• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

BearsBeetsBSG

BearsBeetsBSG: "What fun is being cool if you can't wear a sombrero?"

- The quad DOMS that I was expecting from yesterday's pistol negatives sure didn't disappoint. I'm taking this as a good sign that I've found a way to really work the full ROM more effectively (thanks for the suggestion, Wolverine!)

Awesome!  Glad that they're working for you!!!

5/10

Workout log:

Usual warm up

Skill Work:

Ring support work - 2 mins

- Holds for time

L-Sit work - 5 mins

- Pushing off the ground, one leg off the ground at a time, attempting tucks

Handstand work - 5 mins

- Wall walks and stomach to wall handstands

Workout:

Chin Ups - 4, 4, 4 (-1) 

Partial Pistols - 5/5, 5/5, 5/5

Elevated OAPU - 4/4, 4/4, 5/5

Single Leg Glute Bridge - 5/5, 5/5, 6/6

BW Row - 7, 7, 7

Pike Pushup - 7, 7, 7

- Another all around good workout. Felt a little more worn down throughout it, but my Friday workouts are usually like that. On Mondays, I'm always in tip-top ass kicking form.

- Finally hit a stage on my hip thrust progression that's challenging enough. Woo!

- Rows and pike push ups just keep chugging along. At this rate I'll probably be onto the next progression before the challenge is over. Both will be getting feet elevated --> more work for my upper body.

- OAPU felt even better today. Really learning how to get all the musculature involved; today I really focused on my chest.

- Side note: I don't think I'll ever mentally get used to eating breakfast at 4:30 in the afternoon. Silly night shift.

You've made some pretty awesome progress.  Real solid workout, very similar to what I was doing a little over a year ago.

That's tough to work support and L-sits back to back like that.  Might be worth it to focus on one or the other per workout, rotating them.  Could lift the knees/legs while doing ring support work if you feel your abs need extra work. 

Good call moving on to the elevated OAP's as quick as possible.  Dealing with the rotation is arguably harder than the pressing with the arm.  No sense overfocusing on the arm then waiting for the rest to catch up.

You've made some pretty awesome progress.  Real solid workout, very similar to what I was doing a little over a year ago.

That's tough to work support and L-sits back to back like that.  Might be worth it to focus on one or the other per workout, rotating them.  Could lift the knees/legs while doing ring support work if you feel your abs need extra work. 

Good call moving on to the elevated OAP's as quick as possible.  Dealing with the rotation is arguably harder than the pressing with the arm.  No sense overfocusing on the arm then waiting for the rest to catch up.

Thanks!

Interesting call on the support/L-sit. I feel like my abs are very much the weak point in my L-sit; even after my support holds, my abs definitely feel like the weak link in my L-sits. I'll try the ab work in conjunction with the ring support next time.

For the OAP's, I feel like at this point, rotation is little to no issue. But I keep hearing about how it's the big, bad problem. So I look for it. I basically try as hard as I can to keep my chest as parallel with the ground as it is with normal pushups. Is that what I should be looking for? Or is it just an issue that will show up as the OAP's get lower?

Nice, you're progressing fantastically!

Thanks, bud!

5/13

Workout log:

Usual warm up

Skill Work:

L-Sit work - 5 mins

- Pushing off the ground, one leg off the ground at a time, attempting tucks

Workout:

Chin Ups - 5, 4, 4 (-1) 

Negative Pistols - 4/4, 4/4, 3/3

Elevated OAPU - 5/5, 4/4, 5/5

Single Leg Hip Thrust, shoulders elevated - 5/5, 5/5, 6/6

BW Row - 8, 7, 7

Pike Pushup - 8, 7, 7

- Not too much to say about the workout; the numbers speak for themselves. I did do an abbreviated skill work session just because I was feeling somewhat crunched for time.

- Diet this weekend was spot on, except for a pretty large number of beers. I definitely felt like it was needed, though.

- I've noticed that I'm really getting more efficient, food wise. My repertoire of recipes is getting larger, and I basically plan out a week worth of meals ahead of time, and buy just the ingredients for that. Which usually means my typical breakfast stuff (lots of eggs, milk, veggies, etc.) and the ingredients for whatever recipes I'm making for lunch/dinner (the other meal I eat per day, haha). This whole IF/2 meals a day thing has really been a nice simplification.

For the OAP's, I feel like at this point, rotation is little to no issue. But I keep hearing about how it's the big, bad problem. So I look for it. I basically try as hard as I can to keep my chest as parallel with the ground as it is with normal pushups. Is that what I should be looking for? Or is it just an issue that will show up as the OAP's get lower?

Waldo can chime in with something more scientific than I, but from a personal experience standpoint... I didn't notice the rotation until I was on the ground.

Whew, it's been a hot minute since I updated this thread. The good news is this wasn't an "I gave up on my challenge and stopped working out" kind of not updating. Just the "sweet Jesus, have I been busy" kind.

First things first, workout logs:

5/15

Usual Warm Up

Workout:

Chin Ups - 5, 4, 4 (-1) 

Partial Pistols - 4/4, 4/4, 5/5

Elevated OAPU - 5/5, 5/5, 5/5

Single Leg Hip Thrust, shoulders elevated - 5/5, 5/5, 6/6

BW Row - 8, 8, 7

Pike Pushup - 8, 8, 7

5/17

Usual Warm Up

Workout:

Chin Ups - 5, 5, 4 (-1) 

Negative Pistols - 3/3, 3/3, 3/3

Elevated OAPU - 6/6, 5/5, 5/5

Single Leg Hip Thrust, shoulders elevated - 6/6, 5/5, 5/5

BW Row - 8, 8, 8

Pike Pushup - 8, 8, 8

5/22

Usual Warm Up

Workout:

Chin Ups - 5, 5, 5

Partial Pistols - 4/4, 4/4, 4/4

Elevated OAPU - 6/6, 6/6, 5/5

Single Leg Hip Thrust, shoulders elevated - 6/6, 6/6, 5/5

Feet Elevated BW Row - 4, 4, 4

Feet Elevated Pike Pushup - 4, 4, 4

5/24

Usual Warm Up

Workout:

Chin Ups - 5, 5, 5

Negative Pistols - 4/4, 3/3, 3/3

Elevated OAPU - 6/6, 6/6, 6/6

Single Leg Hip Thrust, shoulders elevated - 6/6, 6/6, 6/6

Feet Elevated BW Row - 4, 4, 4

Feet Elevated Pike Pushup - 4, 4, 4

Whew. So, a few new things:

- Skipped my workout on Monday 5/20. Slept in several hours later than usual after feeling completely wiped out after work. Figured I could use the rest.

- Diet continues to remain pretty damn spot on. I haven't been counting calories very much recently, but I feel like I have a better sense of my intake. I think strict tracking will be a part of next challenge. 

- 2 exercises moved up to a new progression: rows and pike pushups. For the rows, I have my feet up on my dog's food container (about 17" raised), and for the the pike pushups, I have my feed up on my dresser (about 30" up). Both are SIGNIFICANTLY harder than the previous variation, and I love it. The rows actually gave me some good DOMS after the first day. Still feel like the pike pushups need a little work on form, mostly trying to have my body straight aside from the bend at my hips. Psyched on the progress though.

- Definitely pleased with the chin up progress. I'm gonna try to start getting into that 6 rep range next week.

- OAPU progress is going well. I think once I hit 8/8 across all my sets, I'll move down to the dresser I'm using for the pike pushups (about a 10" drop).

- The more I do the hip thrusts, I feel the better I get at them. Feeling them more and more in my glutes each time.

- I cut back on the reps on the pistol negatives/partial pistols so as to not sacrifice form for reps. Definitely made a big difference. I was able to do more quality reps across all 3 sets.

- I got an 87 on my first quiz for my analytical chem class. Not bad, but I felt like I could do better. First exam is coming up on Tuesday, so I definitely plan on hitting the books hard this weekend.

- Plane tickets purchased. Vermont from July 10th-17th. Beyond excited.

Rep quality really makes a difference with pistols.  I dropped my working weight down a lot to rework some form details and made as strong of gains strength-wise and muscle size wise as I've ever made.  Its one of those exercises, the better your form is, the more beneficial the exercise is (this is in fact true with almost all exercises).

I always get really epic cramps from doing hip thrusts, never really worked them enough to get through the cramps.

Awesome work!  As I haven't been able to do any lower body for quite some time, I'm planning on taking my return as a nice excuse to really clean up and concentrate on my form.

Final writeup:

Whew, took me a while to get to this.

Goal #1 Get Strong:

Saw some pretty great increases here. Moved on to working OAPU. Moved on to elevating my feet for pike pushups and bodyweight rows. Increased my chin ups in a workout from 10 to 15. And I'm feeling closer than ever to getting that first pistol. I did miss several workouts throughout, so I'm going with a B for this one

Grade: B

+ 3 STR

Goal #2 Get Lean:

At the end of the challenge, my weight was 182.4 lbs, meaning that I lost a total of 8.2 lbs from the start of this challenge. My diet was close to perfect throughout, barring a few nights of going out for beers. Also, I saw my now-recent ex the other day and she even thought that I looked like I lost some weight. Hooray for validation.

Grade: A

+ 2 STA, + 2 CHA

Goal #3 Get Mobile

Did my molding mobility every day, and based on that experience, will continue to.

Grade: A

+ 3 DEX, + 1 CON

Goal #4: Get Smart

After 1 quiz and 1 exam in my Analytical Chem class, I now have a 91.2% for a grade so far. Seeing as that is an A-, I'm giving myself an A-

Grade: A-

+ 2.75 WIS

Now a Level 3 Cossack Assassin!

STR: 2.5 --> 5.5

DEX: 2.5 --> 5.5

STA: 2 ----> 4

CON: 5 ---> 6

WIS: 3 ----> 5.75

CHA: 5 ----> 7