curlyhairedwarrior goes hard [no going home] [challenge 1.5]

"There can be miracles when you believe. Though hope is frail, it's hard to kill. Who knows what miracles you can achieve? When you believe, somehow you will."

The Curly-Haired Warrior turns up her ipod tunage, ties her running shoes tight and takes a last swig of water. She's about to go hard. She ain't going nowhere but up, and she certainly isn't going home (until she's tired).

This is her first full challenge, and she's determined to make it a good one. 

GOALS:

1. fuel the body. Eat a minimum of one portion of vegetables for lunch and dinner two portions of veg per day. [changed because of mini-challenge 1]

• doesn't include potatoes.
  • "portion" = at least the size of my fist.

Final score = /42

STA 2 / CON 2

2. use the fuel. feel the burn.

a) jog/ stumble/ crawl the 5k route in my local park at least once each week and record time.

B) improve time each week twice by the end of the challenge (suggested by GoodDoug)

• anything counts as long as I don't walk the whole thing.

Grading

a) A = 5/6, B = 4/6, C = 3/6, D = 2/6

B) A = 2/2, B = 1/2 

Minimum for each part must be met for each grade boundary (so to get a B overall I must improve at least once)

STA 2 / DEX 1 / STR 1

3. you can't put petrol in a diesel car. stick to my food elimination diet plans. 

During the majority of this challenge I'm going to be doing a pretty (ok very, extremely, crazily) strict food elimination diet. It seems to be pretty daft not to include this as part of my challenge.

[starts 22/4/13]

Every meal eaten in accordance with the food elim diet = 1 tick. Total /105

A = 100%, B = 97%, C = 95%, D = 92%. 

It's a food elimination diet. I can't mess this up!

CON 4

4. count the pennies. levelling up my life one pound at a time.

Week 1: record groceries bought and the cost of each. List everything, paying particular attention to any foods that get thrown away.

Week 2: set a reasonable budget based on findings. Stick to it. Carry on recording.

Week 3: review budget and change accordingly.

Week 4: plan meals for week and only buy what I've planned for. drop budget by 10%

Week 5: plan meals as before. drop (original) budget by 20%. compare food prices of market, health shops, supermarkets etc.

Week 6: get smart. using findings, plan not just what to buy, but where from. drop budget by 30%.

A = all stages followed, budget decreased by 30%

B = all stages followed, budget decreased by 20%

C = more than 3 stages followed, budget decreased by 10%

D = at least 4 stages followed but no budget decrease

F = budget increase (!); less than 4 stages followed

WIS 3

READY TO POUND THE PAVEMENT.

LET'S DO THIS.

LVL 1.5 Chubby Wood Elf Adventurer [challenge 1] [challenge 1.5

21 / f / 174 lb [initial goal 154] [sw 196] / 5'7" / UK / Kongregator 

STR 3.25 DEX 2.5 STA 4.5 CON 5 WIS 5 CHA 2.25

"You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there." -- Edwin Louis Cole

i like your goals too! one small thing: i dont know how long you have been running 5k. i found intervalls the best way to improve. but hey... i couldnt even walk for ten minutes 2 years ago.. just a thought....

i think you have set yourself up for success! go girl!!!

Heironymus - thank you :) they might seem like really easy steps but for someone who's never budgeted I think slow and steady is the best way to go.

fearlesscreek - I have NEVER run 5k aha I can't even run a mile. I will be doing something similar to intervals but I'll just have to see how I feel. ll probably do 2 minutes light jog and 4 minutes walk for the first 2k and then something like 1 min on 5 off for the last 3 as I'll be so tired! I currently jog/walk combo about 3k 3 times a week, so I have a bit of experience. But the idea isn't to be doing it in half an hour or anything, just to improve each week. Hopefully I can do that!!

"You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there." -- Edwin Louis Cole

You've got awesome goals for this challenge!

I'm curious about your food elimination diet --- what does that encompass?

There's a park right next to my house and I have been going there to walk/jog a lot recently. I figured out that if I walk to/from the park and go around the loop twice, that it's just over a 5k distance. How are you planning to track your progress in improving your times? I've been using an app that tracks not only the full time, but also how quickly I get a 1k and a mile done and will tell me about improvement in those times too!

Go! Go! Go!

P.S. - I'm still here, just in a different guild this time. I'm subscribing to your thread, though! :)

Level 2 Half-Giant | Adventurer

**aspiring to Druid/Scout hybrid and Wood Elf-dom**

STR: 4 | DEX: 2 | STA: 3 | CON: 4.5 | WIS: 6.75 | CHA: 6

Walk to Mordor | Epic Quest | Recovery Journey

I have a why. This is my how.

Thank you. I'm a bit more focussed and prepared after the last challenge, so I'm hoping that will help me maintain my mojo and go for it.

Food elimination diet = cut out everything bar most fruits and veg, brown rice, quinoa and most seeds for 2 weeks to get my body back to neutral. Then one by one add in foods, measuring reactions so I can figure out what I'm intolerant/ don't agree with. I'm pretty sure I'm wheat intolerant as I haven't been eating wheat for a couple of weeks and feel way better, but I'm also equally sure that there are other things making my belly feel funny (my suspicions are cows milk protein, eggs, mushrooms, caffeine but who knows).

You can do it in a month apparently but I'm taking it really slow to make sure and give my body time to adapt (including a 'trial' week next week where I'm easing myself into it!), so I actually won't be done until mid July(!) But in a month's time I hopefully will have put a lot of staples back in. I saw that you were thinking you might be intolerant to dairy? Might be something you're interested in? Pretty sure you can do it for just one food.

Awh go for it, Miss Druid! Subscribed and will go comment in a bit.

I'm thinking of doing it in intervals - starting off with 1.5 mins jog, 3 min walk and then upping/ closing the ratios each week. Unfortunately the park I'm using is about a 15-20 minute walk away so I might be crawling home after!! But at least I'll be nice and warm when I get there! I have no app because when I jog I just take my house key (on a chain round my neck - pretty clever, I thought) and my ipod. What I tend to do is create playlists to help me out. So I'll pick songs for their length and then when the song changes I know to change my pace (not just a hat rack ;) ), that tends to work for me, plus that way I know I only have to push til the end of the song and I don't have to bother myself looking at a timer. So yeah. :) :) :) :)

Love the song idea! I have a Gym Boss interval timer, I put it on vibrate and put the headphones in and run.

Run your heart out, walk back from the park sweaty but head held high, and once you close your room door, collapse on the bead and start remembering to inhale...exhale.

To bad you couldn't get goats milk, that is way better for you than cows. And I'm not just saying that out of research, I own and milk dairy goats and have never had a problem with the milk. Goats milk is naturally low fat, better tasting, and can be digested by lactose intolerant people. Unfortunately, they still have to homogenize the milk in stores but not me! It's all raw goats milk baby!

Will be rooting for you throughout your challenge!!

I actually think I'm ok with goat's milk, I eat a lot of halloumi and don't seem to have a problem with it so fingers crossed for that one. Will still be cutting it out and reinserting it as part of my elim diet.

Haha LostOne that's exactly what I plan to do. Whenever I come back I just throw myself on the floor until I can convince myself to stretch!

Thanks for your support :) much appreciated. Are you doing a challenge?

Yep, my challenge is called : LostOne1775 Challenge the Second

I'm asking readers to vote on which book I should read, and what I should draw. Let me know which one!

I love your budget goal - very well planned out.  I tried a buget goal myself and did establish a budget and started tracking food and other cash expenses, but didn't really see it though.  I love the weekly goals to work through the whole process.  Make sure you don't fall behind though.

If you did want to try a pre-recorded interval running program, the C25K program was available as a mp3 before apps even existed.  I have used this on an ipod before.  Having said that I think making up your own playlist is half of the fun, so get out there and enjoy yourself.

When I read other peoples goals, I want them from my own!  I'm very indecisive and can be easily influenced.

Good luck

Skywalker

Progress woot: Skywalker's success

Character Profile:  Skywalker

Blog:  Just Get Moving

Whatever you can do or dream you can, begin it. Boldness has genius, power and magic in it!

Hey S Skywalker, thanks for your comment! I'm hoping that the budgeting will help, although I'm pretty sure I'll be shocked/ horrified by the findings.

Yeah, I have tried the c25k programme, but I prefer having my own music. The c25k music is so... well, boring. So it's really better for me to plan the route and intervals beforehand and then pick the music to match. I'm building up a good selection of playlists, too.

I know exactly how you feel! Feel free to pinch haha :) I've already got my eye on someone else's goal for the next challenge :)

I like your goals. One upgrade that I might suggest is that rather than better your time each week, just make sure you've bettered your time by the end of the challenge. Some weeks will be harder than others, but if you keep going each week, and push yourself, there should be an improvement by the end. Also, make an allowance for injury or illness. That always seems to trip people up.

Best of luck and I can't wait to see how you do!

level 10 Half Ogre Ranger

Healers Brigade

1st  | 2nd | 3rd | 4th | 5th | 6th | 7th | 8th | 9th | 10th | 11th | 12th | 13th | 14th | 15th | 16th | 17th | 18th | 19th | 20th | 21st | 22nd | 23rd | 24th | 25th | 26th | 27th

Current

Hi GoodDoug, thank you for your suggestion. Hmm, I did set myself too high goals last challenge. I think I'll change it, but still measure my time each week :) thanks!!

Update #1

So far, so good, but then that's to be expected while I've got my mojo going and am still in that first week where everything's shiny and new.

I've just uploaded some 'first day of the challenge' pics to my gallery.

So far I've met my eat 2 portions of veg goal for each day, have eaten within the flexible rules of my pre-elimination diet plan (this week I'm just generally cutting-down on gluten, dairy and caffeine and trying out some of the recipes I'll be eating soon). I've not yet attempted the 5k. Tomorrow is the day of reckoning... I'm a little nervous if honest but just about to make my playlist and I am quite looking forward to giving it a go! In "preparation" I walked 8 miles on Monday.

Having started my food recording, I'm actually shocked. Honestly, I've already spent £17 (about $26, I think). IN TWO DAYS. This honestly is horrific. Let's bear in mind that I am one person feeding one person!! How do I manage it? Another thing I've noticed is that when I buy something new I tend to want to eat it straight away. Not in a gluttonous kind of way, just if I'm wanting a snack and I have a choice between something I bought yesterday and something I bought today, I'll always pick today's. Strange.

I also buy ingredients to make one dish and then never use the rest up. E.g. today I bought oats to make flapjacks. I have no intention of using them for porridge. I just wanted to make flapjacks, and I needed oats for that, so I bought some. I used 100g oats for my flapjacks.. I bought a 1kg bag. Eek.

I'm really interested to see how this pans out for this week. Oh my life. It's a wonder I've survived so far. It's a good thing I don't drink alcohol!

I don't drink alcohol either, except Absinthe but that's only like once a year.

Good job on the first day! Don't over exert yourself running, if your shins, ankle, or knees start hurting then you should relax into a walk to give them a rest. Once they "cool down" start back to running. You want to prevent your bones from splinting as much as possible.

As far as veggies go, a salad mix or frozen veggies are the cheapest and most versatile. And you can make the steamed veggies the night before and then just reheat them for whatever you make for dinner!

UPDATE #2

WELL GUESS WHAT I AM DA BAWS ON SUCH A HIGH RIGHT NOW IT'S UNREAL.

I just did my first 5k. Ok, so I walked about 80% of it, but who cares really?

Time was 42:53. It was super windy too. So thrilled. I've actually just checked the route and I started about half a minute too late, so as long as my next time is around the same I'll be pleased.

Anyways, too proud of myself! :) :) :) :)

(oh and LostOne - yeah I'm pretty susceptible to shin splints, but I find that I'm way better on tarmac than I ever was on a treadmill for some reason. Don't worry - I'm not risking injury or anything that will stop me from achieving my goals)

Running buzz beats everything. EVERYTHING. 

The buzz I get is just out of this world, I hope it lasts forever!

I have right now; it's day 3!!!! Just hoping I've still got it on day 33 :)

Thank youuuu

UPDATE #2

WELL GUESS WHAT I AM DA BAWS ON SUCH A HIGH RIGHT NOW IT'S UNREAL.

I just did my first 5k. Ok, so I walked about 80% of it, but who cares really?

Time was 42:53. It was super windy too. So thrilled. I've actually just checked the route and I started about half a minute too late, so as long as my next time is around the same I'll be pleased.

Anyways, too proud of myself! :) :) :) :)

(oh and LostOne - yeah I'm pretty susceptible to shin splints, but I find that I'm way better on tarmac than I ever was on a treadmill for some reason. Don't worry - I'm not risking injury or anything that will stop me from achieving my goals)

Running buzz beats everything. EVERYTHING. 

I'm the same way, I have a treadmill but it gave me more shin and knee problems than running in the hills.

Awesome! Who cares if you walked 80% of the way, you did something that most people aren't even doing. Getting out there and becoming a Badass! :devilish:

I love the after run affect! You come back feeling like you need to sit down, but end up getting this feeling of, "Wow! That was freakin awesome!" Never fails, know matter how you feel running will still make you feel alive.

Thank you thank you :)

Your post made me smile. Yes I am a badass!!

Exactly that. The endorphins pound through my body... when I finished I gave myself a self five and I could hear the guys on the bball court laughing at me but I did not care!!

Update #3: End of week 1

Well, so far so good. Here's a quick update on my goals and how they're going.[

1. fuel the body

the aim of this goal is to eat at least 2 portions of veg a day. I've managed to do this every day but one, where I missed a meal for a reason I can't remember, but have deemed not a good enough reason to excuse me according to my chart. This gives me a current score of 85%. Also worth mentioning that most days I've surpassed this, eating 3 or sometimes 4 portions. Go me!

2. use the fuel. feel the burn.

This week on Wednesday I did my first ever 5k (just me on my own in the park). I did it in 42 mins 53 secs and am super proud of me!

3. N/A as starts tomorrow - eek.

4. count the pennies.

This week I have spent a whopping £34.25 on food shopping. Ok so this included some oils and a few spices which are relatively expensive considering how long they last, but STILL. I'm shocked. In line with this and looking at next week's target I'm setting a budget of £30 for this week. Tomorrow I'm going to take the cash out of the bank and once it's gone I won't spend any more. (If my shopping includes non-food items, I will pay for the food first and subtotal it then pay for the rest on my card. I'm being this strict with myself because I want to physically watch the money go from my hand).

I thought I was quite wasteful and threw a lot of foods away, but this week I threw away one chili which cost me about 8p, some broccoli which was worth about 12p and some noodles worth about 20p, so although I did throw some things away, not too bad. 

The wastefulness comes from me buying "goodies" and then not being able to resist them. For example, I spent £1.29 on some ginger biscuits, which come in 6 individually wrapped bags. I bought them on the 15th; they were all gone by the 20th. That means an average of one a day... I'm pretty sure I didn't need to eat one every single day, especially when I spent £3.48 on similar products I ate straight away and I bought another 4 pack of muesli bars that lasted 3 days, meaning on one day I had 2!

This kind of careless eating is greedy and horrible, and I am determined to stop it.

So. £30 this week. OR LESS. OR ELSE.

Can't wait till the food elimination comes up! Let us all know how it goes, and if you feel down or just pissed off, feel free to rant your head off!

It's great that you are being strict on money. Goodies can definitely be a problem, but you are definitely determined to stop it! You go girl! The rest of the weeks should be a synch now that you know what your up against!

First day is today and even though I've spent weeks preparing for it I'm super nervous! Haha thanks, I'm not the kind of person to rant, really, as you perhaps can tell, but I will try to update more frequently.

Yeah, I really don't have excess money to spend and recording my usage has really shocked me. 

Thank you thank you thank you for your support, I really appreciate it!!

Update #4

First day of week 2 and I'm feeling good. Saying that, I have spent nearly £18 of my £30 goal - not so good. I did write a list though and only bought thing on the list so that's got to be good.

First day of the elimination, and as of yet I've got that "new toy" excitement. It's so nice to not eat anything 'out of a packet' (well, my quinoa was in a packet but you know what I mean!).

Today I made guacamole and lentil-quinoa burgers which were so so yummy. Being on the elim diet is going to make it easier to get that veg in!! :)

On the downside, I'm suffering from major headaches. :( :( :( 

Feelin good feelin great!

Making a list is good, it will help you in the long run with your budget along with sales.

You made guacamole (you don't pronounce the g right? The g is silent in Spanish)? I didn't know they avocadoes in the U.K.! The lentil-quinoa burgers sound delicious, burger always make me hungry.

Sorry to here about the headaches, is it because of the elim-diet? I've heard that are the side effect sometimes.

BTW I asked my farrier (he's from U.K., somewhere close to Oxford) about Beans on Toast and he told me where I could pick up the baked beans they sell in the U.K.. I forgot the name but I was wondering, how do you prepare it? Do you just throw it on the toast or is there something specific I have to do?

Important Information

New here? Please check out our Privacy Policy and Community Guidelines