weeks time!). No wonder almost no one graduates on time - if even the teachers 'plan' for us to take longer. Seriously dislike things like this... But yeah, at least I'm making progress... And if I can't make it for the graduation ceremony on July 5th then I'll get my diploma in September/October the latest. Even so, definitely annoying!

:( Really hope you'll do better soon!!!

AND JUST GET BACK INTO IT!

I know how it feels to lose (all) your progress, but never give up!!

No matter where you need to start, just be persistent and you'll beyond where you were.

Teachers *shakes head* Good luck!!!

Yeah :) Thanks, I needed that.

For now I'll just focus on recovery and enjoying other ways to be active (I should actually go swimming sometime soon, think that would be nice - and good for my back, too :)) and I'll get back to trying to get proper strong once my back is back to normal. (Lol, 'back back to normal'...)

:( Really hope you'll do better soon!!!

AND JUST GET BACK INTO IT!

I know how it feels to lose (all) your progress, but never give up!!

No matter where you need to start, just be persistent and you'll beyond where you were.

Teachers *shakes head* Good luck!!!

Amen.  And if you ever feel you need someone to kick your, err... I mean give you a little encouragement :D just ask and we'll gladly oblige.  Seriously we're here for you.

Your situation in your uni is definitely annoying.  I'd be pissed off too.  Speaking of annoying teachers, I had a college professor who misplaced my exam paper twice.  And blamed me for it both times.  She also did that to another student - the missing paper was finally found inside the refrigerator in the faculty room.  :livid:

Speaking of annoying teachers, I had a college professor who misplaced my exam paper twice.  And blamed me for it both times.  She also did that to another student - the missing paper was finally found inside the refrigerator in the faculty room.  :livid:

LOL, in the fridge, too :) Some people are just all over the place with their minds aren't they? 

Lunches

For tomorrow I'm not quite sure yet what I'll do - prepare a salad at home or buy something non-bread based at school... hmmm... The salad's there are great but I'm ready to try something else... 

Amen.  And if you ever feel you need someone to kick your, err... I mean give you a little encouragement :D just ask and we'll gladly oblige.  Seriously we're here for you.

Your situation in your uni is definitely annoying.  I'd be pissed off too.  Speaking of annoying teachers, I had a college professor who misplaced my exam paper twice.  And blamed me for it both times.  She also did that to another student - the missing paper was finally found inside the refrigerator in the faculty room.  :livid:

The refrigerator?! Really OMG XD

LOL, in the fridge, too :) Some people are just all over the place with their minds aren't they? 

Lunches

For tomorrow I'm not quite sure yet what I'll do - prepare a salad at home or buy something non-bread based at school... hmmm... The salad's there are great but I'm ready to try something else...

Leftovers can be an option. Exchanging ingredients in salads (if you make one at home).

Just taking random ingredients and calling it lunch could work...

Then again I've eaten some strange stuff for lunch before haha.

Lunches

I ended up bringing three radishes with me as well as a 'krentenbol' (small muesli breadroll) to snack on (hey, those radishes count as a healthy snack!) and had chicken soup and yoghurt for lunch :) 

Healthy snack

I also got out of the bus at the centre to visit 'gooody fooods' and grabbed a small bag of dried mango there as well as two cookies. Cookies you say? Yes! One for me and one for my hubby :) Spelt raisin/cranberry for him, spelt chocolate for me (I let him decide which one he wanted to try ;)). They're definitely cookies but definitely A LOT healthier than some other options (no added sugar etc.) so I'll count these :D 

I guess it's probably about 4/6 healthy snack this week, might even make it :)

Push ups

Okkk so my back seems to be improving a bit *gasp*. It doesn't hurt anymore when I'm on the bus and the bus turns. :) First real 'victory' in this recovery battle. It's a work out day today, though... and I'll do my recovery exercises with some squats and lunges (3 x 25 for the squats and 3 x 20 for the lunges is the goal...). Long weekend so it's ok if I get stupid DOMS again even though it really isn't that much compared to what I did before I got injured :( 

The recovery exercises include 3 x 10 wall/desk push ups... I'll aim for all desk push ups today. (Last time I did 2 x 10 desk and 10 wall during the last round...)

As always I'll keep you guys updated :P (And secretly already thinking about new goals for next challenge... guess I'm hooked.)

Glad your back is feeling a bit better, hope it gets the idea now and soon it will be healed. Glad your hooked and ready to join up for another challenge.

Wait, this was week 5 right? Not six? 

Anyways, we had some dried mango so 5/5 healthy snacks done! WOOT!

Already starting for coming week: I just made these http://www.stumbleupon.com/su/2BuQ9r/minimalistbaker.com/healthy-5-ingredient-granola-bars/ definitely healthier than the granola bars I made last week... and not as tasty (still good, but just not as great). We had one today but the rest are for the coming days so that'll definitely be 1/6 healthy snacks :)

My back is improving :D It's just still really sore sometimes (but not while riding the bus or when simply turning around). Especially after doing the recovery exercises it's quite painful :( I don't think it'll be completely healed before the next challenge starts but who knows... 

Aw Pretzle, you've had some bad luck!! 

Make sure you take enough rest, just remember that when you are healed it'll all come back much quicker than it took in the first place. You know what you are doing now, what is actually possible..and your body remembers! 

I can absolutely understand motivation will drop a bit (or a lot) with these setbacks, but just remember that if you need some inspiration you can always come to this forum! Or come to my gym, maybe we can help you get started again :)

I'm glad you're doing so very well on your other challenges, I hope you still get a feeling of accomplishment from this! 

I wanted to add planks back into my routine today but after reading your post I reconsidered ;) I'll ask my physical therapist about it tomorrow (and I'll start with 10 or 15 seconds if I'm allowed to). Being allowed to do desk push-ups is already helping me feel better about it though, because those make me feel my muscles after working out, too :)

Edit:

Just worked out... I'm really exciting to start increasing reps and weight etc. again... VERY slowly! So I did 24 lunges instead of 22, and added two small water bottles (0.5 kgs) to the shoulder exercises. And even though I had hoped to be able to do more push-ups by now I feel lucky to be able to do 10 desk push-ups in each round without it messing up my back now. I'll get back to proper ones eventually, but I'm quite sure they won't be a part of my next challenge!

I have been in so much pain this week, it's just not funny anymore. Monday (work out + physical therapy) seemed to make things a lot worse. I also have had horrible muscle ache in my legs (wtf? Didn't do that many squats/lunges on Monday) so yesterday (when it was work out day) I only did 15 squats and 10 lunges, my recovery exercises and... about 30 minutes of stepmania :) I'm really enjoying that again, so at least that's good. 

I'm scared I'll never get back into BW exercises properly, though. Even if my back recovers (let's hope it will!.. it should, right?) I might be too disappointed because of my loss of progress by not being able to do 'enough' for the last month. I guess it's just a thing of 'having to accept it and start over again'. 

I've been there, and it does get better. And yes, the loss of progress is frustrating, but it just made me that more determined. Plus I knew I could get there cause I'd already done it once. And I feel like its never really starting over. Because you've already made the commitment to becoming healthier and building muscles and the mindset change is more than half the battle!! :D

And swimming sounds like a wonderful idea!! When my back was hurt, swimming was one of the best activities for me. :)

So, had another appointment at the physical therapist. I asked her whether it was normal to be improving so slowly... she kind of avoided the question, but in the end said 'it depends, at first I did think you'd recover sooner'. Still, there is a lot of improvement (even though I made a weird movement yesterday and it hurt like never before). Overall tightness and pain is definitely improving, so that's good.

I also asked about doing planks (haha she thinks 15 seconds is a long time to hold it... ;)) anyways, I shouldn't do them for now.. but I got a new exercise which is basically half a plank which I can do :D (up to 20 times, hold for 6 seconds... it's like a plank just from the waist up). I can also start adding weights (0.5 kgs, never been so happy about 0.5 kgs ;)) to some of my recovery exercises because they're too easy now without additional weight :) (For now it's for the one I call 'zen exercise' (can't explain it very well, but it's sloooow and looks zen-ish to me). 

Lunches

I had a salad at lunch today (they're just so good, and you can choose your own ingredients so it's different everytime, and only 2 euros!) and this time I had salmon as a topping :D It was very nice!

1/2 non-bread based lunches for the week done

Healthy snacks

Had a homemade healthy granola bar :)1/6 done

Research

I added the questionnaire answers I've gotten so far to two different data matrix (matrixes? matrex? no idea) and e-mailed A HUGE BUNCH of people (other teachers I hadn't approached before, students from my year, colleagues from my last internship and new job.

Job

Not a goal perse, but I had been waiting for almost two months to hear more about a job opportunity for next year and today I finally received an e-mail! I can start 'soon' (probably next week, or the week after that) and I have to go to a meeting tomorrow morning at 8.00 (bleh, early ;)) to get the practical things sorted and discuss my contract etc. For now it's for 4 hours a week, but it's also sort of a test to see whether I fit into the team and everything... If all goes well, I can work there for 3 or 4 days next year (which is the school I really want to work at AND the amount of days I want to work :D So it'd be brilliant!). It'll be a bit busy until the summer (graduating and everything) but as it's an investment for next year (and only 4 hours a week, I mean who am I kidding - I waste more time a week just using Stumble Upon and looking for new recipes etc ;))I'm actually looking forward to it :D

Good to hear you're improving and can add some weight to your exercises!!

Yay for work! I guess in this time you have to be grateful for any job, so I'm glad to hear that's working out so well!

Great to see you kicking butt your first challenge :D

Job

Not a goal perse, but I had been waiting for almost two months to hear more about a job opportunity for next year and today I finally received an e-mail! I can start 'soon' (probably next week, or the week after that) and I have to go to a meeting tomorrow morning at 8.00 (bleh, early ;)) to get the practical things sorted and discuss my contract etc. For now it's for 4 hours a week, but it's also sort of a test to see whether I fit into the team and everything... If all goes well, I can work there for 3 or 4 days next year (which is the school I really want to work at AND the amount of days I want to work :D So it'd be brilliant!). It'll be a bit busy until the summer (graduating and everything) but as it's an investment for next year (and only 4 hours a week, I mean who am I kidding - I waste more time a week just using Stumble Upon and looking for new recipes etc ;))I'm actually looking forward to it :D

Niiice, that's great! :)

Research

E-mailed/facebooked and asked lots of people in person to please please please give me some feedback so I'll have enough data to work with. I've also sent what I have so far to my professor who's being a dear and is going to take a look at it before the official deadline so I'll be able to hand in a better version 1 :) 

Push ups

I've been doing 10 x 3 desk push ups during my work outs and it seems like it's not making my back worse (yay!). Pain still definitely increases after any recovery exercises (even on days when that's all I do) but.. I guess that's normal because it's what the exercises focus on? Anyways, glad where I am atm as far as the push-ups go :) 

Non-bread based lunches

Had another salad (this time with gyros chicken as a topping instead of fish :) Lovely!) so that's 2/2 done for this week, too :D

Healthy snacks

Nothing new I'm afraid, but can't be bothered tbh... (Just snacking on walnuts (and/or yoghurt), fruit, dried fruit and homemade granola bars) I'm not sure I had 6 healthy snacks, but probably more likely it was more as opposed to less :P 

I'm at my parents' place for one night and I'll be at my husband's grandmother's birthday party on Sunday (when I'm sure I'll have some not-so-healthy snacks haha, and I'll enjoy it - (which you should definitely do when you have something unhealthy, otherwise it's silly! :P))

I think it's very nearly time for a summary of this challenge... Only thing that's really just-not-done yet is the research. I think I have been too optimistic by creating a self-imposed deadline a week before the actual deadline... (Better than the other way around!)

Have a great weekend everyone!

So, had another appointment at the physical therapist. I asked her whether it was normal to be improving so slowly... she kind of avoided the question, but in the end said 'it depends, at first I did think you'd recover sooner'. Still, there is a lot of improvement (even though I made a weird movement yesterday and it hurt like never before). Overall tightness and pain is definitely improving, so that's good.

Job

I hope your shoulder/back continues to improve. :) Albeit slowly. Any progress is good.

And that job sounds absolutely wonderful! :D Congrats!

Repost just to finalise this topic :) 

This is going to be a short description because I wrote the whole thing (took me, ehhh... 20 minutes) and then went to look something up in this tab, yeah, called myself an idiot for that.

Exercise:

1 - Push ups - increase them! -> get to 10 x 3 for the beginner bodyweight workout (at 7 now, so should be doable and possible easy) and try to get to 16 consecutive push ups. 

A - Do even better than goal - B reach both - C only reach one - F anything less

Str+ 3 Sta+1 

Before I had to take it easy I quickly made it to first 8, then 9, then 10 push-ups for each round :) I did about 20 consecutive push-ups for the first mini challenge.

Result: A 

Food:

2 - Improve lunches at work. 2 out 3 work lunches should be something not bread based and include veggies and fruit. (Because I have two weeks off during the challenge: eat at least 3 non-bread-based lunches those weeks (easier at home anyway). 

A - managed 2 non-bread based lunches at work each week, B mostly managed 2 (failed max 2 total), C managed most but failed 2-6 meals, D failed 6-8, F anything worse.

Con + 2, Wis + 1

This one was the easiest, it took about 2 weeks of actually thinking about it and creating lunches at home before it became a habit. I also discovered the cheap, healthy and huge salads at my workplace :D 

Result: A

3 - Find one new healthy snack idea/recipe per week - replace one unhealthy snack with a healthy snack each week (so replace minimum of 1 in week one, 2 in week two etc. up to 6 in week six  :))

A - All recipes + replacements B 1 failure C 2-3 failures D 4-6 failures F anything worse

Con + 3 Cha + 1

This one lacked focus. I started out great - even took pictures of all my healthy snacks. That quickly stopped (especially when I had to eat/make more of them each week). During week 6 I kind of forgot about it completely. I still ate my healthy snacks, but I didn't come up with any new ideas. It's still a success - even though I'm eating a biscuit atm - my usual snacks are now banana + PB, some walnuts, pumpkin seeds with raisin (with or without some yoghurt) or some dried fruit or plain nuts :)

Result: B+ 

4 - Lifegoal: finish thesis and practical research (both huge, but doing quite well on both   :))

A - Finish both - C - finish one - F - nothing (if that happens I'll have to be at uni for another year..)

Wis + 3 Cha + 1

Ah... I finished my thesis and handed it in a week and a half before the deadline :) Quite confident it will be sufficient this time around. I haven't finished my practical research just yet. I'm still missing some data (other people need to provide) but I've been working on it a lot. I didn't make my self-imposed deadline of a week before the official deadline (I need to hand it in this Friday) but it's not a complete failure.

Result: B-

'Bonus' goal (not for points): Practice balance by standing while travelling by train (try not to hold walls etc.) and by learning to cycle for at least 15 secs without holding the steering wheel.

Trains are easy now :D I made about 12 seconds of riding my bike without holding the steering wheel but sort of gave up on that by now. I did practice balancing on the jungle gym in the park and really had some fun there!

Overall: B+ 

I get:

str + 3

sta + 1

con + 4.25

wis + 3.25

cha + 1.50

Mini challenges:

I participated in challenge 1, 4 and 6 and got points for all of them :) For challenge 4 I gave up complaining for a week and made 'the ultimate list of what to do when I'm bored/depressed/etc' which is over here. For the last challenge I gave up unhealthy snacks completely (and made the five days). 

I got: 

str + 1

wis + 1

con + 1

level = level+1

I did not completely finish my lifegoal just yet, but I'm confident I'll be able to hand it in before the deadline. I also had to deal with lots of recovery exercises for my back and go to the physical therapist etc. and did so faithfully, I think all of it combined is definitely worth the level. Oh, and I completed my very first challenge! :)

Nice job this challenge - and congratulations on completing your first challenge with such great success! Looking forward to seeing what you'll do in the next one!

You've done great pretzle! I'm especially impressed that you didn't give up on your shoulder/back issues and continued rocking where you could. Hope you'll have better luck next challenge :) Ohhh and i guess then we'll find out how you're doing on graduating!

Haha yeah, definitely. I got a bit of a fright today... was sitting next to two students of another education study and .. well, their research reports definitely looked a bit more impressive. (Then again, looks aren't everything, right?). I'll just do what i can before Friday and hand in the best possible version 1... I'm convinced I'll need to revise it (even if just because of stupid language things or not-so-important layout tidbits, but you know, as long as most of it is ok I'll be fine the second time around - and still be in time to graduate in a few weeks' time (<- that sounds so silly :D).

I have to say I feel a lot less like a rebel than when I started, though... I've been a bit lazy with regard to 'proper' exercise (the stuff that really makes you sweat A LOT) lately. I hate to blame stuff for that, I know I could have found the TIME. Time hasn't been the problem, but I have to say that it's true that all this graduating business is taking it's toll on my willpower/decision making power in other areas of my life. Mentally it's just really quite intensive, even though I'm not all that busy with actually doing things (besides writing my report atm and teaching my usual classes) my head seems a bit too full with all the little things I still need to take care of (like making sure all my credits are actually put into the system by different teachers before the deadline etc. etc.)... So I do blame graduating partly for my inability to force myself to be more active, after all :P

So glad with the diet goals though, they have really changed my habits for the better and that doesn't even take any willpower to continue :)

Sign in to follow this