WOLVERINE: THE MUSICAL

A WORDY INTRODUCTION TO MY 7TH FREAKING CHALLENGE

I will be having abdominal surgery on April 17th.  I know I've been talking about my damn surgery for FOREVER AND A HALF, but this time it's actually happening.  The surgery is routine (for my doctor... not so much for me) and outpatient if it all goes well, but serious.

I'm getting a lot of mixed messages about recovery time.  My doctor says NO LIFTING FOR THE REST OF TIME (I'm paraphrasing here), but we didn't really get into what "lifting" means and I may have been a little (a lot) overeager in my "But when can I work out again???" line of questioning. It's totally within the realm of possibility that she is being conservative in her recovery estimate so that I don't push myself too fast and too far like a jackass (which is something I would totally do).

I have talked to others who have had the same type of surgery and recovery seems to vary wildly based on the sex, age, and health of the person speaking (shocking, I know).  The guy who I talked to who is older and not as active as I am (but healthy) said that he was walking around the next day (not like walking but around the house type stuff) and was tired but functional after about a week.  He couldn't give me a really good estimate on the training because he didn't (doesn't) do much, but was of the opinion that my doc was out of her gourd with her NO LIFTING FOR THE REST OF TIME (paraphrase) estimate.

Needless to say, not really knowing what's coming has played havoc with my goal setting for this challenge.  LAME.  I'm being forced out of my comfort zone a bit on this one as I can't be as specific and planned as I like to be.  DOUBLE LAME.  I suppose working on some flexibility/play-it-by-ear-ness will build character or something...

Blah, blah, blah.  Onto the goals!

WOLVERINE'S GOALS OF WONDER AND DELIGHT (WORKING TITLE)

I have found myself inspired by my fellow Rebels over and over again.  I have learned so much since joining the Rebellion, and I feel like centering this challenge on those that have inspired me would be a cool way to honor all of your places in my journey.

• GOAL 1: ADAPT MY TRAINING AND STAY CONSISTENT

Week 1 (post surgery) workouts will consist of two daily walks.  Walks will increase in length and time as I recover.  I will re-evaluate this goal each week, and adapt my training (CROMAN RED) to what I am capable of at each stage of recovery.  I will not sit on the couch and do nothing.  Each week and with each stage of recovery, I will be consistent (ELASTIGIRL and AROCK10) with my training and follow-through.

Possible Attribute Points: +1STR +2 CON +2 WIS

• GOAL 2: PLAN, TRACK, EVALUATE, AND REPEAT

I will continue my cut for now, but will keep it slow and steady.  I will obsessively regularly track my measurements and diet and continue to take progress photos, so that I have the information that I need to make informed decisions (WALDO) with regard to my diet and training (should I be able to recover enough for a "real" workout).  I will also re-evaluate this goal each week, making sure that the current plan is helping and not hindering my recovery, which takes priority over weight loss.

Possible Attribute Points: +1 CON +1 WIS +1 CHA

• GOAL 3: PRACTICE OPTIMISM

It is okay to be grumpy when life throws you a curveball; it is not okay to wallow.  I will stay positive in tough circumstances (THE WOLF) and I will not talk negatively about myself or complain about my circumstances (DEVYN).  I am allowed to feel badly about being sidelined for awhile, but I need to allow myself to feel that emotion, catalog it, and then let it go.  My wife is going to have a full plate as it is, she does not need a heaping pile of depressed me as an appetizer (or would that be dessert?).  I need to practice happiness, joyfulness, and optimism.  Maybe some will stick.  Now that I think about it... maybe that's how Wolf got that bangin' midsection?

Possible Attribute Points: +1 CON +2 WIS +1 CHA

• GOAL 4: TRAIN THE MIND

I had a revelation recently that the mind can be trained just like the body can be trained (VECTOR).  At every opportunity we are faced with choices.  Red pill or blue pill?  Train or sleep in?  Take the freeway or side streets?  Some choices are moral, some don't really seem to matter in the grand scheme of things.  Take all the emotion and desire out of a situation and it always comes back to a rational, logical choice.

I will be flossing daily, taking out my contacts and cleaning them every night, drinking my 64 fl. oz. of water, side/back sleeping (no stomach!), and not drinking alcohol alone for this challenge.  Why?  Because those are all healthy habits that I tend to slack on and I'd like to rectify that.

I will also drink tea every morning instead of coffee brush my teeth with my left hand every day, and prioritize my left hand in other areas of life throughout the day.

Why?  Because I can.  I don't "want to".  I don't "not want to".  I am making a conscious decision to change a habit that is neither good or bad for the purpose of training my mind to think about habits in rational terms ( a or b ) rather than moral/emotional terms (good or bad).

Possible Attribute Points: +1 STR +1 CON +1 WIS

Wolverine

Level X Mutant

Hilarious! :D

Is that you?

Nope.  I'm much better looking. ;)

Well that's the funniest thing I've seen in a while! 

Agreed.  It has NOTHING to do with my challenge, but it made me laugh so... there ya go!

But can he tabulate?

Nah.  I'm the real deal, he's just a poor imitation.

I am checking out for the evening, but I am very much looking forward to catching up on everyone's new challenge threads when I return!

Wolverine

Level X Mutant

Dude, I love it. Thank you so much for the shoutout :) that means a great deal! Just keep being The Wolverine and you will get that "banging midsection" bro! I'm sending MANY prayers your way, Wolvie, but I know you have the heart to keep this up, man!! You're the mother truckin Weapon X, yo!

WOLF

Wild Wolf

Class: Vigilante/ Height: 6'2 / Weight: 178#

Instagram: @ryanwolfbell / Facebook: Ryan Wolf Bell / Bible App (YouVersion) Ryan Wolf Bell

Current Challenge: Gotham Project Pt. 2

Spoiler

Last Challenge(s): 1/2/3/4/5/6/7/8/9/10/11/12/13/14/15/16

Epic Challenges: Welcome to the Fireteam & Wolfpool 

Gotham Project: 1

Know, O prince, that once the sun burns out and the earth's core becomes solid and cold, there will come a man to provide the endless energy needed to sustain life and for the planets to keep moving. He is the source of light and the warmth of hope back into the hearts of humanity...." - Dark_Raider

A wolf rises in my heart; against my darkness; against my demons; against my despair. I DECLARE WAR!

Romans 8:28 (CSB) We know that all things work together for the good of those who love God, who are called according to His purpose.

I love that video! Ever since Les Mis, I've been impatiently waiting for the Wolverine Musical, so glad to know its in the works :playful: Thanks for the shout out! I love your optimism goal-thats gonna be one of the toughest ever,if your like me and hate sitting around.

Wisdom 22.5   Dexterity 13   Charisma 15   Strength 21  Constitution-13

"Love the Lord your God with all your heart, and with all your soul, and with all your strength, and with all your mind' Luke 10; 27

Good luck on the surgery! 

I switched off of coffee to tea a few months ago and haven't really looked back. I really like Guayaki's Yerba Mate; can be found pretty easily (I get it right at Vons), is delicious and still has a decent caffeine kick.

Also, I can't get any of those songs out of my head. Not complaining though :)

"Before I do anything I ask myself 'Would an idiot do that?' And if the answer is yes, I do not do that thing." - Dwight Kurt Schrute

Level 2 Cossack Assassin

STR: 2.5 DEX: 2.5 STA:CON:WIS:CHA: 5

Ok, so some MD is going to carve on you.  Really?  You sound like no one has ever stuck a knife in you before!  So spend a few weeks staring at a wall, count your breaths, maybe flex in the mirror every day and snuggle with "she who must be obeyed".  Recover for 6 weeks and call it good, lunge into the next challenge with an attitude and a lot of pent up tension.  Tabulate the crap out of the experience and make us all feel the pain.  When you come back, hit it like you always do and make the rest of us work to look good.  Something about this is hard to figure out?  Gimme a break:)

Cro Magnon Assassin

"Hold my beer and watch this..."

:lol: I can watch that video all day. And the lyrics are already stuck in my head: "I'll chop apart that redwood tree/ I'll slice the wings off of a bee/ I'm not a circus freak/ I'm WOLVERINE!"

Maybe we should have a sing along as one of our challenges :playful:

Wisdom 22.5   Dexterity 13   Charisma 15   Strength 21  Constitution-13

"Love the Lord your God with all your heart, and with all your soul, and with all your strength, and with all your mind' Luke 10; 27

Nice goals! I agree with Croman that these 6 weeks constitute a great recovery time, though I'd say 'listen to your body' rather than 'call it good' at the end of it, but then I'm a cautious one with things like this. Staying positive can be the hardest thing of all, but we're all here rootin' for ya, you'll be back at it in no time!

Dare mighty things

Current Challenge

Great video to start this 6 week challenge!

I think your goals are great considering the condition you will be in and it seems that you will be "smart" enough to listen to your body and not hinder your recovery.  

Good luck!

. I am Elder . Woosah . Sunshine . Plants . Fur babies . New book smell . Cinnamon . Pepperoni Pizza .

Love love love that video. Definitely made me smile :)

Also, I think the goals are great! Especially the optimism one. Definitely something I've struggled with over the past couple years with my own health problems. Its great to see you going into this challenge and surgery with such a positive outlook and a take over the world kind of attitude ;)

Level 7 Half-Elf Assassin
STR: 22.5 | DEX: 13.75 | STA: 15.75 | CON: 18.5 | WIS: 17 | CHA: 12

Challenges: First, Second, Third, Fourth, Fifth, Sixth, Unchallenge, Seventh

This is absolutely fantastic!

Thanks, Chris!

HAHA!!! That's awesome Wolverine! Nice work! Good luck on the surgery. I will be rooting for you!  Good luck on your challenge and keep those spirits up!

Thanks, Empeg.  It's gonna be a tough one.  I'm looking forward to watching your progress too. :)

Dude, I love it. Thank you so much for the shoutout :) that means a great deal! Just keep being The Wolverine and you will get that "banging midsection" bro! I'm sending MANY prayers your way, Wolvie, but I know you have the heart to keep this up, man!! You're the mother truckin Weapon X, yo!

WOLF

You are awesome, Dude.  You earned the shoutout. :)

Huh. When I first saw this I thought the title was based off Elmo: The Musical. Too much Sesame Street for me as of late....

Thank God my kid isn't into TV yet... the music is bad enough. ;)

I love that video! Ever since Les Mis, I've been impatiently waiting for the Wolverine Musical, so glad to know its in the works :playful: Thanks for the shout out! I love your optimism goal-thats gonna be one of the toughest ever,if your like me and hate sitting around.

You're welcome. Thanks for being inspiring!

It's amazing to read how much everyone has inspired you. I've only been here for a couple of days, but I can already see how that happened! 

I'll be cheering for you!

Thanks, KB.  The rebels are an awesome bunch.

Wolverine

Level X Mutant

Good luck on the surgery! 

I switched off of coffee to tea a few months ago and haven't really looked back. I really like Guayaki's Yerba Mate; can be found pretty easily (I get it right at Vons), is delicious and still has a decent caffeine kick.

Also, I can't get any of those songs out of my head. Not complaining though :)

Thanks for the tea recommendation!  I'm pretty lost in the tea aisle...

Ok, so some MD is going to carve on you.  Really?  You sound like no one has ever stuck a knife in you before!  So spend a few weeks staring at a wall, count your breaths, maybe flex in the mirror every day and snuggle with "she who must be obeyed".  Recover for 6 weeks and call it good, lunge into the next challenge with an attitude and a lot of pent up tension.  Tabulate the crap out of the experience and make us all feel the pain.  When you come back, hit it like you always do and make the rest of us work to look good.  Something about this is hard to figure out?  Gimme a break:)

Yeah, yeah, yeah... and Croman brings me back down to earth. :) I'm gonna need you to smack me around a bunch this challenge.  Luckily I know you're up to the challenge...

:lol: I can watch that video all day. And the lyrics are already stuck in my head: "I'll chop apart that redwood tree/ I'll slice the wings off of a bee/ I'm not a circus freak/ I'm WOLVERINE!"

Heh.  It's a good one!

Maybe we should have a sing along as one of our challenges :playful:

Yes!! :D

Agreed.

Nice goals! I agree with Croman that these 6 weeks constitute a great recovery time, though I'd say 'listen to your body' rather than 'call it good' at the end of it, but then I'm a cautious one with things like this. Staying positive can be the hardest thing of all, but we're all here rootin' for ya, you'll be back at it in no time!

It will be a delicate balance between listening to my body, not letting myself get lazy, and not pushing myself too hard.  Should be interesting at least.

Wolverine

Level X Mutant

Important Information

New here? Please check out our Privacy Policy and Community Guidelines