Wow, you're doing awesomely to be down to just ibuprofen already! Also, dude, you had SURGERY. Your spreadsheets will have a blip for a very good reason! And I think you're right to be keeping on with your previously-set targets, bodies have all kinds of different reactions to anesthetics and all that. Don't push too hard, you've got plenty of time to get back in the groove.

Level 13 Elven Assassin
Challenges: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | Current
Whatever you can do or dream you can, begin it. Boldness has genius, power and magic in it. - Goethe

I'm a little slow in saying so, but glad you are on the mend. Love how your goal is to be optimistic and cheerful, and of course spend your recovery time planning the most epic workouts ever

Wisdom 22.5   Dexterity 13   Charisma 15   Strength 21  Constitution-13

"Love the Lord your God with all your heart, and with all your soul, and with all your strength, and with all your mind' Luke 10; 27

FOR SERIOUS.  I use Sandman Volumes 1-3, myself, but that's because my wife made me give up my textbooks long ago. ;)

Lol. Wives. I'm such a pack rat in some ways. Especially when it comes to books. I like having my book shelves full. And when I run out of space I just buy a new bookshelf instead of getting rid of books ;)

Surgery is tomorrow morning.  I have to be at the hospital at 6 am; surgery is scheduled for 7:45 am.  First surgery of the day for my doc, which I'm taking as a good sign... she'll be all nice and fresh. ;)  If everything goes well, I'll be out of the hospital and on my way home around 2 pm.  I am looking forward to spending the night in my own bed rather than in the hospital.

I'm feeling worse (physically) than I thought I would, but am staying optimistic.  I've caught myself a couple of times in mid-apology to my wife (sort of a self-hatred "sorry I'm such a burden" kinda thing) and switched it out with gratitude instead.  I think she appreciates taking care of a thankful patient rather than a mopey one.  Keeping myself distracted with "Spartacus" episodes and brainstorming my return to workout greatness... there's a lot of biceps/triceps/bro work in my future.

After both of my surgeries (gallbladder & back) coming home that same day and being able to sleep in my own bed was wonderful. Sleep in a hospital is never very good sleep. When I came home after my gallbladder surgery I had my roommate put on back to the future while I dozed on the couch for the rest of the day. It was nice cause I could wake up for a few min watch part of the movie and then doze back off. Lol. Then the next morning at 6 am I woke up wide awake and watched The Land Before Time just to be completely random. :)

I am officially up to TWO loops around the yard for my twice daily walks.  Woot.

My "recovery room" is pretty removed from the family which has been tough (feels like solitary confinement sometimes), but otherwise spirits are high.  Feeling better every day (though not quickly enough) and am off of the narcotics and onto straight ibuprofen.

Daily walks are an excellent way to start easing back into things! Did them after my back surgery and it was great to just be able to be out in the fresh air and doing something :)

Hopefully you didn't have withdrawal from the narcotics. But already being on ibuprofen is quite impressive! So sooooo glad you are feeling better and that everything went well :)

Level 7 Half-Elf Assassin
STR: 22.5 | DEX: 13.75 | STA: 15.75 | CON: 18.5 | WIS: 17 | CHA: 12

Challenges: First, Second, Third, Fourth, Fifth, Sixth, Unchallenge, Seventh

Hey Dude, no posts for awhile now, everything ok?  Your side of The Schism needs its' High Tabulator back.  Us Chaossin Heretics are undermining the gravity with which others undertake The Lesser Update of The Spreadsheet ritual.  Looking forward to seeing you back in action.  

-Make mine discord!

Cro Magnon Assassin

"Hold my beer and watch this..."

Thanks for checking in, guys!

I am still alive and kicking occasionally walking. Every day the pain lessens and the walks lengthen, but my life is still pretty limited and there isn't much to say.  Woke up.  Took a short walk.  Made some tea.  Sat on my butt.  Took a nap.  Took a short walk.  Made some more tea.  Sat on my butt some more.  Not really the stuff legends are made of. ;)

The good news is that I'm doing really well with my challenge goals.  The surgery has actually made it easier to give up coffee and switch to tea (it's easier/quicker to make and my mind is so pre-occupied with recovery type stuff that it has less time to spend "jonesing" for my daily cup of joe), and I'm so stir crazy from camping out in the recliner that my daily walks are a blessing.  The no stomach sleeping rule hasn't been easy, but as I can't sleep on my stomach due to my incisions... it's not like I have a choice in the matter.

The bad news is that I'm going insane. ;)  My Type A personality does not do well "playing things by ear" and that's pretty much ALL of what my life consists of right now.

When I went into this challenge I knew my training was going be up in the air and that I'd have to wing it day-to-day.  That idea was scary but doable.  I would still have my spreadsheets and tracking and measurements and progress photos to document forward progression.  I had this idea that though I wouldn't be able to move forward with training, I'd be able to move forward with the body recomposition.

Then I had surgery and came home from the hospital.  It seems sort of dumb thinking back on it now, but I was (am?) completely blindsided by the weight gain and the amount of swelling around my midsection.  Of course I was going to gain weight and swell - my body was put through some major trauma - I just didn't put two and two together, I guess.

I know we joke about spreadsheets (or the lack thereof) a lot around here, but they really have been vital to my journey.  They keep me accountable for my actions and show me progress when I feel like I'm not getting anywhere.  Now, for the first time, I'm faced with a situation where ( 1 ) my body is different in health, looks, feeling, and response, and ( 2 ) I have nothing to look at to show me positive momentum.  I still have the "accountability" portion of tracking, but nothing to positively reinforce my actions.  All the guilt, none of the reward.

My challenge within this challenge is finding the things that I can control and controlling them by making the right choices, AND figuring out a way to see progress and momentum in order to stay motivated.  Not sure how to accomplish that second part yet.

Wolverine

Level X Mutant

I'm glad you're health is returning and grieved by your struggles.  Walking is good, movement is life.

Again, might I suggest goals such as meditation, light stretching, and distal static contraction exercises?  (Nothing that should aggravate the wounds to your stomach, except maybe the deep abdominal breathing that can supplement meditation.)

You will be happy to know that while you've been convalescing, I have taken advantage of your absence to shamelessly promote The Schism!  This provides you the opportunity to launch your devastating counter offensive and bring logical analysis back to the Guild.  So now you can cast aside the "guilt" (I've heard of this "guilt", I think its a parent thing.) and embrace the righteous fury of a true crusader (I've dubbed you the "High Tabulator") instead.  Once you've rallied you cause and crushed the rebellion you can call this challenge a win:)  (Of course you realize that no one can truly crush the Discordians, but you can have fun trying:)

Cro Magnon Assassin

"Hold my beer and watch this..."

Hey, props on attempting to keep a forward motion while healing. When I have to have something done of a medical nature, instead of focusing on the inconvenience or obstacles, I kind of like to nerd out like..."My body...science is happening!" I mean, it's not like surgery is something you would generally be able to just experience on a whim, so I am kind of fascinated by the process when I have to go through it. So...that's one way to reframe things.

Also, meditation/visualization goals are another option. And probably a useful one in this situation. Not to load more goals on, but just things to consider trying if they help.

Or "studying up" on things you are interested in doing/trying out once your body is back to full working order. Might keep your mind off of the drudgery and give you other things to look forward to.

Regardless, glad you are doing well, all things considered. Stay awesome.

"Oh, come on! Stake through the heart. A little sunlight. It's like falling off a log."  ~Buffy

Current Challenge

Accountability Group:

Once More With Feeling

Maybe find progress in the smaller picture right now? Just recovering by making the right choices seems like pretty amazing progress for your type A personality! Also.. how about some simple distraction? Play some addictive computer games?

Hang in there! :)

Main Quest: becoming a decent kettlebell lifter and a great coach

Current challenge: KB Girl prepares to move

my instagram - my gym's instagram

You guys are awesome.  Thanks for the well wishes and ideas. :)

SUNDAY'S "I CAN'T STAND IT ANYMORE" WORKOUT

All weights are per dumbbell.

• Warmup

• DB Alternating Curls: 10 lb. x 30 / 15 lb. x 25 / 20 lb. x 20

• DB Standing One-Arm Triceps Extension: 10 lb. x 30 / 15 lb. x 25 / 20 lb. x 30

• DB Palms In Shoulder Press: 10 lb. x 25 / 15 lb. x 23 / 20 lb. x 20

• DB Standing Calf Raise: 10 lb. x 25 / 15 lb. x 25 / 20 lb. x 25

• DB Standing Upright Row: 10 lb. x 30 / 15 lb. x 20 / 20 lb. x 20

• DB Alternating Wrist Curl: 5 lb. x 30 / 10 lb. x 20 / 15 lb. x 20

No core, no lower body, no compound movements.  All bro, all the time.  Figuring out where my strength levels and limitations are.  New challenge goal = add some bulk to them gunz?  A possibility.

I'm exhausted and now camped out in the good ol' recliner, but my brain is a lot less spinny and I feel much better having done SOMETHING.

Wolverine

Level X Mutant

That sounds like a fine way to walk the line between sitting around waiting to heal and going stir-crazy. A little bit at a time can be hard, but just always keep in mind that you'll get back to where you were if you just keep on keepin' on.

You should try some of the toe stuff like Waldo is doing too, you two could make some pinky toe agility videos at the end for comparison :)

Dare mighty things

Current Challenge

Thanks for checking in, guys!

I am still alive and kicking occasionally walking. Every day the pain lessens and the walks lengthen, but my life is still pretty limited and there isn't much to say.  Woke up.  Took a short walk.  Made some tea.  Sat on my butt.  Took a nap.  Took a short walk.  Made some more tea.  Sat on my butt some more.  Not really the stuff legends are made of. ;)

The good news is that I'm doing really well with my challenge goals.  The surgery has actually made it easier to give up coffee and switch to tea (it's easier/quicker to make and my mind is so pre-occupied with recovery type stuff that it has less time to spend "jonesing" for my daily cup of joe), and I'm so stir crazy from camping out in the recliner that my daily walks are a blessing.  The no stomach sleeping rule hasn't been easy, but as I can't sleep on my stomach due to my incisions... it's not like I have a choice in the matter.

The bad news is that I'm going insane. ;)  My Type A personality does not do well "playing things by ear" and that's pretty much ALL of what my life consists of right now.

Always gotta find the silver lining ;) And remember, if you can get through this, you can do anything!!

And you did a great job picking goals that were achievable considering your surgery :)

You guys are awesome.  Thanks for the well wishes and ideas. :)

SUNDAY'S "I CAN'T STAND IT ANYMORE" WORKOUT

No core, no lower body, no compound movements.  All bro, all the time.  Figuring out where my strength levels and limitations are.  New challenge goal = add some bulk to them gunz?  A possibility.

I'm exhausted and now camped out in the good ol' recliner, but my brain is a lot less spinny and I feel much better having done SOMETHING.

Glad you were able to do something without pain :) I think I was more stir crazy before my surgery than after. Just be thankful that you were able to exercise up until the day of your surgery. See more silver linings ;)

Level 7 Half-Elf Assassin
STR: 22.5 | DEX: 13.75 | STA: 15.75 | CON: 18.5 | WIS: 17 | CHA: 12

Challenges: First, Second, Third, Fourth, Fifth, Sixth, Unchallenge, Seventh

You will be happy to know that while you've been convalescing, I have taken advantage of your absence to shamelessly promote The Schism!  This provides you the opportunity to launch your devastating counter offensive and bring logical analysis back to the Guild.  So now you can cast aside the "guilt" (I've heard of this "guilt", I think its a parent thing.) and embrace the righteous fury of a true crusader (I've dubbed you the "High Tabulator") instead.  Once you've rallied you cause and crushed the rebellion you can call this challenge a win:)  (Of course you realize that no one can truly crush the Discordians, but you can have fun trying:)

The new signature suits you:)  Can I be "Croman the Chaossian"?  Huh? Huh?  Can I, can I, can I canIcanIcanIcanI, PLEASE?!

Croman the Chaossian vs Wolverine the High Tabulator .... 

sorry Wolverine, but Entropy reigns....

BlackWidowEowyn

Lvl 6 Hobbit Assassin

"Obstacles can't stop you, problems can't stop you. Most of all, other people can't stop you. Only you can stop you. " – J. Gitomer

"A vision of a champion is someone who is bent over drenched in sweat, at the point of exhaustion, when no one else is watching. "– Anson Dorrance

My kick in the Pants, #1, #2, #3, #4, #5

@missmajachere

You should try some of the toe stuff like Waldo is doing too, you two could make some pinky toe agility videos at the end for comparison :)

This sounds like a good idea! 

Glad you managed to get something done without hurting yourself :)

Main Quest: becoming a decent kettlebell lifter and a great coach

Current challenge: KB Girl prepares to move

my instagram - my gym's instagram

Such a bro-tastic workout. :) It probably doesn't hurt to move a little a bit and get some blood pumping. Being sidelined from exercise sucks, but I've also found I do some of my best planning then. I know it's hard for you to know where you'll really be able to take your body once you're recovered, but you could try to plot out what you'd like to do. Meditating on all I have to be thankful for, and all I hope to achieve really kept me motivated during my "off" times.

That sounds like a fine way to walk the line between sitting around waiting to heal and going stir-crazy. A little bit at a time can be hard, but just always keep in mind that you'll get back to where you were if you just keep on keepin' on.

Stick with the plan. Stick with the plan.  Stick with the plan.  Maybe if I repeat it often enough I'll do it AND I'll believe I won't have lost too much ground. ;)

Pretty good workout!

Thank you, sir.  Feels weird to be doing isolation type stuff again.  Haven't done anything like it in about a year!

You are doing good. Slow and steady.

Thanks for the reminder, Vector.  I'm counting on you to chime in once a week with that reminder.

Always gotta find the silver lining ;) And remember, if you can get through this, you can do anything!!

And you did a great job picking goals that were achievable considering your surgery :)

Glad you were able to do something without pain :) I think I was more stir crazy before my surgery than after. Just be thankful that you were able to exercise up until the day of your surgery. See more silver linings ;)

Damn, SJ.  You have this optimistic thinking stuff down pat.  In your honor... my silver lining bullet list:

• I went into surgery as healthy as I possibly could.
  • Surgery went really well.
  • It's been less than a week since I was under the knife and I'm already working out again (albeit a limited workout).
  • I have an awesome wife, and she has made my recovery as easy as it could be.
  • I have awesome NF buddies who remind me of what's important.
  • I have a job that allows me to work from home so that I can take it easy but not get too far behind.

Croman the Chaossian vs Wolverine the High Tabulator .... 

sorry Wolverine, but Entropy reigns....

Traitor.

I'm surprised non of that torqued you abs, good for you!  Glad you head is clearing, no fun revolting against a tyrant who's not at the top of his oppressive game:)

Everything was done standing and SUPER controlled.  I felt some of it in my upper abs (one-arm triceps extension, especially), but nothing in the lower portion, which is what I have to look out for.  Basically, everything in this picture below the stomach is what is affected and I have to avoid working/tweaking.

Wolverine

Level X Mutant

Important Information

New here? Please check out our Privacy Policy and Community Guidelines