MasterOfCows Figures Out Stuff

MasterOfCows

I'm baaaaaccckkk.  For another challenge!

*cue drum roll*

I'm excited about this one.

1.  It's all about diet 

Last time, I tracked (ugh) calories and stuff, and figured out where I stand on a normal day.  I'm going to make some changes to normal in the interests of inches lost, while hopefully at least maintaining my current lifts (which aren't huge).  My exercise program will stay the same: basketball on Mondays, weight lifting/light cardio 2 other days.  If I have a spare day to go to the gym, I'm going to be working on some lower weight, higher rep stuff for endurance (think reps/min type of thing).  

I used a couple of different calculators which put my TDEE (sedentary) at 1876 and 2150 (lightly active).  Figuring 2150 for 3 days of the week, and 1876 for the other 4, and I average out at 1993 to maintain.  I'm going to knock that back to a calorie range of 1400-1500 for this challenge.  I'm going to attempt to up protein to 100 g (that's just under 1g/lbm, given my very rough estimate of BF%, and I averaged 76 g last challenge).  

Now, how am I going to make sure this happens?  As it turns out, I despise tracking calories, but will have to man up and just do it.  I'm going to track 3 days/week, except the first week.  One will be a basketball/workout day, one will be a day where I don't do that, and one weekend day to make sure I'm not cheating because it's the weekend.  For the first week, I'm going to track all the days, but I'm going to estimate first.  If my estimates are close, I'm going to move to the 3 day/week plan.  If not, I'll keep tracking every day for the 2nd week and so on.

I'm also going to take weight/measurements at the half way point of the challenge and see if things need adjusting.

Calorie range 1400-1500 avg/week = A

For every 100 cals avg/week over 1500, lose a letter grade.  So if my week average was 1605, I would get a B.

Pts: Wis +2, Con +2

2.  Get back on the wagon

I'm drinking (alcohol) way too many calories.  I love my booze (seriously, you'll take it from me completely when I'm dead), but it was shocking how many extra calories I was actually consuming.  So I'm cutting that by half to start.  Seems like a reasonable beginning.  I think this will work okay with the above goal because it's helping me get halfway to my deficit already!

No more than 1500 cals/week from alcohol = A

Every 100 cals over/week will be a lost letter grade, so basically 2 extra beers will make me fail.  I need to be strict on this.

Pts: Wis +1, Con +2

3.  My body hates me...

So I'm going to focus on mobility.  Mostly hip, but some other leg stuff as well.  I'm not going the "mobility for X minutes" route, because I need to actually just do it before we get all hard core, plus a lot of stuff is so painful that I'm pretty sure if I had to meet a certain amount of minutes, I would do stuff that isn't awful just to hit the time.  And I need to do the awful stuff.  This should also help my squats.

Mobility 6 out of 7 days = A

Every day (besides the one free day) I don't do mobility for any given week will be a lost letter grade.

Pts: Dex +4, Str +1

4.  Stop being so lazy

When I hurt my knee the last time, I couldn't take the stairs.  So I started taking the elevator and just didn't stop.  I need to get back to that while I still can, because our office is moving to the main floor of the building next door in June and I won't have the convenient option anymore.

Take the stairs everyday at work (up and down) = A

Every day I'm at the office that I don't take the stairs for any given week will be a lost letter grade.

Pts: Sta +2, Str +1

You'll notice that I have awarded very few Str points.  This is because I fully expect to lose a bit of ground there while eating at this deficit. I can focus on that once I've got this part under control.  One thing at a time.

I also don't have a life type goal.  This is because things in my life are pretty sweet right now, and really this diet/exercise stuff IS me levelling up my life at the moment.

End of last challenge measurements:

Height: 5'9" 

Weight: 168.2 (+0.8)

Right Calf: 14" (+0.25)

Left Calf: 13.75" (+0)

Right Thigh: 22" (+0.75)

Left Thigh: 22.5" (+1.0)

Hips: 41" (+0.25)

Waist @ belly button relaxed: 36.25" (+0.75)

Waist @ belly button flexed: 34.5" (-0.5)

Right bicep relaxed: 11.5" (+0.25)

Left bicep relaxed: 11.25" (+0.0)

Right bicep flexed: 12" (+0.0)

Left bicep flexed: 12.5" (+0.25)

• Like 1

Great goals! I love that you've built off your previous challenges to make some awesome stuff happen! 

"I'm just going to remember to not eat like an asshole most of the time" - MoC

three words I can sum up everything I've learned about life: one must squat.- Brobert Frost
 Half-Elf Warrior | Current Challenge
 New Battle Log | Old Battle Log
Special thanks to AkLulu for drawing my awesome avatar!

awww.  You guys are the best!   Seriously.  Everyone gets high fives.

So far, in my preliminary estimates, I've been close to the actual values, but not quite as close as I'd like.  There's still time.

I worked out last week, as per usual.  They were pretty sweet workouts.  I'll try to get them posted tonight.  I'm think I'm going to continue pushups once a week and add inverted bw rows as well.  Makes me feel good when I at least do something on the weekend besides being a lazy pants, though if the snow ever melts, the bike will be coming out again.

Diety stuff:

My estimate was 1355

Actual 1390 (83 carb, 75 fat, 81 protein).  Didn't hit the protein, but I was travelling for work, so I ate the free lunch.  What can I say?  Days where I have complete control will be better obviously.  

64 cals from alcohol.

I wasn't hungry yesterday at all, but I made myself eat because I had basketball.  At 10 p.m. Ugh.  Which we only got to play the first half because a girl on the other team had a seizure or something and they didn't want to play anymore after that.  And I haven't been sleeping.  And I left home today and forgot my work laptop.  Got to the office and immediately had to turn around and go home and get it.  The last couple days have been super clustered.

Gonna go stalk some other challenges now!

p.s. Mir - I got your back, baby.

Trust me, if I'm in your part of the country, we are going for beer.  Then I'll help you build a guest igloo.

Fun story, The Buddy, before he was The Buddy, actually built an igloo in the back yard of the place he was living at the time.  Not just a snow cave, but an actual igloo using blocks.  I helped a bit.  It was friggen sweet.

Hell Week all around, it seems...

I don't think the snow's going to melt. Every time it does, it snows again. I'll be hosting Canada Day in my igloo this year, you should stop by...

I always wanted to celebrate Canada Day in an Igloo... Now's my chance!  

MoC:  I looked over your thread three or four times yesterday and kept getting distracted before I'd get around to posting.  Something about having to do work or some such garbage as that...  Anywho, I'm here now!  The goals look good!  I know how you feel about not being able to control what you eat while travelling,  the guys I work with always want the worst possible things when on the road.  I've learned of at least two places that only sell fried food, which I love, but it's pretty much terrible for me all the way around.  

Good luck on this go round, I'll be stalking around a bit for sure! 

The path to Swolehalla is paved with a lot of Swolehate, and you won't get there without being Swole of Spirit too.

Race: Fiendish Blue Extension Cord

Class: Warrior
Links:  MFP  Battle Log  Current Challenge

And I left home today and forgot my work laptop.  Got to the office and immediately had to turn around and go home and get it.  The last couple days have been super clustered.

I have done this.  More than once.  I feel your pain.

Hell Week all around, it seems...

I don't think the snow's going to melt. Every time it does, it snows again. I'll be hosting Canada Day in my igloo this year, you should stop by...

Ha! Same here.  40 degrees today.  12 inches of snow forecasted for tomorrow.  I don't celebrate Canada Day, but if it rolls around and we still have snow, I'll build an igloo in your honor and celebrate it for the first time.

Canada Day in an igloo. I'd take that over 105 degrees and 80% humidity. I far prefer cold. Although, that's easy for me to say because it seems like each winter I think it's going to be worse than it ever actually is.

I'm also counting calories. And I'm also "weighing in" around 1500 calories, with a goal of 100g protein. It's definitely doable. But if the problem is finding the appetite for it (how do people not starve at 1500 (or less) calories - ha! I'm such a wimp!), then that's another story. Mmmmmmm. Food. 

Right now I want chocolate, which doesn't have protein in it anyway. 

Shape-Shifting Ginger
Current Battle Log

2" washers for smaller weight increases

Unless it's chocolate protein powder! That shit tastes like a milkshake (when, of course, mixed with milk). For shizzle.

And I prefer hot to cold...I'm always cold. It sucks.

Level ? Half-Dwarf/Half-Amazon Warrior

STR:21.25 STA:15 DEX: 10.95 CON: 14 WIS:15.5 CHA:17

SWOLE BUCKS: 1

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Unless it's chocolate protein powder! That shit tastes like a milkshake (when, of course, mixed with milk). For shizzle.

And I prefer hot to cold...I'm always cold. It sucks.

I'm with Mir--I've fallen in love with chocolate protein powder (Tera's Whey).  Mix it with unsweetened almond milk?  YUM.

And even though my office has been like a meat-locker all winter, I'd still rather cold to hot.  Please reserve space in the igloo!  

Amazon Warrior
1, 2, 3, 4, 5, Druid Side Project
"All great truths begin as blasphemies."--Annajanska, George Bernard Shaw

Canada Day in an igloo. I'd take that over 105 degrees and 80% humidity. I far prefer cold. Although, that's easy for me to say because it seems like each winter I think it's going to be worse than it ever actually is.

I'm also counting calories. And I'm also "weighing in" around 1500 calories, with a goal of 100g protein. It's definitely doable. But if the problem is finding the appetite for it (how do people not starve at 1500 (or less) calories - ha! I'm such a wimp!), then that's another story. Mmmmmmm. Food. 

Right now I want chocolate, which doesn't have protein in it anyway. 

Check my diary on MFP.  I'm not totally consistent, but I'm trying to do better at tracking.  I'm at 1550, and I don't feel like I starve.  Of course, I did a long stint at 1200, and I did feel deprived then.  Maybe it takes some time to adjust?

I haven't really tried to hit a specific goal yet, so I don't know if I'll be starving at this level.  Lack of sleep + stress = grumpy = don't feel like eating.  It'll pick up though.  

I've got a tight deadline, and I'm just waiting for a girl to call me back.  I can't do much of anything else until that happens, so I guess I'll just hang out here.

On the plus side, most of the work stuff I attend is beef  or at least livestock related, so there's usually meat to eat!

I'm going to try and stay away from powder if I can.  I'd like to just eat food, you know?  But if it comes down to it, thanks for the suggestions!

I already forgot to take the stairs first thing this morning, but I rode the elevator back down, and climbed the stairs properly.  I felt silly, but it was worth it.

Important Information

New here? Please check out our Privacy Policy and Community Guidelines