Glad you're doing okay, High Tabulator.

Slow and steady, my friend. Slow and steady.

Thanks, Riot.  I'm working on it!!!

This sounds like a good idea! 

Glad you managed to get something done without hurting yourself :)

Thanks!

I think I'll leave the crazy isolation work to Waldo.  I've got plenty of weaknesses to knock off before I get to my toes... ;)

Such a bro-tastic workout. :) It probably doesn't hurt to move a little a bit and get some blood pumping. Being sidelined from exercise sucks, but I've also found I do some of my best planning then. I know it's hard for you to know where you'll really be able to take your body once you're recovered, but you could try to plot out what you'd like to do. Meditating on all I have to be thankful for, and all I hope to achieve really kept me motivated during my "off" times.

IKR???  I'm gonna have to get one of those skinny muscle tanks if this keeps up...

I've been doing a lot of plotting, but not a lot of meditating/being thankful.  That's a good reminder. Sammiejune had a similar suggestion, and as you are both kick ass... I should probably listen to you.

I came to the realization this morning that a lot of what I'm struggling with is vanity.  I've been working really hard at getting my six pack abs and I was so close that I could taste it.  Now... now my stomach looks like I've just finished a keg of beer... on my own... in 15 min.  A slight exaggeration, I'm sure, but that's sure what it feels like.  All my definition is just gone, and there's absolutely nothing I can do about it.  In my head I know that if I stick with my plan, the swelling will go down, my bodyfat will lower, and that my rockin' midsection will appear, BUT that knowledge hasn't made it to my heart yet.

I'm working on it, though. :)

Wolverine

Level X Mutant

MONDAY'S "NO PAIN NO GAIN NO STRAIN" WORKOUT

All weights are per dumbbell.

• Warmup

• Alternating Hammer Curl: 25 LB. X 11LR / 15LR / 16LR (42)

• Lying Triceps Extension: 25 LB. X 12 / 10 / 9 / 7 / 7 (45)

• Alternating Front/Side Raise: 10 LB. X 13FS / 13FS / 12FS / 16FS (54)

• One-Leg Standing Calf Raise: 21LR / 21LR / 20LR (62)

• Shrug: 25 LB. X 30 / 30 (60)

• Palms-down Wrist Curl: 10 LB. X 15LR / 12LR / 13LR (40)

Wolverine

Level X Mutant

Ok, now that you seem to be out of the woods (and wallowing in self pity), tell us some gory details!  Like, how big is the scar?  Is this a real surgery, or did you have a mole removed?  Do we get to see pictures?  Oh boy!  Pictures!!!!  (By the way, I tipped that beer for you.  Funny how it hits you hard after a week of fasting:)

Cro Magnon Assassin

"Hold my beer and watch this..."

I think I'll leave the crazy isolation work to Waldo.  I've got plenty of weaknesses to knock off before I get to my toes... ;)

Nonsense.

Seriously though, I feel the lack of use of my left little toe, and weakness on that side of my left foot in general is a major contributer to the whole host of issues that my left leg has that my right doesn't.

After doing pretty much single limbed work only for nearly a year and a half, and always copying the weaker leg's workout with the stronger, plus doing extra work on the weaker leg only, differences that remain, and fairly drastic differences I might add, are tough to explain.

It honestly never would have occurred to me if it weren't for my forearms.  Attacking the splints ever more and more aggressively led me to really heavy finger strengthening, and that work led to some awesome strength gains and more importantly, significant size gains in the forearms.  And to top it off, the right-left arm size gap has closed immensly.  Overall I feel finger strengthening has been the key to it all.

I always have gotten the sense that there is a muscle working on the right that just isn't working on the left, though for the life of me I couldn't pinpoint what it was.  I've gone so far as looking at leg anatomy and trying to id each muscle working, but I always concentrated above the knee.  This only shows up in really particular places.  Like shrimp squats.  Its downright wacky, I can bang them out without issue in the right.  I've never tested it but I have no doubt that I could do double digits.  On the left I can barely get out of the hole.  Once up and moving though I'm fine and the left isn't much weaker.  Its that initial tilt forward to get the knee off the ground that I just can't do on the left, but its smooth and effortless on the right.  I can feel my outer toes fire hard on the right at that point, on the left, nada.  I can't even do it if I try.

But the big thing is calf size.  There is a very noticable difference between them.  Doing calf raises with the left did nothing to fix the problem.  The size difference was a clue as to where the unused/excessive weakness between my legs is.  However there is not a strength difference.  With calf raises.  If anything my left is actually stronger.

But it was the finger work that made the light bulb go on.  The calves don't just move the ankles, they also move the toes, just like the forearms move the wrists and the fingers.  Calf raises were a waste of time, that isn't where the weakness was.  When I figured out the major, major, major difference between the ability to move and use my toes right to left, I think I finally pinpointed the source of all my movement issues on the left and the root cause of left to right strength imbalances.

It may seem like a silly goal, but I think that it is actually one of my more important goals.  To me at least it seems like a fairly profound discovery.

currently cutting

battle log challenges: 19,18,17,16,15,14,13,12,11,10,9,8,7,6,5,4,3,2,1

don't panic!

Waldo:  You may be on to something with the digit theory.  In general though, are you right handed?  Right handers tend to suffer more from bilateral dissymmetry than lefties.  Lefties have to cross over more in a right hand dominated world.  The point is, your right foot is locked into more action than your left.  Drive a lot?  Think of how much you use your right foot compared to your left.  Not a big issue until you start working on your second or third decade of driving.  Driving is just one example of many.  And then the dissymmetry leads to all sorts of alignment issues from bottom to top.

Cro Magnon Assassin

Waldo speaks the truth. Once I started on fingertip planks and fingertip knee pushups, grip strength/endurance went way up and the carpal tunnel has been silent for months (knock on wood).

Keep rocking those isolation workouts, Wolverine! Break out the Jane Fonda and if nothing else, you'll come out of this with some epically sized assets.

Train hard. Drink tea.

Damn, SJ.  You have this optimistic thinking stuff down pat.  In your honor... my silver lining bullet list:

• I went into surgery as healthy as I possibly could.
  • Surgery went really well.
  • It's been less than a week since I was under the knife and I'm already working out again (albeit a limited workout).
  • I have an awesome wife, and she has made my recovery as easy as it could be.
  • I have awesome NF buddies who remind me of what's important.
  • I have a job that allows me to work from home so that I can take it easy but not get too far behind.

This is great!

I came to the realization this morning that a lot of what I'm struggling with is vanity.  I've been working really hard at getting my six pack abs and I was so close that I could taste it.  Now... now my stomach looks like I've just finished a keg of beer... on my own... in 15 min.  A slight exaggeration, I'm sure, but that's sure what it feels like.  All my definition is just gone, and there's absolutely nothing I can do about it.  In my head I know that if I stick with my plan, the swelling will go down, my bodyfat will lower, and that my rockin' midsection will appear, BUT that knowledge hasn't made it to my heart yet.

I'm working on it, though. :)

You'll be able to work really hard again really soon, but for now you ARE still working on it by recovering as best as possible. You got this :)

Things that come so quickly usually go away again pretty quickly too. 

Main Quest: becoming a decent kettlebell lifter and a great coach

Current challenge: KB Girl prepares to move

my instagram - my gym's instagram

Ok, now that you seem to be out of the woods (and wallowing in self pity), tell us some gory details!  Like, how big is the scar?  Is this a real surgery, or did you have a mole removed?  Do we get to see pictures?  Oh boy!  Pictures!!!!  (By the way, I tipped that beer for you.  Funny how it hits you hard after a week of fasting:)

No gruesome scar, thankfully.  Qualified for laparoscopic surgery.  Four small scars, and one is in my bellybutton so it won't even show once I'm all healed up.  The picture on the right on this page is pretty much the layout of my scars, except I have one less on my left side.  "Progress" pictures will be coming soon.

Nonsense.

It may seem like a silly goal, but I think that it is actually one of my more important goals.  To me at least it seems like a fairly profound discovery.

Nah.  Not silly.  I have yet to see a silly goal from you.  I simply have no major (or even moderate) performance asymmetry yet.  "Yet" being the operative word here. ;)  As my training progresses I will reach a point where imbalance of some sort prevents me from reaching my goals.  Just haven't gotten there yet.

Waldo speaks the truth. Once I started on fingertip planks and fingertip knee pushups, grip strength/endurance went way up and the carpal tunnel has been silent for months (knock on wood).

Keep rocking those isolation workouts, Wolverine! Break out the Jane Fonda and if nothing else, you'll come out of this with some epically sized assets.

I couldn't remember if Jane Fonda was the booty workout or something else.  A quick Googling came up with this gem:

It’s important to do both cardio (aerobic) as well as resistance exercises. Aerobic activity is the only thing that gets rid of fat from all over your body including the marbled fat deep inside your muscles — dieting alone can’t do this.

Lord.

This is great!

You'll be able to work really hard again really soon, but for now you ARE still working on it by recovering as best as possible. You got this :)

Things that come so quickly usually go away again pretty quickly too. 

Thanks, KB.  Gotta keep my eyes on the prize!!!

Wolverine

Level X Mutant

Doesn't look like you've lost much ground, if any.  Glad you weren't gutted like a deer.  Looks like your innards took a little stress from being expanded by the gas and moved about by the instruments, but overall a very gentle procedure.  No wonder you're already moving around so well.  Good for you:)

Cro Magnon Assassin

Doesn't look like you've lost much ground, if any.  Glad you weren't gutted like a deer.  Looks like your innards took a little stress from being expanded by the gas and moved about by the instruments, but overall a very gentle procedure.  No wonder you're already moving around so well.  Good for you:)

I've gained about 3" across the board on my waist measurements.  Just... puffy all over.  But you're totally right... thank God for little telescopes and attached cameras. ;)

Nice work Wolverine. Your still looking pretty good dude.

Thank you, sir!  I know we are all our own harshest critics.  Being able to work out some and check in with you guys here on the boards have been lifesavers!

Love the steri-strips in the photo.

Guaranteed that you'll look back at this photo amongst a long line of others, and smile.

Thanks, CP.  I do believe you are right!

Wolverine

Level X Mutant

TUESDAY'S "PLAY IT AGAIN, SAM" WORKOUT

All weights are per dumbbell.

• Warmup

• DB Alternating Curls: 25 lb. x 16 / 14 / 12 (42)

• DB Standing Triceps Extension: 25 lb. x 25 / 25 / 25 (75)

• DB Palms In Shoulder Press: 25 lb. x 20 / 17 / 13 (50)

• DB Standing Calf Raise: 25 lb. x 30 / 25 / 25 (80)

• DB Standing Upright Row: 25 lb. x 15 / 15 / 13 (43)

• DB Alternating Wrist Curl: 20 lb. x 20 / 15 / 15 (50)

Wolverine

Level X Mutant

Glad that you are feeling better, I totally understand the stir crazy-Ness and the disappointment of suddenly having your body rebel like that. After having my second baby 3 years ago I went nuts. I knew I wasn't going to be magically skinny just because I only gained 20 pounds during pregnancy but I was upset by the shape I was in. And then being told no exercise for 6 week? Pfft. By the time my son was a month old I was nearly half way through my first couch 2 5k attempt hhaha.

Just remember the weight gain is most likely a mix between water weight and gas from the surgery. A month or so from now you'll be back closer to where you were anxious you'll at least no longer look like you swallowed a basketbAll! I'm glad you found a Way to expend some energy!!! Keep focusing on healing :)

Level 10 Wandering Nord

Constitution: 15.5 Strength: 14 Wisdom: 17.5 Stamina: 12.25 Dexterity: 2 Charisma: 8
Current Challenge: Picking Up The Pieces

Damn, SJ.  You have this optimistic thinking stuff down pat.  In your honor... my silver lining bullet list:

• I went into surgery as healthy as I possibly could.
  • Surgery went really well.
  • It's been less than a week since I was under the knife and I'm already working out again (albeit a limited workout).
  • I have an awesome wife, and she has made my recovery as easy as it could be.
  • I have awesome NF buddies who remind me of what's important.
  • I have a job that allows me to work from home so that I can take it easy but not get too far behind.

Very glad to help!! This list you put together is amazing :D I might have gone crazy myself for the past couple years if it wasn't for finding all those silver lining ;) Glad to pass on some kind of wisdom. Lol

Nah.  Not silly.  I have yet to see a silly goal from you.  I simply have no major (or even moderate) performance asymmetry yet.  "Yet" being the operative word here. ;)  As my training progresses I will reach a point where imbalance of some sort prevents me from reaching my goals.  Just haven't gotten there yet.

So I have to ask... can you move your pinkie toes? The message boards are dying to know (or at least I am) Lol

And we are really our own toughest critics. When I started making progress I could feel it in the way my clothes fit and the way I felt but it took me a really long time to be able to see it in my own pictures. I think you are looking pretty darn good for just having had surgery!!

Level 7 Half-Elf Assassin
STR: 22.5 | DEX: 13.75 | STA: 15.75 | CON: 18.5 | WIS: 17 | CHA: 12

Challenges: First, Second, Third, Fourth, Fifth, Sixth, Unchallenge, Seventh

Laproscopic ( or Labrodoodlic, as I called it when my wife had it ), seems to be a great step forward with modern medicine. Recovery times seem faster, etc. etc.

Glad you're feeling better. How long does the doctor think it'll take for you to be able to workout again?

Level 2 Android Assassin

STR: 4.75 DEX: 3.75 STA: 3.75 CON: 2 WIS: 4 CHA: 3

Fitocracy | Challenge Log - 1 | Food Diary

@john_anderson

That's one great progress picture, considering you just had your abdomen inflated with gas!  I imagine it will feel a lot better once you can start moving the area around again.

I'm sorry about the stir-crazy feelings -- I know them well! -- but I'm really glad you're pulling through so well.  Surgery is such a pain.

Level Four Mandalorian Assassin

| STR: 8 | DEX: 7.5 | STA: 12 | CON: 8 | WIS: 7.25 | CHA: 6.75 |

| First Challenge | Second Challenge | Third Challenge |

You can't look dignified when you're having fun

My sister had something similar to you a while back, though I don't recall her saying anything about being puffed up like a puffer fish. She definitely had a similar incision pattern, she can't handle blood or anything like that, especially her own, so she made me deal with putting on Band-Aids and making sure there was no inflammation or infection (there was not).  

She felt more or less like crap for the first week after, and then quite quickly and steadily felt more like herself thereafter (she was back at work, which involves being on her feet a lot, after 1 week), and was right as rain in about 3 or 4 weeks. She took it slow in terms of her workouts, and really listened to her body about what she could and could not do at first, but now she's back to rockin' her workouts (she's doing crazy high intensity stuff that would leave me gasping and/or crying on the floor).

Which is all to say, you shall be back at it in no time. And I agree with the consensus that you're lookin' great for just having had surgery, I too was imagining something shark-attack-esque...

Dare mighty things

Current Challenge

They call it minor surgery... but that's only when it's on someone else ;)

I also was visualizing shark attack type wounds... you look great!

ahh you'll be back to your feats of epicness in no time! It seems like you are being careful but still doing what you can. I totally sympathize with the going-crazy-from-sitting-still syndrome.... as i live with the affliction.

or maybe its just called ADHD

anyway Keep up the good attitude! :) 

BlackWidowEowyn

Lvl 6 Hobbit Assassin

"Obstacles can't stop you, problems can't stop you. Most of all, other people can't stop you. Only you can stop you. " – J. Gitomer

"A vision of a champion is someone who is bent over drenched in sweat, at the point of exhaustion, when no one else is watching. "– Anson Dorrance

My kick in the Pants, #1, #2, #3, #4, #5

@missmajachere

Damn, Wolvie! Glad to see ya recovering like a CHAMP!! That brings a HUGE smile to this ugly mug of mine! Sammie has some really good points, so glad you could make a silver lining list in honor of that!! You should go watch the trailer for The Wolverine to get hyped up for your next "no strain" workout :)

Damn, Wolvie... proud of you dude

WOLF

Wild Wolf

Class: Vigilante/ Height: 6'2 / Weight: 178#

Instagram: @ryanwolfbell / Facebook: Ryan Wolf Bell / Bible App (YouVersion) Ryan Wolf Bell

Current Challenge: Gotham Project Pt. 2

Spoiler

Last Challenge(s): 1/2/3/4/5/6/7/8/9/10/11/12/13/14/15/16

Epic Challenges: Welcome to the Fireteam & Wolfpool 

Gotham Project: 1

Know, O prince, that once the sun burns out and the earth's core becomes solid and cold, there will come a man to provide the endless energy needed to sustain life and for the planets to keep moving. He is the source of light and the warmth of hope back into the hearts of humanity...." - Dark_Raider

A wolf rises in my heart; against my darkness; against my demons; against my despair. I DECLARE WAR!

Romans 8:28 (CSB) We know that all things work together for the good of those who love God, who are called according to His purpose.

Glad that you are feeling better, I totally understand the stir crazy-Ness and the disappointment of suddenly having your body rebel like that. After having my second baby 3 years ago I went nuts. I knew I wasn't going to be magically skinny just because I only gained 20 pounds during pregnancy but I was upset by the shape I was in. And then being told no exercise for 6 week? Pfft. By the time my son was a month old I was nearly half way through my first couch 2 5k attempt hhaha.

Just remember the weight gain is most likely a mix between water weight and gas from the surgery. A month or so from now you'll be back closer to where you were anxious you'll at least no longer look like you swallowed a basketbAll! I'm glad you found a Way to expend some energy!!! Keep focusing on healing 

Thanks for the reminder.  It's tough not seeing the scale go down when I'm doing the right things, BUT I know in my head that the swelling/gas/etc. is out of my control.  Gotta let go of the scale and focus on what is in my power - positive thinking, healthy activity, and a good diet - so that when my basketball deflates those lower abs will pop. ;)

So I have to ask... can you move your pinkie toes? The message boards are dying to know (or at least I am) Lol

Yup... on both feet.  Though I must say that my right (dominant) side is much better at it than the left!

Damn I know it doesn't feel that way, but you're still looking very good! Especially for someone who just had surgery. You'll be back where you were in NO time 

Thanks, KB!  I'll shamelessly horde your praise. :)

Looking way better than I expected. I was seeing shark attack in my mind.

Thanks, Vector!  I gotta remember that what I see isn't what everyone else sees.  All I see when I look in the mirror is a basketball with a couple of holes in it. ;)

Laproscopic ( or Labrodoodlic, as I called it when my wife had it ), seems to be a great step forward with modern medicine. Recovery times seem faster, etc. etc.

Glad you're feeling better. How long does the doctor think it'll take for you to be able to workout again?

Well, she suggested I wait 4-6 weeks, but did cave a little when I told her that I'd be careful to avoid core/lower body work.  Follow-up appointment is 4 weeks after surgery.  No lower body/core work until then, but I'll continue the vanity work and start adding in some compound upper body stuff in the next couple of days.  I have to be careful to listen to my body.  Push-ups will be too core focused I think, but I may be able to get away with the dumbbell chest press, for example.  We'll see. :)

That's one great progress picture, considering you just had your abdomen inflated with gas!  I imagine it will feel a lot better once you can start moving the area around again.

I'm sorry about the stir-crazy feelings -- I know them well! -- but I'm really glad you're pulling through so well.  Surgery is such a pain.

Thanks, Uber!  Surgery is most definitely a pain.  Pun intended? ;)

My sister had something similar to you a while back, though I don't recall her saying anything about being puffed up like a puffer fish. She definitely had a similar incision pattern, she can't handle blood or anything like that, especially her own, so she made me deal with putting on Band-Aids and making sure there was no inflammation or infection (there was not).  

She felt more or less like crap for the first week after, and then quite quickly and steadily felt more like herself thereafter (she was back at work, which involves being on her feet a lot, after 1 week), and was right as rain in about 3 or 4 weeks. She took it slow in terms of her workouts, and really listened to her body about what she could and could not do at first, but now she's back to rockin' her workouts (she's doing crazy high intensity stuff that would leave me gasping and/or crying on the floor).

Which is all to say, you shall be back at it in no time. And I agree with the consensus that you're lookin' great for just having had surgery, I too was imagining something shark-attack-esque...

Was her surgery colorectal as well?  I'd be interested to know how long until she felt like she was 100% and able to push herself in her workouts again...

Great idea to write out what you have to be thankful for!

All credit for that one goes to SammieJune!

They call it minor surgery... but that's only when it's on someone else 

I also was visualizing shark attack type wounds... you look great!

ahh you'll be back to your feats of epicness in no time! It seems like you are being careful but still doing what you can. I totally sympathize with the going-crazy-from-sitting-still syndrome.... as i live with the affliction.

or maybe its just called ADHD

anyway Keep up the good attitude! 

Agreed.

I do look like I've been attacked by a shark!  A very tiny one... ;)

Will do!

Damn, Wolvie! Glad to see ya recovering like a CHAMP!! That brings a HUGE smile to this ugly mug of mine! Sammie has some really good points, so glad you could make a silver lining list in honor of that!! You should go watch the trailer for The Wolverine to get hyped up for your next "no strain" workout 

Damn, Wolvie... proud of you dude

WOLF

Big Bad!  Thanks, duder!  I'm giving myself a B- for my "think like wolf" positivity for the first week, but I'm getting better at it.  I'll have that bangin' midsection if it's the last thing I do... ;)

Wolverine

Level X Mutant

Important Information

New here? Please check out our Privacy Policy and Community Guidelines