ScurvySpider will Straighten Up (and Fly Right)

ScurvySpider

Week 2 (Apr22-28), Check In # 1 (Wed, Apr 24)

@ Chanda:  While looking up “let me in’s†I also found “let me up’s†both of which I will try.  Thank you.

@ Brian:   I believe you.   I also ran across this article from the New York Times (Oct 2012) called “Why Women Can’t Do Pull-Upsâ€

http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2012/10/25/why-women-cant-do-pull-ups/

but instead of discouraging me, it reinforces my idea that it’s a worthwhile goal.

@ Chanda:   Until yesterday I didn’t even realize I do clench my jaw.  Then caught myself doing it in traffic, more than once.

There are several really painful points in my Masseters, which is supposed to mean they really need loosening.

@ UberTumbleweed:  10 years is horrible!  Glad you found the cure, and thanks for sharing.  Since so far nobody I know had heard of trigger points, I sometimes feel a little “out there†exploring this on my own.

@ Hiraedd:  Masseter massage is partly done from inside the mouth.  While doing this, I thought of you, wondered if I should multitask by standing on one leg... decided I’d hurt myself if I went off balance.  But I don’t see why I can’t do a lower body stretch at the same time.

Level 3 Fox DruidSTR +4 / DEX +5 / STA +3  / CON +2 / WIS +7 / CHA +2

"If you plan to face tomorrow, do it soon."  (G. Lightfoot)

Masseter Mini-Update:  Twice now it appears I resolved a stuffy nose with a massage of the masseter.  So I’m tentatively very excited.

Muscle of the Week for upcoming Week # 3 :  Scalene.

Scalene nerd trivia:    When we breathe too shallowly, it’s our little scalenes who get forced to do the job (breathing*) meant for the diaphragm.

Scalenes refer pain to:   chest & back + arm & hand.

Misdiagnoses include: angina & ruptured disc +  tennis elbow & carpal tunnel.  !!!

I’ve struck gold with this one:  the scalenes unmistakably shoot pain down the shoulder when I press on them.

*or in the old-old Steve Martin joke -- singing.

@allirep:  thank you.  They're fading already so I guess I got off easy.

Grades for Week # 2 (Apr 22-28)

Fitness Goal # 1 -- Avoid White Powder.

Grade=Flaming Triple-F.

BUT MAY I REMARK:  By striving for perfection and failing, I still achieved improvement.  Like, 1 tablespoon of jam in plain yogurt, compared w/ a donut.

They’re equal in sugar but not in flour (or fat).

I was aware this goal would require extra planning & preparation.  I wasn’t up for that this week, like, I  let myself run out of fresh fruit for breakfast.

But as the shingles begin to resolve, I have a renewed zest for tackling it again.

Fitness Goal # 2 -- Move at the Office.

[goal: Stretch/Move 20x/day, all 5 working days]:::  Mon=0=sick day exemption.  Tue=10=C. Wed=14=C.  Thur=12=C. Fri=20=A.

Fitness Goal # 3 -- Exercise outside the Office.

3a.  Bent Rows [goal: 3 sets of 8, 3x a week]:::  F for all 3 days.

3b.  Free Choice [goal: 30 min. 5x a week]:::  Mon & Wed = F.  Fri=30=A.

Level Up -- Self-Massage.

[goal 15 min., 5 days a week] Dedicated time to studying, practicing, and doing.  Grade=A+.

I used the theracane on my back for about 2 minutes, and my back popped audibly 4 times in a row, in 4 different places, as I got into bed.

I assume that’s a good sign.  No masseuse ever got 4 pops out of my back in 1 session.

Shingles?  Oh no!!  Glad to hear they're fading already, and another great week.  I love how positive you are, even when things aren't going according to plan, and how you're not letting yourself off the hook so easily -- (exercising while you have shingles, for example)!!  At this rate, we're going to have to mandate an increase in your CHA stats :D

Hiraedd the Twice Risen:

Hamadryad; Pilgrim

battle log

Glad your shingles are getting better. And look to ways you can adjust your first goal to allow for success. An F should only come into play if you are not improving, and it sounds like you are improving.

Adapt and Thrive!

level 10 Half Ogre Ranger

Healers Brigade

1st  | 2nd | 3rd | 4th | 5th | 6th | 7th | 8th | 9th | 10th | 11th | 12th | 13th | 14th | 15th | 16th | 17th | 18th | 19th | 20th | 21st | 22nd | 23rd | 24th | 25th | 26th | 27th

Current

@ Hiraedd:  now if that ain't the pot, speaking to the kettle, you cheerleader you.

@ GoodDoug:  You’re right again, thanks again.  Next time I’ll allow for nonperfection, like maybe 80% compliance.

@ LuckyYou:   No new muscle for this week:  I hit the jackpot with the scalenes.  Mine are so sore, and so tight, that I can't believe I never pinpointed them before even w/o the map & flashlight.

Grades for Week # 3 (Apr 29-May 5)

Level Up -- Self-Massage.

Grade=C.

I put in the time, but it was more reading & studying, than actually doing.

Fitness Goal # 1 -- Avoid White Powder.

Grade=Incomplete.  I failed to log & count.  Actually I’m abandoning this goal for the rest of this challenge.

Am not discouraged, though.  I know I can whip it eventually.

Fitness Goal # 2 -- Move at the Office.

[goal: Stretch/Move 20x/day, all 5 working days]:::  Mon=17=B.  Tue=16=B. Wed=22=A+. Thur=16=B. Fri=12=C

Fitness Goal # 3 -- Exercise outside the Office.

3a.  Free Choice [goal: 30 min. 5x a week]:::  Mon=60=A+. Tue=40=A. Fri=30=A.

3b.  Bent Rows [goal: 3 sets of 8, 3x a week]:::  A.

I’m so pleased.  I bought a 5-pound dumbbell.  Surprised to find it felt light as air, so, I had to immediately upgrade to 10. :positive:

This means:   I’m still in the pre-beginner stage for every single workout on this site!!  Am not discouraged, and here’s why:

It also means:  measurable progress.

The previous time I started with dumbbells, I had to start with 2 pounds, which I know is ridiculous.  But 5 pounds did not feel like air to me then.

I owe this progress to NF challenges which helped me stick with a program of (bent-knee) push-ups.

I’m so pleased.  I bought a 5-pound dumbbell.  Surprised to find it felt light as air, so, I had to immediately upgrade to 10. :positive:

This means:   I’m still in the pre-beginner stage for every single workout on this site!!  Am not discouraged, and here’s why:

It also means:  measurable progress.

The previous time I started with dumbbells, I had to start with 2 pounds, which I know is ridiculous.  But 5 pounds did not feel like air to me then.

I owe this progress to NF challenges which helped me stick with a program of (bent-knee) push-ups.

Yay! Progress! I'm doing a happy dance for you. That's double what you thought you could do - which is huge!

Wandern
Wood Elf Druid
Level 10
STR 15 | DEX 19 | STA 18 | CON 16 | WIS 22 | CHA 20
Current Challenge: Focuses on Fitness 

Old Challenges 1110 9 876543, 2, 1

Thanks, you guys, and I MEANUT.

Grades for Week # 4 (May 6-May 12)

I'm marking all F grades.

I did exercise, did stretch, did study, and did even keep mindful of the poison white powder -- but failed to log / track.

Still undeterred. Back on track with the logging, today. Let's see if this week can be all A's.

Hey!  I helped somebody this week, as a direct result of the massage component of this challenge !!   I saw a friend of my daughter's on the street and gave him a ride.  He'd just been to see the dentist for a terrible toothache -- dentist said the tooth was fine, the problem was clenching of the jaw muscle. He hadn't mentioned the horrible deep inner ear itch to the dentist, assuming it wouldn't be connected to the tooth... which is technically correct.  But it does connect to that clenchy jaw.  So loosen up those jaws, y'all's.  :livid:

Hey!  I helped somebody this week, as a direct result of the massage component of this challenge !!   I saw a friend of my daughter's on the street and gave him a ride.  He'd just been to see the dentist for a terrible toothache -- dentist said the tooth was fine, the problem was clenching of the jaw muscle. He hadn't mentioned the horrible deep inner ear itch to the dentist, assuming it wouldn't be connected to the tooth... which is technically correct.  But it does connect to that clenchy jaw.  So loosen up those jaws, y'all's.  :livid:

Spread the word of the jaw and the itchy ear! :D

Have you considered giving yourself half-points for this week (maybe a C?) to acknowledge the work you DID do?  An F seems like you didn't do the work AND didn't log it, but you definitely accomplished something, even if it wasn't the whole something.

Level Four Mandalorian Assassin

| STR: 8 | DEX: 7.5 | STA: 12 | CON: 8 | WIS: 7.25 | CHA: 6.75 |

| First Challenge | Second Challenge | Third Challenge |

You can't look dignified when you're having fun

Late-breaking Grades for Week # 5 (May 13-19)

Nooooooo.  The party’s almost over, and I was just warming up.

@ luckyme & gooddoug:  encouragement appreciated & needed.

@ Ubertumbleweed:  Appreciate the encouragement & suggestion.

I am strict on grading, but forgiving of bad grades.  Maybe too forgiving?  I’ll compromise by grading a D instead of F for Weeks 4 & 5.

I feel OK doing that because:

in Week 4,  I experienced another giant baby step:

The spine felt stiff and sore one night.

For the first time ever, my first response was to stretch it out, instead of reaching for a pain reliever.

You know what?  It worked.

Uttanasana.  Requires no equipment or special shoes !!    :))))

Week 5, I was derailed from formal exercise by an overabundance of graduation & move-related activity.

Did you ever go to someone’s house to help them load a moving truck, to find they not only weren’t packed, but didn’t even have boxes available to use for packing?

I’ll say no more about that

and I’m sure

In the near future, I’ll be so habituated that I’ll continue formal exercise even in a week full of naturally occurring physical activity.

In the near future, I’ll not be falling into the bed exhausted just from moving boxes up and down stairs for 2 days with a 9-hour drive in between.

I hear you about moving unprepared friends. Ugh.

And moving boxes totally counts as exercise. Did the exercise you have been doing help with the moving? Look for the silver linings.

Keep going strong!

level 10 Half Ogre Ranger

Healers Brigade

1st  | 2nd | 3rd | 4th | 5th | 6th | 7th | 8th | 9th | 10th | 11th | 12th | 13th | 14th | 15th | 16th | 17th | 18th | 19th | 20th | 21st | 22nd | 23rd | 24th | 25th | 26th | 27th

Current

Moving definitely counts as exercise and there is no shame in falling into bed exhausted after it! We paid people to move our stuff and I was still near comatose by the end of it. :P

Huge congrats on stretching instead of going the pain killer route. :)

Looking forward to your final report!

Lusitanian Druid, Level 9
STR: 13 | DEX: 15 | STA: 17 | CON: 22 | WIS: 25 | CHA: 25

“We are what we repeatedly do; excellence, then, is not an act but a habit.†- Aristotle

Current Challenge: Living the Good Life II Past: 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th, 6th, 7th,  8th9th, 10th11th, 12th

Goal: 1001 Steps on the Road to a Home -> 18/348 in 2015 

5.27%
5.27%

Goal: loose 9KG in 2015 -> 1.5KG lost 

16.67%
16.67%

@Chanda and GoodDoug --appreciate the motivation assistance. I hadn't even thought of it -- but yes, yay!   I usually do strain at least one muscle group in an all-day move, and this did not happen. A silver lining which I almost didn't notice, like you don't notice a headache after it's gone.

Grades for Week 6 (late again) May 20-27

I didn’t finish this challenge (not unusual)

but

(as usual)

I am not discouraged

because

1.  New challenge habits (stretching, moving, massaging) are knitted into pre-existing daily routines so I feel confident they’ll stick this time.

2.  Because of the new habits -- Changes must surely be taking place at the cellular level which I feel confident will be manifesting outwardly, any time now

such as, not least -- my attitudes and thinking:

When I first saw Leader Steve’s somewhat scoldy comments about how people who “don’t have time to be fit†are liars

(in these delightfully blunt blogs which inspire me by slapping down my House of Excuse-Cards: "Why I don't have time is a big fat lie"; "What the hell are you waiting for?"; and "What's your excuse, Chump?"

I didn’t 100% believe that a young, single male, could have anything to teach me about time management.

But have recently come over to the side of the Light.

Over the holiday weekend, my husband had to go to an urgent-care facility (he’s OK) and my Mom to the E.R. (she’s OK too).

Instead of contorting into a tight ball of worry as I formerly would have, I walked the halls when I could, and stretched in place when I couldn’t walk.

This is so unlike me.

Also I felt my right eye twitch go wild; noticed the ferociously clenched jaws; released them & cured the twitch.

I never thought this possible.

I owe it all (except the technical challenge failure :) to Nerd Fitness !!!!

Important Information

New here? Please check out our Privacy Policy and Community Guidelines