• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Aeryn

Aeryn's Up and Down Challenge

Okay, this a random W00T - I started this whole challenge process last August, basically, just as the weather started to cool off. Now that it's getting warm here, I'm wearing short sleeves and sleeveless shirts. And I keep getting surprised by my muscles! I'll reach out to take something from someone at work, and my bicep's like "hey there." I mean, I've noticed getting more muscle-y during my workouts and mirror-posing moments, but the past few weeks are the first time I've noticed it during daily life. Yay for short sleeves and awesome arms!

Yay!! That's a super awesome w00t!!!! Congrats!!!

What an awesome w00t!   :D  Way to go.  Your hard work is paying off!! You'll need to start charging people for tickets to the gun show....   :)

Hahaha, definitely. :)

Woot. I approve.

Thanks!

What time is your morning routine starting at? Is it a "I need to consistently walk up at 5:00 am so I can get in all my workouts" or is it more like a "I can't let myself sleep in past 10:00 am again" kind of thing....? Just curious cuz I'm an early riser but can't seem to get a workout in early in the morning. 

I wake up at 7 on non-bodyweight workout days, and 6 on workout days. I keep thinking it'd be easier if I woke up at the same time every day, but I can't quite convince myself that that's better than my extra hour of sleep. For me, doing the workout in the morning is a matter of doing it before ANYTHING else - I wake up, put on workout gear, and start. If I take a minute to check email or do chores, the workout doesn't happen.

Thats really really sweet!! Its so awesome to notice progress in any shape size or form :) Especially the unexpected ones. In a way those are so much sweeter

Yeah, there's something cool about the unexpected W00Ts - I mean, all the reasons I decided to try to get strong are great, and being able to do a push-up is awesome, but I didn't know I was going to like how my muscles look, too. Sometimes it's good when successes are different from what you pictured. 

subbing in so I can watch the fun unfold!  Congrats on the WOOT, Aeryn!  It's great to see everyday markers of progress!

Yay, good to see you! And thanks - it's making me happy.

No problem ;)

Yes I track a lot. But I'm learning a lot from it too. I just really love gathering and analyzing data ;)

I'm actually looking into getting a job as a data scientist, so..... :tongue: (yes that's a thing)

Hooray!!! That's awesome!! :D

Data scientist, huh? That explains the crazy spreadsheets.

Yay!! That's a super awesome w00t!!!! Congrats!!!

Thanks!

Successfully woke up to my alarm this morning and got up immediately. My cats are going to have to learn that the alarm no longer means fifteen more minutes of snuggle-time, because they were both a bit surprised when I flailed my way out of bed and left them.

Also did my starting weigh-in, and I'll post that with my starting measurements tonight - probably should've measured first thing along with weighing, but oh well. Here we go!

Yay for arm definition!!!! So fun to actually SEE results :D

Seriously, visual feedback = the best!

Just posting to follow! Let's both get that pull up this challenge :)

Heck yeah. Gonna make this happen!

The jackhammer might be a great idea!  When I was in junior high, the military base in our district hosting several countries for urban warfare training that started between 5:30 and 6 each morning.  The rate of lates and absents in my school went down 40% during that time!  A little annoyance goes a long way.

Have you ever tried a dawn simulator alarm?  I swear, getting up is SO MUCH easier now that I have one.  Today, I didn't even consider hitting the snooze for possibly the first time ever.  (I've had the simulator for about 5 months now; I'm working up to getting out of bed properly!)

Successfully woke up to my alarm this morning and got up immediately. My cats are going to have to learn that the alarm no longer means fifteen more minutes of snuggle-time, because they were both a bit surprised when I flailed my way out of bed and left them.

Silly cats!! This made me smile  :glee: And yay for getting out of bed!

Where might one find this "spreadsheet of doom," you know, hypothetically? ;)

Here's a link: https://www.dropbox.com/s/0ep08yvdhl5jqfr/Weight%202.xlsx

It is awesome!

Well done on waking up straight away! It took me 30 minutes to get out of bed this morning... I need to take a page from your book!

Thanks - I actually can get up if I have a reason to, it's just that I've been letting my laziness win.

I woke up late this morning...lol... So good for you Aeryn! Can I borrow a page as well :tongue:

WOLF

Hah, my only advice is just to do it! Any sleep you get after the alarm goes off is inferior quality anyway - might as well get out of bed.

The jackhammer might be a great idea!  When I was in junior high, the military base in our district hosting several countries for urban warfare training that started between 5:30 and 6 each morning.  The rate of lates and absents in my school went down 40% during that time!  A little annoyance goes a long way.

Have you ever tried a dawn simulator alarm?  I swear, getting up is SO MUCH easier now that I have one.  Today, I didn't even consider hitting the snooze for possibly the first time ever.  (I've had the simulator for about 5 months now; I'm working up to getting out of bed properly!)

Wow, yeah, gunfire would definitely get me moving. I haven't tried the dawn alarms, but they look really cool. The ones I've seen are pretty expensive, though, so I'm hoping to make this work with my current alarm.

Just checking in, Spreadsheets FTW

Indeed!

Silly cats!! This made me smile  :glee: And yay for getting out of bed!

Yeah, the cats are big supporters of sleepiness. Also tuna, but that's actually good for me...

If anyone has any questions, I'll be glad to help.

I have one.

On the "Measurements" Tab, where do the "Ideal" Numbers come from?

Also, on the measurements Tab, it's sometimes linked to the relevant column from the Data Sheet. Here's a little helper function to retrieve the weight from the data worksheet for whatever date is on the measurements worksheet.

=OFFSET(INDIRECT(CONCATENATE("Data!",ADDRESS(MATCH(A4, Data!A:A,0),1))),0,1)

This is from the cell Measurements!B4

It takes whatever is in Measurements!A4, finds the matching date in the data worksheet, and grabs the value to the left of it.

So just replace the 'A4' with whatever cell you need.

If anyone has any questions, I'll be glad to help.

That is one awesome sheet :D

Not really for me though, because I don't track calories etc

But I really like what you did with your weight! Cool. I use daily, weekly, monthly weight... never thought of average per x days. (I do take overall averages)

I have one.

On the "Measurements" Tab, where do the "Ideal" Numbers come from?

Also, on the measurements Tab, it's sometimes linked to the relevant column from the Data Sheet. Here's a little helper function to retrieve the weight from the data worksheet for whatever date is on the measurements worksheet.

=OFFSET(INDIRECT(CONCATENATE("Data!",ADDRESS(MATCH(A4, Data!A:A,0),1))),0,1)
This is from the cell Measurements!B4

It takes whatever is in Measurements!A4, finds the matching date in the data worksheet, and grabs the value to the left of it.

So just replace the 'A4' with whatever cell you need.

Thanks. I knew it was possible to do, but I though it would be with the index function. Never got around to playing with it though.

The ideal comes from the Willoughby Ideal Athlete measurements. Almost like a numerical version of that drawing by DaVinci. A means of comparison for proportion.

Thanks. I knew it was possible to do, but I though it would be with the index function. Never got around to playing with it though.

The ideal comes from the Willoughby Ideal Athlete measurements. Almost like a numerical version of that drawing by DaVinci. A means of comparison for proportion.

There's the VLOOKUP and HLOOKUP functions as well. I use those in my sheets to... well look stuff up. :tongue:

They look up a cell value in a range, and for VLOOKUP you get to return a certain column, and for HLOOKUP a certain row within the specified range.

Only disadvantage is that it looks up the value in the first column/row of the range.

Very cool goals. And although not inclusive goals for this challenge, Gtg pull ups & continued hand stand work are my normal plan. I love spread sheets but haven't been hit by the tracking bug yet beyond what I already do for my running

Heck yeah. Gonna make this happen!

How are you training for those pullups? Doing rows? Elastic bands? Negatives? Very curious! Wanna swap some ideas :)

A brief search comes up with a few charts, but doesn't include all the measurements listed (the charts are usually neck, arm, fore, waist, chest, hip, thigh, calf ). Is there a formula or resource for this, or was this just some numbers you wanted for yourself. Thanks!

I don't really want to hi-jack this into a technical-detail thread, but do you have any tips on what the best way to track calories lost by exercising is?

Edited by RiotInferno

Woohoo, lookit all the spreadsheety usefulness. We'll corrupt more assassins yet! I mean, we'll share the joy. Right, that.

Very cool goals. And although not inclusive goals for this challenge, Gtg pull ups & continued hand stand work are my normal plan. I love spread sheets but haven't been hit by the tracking bug yet beyond what I already do for my running

Thanks - I'm getting more serious about the tracking partially because my weight has been steadily descending... and now I want it to stop. So keeping a closer eye on my numbers seems like a good plan.

How are you training for those pullups? Doing rows? Elastic bands? Negatives? Very curious! Wanna swap some ideas :)

Right now I'm doing 3x5 negatives, 3 times a week, plus 3x10 bodyweight rows on rings, though I hear those don't actually transfer very well. I quit using the bands sometime during last challenge, not sure why, they just kind of fell out of my workout sequence. I'm thinking I need more volume to get where I'm going, hence the GTG idea - maybe 5 extra negatives a day, in sets of 1 or 2? Also, I keep forgetting about chin-ups, I should try those again. What's your plan?

I like your goals. Tracking is definitely the way to go. It isn't easy (not by any stretch) but when is anything worthwhile easy?

And now you have to do a full bicep flex every time you check your watch, or a zyzz pose she  you are pointing something out to someone. ;)

Right now I'm doing 3x5 negatives, 3 times a week, plus 3x10 bodyweight rows on rings, though I hear those don't actually transfer very well. I quit using the bands sometime during last challenge, not sure why, they just kind of fell out of my workout sequence. I'm thinking I need more volume to get where I'm going, hence the GTG idea - maybe 5 extra negatives a day, in sets of 1 or 2? Also, I keep forgetting about chin-ups, I should try those again. What's your plan?

Oh you're doing a lot more than I am! Maybe I need to rethink this... I'm doing 3x3 negatives, 3 times a week. I'm doing those negatives as slow as possible.. My partner is sure that once I hit a 30 second negative I should be able to do a real one. That's why I'm doing such small sets, otherwise the last one would be more of a falling down :P

Actually I'm only doing negative chin-ups for now, then I'll move on to pull-ups, but I keep forgetting to call them that because in our gym we just call them both pull ups, overhand or underhand grip. 

I like your goals. Tracking is definitely the way to go. It isn't easy (not by any stretch) but when is anything worthwhile easy?

And now you have to do a full bicep flex every time you check your watch, or a zyzz pose she  you are pointing something out to someone. ;)

Haha, I'm trying not to be too bro-curl-ish about them... But it is fun to flex. :)

Oh you're doing a lot more than I am! Maybe I need to rethink this... I'm doing 3x3 negatives, 3 times a week. I'm doing those negatives as slow as possible.. My partner is sure that once I hit a 30 second negative I should be able to do a real one. That's why I'm doing such small sets, otherwise the last one would be more of a falling down :P

Actually I'm only doing negative chin-ups for now, then I'll move on to pull-ups, but I keep forgetting to call them that because in our gym we just call them both pull ups, overhand or underhand grip.

Whoa, those are some really slow negatives! I've been doing 5 second ones. May have to try swapping in some really slow ones. Oh, and I forgot flexed arm hangs, I'm doing those 3x a week, too - they are crazy hard.

Whoa, those are some really slow negatives! I've been doing 5 second ones. May have to try swapping in some really slow ones. Oh, and I forgot flexed arm hangs, I'm doing those 3x a week, too - they are crazy hard.

I tried doing a flexed arm hang starting by standing on a chair and trying to hold myself off the chair. I can't quite get all my weight off my feet. *puts on to-do list* This will happen eventually. Lol