• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

BearsBeetsBSG

BearsBeetsBSG: "What fun is being cool if you can't wear a sombrero?"

You can also do a diamond variant of the pike pushup for grins sometime.  See if it hits different muscle groups.   Good job:)

Just tried them for aforementioned grins. First one = face in floor. I can do about 2/3 of the ROM of it. Definitely feels more triceps dependent than anything.

4/27

Another run today. It felt good, not too strenuous. I think on Tuesday I'll start really keeping track of these and following the C25K plan seriously. It just feels good to get out there and do something every day.

4/29

Workout

Chin Ups: 4, 4, 3(-2)

Pistol to nightstand: 6/6, 6/6, 5/5

Pike Pushup: 6, 6, 5

Assisted Pistol: 6/6, 6/6, 5/5

Inverted Row: 6, 6, 5

Diamond Pushup: 6, 6, 6

- I was reading Waldo's thread for ideas (as I feel every other assassin here does), and came across his post on finger/hand strength. For a while I've been trying to figure out how to go about strengthening my hands and this post was exactly what I needed. I started incorporating some of this work into my warm up. At this point I'm doing:

- Knee fingertip planks

- Knuckle dead hangs

- Knee wrist push ups

- Knee 1st knuckle push ups

4/30

- Week 1 Day 1 of C25K. Went great! I'm loving the hell out of my new running shoes, as well.

Oh, I haven't really been mentioning it in my logs, but I have done Molding Mobility every day so far this challenge. The two biggest things I've noticed are:

- Any sort of ache/pain/soreness that I wake up with is usually gone/much better by the time I'm done mobilizing

- Creaks/pops/cracks in my shoulders and ankles have definitely decreased

So far, so good!

5/1

My girlfriend of nearly 3 years broke up with me today. Right now, I'm still mostly in shock, though at the same time I felt like I saw it coming. We had been on a "break" for a short time, and she basically told me that she doesn't feel like she can be in a relationship. That she would just be stringing me along and that it would be unfair to me. The whole conversation was strangely amicable. I woke up to a text where she asked if we could talk today (que butterflies of nauseating doom),  and I just felt like I knew what was coming. Though it's the last thing in the world that I wanted to happen, I'm not angry with her. I just feel like she needs some time to grow up. She asked if we could still talk; I told her that it would be a while, probably a long time, until I'd be comfortable with that.

As far as the challenge goes, I have no idea how this news will affect it. Maybe I'll take all of my negative emotions and channel it into improving myself (hoping for this). Maybe I'll fall apart and binge drink and stop exercising and wallow in self pity (hoping for not this). Time will tell. I'll try my damndest to keep on the assassinating train.

In good news, I did get a workout in today. I felt very distracted the whole time, but it also felt decently productive.

Today's workout:

Chin Ups: 4, 4, 3(-2)

Pistol to nightstand: 6/6, 6/6, 5/5

Pike Pushup: 6, 6, 5

Assisted Pistol: 6/6, 6/6, 5/5

Inverted Row: 6, 6, 5

Diamond Pushup: 6, 6, 6

For now, at least, it's time for sushi and beer.

Suck.  I'm sorry to hear about the break-up.  Even when it's the best option for everyone involved and you part on good terms... it sucks and it's painful.  One of my close friends is dealing with a similar situation.  A lot of "It's for the best so why does it still hurt so much?" kind of talk.

Just know that it's gonna hurt for awhile, BUT that hurt will lessen every minute/day/week/month and you WILL heal.

It's going to be tough to stick with your healthy lifestyle with all this emotional garbage so make sure to give yourself the best possible chance of success.  Be extra careful to remove temptations, remove roadblocks to good habits, and build them in front of bad ones.  Keep checking in here and let your fellow Assassins share some of the burden... and find a IRL accountability buddy who will listen and give you a good smack (when necessary).

Like the others, really sorry to hear about the breakup.

It's always extremely painful and takes a long time to heal.  Give yourself time to grieve.  Figure out ways to channel your loss into positive avenues, but forgive yourself when it gets channeled into negative emotions.

And we're all here for you.

Break ups are like emotional tornados;  they are devastating, they level everything.  They hurt.  Cleaning up that emotional mess is a huge project.  Daunting.  The good part is that this is a chance to chuck all the bad crap that went with this relationship.  Remember, the finger points both ways.  Be sure to own what's yours, but be just as sure to give her credit for what's hers.  Depending on the other stuff going on in her life, and/or how messed up she is in general, this may have less to do with you than you think.

A good binge drunk with your bachelor buddies is a great way to get rid of some pain.  Falling apart and drowning in a bottle isn't.  Keep working on becoming a chiseled greek god.  It'll help clear your head and has the bonus perk of making you "the one that got away".

This is an unwelcome challenge, but its what you've been given.  So attack it like your other challenges.  You can do this.

hugs.Good for you for getting a workout done today. Sorry about your breakup,that is tough

Thanks; wasn't easy but I got it done :)

Suck.  I'm sorry to hear about the break-up.  Even when it's the best option for everyone involved and you part on good terms... it sucks and it's painful.  One of my close friends is dealing with a similar situation.  A lot of "It's for the best so why does it still hurt so much?" kind of talk.

Just know that it's gonna hurt for awhile, BUT that hurt will lessen every minute/day/week/month and you WILL heal.

It's going to be tough to stick with your healthy lifestyle with all this emotional garbage so make sure to give yourself the best possible chance of success.  Be extra careful to remove temptations, remove roadblocks to good habits, and build them in front of bad ones.  Keep checking in here and let your fellow Assassins share some of the burden... and find a IRL accountability buddy who will listen and give you a good smack (when necessary).

Thanks. The whole "best for everyone but still sucks" thing is very true. Just gonna take some time. And thanks for all the kick ass advice!

Like the others, really sorry to hear about the breakup.

It's always extremely painful and takes a long time to heal.  Give yourself time to grieve.  Figure out ways to channel your loss into positive avenues, but forgive yourself when it gets channeled into negative emotions.

And we're all here for you.

Thank you

Break ups are like emotional tornados;  they are devastating, they level everything.  They hurt.  Cleaning up that emotional mess is a huge project.  Daunting.  The good part is that this is a chance to chuck all the bad crap that went with this relationship.  Remember, the finger points both ways.  Be sure to own what's yours, but be just as sure to give her credit for what's hers.  Depending on the other stuff going on in her life, and/or how messed up she is in general, this may have less to do with you than you think.

A good binge drunk with your bachelor buddies is a great way to get rid of some pain.  Falling apart and drowning in a bottle isn't.  Keep working on becoming a chiseled greek god.  It'll help clear your head and has the bonus perk of making you "the one that got away".

This is an unwelcome challenge, but its what you've been given.  So attack it like your other challenges.  You can do this.

It's definitely still ground zero; a lot to sort through and make sense of. Thanks for the encouragement. Definitely a good way to look at things.

That sucks to hear about your break up, Take the time you need to get over this.

Thanks a bunch

So the last couple days have been very non-fitness oriented. Coming to terms with things, beers with friends and a lot of talking with my family back in Vermont. Basically in the process of figuring out what has happened, where I'm at and where to go from here. My plan is to get my head straight enough as soon as possible to get back on the fitness train. I work a ton this weekend so Monday, look out.

Thanks again everyone, for the advice, the encouragement and kind words. It really means a lot :)

5/6

I'm back and ready to channel some negative energy into kicking ass.

Operation: One That Got Away is in full effect.

Warmup:

Hollow hold - 15s

Side Plank - 15s each side

Arch hold - 15s

Knee fingertip plank - 15s

Knee wrist PU - 5

Knee 1st Knuckle PU - 5

Knuckle dead hang - 15s

Wall slides - 10

Shoulder dislocates - 5 pronated, 5 supinated

And some burpees

Skill Work:

Ring support work - 2 mins

- Holds for time and slowly RTO

L-Sit work - 5 mins

- Pushing off the ground, one leg off the ground at a time, attempting tucks

Handstand work - 5 mins

- Wall walks and stomach to wall handstands

Workout:

Chin Ups - 4, 4, 4 (-1) 

Partial Pistols - 5/5, 5/5, 5/5

Elevated OAPU - 5/5, 5/5, 8/8, 2/2

Glute Bridge - 10, 10, 10

BW Row - 6, 6, 7

Pike Pushup - 6, 6, 7

- All in all, took a little over an hour to complete.

- I tweaked my routine some. And have vowed to myself that it will be the LAST TIME for 6 months. I am quite prone to fuckarounditis and really need to stay consistent. Everything in there has clear progressions to work on for some time, so I should be good.

- Took out the assisted pistols; they felt redundant to do alongside the partial pistols. Swapped them out for the glute bridges (progressing to single leg hip thrusts) to get some posterior chain work in. I'll be moving up to shoulder elevated hip thrusts next workout: bridges were super easy.

- Also swapped out the diamond pushups for elevated OAPU. My ultimate goal is one arm pushups, so it just seemed to make sense. Today was more of a learning day than anything; learning how to deal with the rotation, foot placement, arm placement, all that good stuff. I think the first few sets I had my feet too close to my bookshelf that I'm using and it made them too easy. I moved them back maybe 8 inches for the last set and it made a world of difference. Excited.

- Added in some OG style skill work. L-Sits and handstands are eventual goals of mine; might as well start now, if only just a little at a time.

- Moved down my surface for the pistols about 4 inches (nightstand to dog food container, haha). World of difference. Harder, grindier and way more glute involvement. I am gonna have a sore ass tomorrow.

All in all, really happy with how today went. I think I'll like this setup going forward.

5/6

I'm back and ready to channel some negative energy into kicking ass.

Operation: One That Got Away is in full effect.

Warmup:

Hollow hold - 15s

Side Plank - 15s each side

Arch hold - 15s

Knee fingertip plank - 15s

Knee wrist PU - 5

Knee 1st Knuckle PU - 5

Knuckle dead hang - 15s

Wall slides - 10

Shoulder dislocates - 5 pronated, 5 supinated

And some burpees

Skill Work:

Ring support work - 2 mins

- Holds for time and slowly RTO

L-Sit work - 5 mins

- Pushing off the ground, one leg off the ground at a time, attempting tucks

Handstand work - 5 mins

- Wall walks and stomach to wall handstands

Workout:

Chin Ups - 4, 4, 4 (-1) 

Partial Pistols - 5/5, 5/5, 5/5

Elevated OAPU - 5/5, 5/5, 8/8, 2/2

Glute Bridge - 10, 10, 10

BW Row - 6, 6, 7

Pike Pushup - 6, 6, 7

- All in all, took a little over an hour to complete.

- I tweaked my routine some. And have vowed to myself that it will be the LAST TIME for 6 months. I am quite prone to fuckarounditis and really need to stay consistent. Everything in there has clear progressions to work on for some time, so I should be good.

- Took out the assisted pistols; they felt redundant to do alongside the partial pistols. Swapped them out for the glute bridges (progressing to single leg hip thrusts) to get some posterior chain work in. I'll be moving up to shoulder elevated hip thrusts next workout: bridges were super easy.

- Also swapped out the diamond pushups for elevated OAPU. My ultimate goal is one arm pushups, so it just seemed to make sense. Today was more of a learning day than anything; learning how to deal with the rotation, foot placement, arm placement, all that good stuff. I think the first few sets I had my feet too close to my bookshelf that I'm using and it made them too easy. I moved them back maybe 8 inches for the last set and it made a world of difference. Excited.

- Added in some OG style skill work. L-Sits and handstands are eventual goals of mine; might as well start now, if only just a little at a time.

- Moved down my surface for the pistols about 4 inches (nightstand to dog food container, haha). World of difference. Harder, grindier and way more glute involvement. I am gonna have a sore ass tomorrow.

All in all, really happy with how today went. I think I'll like this setup going forward.

Awesome workout-you get a lot done in an hour. I think I'm going to take your idea to keep lowering the surface for the pistols. Seems like a good way to progress it

Great workout!

Re: Pistols - You could do partials one workout, assisted the next, and negatives (or holds or box pistols or... etc.) the next... then repeat.  All the variations have benefits, it would be good to capitalize on them.  Maybe limit it to three variations (or even two... with at least one full ROM movement).  Variation A, Variation B, Variation C with a workout every week.  Just a thought.  Best of both worlds, have your cake and eat it too, etc. ;)

Thanks guys! And Wolvie, took the idea and did negatives today. Holy gonna-have-quad-DOMS-tomorrow.

5/8

Warmup: Same as last time. Probably not gonna write it up each time.

Workout:

Chin Ups - 4, 4, 4 (-1) 

Negative Pistols - 4/4, 4/4, 3/3

Elevated OAPU - 4/4, 4/4, 4/4

Shoulder Elevated Hip Thrust - 10, 10, 10

BW Row - 7, 6, 7

Pike Pushup - 7, 6, 7

- I was feeling pretty crunched for time, so I opted to skip the skill work today.

- Went into today still having noticeable glute and triceps DOMS from Monday. Those lowered pistols/elevated OAPU really did a number. And today, they just got worked pretty hard again.

- Negative pistols were super taxing, but felt good. I was able to keep them slow and controlled and balanced; no hanging onto anything. Definitely gonna feel those.

- Kept my feet back further back on the elevated OAPU. Made them noticeably more difficult. I'm already falling in love with them :)

- Shoulder elevated hip thrusts were also relatively easy. Elevating the feet next time.

NICE.

^ I agree, AWESOME!

Thanks guys!

So just a few notes on today:

- The quad DOMS that I was expecting from yesterday's pistol negatives sure didn't disappoint. I'm taking this as a good sign that I've found a way to really work the full ROM more effectively (thanks for the suggestion, Wolverine!)

- I'm planning a trip back home to VT sometime in July, and my first two thoughts were 1) "Does my sister still have her pull up bar?" and 2) "Can't forget my rings!" This shit is just downright infectious.

- My life goal is now in full effect for this challenge; my analytical chem class started on Monday. First quiz next Wednesday. As far as working out is concerned, my M/W/F strength routine shall remain untouched. Anything else really takes a backseat to studying. Bring on the spectoscopy!

- I freaking love GMB's podcasts.

I just started listening to GMB's podcast too and love them. To do the neg. pistols I'm assuming you just start from the squat position and stand up? I will have to try that.

Your doing awesome on the challenge!

I just started listening to GMB's podcast too and love them. To do the neg. pistols I'm assuming you just start from the squat position and stand up? I will have to try that.

Your doing awesome on the challenge!

For the negatives, I start standing with one leg out in front and lower myself as slowly as possible. It really forces you to contract everything throughout the whole motion. I also hold the bottom position for a few seconds, then lower my other leg to stand back up.

And thanks!!

For the negatives, I start standing with one leg out in front and lower myself as slowly as possible. It really forces you to contract everything throughout the whole motion. I also hold the bottom position for a few seconds, then lower my other leg to stand back up.

And thanks!!

Thanks. I'm going to try that