• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

BearsBeetsBSG

BearsBeetsBSG: "What fun is being cool if you can't wear a sombrero?"

So I've become really good at starting, and not finishing these challenges. Well, not even good at that, seeing as I didn't even start the last one. But! I'm here now, and that's what counts.

The good news is even though I haven't totally been out of the fitness loop. I've still been doing a fair amount of lurking here, r/bodyweightfitness, etc. I've also spent the past week or so getting some fuckarounditis out of the way to pave the way for this challenge, so I can start with a solid plan out of the gate.

The first week(ish) with be a little difficult: I'll be out in Chicago from the 17th to the 21st to visit my grandpa. We recently found out his declining health has taken a serious turn for the worse, and this will probably be the last time I see him. I'll stick to my goals where I can, but obviously they'll be on backburner while I'm there.

So here we go:

Goal #1: Get Strong

I'll be strength training M/W/F, doing a 2 push, 2 pull, 2 leg exercise workout. This is what it's looking like (all 3 sets of 5-8 reps, varying by exercise)

- Chin Ups

- Bench Pistols

- Pike Pushups

- Assistols (Ring assisted pistols)

- Inverted Rows

- Diamond Pushups

The more I do this, the better my grade. I'm hoping for some strength gains, but nothing crazy because as you can see with the next goal, I'm also cutting.

Points available: 4 STR

Goal #2: Get Lean

I've been skinny-fat for a long time. And I'm really, really over it. I want to go to the beach and be able to take my shirt off and feel comfortable. I want not feel "squishy". So, this means cutting. I've FINALLY started using myfitnesspal to keep track of my calories and macros. Calories and protein are of chief concern. I'm kinda sorta carb cycling, but not too strictly. I basically try to eat more carbs on workout days, fewer on off days. Anyways, specifics:

Several TDEE calculators put my TDEE in the 2600-2700 calorie range (last weigh in I was ~185 lbs). I'm going to shoot for a 500 calorie deficit, so I'll call that 2100 calories. Also, I'll be calorie cycling, which means a goal of 2300 calories on workout days and 1900 calories on rest days. Protein intake is a goal of 170-200g per day.

I'm also kinda sorta following an intermittent fasting schedule. I work graveyard (6PM-6AM), and this eating schedule actually fits in quite naturally. I get up around 2 PM, drink some tea, work out, big breakfast around 4, lunch anywhere from 10:30 to midnight, and then fast till breakfast. I find it very easy to get my caloric intake in those 2 meals, and the hunger hasn't been an issue.

Success will be determined based on how strictly I adhere to this and my results. I've been doing this for over a week leading into the challenge and am pretty happy with it so far.

Points available: 2 STA, 2 CHA

Goal #3: Get Mobile

This one is simple. I'll be doing Molding Mobility every day, first thing. It takes 5-10 minutes and makes me feel awesome. How could I not?

Points available: 3 DEX, 1 CON

Goal #4: Get Smart

I'm going to start taking some online classes around the middle of this challenge, starting. I'm finishing up a few prerequisites for a Clinical Laboratory Scientist program that I want to get into next fall. This goal will probably be repeated in future challenges, as this class (Analytical Chemisty) goes til August, and I'll have more classes in the fall/spring.

The goal here is to get back into a school mindset. Do my homework. Do my studying. Kick general ass.

Points available: 3 WIS

Bonus goal: Get Inverted

A handstand has been a goal of mine for a while. It's really an impressive feat of strength, coordination and agility, plus it looks badass. My goal here is to get 5-10 minutes of handstand practice in every day, primarily doing wall handstands. No points here, just working toward something. I'll probably make this a main goal of a future challenge, but if I can get some work in now, sweet.

Starting Point:

Weight: 190.6 lbs (morning of 4/15)

Height: 6' 2"

Neck: 16.0"

Chest: 39.0"

Waist (Flexed): 35.75"

Waist (Unflexed): 36.75"

Biceps (L/R): 12.25"/12.5"

Forearms (L/R): 11.0"/11.0"

Thighs (L/R): 23.5"/23.75"

Calves (L/R):14.0"/14.0"

As a fellow "cutting" "get lean" "calorie cycling" " sorta following an intermittent fasting schedule" handstand-seeking assassin .... woohoo! :)

As a fellow "cutting" "get lean" "calorie cycling" " sorta following an intermittent fasting schedule" handstand-seeking assassin .... woohoo! :)

So much in common! Haha, can't wait to see you kill your handstand!

Will we be seeing some sombrero-wearing photos? ;)

I certainly live close enough to Mexico to get one.

Great goals!  I am really impressed with #2 and the fact you have your calories and protein figured out.  I had to search what TDEE meant, had no idea what it meant.  But now I know it's Total Daily Energy Expenditure! 

Good luck completing your challenge. Your first three goals are the exact same as mine!

BTW, I've always admired your handle. (screen name? user name? alias?) One of my favorite moments from The Office.

Nice to see you again BBB! :)

I'm sorry to hear about "him?" health... If you feel like you'll fell from the challenge wagon again, maybe you could try finding an accountabillybuddy group? It's sometimes easier to get motivated when part of a smaller group. Good luck!

That's really cool! I hope to see you get these goals!

Thanks!

Great goals!  I am really impressed with #2 and the fact you have your calories and protein figured out.  I had to search what TDEE meant, had no idea what it meant.  But now I know it's Total Daily Energy Expenditure! 

Good thing to know! There's a really good one that is linked to through the LeanGains website. I based mine off of the results from a few different calculators.

Good luck completing your challenge. Your first three goals are the exact same as mine!

BTW, I've always admired your handle. (screen name? user name? alias?) One of my favorite moments from The Office.

Nice! Let's see if we both can't get there!

What kind of bear is best?

Nice to see you again BBB! :)

I'm sorry to hear about "him?" health... If you feel like you'll fell from the challenge wagon again, maybe you could try finding an accountabillybuddy group? It's sometimes easier to get motivated when part of a smaller group. Good luck!

Thanks Nuala! It was about my grandpa; just fixed it. Proofreading FTW, haha.

4/15

Molding Mobility right after waking up.

Workout:

Chin Ups: 4, 3, 3(-2)

Pistol to nightstand: 6/6, 5/5, 5/5

Pike Pushup: 6, 5, 5

Assisted Pistol: 6/6, 5/5, 5/5

Inverted Row: 6, 5, 6

Diamond Pushup: 6, 5, 5

Everything felt good overall. Pistol form is improving for sure. Really starting to get the hang of working out fasted. I'm liking it more and more.

I took measurements for the first time today (added them to the initial post), and it certainly is awkward at first. Seems like it's something that I'll get better with over time.

So, this morning I was supposed to get on a plane in San Diego and go straight to Chicago by 12:40 PM. Well, the weather in the Midwest had other ideas and it's pushing 6 PM I'm now in Minneapolis. Having a big ol' Sam Adams because, f@#k it, today called for one. Anyway, I'll be back on track to Chicago tomorrow morning. And this unexpected detour means I get to visit my cousin who lives here in Minneapolis. So not too bad.

On a fitness related note, still keeping up on calorie tracking and mobility work. Airport delays are the perfect time to work on mobility :)

Thanks everyone!

So I'm heading back to San Diego later today after a great trip to Chicago. It took a day and half longer to get here than expected (multiple cancelled flights and eventually a 6 hour drive from Minneapolis to Chicago), but I got to spend a lot of time with my grandpa, and he was his usual wise-ass self.

I kept up my mobility work and basically tried not to go overboard on the diet front. Still had to have all my favorite Chicago and Polish foods though :)

Tomorrow the serious diet and workout routine continues.

Sorry to hear about your grandpa, hope you enjoyed your visit with him. I've been dealing with some of the same latley with my husbands grandpa. No fun times at all :-/

I'm also a fellow carb cycling, looking to lean, attempting a handstand assassin who is gread at starting challenges but loses steam along the way. Hopefully we can cheer each other on and do some good work and see results!!! :-)

Guh, travel woes.  Glad to hear you keeping up on your mobility work, what are the favorite Chicago/Polish foods?

Kielbasa, gyros, Vienna Beef hot dogs with everything, Italian beef sandwiches. All the delicious staples :)

Sorry to hear about your grandpa, hope you enjoyed your visit with him. I've been dealing with some of the same latley with my husbands grandpa. No fun times at all :-/

I'm also a fellow carb cycling, looking to lean, attempting a handstand assassin who is gread at starting challenges but loses steam along the way. Hopefully we can cheer each other on and do some good work and see results!!! :-)

Seems the common theme this challenge is that there's a lot of common themes this challenge. Hope you guys are all doing well.

Whew, survived my trip. And spent about a day and a half recovering. Switching from a night to day schedule and back really takes a lot out of you; I've spent a large chunk of the last 2 days sleeping. Still getting my mobility work in and picked my diet up right where I left it. And had a good workout today.

4/24

Pike Pushup: 6, 5, 6

Diamond Pushup: 6, 5, 5

Just about where I left things off last time. I'm expecting progress to be slow this challenge since my focus is on cutting; hopefully we'll see some modest strength increases. I'm planning on adding about a rep per week to each exercise (overall, not per set) in light of cutting and also to avoid rushing too fast and hurting myself (I did this pre-challenge with PB dips).

I've also expanded the spreadsheet I started this challenge to include calories per day, as well as weight and measurements. No such thing as too much data.

Oh, and my textbook for my Analytic Chem class came while I was away. I'm actually more excited than anything to have classes to take again. We'll see if I have the same attitude once the first exam comes around, but for the time being I'm psyched.

4/25

Went for a little run today. I had putzed around with C25K a while back and am thinking about picking it up again. I'm just going a little stir crazy on "rest" days and this seems to fit in well with my goal of cutting. I also want to (eventually) incorporate sprinting into my routine, and think that getting my form down and my body used to running would be a good start.

Also, I am falling more and more in love with this eating-2-meals-a-day-IF thing I've been doing lately. I still get to eat 2 relatively large, satisfying meals and working out fasted is becoming more and more enjoyable. I've had no real issues hitting macros (yesterday I hit 207g protein at ~190 lb bodyweight). It's basically good to not stress about food.

4/26

Workout!

Pike Pushup: 6, 5, 6

Diamond Pushup: 6, 5, 6

Everything felt good. The push ups were pain free for the first time in a while (either shoulder or wrist soreness). 

Did some grocery shopping today and have curried chicken salad, coconut fried tilapia and some tuna cakes on the horizon. Om nom.

It's a precursor to handstand pushups. You can eventually move your feet up onto a box so thay your arms take a greater portion of your bodyweight. They're a little weird at first; the big thing that helped me was trying to focus on keeping my upper body straight and my arms straight over my head.