Wayne_Kent_Seago: My First Challenge!

I am really looking forward to participating in this challenge, as it will be my first. I have selected 4 goals that will increase my brawn and my brain:

1. Walk a total of at least 60 over the next 6 weeks (CON 2, STA 2)
    A= 60 miles
    B= 45 – 59 miles
    C= 30 – 44 miles
    D= 15 – 29 miles
    F= 0 – 14 miles

2. Do Beginner Bodyweight Workout at least 3x per week (CON 2, STR 2)
    A= 3x per week or more
    B= 2x per week
    C= 1x per week
    F= 0x per week

3. Increase number of pushups I can do in one set from 15 to 45 (STR 4)
    A= 45
    B= 35 – 44
    C= 25 – 34
    D= 16 – 24
    F= less than 16

4. Read the top 5 books on Art of Manliness’s “Top 100 Must Read Books†list that I have not yet read – The Great Gatsby, Slaughterhouse 5, The Republic (WIS 3)
    A = all 3
    B= 2
    C= 1
    D= 0

At the end of the challenge, I think I will have really accomplished some physical goals and will have leveled up my life. I think I will feel even better, and as Rebel Leader Steve says, “appearance is a consequence of fitnessâ€, I should look better as well.

I can’t wait to get started!

Lvl 8 ◠Half-Elf breaking free of an Ogre’s body ◠Ranger
STR 11.5; DEX 2; STA 19.5; CON 13; WIS 13; CHA 5
Fire Flower Power-up
“Things Do Not Happen. Things Are Made to Happen†– John F. Kennedy

My current challenge

2014 - My Year of Badassery (Battle Log)

Twitter

Instagram

Past Challenges:

#1; #2; #3; #4, #5, #6, #7, #8

Melry - I don't mind at all, Imitation is the most sincere forms of flattery.

Bastet - it is going well so far! I am clicking off the miles, on track so far in the bodyweight workouts, and 3/4 of the way through Slaughterhouse Five already (I see why it is on the list of Must Read Books)

I participated in the first of our guild's mini-challenges, which asks us to re-eaxmine our goals and make sure they are realistic. After some reflection, I think my pushup goals might be a little unrealistic. Going from 15 to 45 pushup is a 200% increase. With a clearer head and on good advice, I am adjsuting the goal from 45 to 30 and with the following breakdown:

A = 30

B= 26 - 29

C= 21 - 25

D= 16 - 20

F= less than 16

Fire Flower Power-up

My current challenge

Twitter

Instagram

Past Challenges:

Ohhh!  The Great Gatsby is really worth it, I think I might have to have a book challenge in the next challenge.  That is AMAZING! 

Good luck to you! 

Level 2 Satyress adventurerSTR 3|DEX 3|STA 2|CON 2|WIS 7|CHA 6

First Challenge:  Disney Song Playlist (April 15th, 2013)

Second Challenge:  Better late than never (June 6, 2013)

"All great changes are preceded by chaos" - Deepak Chopra

Ohhh!  The Great Gatsby is really worth it, I think I might have to have a book challenge in the next challenge.  That is AMAZING! 

Good luck to you! 

Thanks. I finished Slaughterhouse Five this morning and now starting The Republic. Looking forward to reading The Great Gatsby - I hear it is wonderful.

Fire Flower Power-up

My current challenge

Twitter

Instagram

Past Challenges:

I participated in the first of our guild's mini-challenges, which asks us to re-eaxmine our goals and make sure they are realistic. After some reflection, I think my pushup goals might be a little unrealistic. Going from 15 to 45 pushup is a 200% increase. With a clearer head and on good advice, I am adjsuting the goal from 45 to 30 and with the following breakdown:

A = 30

B= 26 - 29

C= 21 - 25

D= 16 - 20

F= less than 16

I saw your post in the MiniChallenge thread, and wanted to pop over here with a suggestion. If you want to, you could always re-word your goal to turn it into a "process oriented" goal instead of a "result oriented" goal. What that means is that you focus more on the actions you plan to take to build up to the result, so in this case, you might change the goal to something like "add x number of pushups to at least one set each time my workout includes pushups," or "use 'Grease the Groove' method to increase pushup numbers during week 4," or whatever your plan is to get from 15 to 30 (or higher).

Basically, it means you grade yourself on the work you do, instead of whether that work gets you a 100% or 200% (or any other particular amount) increase.

It's just a suggestion, though! If the specific target number is what works well to motivate you, go for it. :)

This used to be where  my weight loss progress bar was. Maybe it will be here again when I'm ready to face the scale and work on my fat problem.
 NewBattleLog              OldBattleLog (between challenges)

Spoiler

Don't let what you cannot do
interfere with what you can do.

-John Wooden

2013 Running Tally: I lost track in July, at 148.925  ((plus 0.5)) but I finished a Very Slow marathon in October. Then I mostly stopped.
2014 Running Tally: 134.1 miles plus 5k (as of 17 September) lost track again, but I know I had at least 147.2 plus 5k for 2014.
2015 Running Tally: 41.2 treadmilled miles & 251.93 real world miles

2016 Running Tally: 0

Thank you Georges, that is great advice and something I will definitely use going forward! 

Fire Flower Power-up

My current challenge

Twitter

Instagram

Past Challenges:

So how are things going so far? I can't believe we're on week 5 already! Did you get your pushup goal figured out?

Human Adventurer, Level 3

STR 3.5 | DEX 1 | STA 7.5 | CON 8.5 | WIS 9.5 | CHA 2

First Challenge | Second Challenge | Third Challenge

Destiny is not a matter of chance, it is a matter of choice; it is not a thing to be waited for, it is a thing to be achieved.  --William Jennings Bryan

Time to tally up the results. This has been an awesome 6 weeks. I wasn't perfect, but I can honestly say that this is the first time I have been self-motivated for this long a period of time! I haven't checked in to the forums every day, but just knowing that this community is out there and we are working toward the same things is so motivating! I was telling some friends the other day that I feel accountable to a group of people I don't even know in person, but feel a real bond because we are all alike in a lot of ways. Enough sappiness, lets get to the results:

Goal #1 – Walk a total of 60 miles. (CON 2, STA 2)

I enjoy walking in the mornings, and hit this goal. I am not sure if we count what we did on Monday the 27th as part of the challenge, but I hit the 60 mile mark on Saturday the 25th so regardless I get an A for this one (60.79 miles achieved on 5/25, 63.8 miles on 5/27). I will take the full 2 for CON and STA.

Goal #1 – Complete NF Beginner Bodyweight Workout 3x per week (CON 2, STR 2)

I did ok on this one. Weeks 1, 3 and 6 I did the workout 3x per week. In weeks 2, 4 and 5 I only did the workout 2x per week. Over the course of the challenge I averaged 2.5 x per week. That gets me a B. I feel stronger, and moved up the number of all the components of the workout from 20 per set to 27 over the course of the challenge so I am psyched about that. Getting a B earns me 1.5 for both CON and STR.

Goal #3 – Increase number of pushups in one set from 15 to 30 (STR 4)

I had originally set the goal to 45 and would have been nowhere near it. Thanks to mini-challenge 1, I reset the goal to 30. In the course of doing the bodyweight workouts, I moved up the totals of the parts of the workout and was excited by what I was able to do. On the final Saturday (5/27) I did 27 pushups in the first set. My form was still ok through 25, but about to break down. Numbers 26 and 27 may not have passed Marine Corps muster, but I finished the set. I may have been able to reach 30, but they would not have resembled a real push-up and it was important to me to keep good form and not “cheat†by just bending my arms a little and counting it. We don’t cheat in the rebellion, right! I will claim 25 and give myself a C and take 2 STR.

Goal #4 – Read the top 5 books (that I had not yet read) on the list of top 100 must read books according to Art of Manliness (WIS 3)

I started this goal strong, but did not keep it going. The books that I had not read were Slaughterhouse 5, The Great Gatsby and The Republic by Plato. I finished Slaughterhouse 5 in less than a week, and the Great Gatsby in about 10 days. Plato, however, was a chore! I found a lot reasons to read something else, anything else (magazine articles, other books, blogs etc). It is also really long – over 500 pages. I didn’t finish it, ugh! Reading the other 2 gets me a B and 2 WIS.

In terms of leveling up, I am adding 3 CON, 2 STA, 3.5 STR, WIS 2 to my original stats, and now am level 2.

Overall, I ended with an A, 2 B’s and a C. If we were in school, it would be a 3.25 GPA for the semester. Not enough for the honor roll, but not on academic probation either :rolleyes-new:

The side benefits of this challenge have also been very positive. For the last few years, all the clothes I owned were tight on me. I always felt like 10 pounds of flour in a 5 pound bag. About a year ago, I bought size 40 pants so I didn’t feel like the button on my pants would be a lethal weapon when my pants exploded. In the last few months, with more emphasis on what I eat and starting a commitment to exercise, I have seen some wonderful changes. Now if I don’t wear a belt, my size 38 pants will fall off as I walk, and I am now comfortably wearing size 36 pants and shorts!

I can’t wait for the next challenge!

Fire Flower Power-up

My current challenge

Twitter

Instagram

Past Challenges:

Nice Work! :)

This used to be where  my weight loss progress bar was. Maybe it will be here again when I'm ready to face the scale and work on my fat problem.
 NewBattleLog              OldBattleLog (between challenges)

Spoiler

Don't let what you cannot do
interfere with what you can do.

-John Wooden

2013 Running Tally: I lost track in July, at 148.925  ((plus 0.5)) but I finished a Very Slow marathon in October. Then I mostly stopped.
2014 Running Tally: 134.1 miles plus 5k (as of 17 September) lost track again, but I know I had at least 147.2 plus 5k for 2014.
2015 Running Tally: 41.2 treadmilled miles & 251.93 real world miles

2016 Running Tally: 0

Nice Work! :)

Thank you :peaceful:

Fire Flower Power-up

My current challenge

Twitter

Instagram

Past Challenges:

Important Information

New here? Please check out our Privacy Policy and Community Guidelines