• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

empeg9000

empeg9000 Challenge - Enter the Paralettes

GOALS

1 Get Proper Nutrition

I eat healthy. I often don't eat enough and I don't get enough protein - Eat 1900-2000 calories per day. Get 170-190g of protein and 100-150g of carbs. Let fat come from mostly meats eaten throughout the day. Increasing my carbs is tough for me as I have lost so much weight by not eating them. I have finally decided that at my activity level the lack of carbs might be holding me back. This is where the average weight and weekly measurement tracking will come in. If I lose or gain weight I will know if it's the right kind.

2 Track
Really track my weight to get weekly averages.
Take measurements, photos. Track avg weight and other matrices in a spreadsheet.

3  Workout 3x -5X a week

This is the Enter the Paralettes part of the challenge. I bought the P1 program from GMB and I will be working on getting through the first level during this challenge. I am very excited for this part of the challenge and seeing what proper nutrition and this program can do for me. I will do this workout M-W-F and do a legs workout on T-Th. 

Lose 1" from my waist

The last challenge I managed to lose 2.25" from my waist. I know it's not going to be easy but I am up for it.

5 Shoulder ROM & Mobility work 7x a week

This is a big one for me. I really need to start working on this. P1 recommends doing the warm up and cool down routines 7X a week. I will try and do this while also working in the Porto Ido shoulder ROM routine a few times a week. 

This is a lot in one challenge but I am going to go for it. I will post up starting weight and measurements on Monday. Oh and a photo but it will probably be pretty similar to the last one.

I know when I added back in some carbs, it was scary. But you're tracking it, and you know how to tweak as necessary. The para lettes sound like so much fun!

I know when I added back in some carbs, it was scary. But you're tracking it, and you know how to tweak as necessary. The para lettes sound like so much fun!

It kind of is scary. As you say though I will be watching very closely to see what is happening.

Yes I an really looking forward to the paralettes.

I have heard a lot of great things about the GMB program, it sounds like a very fun way to workout.

With all the work you are going to be putting in I am sure that 1" will melt off your waistline no problem.

Oh yeah one more thing.

Goal 6:

Find time to train for the Tour De Cure 50 I will be riding June 2nd.

I went out for the first time yesterday and rode 16 miles straight out of the gate. It took me me an hour and 6 minutes which is about 7 minutes off my best pace but for the first time out of the year I will take it. This is the first time I've ever done 16 miles for a first ride. I usually just do 5 or 10 miles a few times.

That's a lot of goals, make sure not to burn-out yourself. Good luck!

Thanks! You are right it's a lot of goals and I was unsure about so many. However some of them are interlaced with each other like the nutrition and tracking. The cycling will be a tough one because the paralettes in my main focus right now.

Monday morning workout. First one with the paralettes.

Warm up routine

Plank Push Ups - 3X12

Front Dips - 3X12

Plank Hold - 3X10 secs

Tuck Hold - 3X5 secs

Mt. Climbers - 3X12

Cool down routine and shoulder ROM.

My rate of perceived technique (RPT) was 7 and my rate of perceived effort (RPE) 7. I could have done more sets for sure. The manual states not to kill yourself the first time out and I was worried about running out of gas before finsihing. Next time out I will do 4 sets of everything and see how that goes. The judging of my effort and technique is new to me and I am not 100% sure of my rating. I did not find the workout overly hard. I was working but it wasn't killing me. I do feel my form was very good in everything except the tuck hold. It was a good workout though and I really enjoyed it.

Starting Stats:

Date 4/15/2013
Weight 189
Neck 14.75
Chest 39
Waist 36.75
Hips 40.25
Thigh 24.5
Quad 22
Quad Above Knee 18
Calf 15.5
Bicep 13.5
Forearm 11.5

Tonight since it was sunny for once I went out for a quick 10 mile ride to get in some more training for the TDC.

Distance: 10.23 mi Time: 42:47 Avg Speed: 14.4 mph Elevation Gain: 764 ft Calories: 488 C Avg Temperature: 56.3 °F

Elevation Gain: 764 ft Elevation Loss: 827 ft Min Elevation: -194 ft Max Elevation: 51 ft

Heart Rate

Avg HR: 143 bpm Max HR: 164 bpm

Zones

% of Max

bpm

Cadence

Avg Bike Cadence: 77 rpm Max Bike Cadence: 101 rpm

I felt pretty good. I also ate plenty today to compensate for the extra 500 calories.

Todays Food totals:

Source Calories Quantity

Protein 38% 210g

Fat 36% 89g

Carbs 27% 150g

2225 total calories today.

Nice, the parallettes program.  Interested to see how that goes.

I made a set, but don't use them a whole lot.  Something I plan on using more and more as time goes on.

Looking forward to seeing your progress with P1.  I've messed around with it some and found it enjoyable, but my eyes are set on some specific skills and it was too big a detour to spend much time with it.  Really well made program, though.

Nice, the parallettes program.  Interested to see how that goes.

I made a set, but don't use them a whole lot.  Something I plan on using more and more as time goes on.

I made my set out of  oak and some Douglas Fur 4X4 with plywood for a base. I made them pretty tall for now, about 10 inches high at the bar. I made them so I can lower them as I get better.

Looking forward to seeing your progress with P1.  I've messed around with it some and found it enjoyable, but my eyes are set on some specific skills and it was too big a detour to spend much time with it.  Really well made program, though.

Thanks guys. I actually starting playing around with it last week to try out the moves but I wouldn't say it was a workout.

Today's workout

GMB P1 Warmup

Done as a circuit with one minute rest.

Pistol Squat 3x3

BW Squat 3x10

Lunge 3X10

Side Lunge 3X10

Chinese Squat 3X10

Should ROM exercises

GMB P1 Cooldown

Agreed. I'm super interested to see if this changes or if you'll have to modify the heck out of it.

When I did it as a workout on Monday it felt more like a workout. The tuck hold was pretty tough. If I jump up to 4 or 5 sets that will make it feel like some work. I think day 2 will be harder. I will let you know though. I am enjoying it however.

Agreed. I'm super interested to see if this changes or if you'll have to modify the heck out of it.

When I did it as a workout on Monday it felt more like a workout. The tuck hold was pretty tough. If I jump up to 4 or 5 sets that will make it feel like some work. I think day 2 will be harder. I will let you know though. I am enjoying it however.

Wednesday morning workout:

1 minute rest between sets.

• Warm-Up Routine
• Plank Side to Sides 1X8, 1X7 - These are pretty tough because you are moving pretty slowly. It's more like a plank hold than a pushup
• Assisted Shoulder Stand Raises -  3X10- These were slightly tough mostly because I don't have very flexible hamstrings and I don't think I am getting my rear up over my shoulders well. 
• Jump Throughs - 3X13 -There were pretty fun. The first set I don't think I did them 100% right because I forgot to make sure I was locking my elbows and keeping my elbow pits forward.
• Assisted Inverted Presses - 3X8 - These were really tough. I am not very strong with overhead presses because it's not something I've worked on. I also again of the hamstring flexibility problem again.
• Swing Sets - 3X12 - These were pretty fun as well.
• Cool-Down Flow

Today's workout felt more like an actual workout. I don't feel exhaust but I am sure I will be pretty sore.

I had another day of hitting my eating goals. I am averaging about 2200 calories (a little more than I wanted but still okay) and my protein, and carbs are where I want to be. I am letting fat just fall wherever as long as I am hitting my protein and total calorie goals. I will check on Monday with the tape to see how things are going. 

This sums up my sentiments so far

It is difficult with the eating for me for another reason. My brother in law is very sick with pneumonia and has been in the hospital since Easter. He is in ICU and not responding to treatments. He is only 31. He was transferred to the hospital near my house so various family members (on my wife's side) have been in my house non-stop since last Thursday night. I don't mind at all but everyone wants to take us to dinner everynight to thank us for staying with us. It's getting old and tough to plan my meals.  I am whining of course and it is nothing compared to what my BIL is going through. I am happy to even be in this challenge and so far doing well. So to anyone that gets down on themselves, it could get a lot worse. Another nice thing is you really see how people in general really are good. 

Thursday no workout. Rest day.

I did the GMB Warmup Routine.

The Ido Portal Shoulder ROM and mobility

GMB Cooldown routine and yoga movements.

Yesterday I was a little shy on my calorie goals. My house guests unfortunately had already ordered pizza and wings by the time I got home from work so I was stuck eating that. I kept it to two slices and about 6 wings. My weight as been averaging about the same even though my carbs have gone up so hopefully things are working. I know it's only been 3 days so that's hardly a sample.

I'm sorry to hear about your brother-in-law.  That sucks.  An understatement, but not much to say other than that.

Sounds like you're staying strong, though.  Keep it up!

I'm sorry to hear about your brother-in-law. That sucks. An understatement, but not much to say other than that.

Sounds like you're staying strong, though. Keep it up!

Thanks man I appreciate it. He has taken a turn for the better today. He is no longer being intubated and breathing in his own. So that's a small step forward.

I an trying my hardest. I'm looking forward to my workout tomorrow am. I will probably ride on Saturday and Sunday weather permitting about 40 miles total. I'm adding in extra calories on days I ride. I hope that's the right thing to do.

Friday Morning Workout:

Warm up routine

Plank Push Ups - 5X13

Front Dips - 5X13

Plank Hold - 5X20 secs

Tuck Hold - 5X10 secs

Mt. Climbers - 5X13

I would put my RPE at 7 and RPT at 7. I find what they call the Day 1 routine some what easy right now that's why I did the max amount of sets. The tuck hold is the only thing I am finding difficult. I will keep doing it as is. The worst that could happen is I will get a lot stronger. 

My eating was pretty good. I ate all home cooked foods however my protein and carbs were low and fat was probably a bit too high but I did hit my target calories for the day. So far I am completing all my stated workout, mobility, and tracking goals.

You're doing well, dude!

Thanks man I appreciate it. He has taken a turn for the better today. He is no longer being intubated and breathing in his own. So that's a small step forward.

I an trying my hardest. I'm looking forward to my workout tomorrow am. I will probably ride on Saturday and Sunday weather permitting about 40 miles total. I'm adding in extra calories on days I ride. I hope that's the right thing to do.

Congrats on the brother-in-law.  Good to hear!

Extra calories on workout days is dependent on your goals.  How much weight you wanna lose balanced with how much you want to affect your strength/training.  Just make sure to keep up a deficit on average.

You're doing well, dude!

Congrats on the brother-in-law.  Good to hear!

Extra calories on workout days is dependent on your goals.  How much weight you wanna lose balanced with how much you want to affect your strength/training.  Just make sure to keep up a deficit on average.

Well I want to lose for sure but I don't want my cycling to take away too much from my strength and the little bit of size I have put on. I made that mistake last year by not eating more. When you go on an hour to hour and a half ride you easily burn 1000 calories and last year I never accounted for that. So last weekend when I rode for an hour I burned 700kcal so I ate about 500 extra. I guess I will just have to keep playing around with it. I know I have gained muscle since the fall. I weigh the same but pants I wore then are getting pretty baggy on me.

Looking good, man! Good challenges. Look foreword to your reports on P1.

Thanks Vector. So far so good on the paralettes. Just trying to build strength and learn some skills.

Todays workout:

Short cycling training ride. My plan was to ride 10 miles on a route I do that has a few big hills so I could get in some good hills and not be out too long. Boy it was cold today, only 42 and seriously windy. I got a flat though at mile 8.5. I didn't feel like fixing the flat so I had Mr Empeg come get me.

Distance:8.51 mi

Time:35:52

Avg Speed:14.2 mph

Elevation Gain:666 ft

Calories:413 C

Avg Temperature:42.1 °F

When I got back,

GMB Warm up routine

Shoulder Mobility ROM

GMB Cool down routing.

Today I am doing some volunteer work at the little park near my house putting in flowers and laying down some mulch. Why is it every time I volunteer it's really cold out. 

Todays workout:

Met up with some friends for a group ride on the bikes. It was really cold out only 34 when we started and windy. We only did just shy of 16. It's amazing how much quicker you can ride in a group. I was feeling pretty strong today and went up most of the hills pretty quick.

Distance:15.94 mi

Time:1:03:41

Avg Speed:15.0 mph

Elevation Gain:587 ft

Calories:571 C

Avg Temperature:38.4 °F

When I got back,

GMB Warm up routine

Shoulder Mobility ROM

GMB Cool down routing.

Currently eating giant recovery salad since I rode on an empty stomach. That's okay though because I hate a ton of sushi last night! YUM!