• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Aeryn

Aeryn's Up and Down Challenge

Sounds like you've got a lot going on.  Personally, I love spreadsheets.  The engineer in me is all like, "Data data data data data..."

Good luck on everything! I'll be following along to cheer you on or kick you in the shin if you start slacking.  (The reason for kicking you in the shin is that you'll start hopping up and down on one leg, and that's much better exercise than whatever you do when someone kicks you in the butt.)

I tried doing a flexed arm hang starting by standing on a chair and trying to hold myself off the chair. I can't quite get all my weight off my feet. *puts on to-do list* This will happen eventually. Lol

Yes, it will - keep trying! I jump so my chin's above the bar and then cling there for as long as possible... though right now my left elbow complains when I do them, so I'm keeping 'em short. They take a good bit of grip strength plus forearm strength, which you don't really get from anything other than hanging on bars/rings or climbing.

Hey Aeryn!! Glad to see you are going to be back on your hands again - so COOL!!! Good luck with it this round!

Thanks! Looking forward to seeing where it takes me - or at least enjoying the new perspective!

Sounds like you've got a lot going on.  Personally, I love spreadsheets.  The engineer in me is all like, "Data data data data data..."

Good luck on everything! I'll be following along to cheer you on or kick you in the shin if you start slacking.  (The reason for kicking you in the shin is that you'll start hopping up and down on one leg, and that's much better exercise than whatever you do when someone kicks you in the butt.)

Yay data! I'm really interested to be able to see in real numbers what I've kind of worked out in my head - where my maintenance level is, particularly. And thanks for the promised shin-kicking - one-leg jumps are definitely a good workout. :tongue:

Workout this morning:

L-sit, half-bent knees (sec): 30/30/30

Attempted pull-up - 90% of the way there! Eyes just below bar.

Flexed arm hangs: 20 sec/15 sec (Left elbow is not a fan)

Half-pull-up plus negative: 2/2/2

Pull-up negative, 10 sec(5 sec): 1(2)/1(2)/1(2)

Pistol squat to 14" bench: 8/8/8

Bodyweight row, straight leg (bent knees): 4(6)/5(5)/5(5)

Push-ups: 12/12/12

Plank toe pull: 10/10/10

One-leg hip thrust: 12/12/12

Bar: Jump to inverted tuck, skin the cat, lower through tucked front lever.

Tried muuuuch slower pull-up negatives... makes it tough! Also took the grip tape off my bar - it was getting old and sticky and felt like it was messing up my grip more than helping. May leave the bar bare for a while, see how that goes.

Got up when the alarm went off - slept really badly last night, though, kept waking up. It was raining, which may have been part of it. I'm having one of those mornings where everything is bright and shiny and awesome, though, so I'm not going to worry about it! I'm also trying to stifle my perkiness for the sake of my coworkers. Heh.

Just a thought.  I track on Myfitnesspal.com...... it has an extensive food library so that you can simply have it all at your fingertips.  Also has a smart phone app so you can log food on the go.

Just a thought.  I track on Myfitnesspal.com...... it has an extensive food library so that you can simply have it all at your fingertips.  Also has a smart phone app so you can log food on the go.

I second this. I just started using this and it makes it very easy. I also enjoy the bar-code scanner on the smartphone app.

I second this. I just started using this and it makes it very easy. I also enjoy the bar-code scanner on the smartphone app.

I third this! I've been using it since the last challenge and it is awesome! Even for people not living in the US it works amazingly :)

Had to google that flexed arm hang- damn, that almost seems harder than doing an actual pull up. Will try that! How slow was your negative? Curious to see wether this 30sec prediction will turn out to be true. 

A brief search comes up with a few charts, but doesn't include all the measurements listed (the charts are usually neck, arm, fore, waist, chest, hip, thigh, calf ). Is there a formula or resource for this, or was this just some numbers you wanted for yourself. Thanks!

I don't really want to hi-jack this into a technical-detail thread, but do you have any tips on what the best way to track calories lost by exercising is?

Unfortunately I know of no such similar resource for women, but for men:

http://www.mm2k.com/bodybuilding-chart.html

It really is to be used as nothing more than a rough proportional guideline, for example I know my arms are small, thighs are large, waist is normal, chest is large, and calves normal (though asymmetric). I've been working on fixing side to side asymmetry now for a while, but next bulk I'm going to move toward extra remedial arm work

For calorie tracking, I use MFP. Running pace will always be the most accurate number, so I always use running burns as a maximum, unless I'm doing very high intensity exercise. For normal strength training I use the high effort callisthenics entry which gives a burn roughly 2/3 of my running pace, which seems right and works right with my data (remember, though you only work in short bursts, anaerobic exercise is MUCH less calorie efficient than aerobic exercise (18 times less effient to be exact), even though strength training isn't purely anaerobic, enough of it is to really burn a lot more calories than you'd think).

It really is to be used as nothing more than a rough proportional guideline, for example I know my arms are small, thighs are large, waist is normal, chest is large, and calves normal (though asymmetric). I've been working on fixing side to side asymmetry now for a while, but next bulk I'm going to move toward extra remedial arm work

For calorie tracking, I use MFP. Running pace will always be the most accurate number, so I always use running burns as a maximum, unless I'm doing very high intensity exercise. For normal strength training I use the high effort callisthenics entry which gives a burn roughly 2/3 of my running pace, which seems right and works right with my data (remember, though you only work in short bursts, anaerobic exercise is MUCH less calorie efficient than aerobic exercise (18 times less effient to be exact), even though strength training isn't purely anaerobic, enough of it is to really burn a lot more calories than you'd think).

Thank you very much Waldo. Those charts will be helpful.

Also, either: You want to help everyone (both genders) and aren't talking just to me, or I completely sound like a lady over the internet and need to work on my typing diction as well as body strength :)

Data, here I come!

I third this! I've been using it since the last challenge and it is awesome! Even for people not living in the US it works amazingly :)

Thanks for the recommendation - I use LoseIt! and it works really well for me, particularly since I've gotten most of my regular recipes into it. I've been tracking food pretty consistently, so this challenge I'm adding the spreadsheets so I can correlate that data with things like daily weight and measurements. Also, calculating body fat.

Awesome workout! And congrats on obeying your alarm!

What's a plank toe pull?

Thanks! Plank toe pulls are from Gold Medal Bodies: Plank Toe Pull. In that video, he makes it look easy - and also picks his feet up off the floor! My toes act like they're glued to floor when I try to pick them up - so I'm cruising along with the sliding part, and leaving that for muuuuch later.

Had to google that flexed arm hang- damn, that almost seems harder than doing an actual pull up. Will try that! How slow was your negative? Curious to see wether this 30sec prediction will turn out to be true. 

Yeah, the flexed arm hangs are tough! Static holds are sometimes a lot harder than dynamic movements - though my pull-ups get stuck at a spot a good bit lower than the flexed arm position, so I'm not sure they're doing a huge amount for me anymore. I did 10-sec negatives this morning, though I've pretty regularly done a flexed hold for as long as I can and then done a negative from there. I didn't try for my slowest possible negative - maybe I'll do that tonight, see if I can do 30 sec. Also, you might try the half-pullup with negative - those make me feel like I'm actually getting near the pull-up itself, at least.

Yeah, finding body proportion stuff for women is hard - and what I have found is really contradictory. I'm currently working with myself as a sample of 1, and discovering that at 20% bodyfat (right now), I'm about as lean as I want to be, and I definitely want to put on more muscle. So tracking calories along with weight/measurements, and tweaking from there to do some bulking, I suppose. Looking at stats for female athletes about my height (5'10"), they're all at least 10 pounds heavier than I am (I'm 130 lbs), with what I'd guess is a similar body fat %.

Oh hey, while I'm asking you things - do you know why the modified Y bodyfat calc puts me at 5% higher than the others? C-B says 20.1, Navy says 20.4, Y says 18.9, and then that one's at 25.9. Seems like a weird outlier.

Thank you very much Waldo. Those charts will be helpful.

Also, either: You want to help everyone (both genders) and aren't talking just to me, or I completely sound like a lady over the internet and need to work on my typing diction as well as body strength :)

Data, here I come!

Waldo's pretty awesome about trying to give us female resources too, since there are a good number of us in here trying this whole bodyweight strength thing without a lot of guidance! So don't worry about your writing sounding feminine. :)

WOOHOO DATA.

I just realized I never posted starting stats! So, based on some measuring and math, I'm at:

30 years old

5'10" (this isn't changing)

130 lbs (I'm hoping to make this go up over the next six weeks)

20% bodyfat (without making this go up too hugely)

Chest: 36"

Waist: 27"

Hips: 36.5

Thanks for the recommendation - I use LoseIt! and it works really well for me, particularly since I've gotten most of my regular recipes into it. I've been tracking food pretty consistently, so this challenge I'm adding the spreadsheets so I can correlate that data with things like daily weight and measurements. Also, calculating body fat.

Thanks! Plank toe pulls are from Gold Medal Bodies: Plank Toe Pull. In that video, he makes it look easy - and also picks his feet up off the floor! My toes act like they're glued to floor when I try to pick them up - so I'm cruising along with the sliding part, and leaving that for muuuuch later.

Yeah, the flexed arm hangs are tough! Static holds are sometimes a lot harder than dynamic movements - though my pull-ups get stuck at a spot a good bit lower than the flexed arm position, so I'm not sure they're doing a huge amount for me anymore. I did 10-sec negatives this morning, though I've pretty regularly done a flexed hold for as long as I can and then done a negative from there. I didn't try for my slowest possible negative - maybe I'll do that tonight, see if I can do 30 sec. Also, you might try the half-pullup with negative - those make me feel like I'm actually getting near the pull-up itself, at least.

Yeah, finding body proportion stuff for women is hard - and what I have found is really contradictory. I'm currently working with myself as a sample of 1, and discovering that at 20% bodyfat (right now), I'm about as lean as I want to be, and I definitely want to put on more muscle. So tracking calories along with weight/measurements, and tweaking from there to do some bulking, I suppose. Looking at stats for female athletes about my height (5'10"), they're all at least 10 pounds heavier than I am (I'm 130 lbs), with what I'd guess is a similar body fat %.

Oh hey, while I'm asking you things - do you know why the modified Y bodyfat calc puts me at 5% higher than the others? C-B says 20.1, Navy says 20.4, Y says 18.9, and then that one's at 25.9. Seems like a weird outlier.

Waldo's pretty awesome about trying to give us female resources too, since there are a good number of us in here trying this whole bodyweight strength thing without a lot of guidance! So don't worry about your writing sounding feminine. :)

WOOHOO DATA.

I just realized I never posted starting stats! So, based on some measuring and math, I'm at:

30 years old

Body proportions for both sexes always struck me as a matter of aesthetics, pretty much subjective.  Looking at your stats it seems like you have a nice, balanced foundation.  Your exercise and diet goals will have an effect that you will either like or not, so it sounds more like fine tuning than major remodeling.  In the past various Assassins have mentioned modeling their target look after sports figures that have similar body types.  Have you tried this, and what did you think of it if you did?

Body proportions for both sexes always struck me as a matter of aesthetics, pretty much subjective.  Looking at your stats it seems like you have a nice, balanced foundation.  Your exercise and diet goals will have an effect that you will either like or not, so it sounds more like fine tuning than major remodeling.  In the past various Assassins have mentioned modeling their target look after sports figures that have similar body types.  Have you tried this, and what did you think of it if you did?

I've looked at a variety of female athletes - the women I admire visually who are my height tend to weigh 10 to 20 pounds more than I do, but have similar body fat percentages - as far as I can tell visually, at least. So that's tending to make me think bulking up some would be worthwhile. Also, I want to do a pull-up, so adding muscle would be good... as long as I don't counteract the added muscle with too much added weight and make the pull-up that much harder.

Did my first handstand practice of the challenge tonight- so much fun! Five good handstands, each at least 20 seconds. I'm starting to find the balance point for freestanding, though I think I'm assuming I'm off vertical sometimes before I really am, so coming down unnecessarily. Pushing really hard with my hands tends to help with my balance, weirdly.

Sadly, looks like the 30 sec negative isn't the magic number for me- I did one tonight (35 sec, actually), but I'm still not quite at the full pull-up. I think the negative can kind of cruise past tough spots that end up being the sticking point on the way up. That is a crazy slow negative, though!

Thanks, Wolf! Glad to have you around again.  

Ooh, maybe. I did discover last challenge that I'm actually not great at posting in the accountabilibuddies threads regularly - too many places to keep track of. Or we can just bug each other in our threads...

Okay, this a random W00T - I started this whole challenge process last August, basically, just as the weather started to cool off. Now that it's getting warm here, I'm wearing short sleeves and sleeveless shirts. And I keep getting surprised by my muscles! I'll reach out to take something from someone at work, and my bicep's like "hey there." I mean, I've noticed getting more muscle-y during my workouts and mirror-posing moments, but the past few weeks are the first time I've noticed it during daily life. Yay for short sleeves and awesome arms!bicep

bicep muscles= awesomeness. WOOT

Yes, it will - keep trying! I jump so my chin's above the bar and then cling there for as long as possible... though right now my left elbow complains when I do them, so I'm keeping 'em short. They take a good bit of grip strength plus forearm strength, which you don't really get from anything other than hanging on bars/rings or climbing.

Got up when the alarm went off - slept really badly last night, though, kept waking up. It was raining, which may have been part of it. I'm having one of those mornings where everything is bright and shiny and awesome, though, so I'm not going to worry about it! I'm also trying to stifle my perkiness for the sake of my coworkers. Heh.

Grip and forearm strength is definitely somewhere that I'm super weak. Not sure how much time I will have to devote to it this challenge, but its definitely going on my list for future challenges cause I'd love to be able to do a pull up. Did you ever try a chin up?

Good job getting up even if you didn't sleep well. I find I don't sleep well if its too warm. This time of the year is always the trickiest cause its warm but the apartment complex hasn't turned on the AC yet (and living on the 4th floor, it gets quite warm sometimes). And yay for being perky :)

30 years old

Yay starting stats! Especially such awesome ones :)

I can hand you some of my fa- oh.

I'm also 5'10"... just... slightly heavier... *cough*180lbs*cough*

Then again my scale tells me I'm at 29.8% bf.. though I don't trust it...

Either way, Lex shared this link: http://bradpilon.com/weight-loss/womens-body-ideal-measurements/

I found it an interesting method haha.

And it sounds like you're still rocking on!!! :)

bicep muscles= awesomeness. WOOT

Yes indeed. :)

Body proportions and Pull ups/Hand stands?  Visualize traps, delts, and lats.  I'm thinking Linda Hamilton in T2:)

Oh man, absolutely. Just add 4 inches to her height.

Grip and forearm strength is definitely somewhere that I'm super weak. Not sure how much time I will have to devote to it this challenge, but its definitely going on my list for future challenges cause I'd love to be able to do a pull up. Did you ever try a chin up?

Good job getting up even if you didn't sleep well. I find I don't sleep well if its too warm. This time of the year is always the trickiest cause its warm but the apartment complex hasn't turned on the AC yet (and living on the 4th floor, it gets quite warm sometimes). And yay for being perky :)

Yay starting stats! Especially such awesome ones :)

I haven't tried a chin up in a couple weeks - must remember to attempt that in tomorrow's workout!

Temperature is tough - I like sleeping under blankets, but I also like saving money by not turning on the AC 'til I really need it. So I spend this time of year adjusting to sleeping under just one sheet instead of my pile of winter blankets, and it takes some work.

I can hand you some of my fa- oh.

I'm also 5'10"... just... slightly heavier... *cough*180lbs*cough*

Then again my scale tells me I'm at 29.8% bf.. though I don't trust it...

Either way, Lex shared this link: http://bradpilon.com/weight-loss/womens-body-ideal-measurements/

I found it an interesting method haha.

And it sounds like you're still rocking on!!! :)

Heh - I was around 170 lbs a couple years ago, at the point I realized that a desk job and a general lack of activity was causing my weight to creep upward. Sounds like you have more muscle mass than I did at that weight, though. That ideal measurements link is interesting! I'm low for their ideal LBM, right on the waist measurement, and I've never measured my shoulders, so no clue there - maybe I'll check that tonight.

VERY impressive handstands!

Thanks! They're wall handstands - not sure I made that clear in the post, so I'm definitely not balancing for 20 seconds on my own yet, more like 5 seconds as I tap off the wall with my toes. But it's getting better!

Woke up at 6 this morning - having done some more reading about waking up and getting good sleep, it looks like waking up at the same time every day is actually pretty important. So I'm trying it out - it was really weird having an extra hour of free time at the beginning of the day, though. I also ate breakfast early, which means I'm wanting my morning snack early. Details.

Oh man, absolutely. Just add 4 inches to her height.

I see Linda Hamilton in T2 as the female version of Gerard Butler in 300. Its kinda hard to get more badass than that.

Alarm clocks never worked for me. I just slept right through them until they gave up and shut off on their own. I even had two going off across the room. Good luck on all your goals! Yeah, I'm actually starting to get twitchy and ready to get back to my workout routine - evidently the one week off from bodyweight work was a good idea. I just like the snooze button on my alarm way too much. How do you get up on time?

Is your alarm clock your cell phone or an "old fashioned" type? For my last challenge it was my phone, and what I did was just turn the snooze feature off. Then the "if I don't get up RIGHT NOW ill fall back to sleep and be late for work" panic would motivate me right out of bed.

This is not to say that I LIKED it.... But it worked ;)

Your handstand progress sounds amazing!  Now to work on staying off the wall for 20 seconds.  ;)

Have you tried one-leg chair assisted pull ups?  I never actually did them, but I've heard they're a good stepping stone.

(Belated) thanks for the link to that video. I think I like it, I shall have to give it a try. I've been looking for something more dynamic to do as a core exercise, boring ol' planks are starting to lose their interest (and getting too easy). Gonna have to come up with a way to avoid rug burn, though, or do it in my kitchen...

All that spreadsheet talk is hurting my brain. I'll have to skim it from now on, to avoid data-related sudden-onset vertigo...

Temperature is tough - I like sleeping under blankets, but I also like saving money by not turning on the AC 'til I really need it. So I spend this time of year adjusting to sleeping under just one sheet instead of my pile of winter blankets, and it takes some work.

Me too!  Well, not quite yet, but I'll go through that in May/June.  It still gets below freezing every night here and probably won't consistently stay above freezing till next month.  I wish I could keep it at around 10 (50 F) in my bedroom year round and just sleep under massive piles of blankets, but I'm too cheap in the summer, and my mom won't tolerate the "cold" in the winter.

I see Linda Hamilton in T2 as the female version of Gerard Butler in 300. Its kinda hard to get more badass than that.

Yeah, she's pretty awesome.

Is your alarm clock your cell phone or an "old fashioned" type? For my last challenge it was my phone, and what I did was just turn the snooze feature off. Then the "if I don't get up RIGHT NOW ill fall back to sleep and be late for work" panic would motivate me right out of bed. This is not to say that I LIKED it.... But it worked ;)

My alarm's the standard old-fashioned type - i'm just not letting myself hit the snooze button. I think I'd be too worried about actually missing work to do your way!

Your handstand progress sounds amazing!  Now to work on staying off the wall for 20 seconds.   ;)

Have you tried one-leg chair assisted pull ups?  I never actually did them, but I've heard they're a good stepping stone.

Thanks! And yeah, much longer balances are my goal!

I've tried the one-leg chair assisted pull-ups, and my issue with them is it's very hard to tell how much your leg is helping. Your leg could be helping a ton one day and not much at all the next, and telling the difference is tough. I have been using assistance bands, though, since they're a certain amount of tension - but I'm on my lightest one, so I'm nearing the point where I'm on my own.

(Belated) thanks for the link to that video. I think I like it, I shall have to give it a try. I've been looking for something more dynamic to do as a core exercise, boring ol' planks are starting to lose their interest (and getting too easy). Gonna have to come up with a way to avoid rug burn, though, or do it in my kitchen...

All that spreadsheet talk is hurting my brain. I'll have to skim it from now on, to avoid data-related sudden-onset vertigo...

Definitely try it - I get bored during planks, so adding movement is cool. 

Me too!  Well, not quite yet, but I'll go through that in May/June.  It still gets below freezing every night here and probably won't consistently stay above freezing till next month.  I wish I could keep it at around 10 (50 F) in my bedroom year round and just sleep under massive piles of blankets, but I'm too cheap in the summer, and my mom won't tolerate the "cold" in the winter.

Yeah, it's a struggle every year. But I'll get used to it soon enough.

Okay, assassins, I have to say I LOVE my workplace. I work on a college campus, and they announced last week that the indoor rock-climbing area would be open to faculty and staff at lunchtime twice a week. So I just went bouldering on my lunch break. Seriously. It's actually a really cool space - it's a converted racquetball court, so not very big, but they've built out a lot of projections and corners to make it more interesting. Also, since they're working with a very small space, their routes overlap a lot, so instead of doing handholds of a certain color to mark a route, they have pieces of tape pointing to the holds - some of the holds have a lot of different routes that pass through them. It means I spent a good bit of time clinging to the wall and looking desperately for the next handhold, but overall it works really well. They even have climbing shoes you can borrow. My fingers are sore, though - the grip strength I'm developing via pull-ups doesn't really carry over!

This is totally getting added to my workout rotation. I was already sore today from pull-up work yesterday - we'll have to see whether I can move my arms tomorrow!