Melry's First Challenge

Melry

Phew! Week 3 wrestled me to the ground and held me there for so long I didn't think I'd ever get back on my feet. Work is crazy, but I'm finding a little bit of balance...I think. Things will be picking up for the next couple of months, so I will have to be careful to not let it overwhelm me. However, the biggest problem from this past week was illness.

End of week 3 report:

Monday I came out strong with my best workout yet! Loved it. And then Tuesday I got so sick I could hardly move except for the numerous trips to the throne room. :( This carried over into Wednesday, so I skipped my workout hoping to do it on Thursday. Thursday turned into an almost non-stop try-to-get-everything-done kind of day that made Friday nearly impossible to get through due to exhaustion from lack of sleep. One highlight - I got to see Iron Man 3 at a private showing on Thursday just before pulling an all-nighter for work. Saturday wasn't so bad, but Sunday turned into a lazy day where I just could not get motivated to do anything. But I decided in the long run it was probably a good thing since I still needed to rest up from being so sick. So, while I didn't meet any of my goals for the week, I still feel like I can get back on track this week.

Speaking of which, normally I do my measurements on Sunday, but I forgot and did them this morning instead. Down almost 4 pounds! And lost another inch on my hips and waist. This very well could be because of being sick, but I'm going to say at least part of it is due to diet and exercise. :)

And, though my workout today was not as strong as last Monday, it still felt good to push as hard as I could. Struggling a bit to get motivated to walk. Work is busy enough that I get caught up in what I'm doing and forget to take breaks. Thinking I will set an alarm to go off every two hours so I can do a quick 10 minute walk.

Here's to week 4!

Human Adventurer, Level 3

STR 3.5 | DEX 1 | STA 7.5 | CON 8.5 | WIS 9.5 | CHA 2

First Challenge | Second Challenge | Third Challenge

Destiny is not a matter of chance, it is a matter of choice; it is not a thing to be waited for, it is a thing to be achieved.  --William Jennings Bryan

Hi Melry, how's week 3 been treating you? Work still crazy?

Ridiculously crazy. For the past three months I've been waiting on everyone else to finish up their assignments so I could pull it all together and get it ready for sending off by the deadline. And, of course, everyone procrastinated to the very end so I ended up with an extremely limited amount of time to do my part before the deadline. Sometimes I really hate group work. Especially when I'm the coordinator and can't seem to motivate anyone to do their stuff in a timely manner. *sigh* 

Thanks for checking on me. I will try to post updates a bit more frequently and see how everyone else is doing.

Hi Merly,

Sorry I hadn't gotten on here earlier, you gave me some good feedback and support. I am still new to this site and learning how everything works, and I have been super busy too. But I wanted to let you know that I appreciated your feedback. 

You have some really great goals here and I am inspired =) 

I agree with the footwear, good shoes and water are all you really need, but both are absolutely essential. I always wonder about people who go to the gym with no water bottle... anyways, footwear. I wear running shoes for walking and running. They need to be replaced every 3-6 months too, depending on how much use. 

I am doing the bodyweight workouts too! This week is going much easier, the first time I could barely move for three days! Lol. I am actually about to go do my workout, and I think I am going to try for three... last time there were some things I was able to do a third time, and some not so much. We'll see! 

It looks like even though life has done its thing and gotten in the way a little bit, you are still making good progress, I think that's what it is all about really. No matter what our intentions are, there is always going to be something that interferes with our plans. The key is to not let it hijack our results. Good luck and keep walking! =) 

Thanks! The body weight workouts I'm really starting to enjoy. I like seeing how far I can push myself each time, even though it just about kills me! The walking part is what I'm struggling with the most. If I had a bike available to me I think I'd switch out the walking for biking instead.

What shoes are you wearing to walk in?

How many calories are you eating per day? I'm told it's equally bad to not eat enough calories as it is to eat too many.

I'm wearing cross-trainers. They are a little old, so I bought a new pair last week, but I haven't used them yet. The biggest problem is that I have to wear hard plastic orthotics in my shoes because my scoliosis is bad enough it shortens one leg slightly and then my back kills me if I walk without them. I wear thick hiking socks to try to give a little cushioning, but it's still not enough. Would running shoes work better?

The nutritionist wants me at 1200 calories per day, but that makes me a little nervous because it seems so low so I try to eat closer to 1300 per day. Most of the calculations I've seen elsewhere say I should eat 1400 a day to lose the weight he wants me to for lowering my cholesterol. He wants me to lose 30 pounds before I see him again in 3 months, but then told me he doesn't think I'll be able to lose more than 15.

Destiny is not a matter of chance, it is a matter of choice; it is not a thing to be waited for, it is a thing to be achieved.  --William Jennings Bryan

AHHHHH! I'm losing my motivation. This week and next I'll have a lull at work, so I'm hoping to pull myself together and take control again. I am trying to figure out some goals for the next challenge and I think not letting work take over is a topic I need to explore.

Last week's update:

• I did horribly on my workouts - only one completed during the week.
  • But I did get caught up on the walking I had fallen behind on, so I'm back on track with that goal.
  • Haven't worked on my stock photography stuff at all, opting instead to do a lot of other photography assignment related things with my "photography time".
  • Blasting through the tracking food goal, though. That one seems to be an easier habit for me as I can keep MyFitnessPal up on my computer all day so entering food is quick and easy.

Despite not doing my workouts I still managed to lose another pound and 1/2 an inch on my hips.

Now my challenge for this week - getting caught up on my walking apparently injured me as I could hardly walk on my right foot Monday and Tuesday. It feels much better today, so I'm going to move forward with my normal workout/walking schedule and slow down if the pain starts getting worse. I'm wondering if part of it has to do with my shoes. I walked over 3 miles wearing my Teva sandals on Sunday with nothing more than some sore muscles (hamstring and back of knees hurt). Early Monday afternoon I walked 2 miles on the same route with my tennis shoes on and about 2/3 of the way through my right foot was really hurting. I feel better walking around the house with bare feet, but when I have my shoes my right foot still hurts. Any suggestions?

Hi Melry, How are you going? Last week of the challenge.....time for an update and pull some goal progress out the bag?

On the shoe front, there is certainly a movement out there in some quarters toward shoeless running/walking or thin soled shoes. Have a look at Mark's Daily Apple for some info on this, there are a few articles, this is one of them

I have some desert boots that have a thin sole, I have noticed that walking in them doesn't bother me at all so there could be something to this thin sole business. Certainly seem to be a lot of folk around here that rate Vibrams highly as well.

I just read your earlier post, several years back I used to get bad knee pains and had orthotics prescribed and made. I wore them for a while and it did resolve the pain but it didn't fix the underlying issue. Eventually they wore out a bit and caused me foot pain so I stopped using them and did exercises to strengthen my lower back and stretch out my muscles as well as lose a bit of weight, this fixed the knee problem without orthotics. I prefer to avoid them, I think they weaken the muscles so you end up reliant on them however I don't have any training or experience of medical conditions to be in any position to give out advice! It's just my opinion from my experience.

Endor, LVL 40 Half-Elf Ranger 

PR and Motivation Log | Current Battle Log 

Current Challenge (Jan 2021)

The last few weeks really took it's toll on me. Didn't finish as strong as I had hoped. *hangs head* However, I am determined to do better with the next challenge, albeit in an abbreviated form. Still lost weight, gained a little muscle, and learned a lot about myself. Loved working through the challenge and looking forward to more.

Grades and points:

Goal 1: Completed 10 workouts; received a C. 1.5 Strength points and 0.5 Constitution point.

Goal 2: Walked 30.2 miles; received an A! 3 Stamina points and 1 Constitution point.

Goal 3: Met with nutritionist, tracked calories every day, and began testing new foods; received an A! 3 Wisdom points and 2 Constitution points.

Goal 4: Studied photography options and began organizing photos, but never selected an agency and never uploaded any photos. Have decided that's not the direction I want to go. Received an F for the goal, but gained valuable insights, so still a win. 0 Wisdom points.

Important Information

New here? Please check out our Privacy Policy and Community Guidelines