jstanlick: Hard Core Focus - Challenge V

jstanlick

Damn those idiots who can't solve problems on their own. On the upside your job seems to be secure until someone figures out how to do what you do! :)

Too bad you hurt your finger. I hope you manage to figure out a way to do your KB workouts with the finger. You're awesome at seeing the upside of things by the way. I hope you patio lasts for many years in it's good looking state!

There seems to be a distinct difference between the folks in my department that have business computing backgrounds and those with math/computer science backgrounds. The business computing folks just want to get stuff crossed off a list. If someone else does it for them, they're happy and can move on to the next thing. The other folks really want to know how everything works and won't rest until they understand it. They aren't comfortable having someone else do it for them. There are times you just have to get things done. But if you never really learn it, you're always dependent on someone else which is bad for business.

I iced the finger all last night and this morning. It's feeling better and throbbing less. It's still all purple but I'm hoping in a week or so we'll be close to normal again. The patio is almost done, but I ran out of rock. I need a couple more cubic feet of pea gravel to finish it off. So, off to the store I go!

"You can't climb the ladder of success with your hands in your pockets." - Arnold Schwarzenegger

"The important thing is not to think much but to love much; and so do that which best stirs you to love." - St. Teresa of Avila

Current Challenge: Seeks Balance | Battle Log: Ye Olde Battle Logge | NF Character: Public Profile | Strava 

Oh no!!!!!!!

At least I don't think it's broken. Hoping to be back to normal in a week or so. In the meantime, I think I've come up with some good substitutes. Definitely didn't plan for this when I laid out what the schedule for this week was going to look like :P

"You can't climb the ladder of success with your hands in your pockets." - Arnold Schwarzenegger

"The important thing is not to think much but to love much; and so do that which best stirs you to love." - St. Teresa of Avila

Current Challenge: Seeks Balance | Battle Log: Ye Olde Battle Logge | NF Character: Public Profile | Strava 

egads!  "I don't think it's broken" is never a good thing to say.  Guess you'll be doing a lot of legs! 

I AM going the distance

'Cause all I wanna do is go the distance. Nobody's ever gone the distance with Creed, and if I can go that distance, you see, and that bell rings and I'm still standin', I'm gonna know for the first time in my life, see, that I weren't just another bum from the neighborhood.

There seems to be a distinct difference between the folks in my department that have business computing backgrounds and those with math/computer science backgrounds. The business computing folks just want to get stuff crossed off a list. If someone else does it for them, they're happy and can move on to the next thing. The other folks really want to know how everything works and won't rest until they understand it. They aren't comfortable having someone else do it for them. There are times you just have to get things done. But if you never really learn it, you're always dependent on someone else which is bad for business.

I iced the finger all last night and this morning. It's feeling better and throbbing less. It's still all purple but I'm hoping in a week or so we'll be close to normal again. The patio is almost done, but I ran out of rock. I need a couple more cubic feet of pea gravel to finish it off. So, off to the store I go!

I always suspected that the business computing people were taught too much business and to little CS. Couple of people I know who study Business Computer Scienece (thats what it's called at my university at least) wouldn't even be able to implement a bresenham line algorithm in java. To me the field always seemed to be more of a easymode business education with some advanced computer usage. That's problably just some rubbed of CS-elitism from my colleagues. 

Awesome that you still can do some of your workout though! Hope the finger gets better fast :)

Level 4 Human Ranger

The only Way to accomplish greatness is to set your goals even higher.

STR: 15 || DEX: 9 || STA: 10

CON: 12 || WIS: 9 || CHA: 6

Check out my challange Thread (4)

egads! "I don't think it's broken" is never a good thing to say. Guess you'll be doing a lot of legs!

After I smashed it, my wife said that must've hurt. I said, "you were looking the other way, how would you know?" "You're not swearing. When you start swearing I know it's not serious. When you just grimace and don't make a sound I know you hurt yourself." She can read me like a book.

I was afraid I broke it to start with because it hurt like an SoB. But the bruising is starting to subside, the swelling is down and I can bend it just a little bit.

I always suspected that the business computing people were taught too much business and to little CS. Couple of people I know who study Business Computer Scienece (thats what it's called at my university at least) wouldn't even be able to implement a bresenham line algorithm in java. To me the field always seemed to be more of a easymode business education with some advanced computer usage. That's problably just some rubbed of CS-elitism from my colleagues.

Awesome that you still can do some of your workout though! Hope the finger gets better fast :)

Thanks! Each day it seems to be a little better. That business knowledge is handy to have around. Sometimes it just seems to translate into a lack of ownership. I'm not sure if that's true everywhere. It just seems to be true in my department.

Alright, today was KB to the best of my ability. I also finished up the patio before the skies opened up and are trying to help Noah with his new ark...or at least it seems that way. I can't seem to figure out how to upload a picture on my phone.

I did each superset 5x and moved on to the next one.

Superset #1

KB Thrusters

Spider-Man push-ups

Superset #2

Windmills

Goblet lunges

Finished with

TGU's each side

Even though I wasn't grabbing anything the push-ups got kind of hard towards the end. To much pressure on the hand I guess. But, everything was fine other than that. Maybe next week I can get up to heavier weights or at least some snatches or cleans.

That's a tough workout with a finger injury.  I take it you are on the mend???

I AM going the distance

'Cause all I wanna do is go the distance. Nobody's ever gone the distance with Creed, and if I can go that distance, you see, and that bell rings and I'm still standin', I'm gonna know for the first time in my life, see, that I weren't just another bum from the neighborhood.

Thanks! Each day it seems to be a little better. That business knowledge is handy to have around. Sometimes it just seems to translate into a lack of ownership. I'm not sure if that's true everywhere. It just seems to be true in my department.

I've always felt that economics and computer sciences, which, frankly, are two vastly extensive fields of study with elementary differences, make for an odd combination that turns out average (in both aspects) graduates. On the other hand I only know one person who actually finished it, so it's an extremely limited sample size.

Awesome that you could get a full workout despite your hurt finger! It's that kind of persistance that turns into great results :)

Level 4 Human Ranger

Yesterday was a rest day. I had a bit of a set back with the finger. Since my thumb and index finger are fine I tried KB exercises that didn't require as much grip strength. I think the push-ups were a bad idea. My finger swelled up more yesterday and became more sore. So, I skipped workouts yesterday. Today I was still trying to figure out how to work around this. Since I was still pissed off I didn't feel like intervals and I couldn't figure out how to lift without grabbing stuff. So, I went for a run. I took my time and just wanted to do something so I could forget the finger. 3.2 miles with a 8:34 pace.

My finger feels a little better again today. But I'm not sure what to do. I don't what to have another setback, but I don't want to sit on my ass either. Tomorrow's planning day so I need a plan of some kind. I'll need to see how the finger feels tomorrow. Maybe I'll just fight through the workouts and make sure I ice it afterwards.

Oh wow. Sorry to hear!!!! Ice ice!!! Rest it. Ugh. Feel better!!!!

I AM going the distance

The only exercise I can think of that requires little to no finger effort is low bar positions squats. And maybe benchpress. Maybe you can do some of those?

If not, I'd think it's better to just rest and skip a workout or two, until your inger is healed so you can get back into it. No use in dragging the injury out my working it prematurely. Get well soon ;)

Level 4 Human Ranger

Oh wow. Sorry to hear!!!! Ice ice!!! Rest it. Ugh. Feel better!!!!

The only exercise I can think of that requires little to no finger effort is low bar positions squats. And maybe benchpress. Maybe you can do some of those?

If not, I'd think it's better to just rest and skip a workout or two, until your inger is healed so you can get back into it. No use in dragging the injury out my working it prematurely. Get well soon ;)

You guys are like the little cartoon angel sitting on my right shoulder. The problem is, I really want to listen to the cartoon devil sitting on my left shoulder. So, I think I've come up with a compromise. I've ditched the kettlebells for now :( and combined the ab, interval and strength workouts into some DB/BW circuits w/ sprinting intervals 3x a week with a rest day in between. For DB weights, I'm using smaller weights that are far easier to hold with 3 fingers and I buddy-taped my finger while working out. This was the results of my planning/scheduling/scheming for the week. This morning's workout was...okay. A separate post on that later. We'll see how the finger responds. So far it's not too bad.

Okay, so the finger thing is getting in the way of my kettlebell plans and some of the ab workout plans. Certainly doing them every day is just not going to let it heal the way it should, but I don't want to skip the workouts altogether. So, I can up with a compromise until the finger feels strong enough to return to normal. On M-W-F, I'm going to go with some BW/DB circuits followed by intervals of some kind. Thereby giving the finger 4 days of resting. That's what I came up with yesterday digging through workout routines I have. Today's workout went okay. It wasn't completely pain-free, but it didn't hurt anymore than usual and it didn't feel worse off afterwards. It now has 48 hours to rest. So, with my finger buddy-taped to the one next to it, I went with just 20# DB's for my exercises as they were easier to hold with just 3 fingers.

BW Warm-Up Circuit x3
1) Prisoner Forward Lunges – 10 reps per side
2) Close-Grip Pushups – 12 reps
3) Waiter’s Bow – 10 reps

Superset #1
1A) DB Walking Lunge – 8 reps per side
• No rest.
1B) Stability Ball Ab Pike – 10 reps <- These are even harder to do while you're concentrating on keeping your weight off 2 fingers :tongue:
• Rest 1 minute before repeating 2 more times for a total of 3 supersets.

Superset #2
2A) DB Bulgarian Split Squat – 12 reps
• No rest.
2B) Stability Ball Leg Curl – 8 reps <- It's been a long time since I've done these
• Rest 1 minute before repeating 2 more times for a total of 3 supersets.

Superset #3
3A) DB 1-Leg Calf Raise – 10 reps per side
• No rest.
3B) Plank with Arms on Ball – 30 second hold <- Started with my hands on the ball, but that hurt too much so I shifted to my forearms on the ball. Much better!
• Rest 30 seconds before repeating 2 more times for a total of 3 supersets.

Superset #4
4A) Stability Ball Rollout – 8 repetitions <- As long as I stayed off the hands and rolled it up my arms, this was pain free -- In my hands anyway
• No rest
4B) X-Body Mountain Climber – 12 reps per side <- Much like the Ab pikes from a hand stand point
• Rest 1 minute and repeat 2 more times for a total of 3 supersets.

Intervals
1 minute jog in place warm up

Repeat next 2 steps 8x
30 sec shuttle sprints
30 sec jog in place

2 minute jog in place cool down

So, Day 1 was heavier on the legs and abs. That was by design. I'm trying to give the finger more rest time before I get into more upper body stuff later in the week. All in all, not too bad. It was a really good way to start my first day back to work after vacation.

I say listen to the little cartoon devil within reason.  Since you can clutch a DB, that's good but maybe take it easy on planks and pushups? 

Glad taping is helping a bit.  Is the swelling gone?  Did it swell after the workout?

How was the vacation otherwise?

I AM going the distance

I say listen to the little cartoon devil within reason.  Since you can clutch a DB, that's good but maybe take it easy on planks and pushups? 

Glad taping is helping a bit.  Is the swelling gone?  Did it swell after the workout?

How was the vacation otherwise?

I left out pushup (and burpees) for now, but still have the pikes and mountain climbers that require me to hold my body up. The taping did help.

The swelling is almost gone and it didn't get worse after working out. Mostly, it hurts if I press down on the end of my finger (for typing, I've resorted to the tried and true hunt n peck method :D) or squeezing anything tight. It also hurts when I try to push the RoM too far. I can bend it more each day, but it lets me know what the limit is. It is getting better, I just won't be doing any heavy deadlifts (or even pull-ups :() anytime soon.

Vacation was great! Crap started breaking all over the place at work, and with my manager's permission I ignored it all! More than a couple people remarked to me today, "Boy, we could've used you last week" or something of that ilk. Plus, I got to spend more time with the kids and my wife. The only downside is I un-earthed some problems my daughter's been having at school and hasn't been sharing with us. Now I need to figure out how to get that train back on track. Kind of disappointing, but I'd rather know about than be blissfully ignorant.

well glad to hear you can do DB but def lay off the typing nonsense at work.  sheesh.  ;-)

Glad vacation was good.  Sorry about your daughter's school woes.  It's got to be hard parenting.   I have absolutely no idea but I can try to sympathize.  At least you had the time to find out. 

Still waiting for patio pics. 

I AM going the distance

With a little rest you'll be back to swinging kbs in no time ;) Already sounds like it's healing well!

Thanks! I'm just wondering if this works, should I stick with it, or go back to the kettlebells? Not sure. My goal was a stronger core. I guess it doesn't matter how I arrive at that. Come to think of it, I should probably step out of my comfort zone and look at yoga for a stronger core, eh? Well, maybe next challenge.

well glad to hear you can do DB but def lay off the typing nonsense at work.  sheesh.  ;-)

Glad vacation was good.  Sorry about your daughter's school woes.  It's got to be hard parenting.   I have absolutely no idea but I can try to sympathize.  At least you had the time to find out. 

Still waiting for patio pics. 

When they're younger, their needs are simple but you can't reason with them. When they get older they start to understand reasoning, but their needs are far more complicated. Especially with the "and then Jackie said this, so I said this, and then so-and-so said this...<continues for at least 10 minutes>...so I didn't finish my homework". It's like running a 10k verbal obstacle course only to have the trail turn 180 degrees right at the end. Far more tiring than my workouts. Unfortunately, listening to either of her grandmother's is like being at the same track meet, so it's not a behavior that's going to be changed easily.

Patio pics? That's right I promised them didn't I? Well it's about a 20'x20' section. Here's the before:

post-8948-0-16074600-1367874607_thumb.jp

And here's the after (The stones get this cool multi-colored effect when they're wet. Guess which ones were wet when the picture was taken?)

post-8948-0-25797400-1367874363_thumb.jp

post-8948-0-25797400-1367874363_thumb.jp

post-8948-0-16074600-1367874607_thumb.jp

Two of those flagstones you see are what I smashed my finger between. I think the two cuplrits are just up and to the right of where the wet stones end.

OMG that is awesome!!!! Oh wow. Well done!!! And kudos listening to girl talk!!!

I AM going the distance

OMG that is awesome!!!! Oh wow. Well done!!! And kudos listening to girl talk!!!

Thanks! It's interesting because my wife doesn't talk like that. Then again, being a psycho-therapist, she's spent years working on taking a breath and listening to other people. Maybe it's been trained out of her. Either that, or I don't mind/notice it when she's talking :P

Thanks! It's interesting because my wife doesn't talk like that. Then again, being a psycho-therapist, she's spent years working on taking a breath and listening to other people. Maybe it's been trained out of her. Either that, or I don't mind/notice it when she's talking :tongue:

Nice.  I was chat chat chat the other day and I finally said to spousal unit "are you grumpy?  What's wrong?"  Him:  I'm trying to read and you are just rambling.  Me:  not rambling.  Chatting.  I like to chat with you.  Him:  *ignores cline*  So I talk to the cats.  They LOVE me for it. 

I AM going the distance

So, last week I didn't so my weekly challenge update post because...well, I was on vacation and trying to stay away from the computer. For me, updates (and keeping up with people's threads) are more difficult on the phone for some reason. Then, there was the whole smashed finger thing and I thought maybe I'll skip an update this week as well. But, I went back and looked at my goals. Hmm, on the face of it, I'm not doing so good. So, I thought an update might help me find the silver lining as well as motivate me to persevere. So, here goes.

Goal #1: Intervals and ab training 3x/week

Last week, not so good. I did manage a total of 3 interval workouts but only 1 specific ab training workout. So, there's room to improve I guess.

Goal #2: Kettlebell circuits 3x/week

1 and done with this goal last week. I managed 1 KB workout and my finger hurt too much to do any more. Plus, I'm not planning on doing anymore this week, or perhaps for the rest of the challenge. More on that later.

Goal #3:  I need to eat healthier

This goal was about drinking more fluids and avoiding artificial crap in my food. I had been doing a good job with this one...until my vacation week. I spent a bunch of time working in the sun (the sun part has been rare so far this year) and needed more fluids than I had been getting. On Monday and Wednesday I didn't drink enough and ended up light-headed Monday night and woke up with a terrible headache Thursday morning. My wife and I went out to lunch numerous times during the week and I wasn't very selective in my ordering. Plus, over the weekend I fell off the wagon with my eating. Perhaps I was depressed about my finger. I dunno. But, Saturday consisted of chocolate-chip pancakes and bacon for me and the kids (my wife was smart enough to avoid the pancakes and stick to the bacon w/ some eggs) and then I deep fried a turkey for supper with lots of veggies and the kids had a bunch of mashed potatoes. On Sunday, as long as the fryer was still out (I had washed it but not put it away yet), we made homemade donuts. Oh yeah, and there were numerous Belgian wits and IPA's to go along with it. Not my finest week in terms of nutrition.

Goal #4: I've got to plan better.

This was marginally successful. I laid out 2 plans of things to do when I was on vacation. One if it was good weather and one if the crappy weather continued. I got the patio done and my wife and I got some of the flower gardens cleaned up. The finger messed with my execution of my workout plan as I didn't account for an injury (but, really, why would you plan to get injured?). That part of the week I'm okay with. It's the nutrition plan/execution that I laid a torch to. That part I'm not so happy about. I created a plan, and then abandoned it with the "F**k it. I'm on vacation" excuse. Seemed fine at the time, but I'm regretting it now.

Like I said, on the face of it, not a great week. But...my overriding goal of the challenge is a better stronger core and better focus. Okay, so last week lacked some focus at some crucial times (hence the smashed finger), but laying all that flagstone, cutting all that sod and moving it, compacting the soil (using a 12 pound tamper on that area was like doing about 500 light weight upright rows), and lifting those bags of gravel really had my lower back and abs sore by the end of each day. So, I'm pretty sure I got in some core work without a specific bunch of core exercises. And, I've been on the straight and narrow with my eating yesterday and so far today. Lastly, the plan that I've come up with for workouts with the sore finger has me pumped. My finger actually feels better today than yesterday, and doing exercises I haven't done in a while has my glutes, lower back, quads and abs sore today, but in a good way. If I continue to feel this good about these workouts, I might abandon the KB specific ones. We'll see.

Nice.  I was chat chat chat the other day and I finally said to spousal unit "are you grumpy?  What's wrong?"  Him:  I'm trying to read and you are just rambling.  Me:  not rambling.  Chatting.  I like to chat with you.  Him:  *ignores cline*  So I talk to the cats.  They LOVE me for it. 

Ha! Our dog loves it when we harass him too even though he can't hear us. He'll be 13 in a month and unless you're yelling he can't hear a thing you say. But, if you're scratching his ears or belly, he doesn't really care what you say as long as you keep scratching :D

For the record, I do listen to my wife. It just doesn't seem to require as much concentration to keep up with what she's saying.

And, I know this is from your thread, but family dinner time at our house means, no screens, no toys, no newspapers, no distractions, etc. so we can talk. What's on each persons plate is immaterial (unless, of course, what someone wants requires an extra hour of preparation...then they're on their own). So, says this Midwestern man :)

Important Information

New here? Please check out our Privacy Policy and Community Guidelines