• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Aeryn

Aeryn's Up and Down Challenge

That's awesome about the bouldering wall! The climbing gym I go to does the same thing with its holds and the tape. I don't know if they're big or small for a climbing gym, but it lets them cram a lot of problems onto their walls.

I know what you mean about the grip not carrying over. I thought my grip was getting ok, and then I started climbing. Holy hell, my forearms were sore for the first while, and my ring fingers, strangely. It's progressing quite quickly, though, and I've only been doing dedicated work on it haphazardly.

Have you climbed much in the past, or is this a new(ish) thing for you?

(Belated) thanks for the link to that video. I think I like it, I shall have to give it a try. I've been looking for something more dynamic to do as a core exercise, boring ol' planks are starting to lose their interest (and getting too easy). Gonna have to come up with a way to avoid rug burn, though, or do it in my kitchen...

All that spreadsheet talk is hurting my brain. I'll have to skim it from now on, to avoid data-related sudden-onset vertigo...

I think I'm starting to see a schism form in the guild between the pro-spreadsheet and anti-spreadsheet crowds:)

I think I'm starting to see a schism form in the guild between the pro-spreadsheet and anti-spreadsheet crowds:)

It'll be like The Great Schism in the 11th century, only with fewer silly hats. We'll end up with the Holy Order of the Numbered Assassins and the Sacred Sect of Assassins Who Wing It. This is history in the making, and I, for one, am proud to be a part of it. 

Linda Hamilton is pretty great, but I'm still partial to Sigourney Weaver as Ripley.

Word.

Ripley had it going on, for sure.

Ooh, I agree with you on that. And she's about my height, too. Love it.

Damn, that's really great! Happy for you :) And a little bit jealous too, that sounds like so much fun AND a good workout.

It was pretty awesome - not sure how to record calorie burn for it, but I was definitely working!

That's awesome about the bouldering wall! The climbing gym I go to does the same thing with its holds and the tape. I don't know if they're big or small for a climbing gym, but it lets them cram a lot of problems onto their walls.

I know what you mean about the grip not carrying over. I thought my grip was getting ok, and then I started climbing. Holy hell, my forearms were sore for the first while, and my ring fingers, strangely. It's progressing quite quickly, though, and I've only been doing dedicated work on it haphazardly.

Have you climbed much in the past, or is this a new(ish) thing for you?

Climbing is a totally new thing for me - I've done a couple belayed climbs during various outdoorsy camps as a kid, but never did bouldering before. With all the people on here who climb, I'd started to get interested, so when the opportunity appeared, I was ready to leap. It was very beginner-friendly, though I'm sure my technique is horrible. Height is clearly a huge advantage, though - there were problems where I just skipped over holds to get to the ones I really wanted.

It'll be like The Great Schism in the 11th century, only with fewer silly hats. We'll end up with the Holy Order of the Numbered Assassins and the Sacred Sect of Assassins Who Wing It. This is history in the making, and I, for one, am proud to be a part of it.

Haha, as long as we don't end up re-enacting the Crusades, I think we'll be okay.

Even wall handstands are still great. That's all I can do with the occasional free balance for a few seconds. But I was amazed how much longer I could hold them in relatively short time.

Also I failed to mention before that you've got some pretty great stats too!

Lex shared this link: http://bradpilon.com/weight-loss/womens-body-ideal-measurements/I found it an interesting method haha.And it sounds like you're still rocking on!!! :)

Okay, I went back and remeasured tonight, and based on their "ideal measurements", I'm pretty much exactly at them for waist and shoulders, and 20 lbs under for lean body mass. I'm not sure how that works out, I think with 20 lbs more lean body mass, my measurements would be significantly different. But anyway, I'm thinking my tentative plan to bulk a little is still a good idea - I've basically been cutting for nearly 10 months (or 2 years, depending how you count it), now it's time to at least figure out real maintenance and then hopefully add some muscle.

Even wall handstands are still great. That's all I can do with the occasional free balance for a few seconds. But I was amazed how much longer I could hold them in relatively short time.

Also I failed to mention before that you've got some pretty great stats too!

Yeah, I'm hoping some intentional training will help with the handstand times, and particularly balance! And thanks for the compliment - those stats have been a long time coming, and I'm a little shocked to have arrived at this point - my goal has always been function, and the form has just been following it. Still looking for that pull-up, not focusing on my weight except what it can tell me about building muscle.

Climbing is a totally new thing for me - I've done a couple belayed climbs during various outdoorsy camps as a kid, but never did bouldering before. With all the people on here who climb, I'd started to get interested, so when the opportunity appeared, I was ready to leap. It was very beginner-friendly, though I'm sure my technique is horrible. Height is clearly a huge advantage, though - there were problems where I just skipped over holds to get to the ones I really wanted.

I've only been at it about a month and I absolutely LOVE it. And I'm feeling so much closer to a pull-up since I've started climbing, before it was just a vague goal, now it feels like something I will be doing in short order (though I'm still a long way off, you're a lot closer than me). And I hear ya on the height thing, you're quite a bit taller than me, I'm often half way up and staring at the hold I need to get to and can't for the life of me figure out how I'm supposed to reach it without an arm extension or something....

Ha I like this name better!

Heh - I was around 170 lbs a couple years ago, at the point I realized that a desk job and a general lack of activity was causing my weight to creep upward. Sounds like you have more muscle mass than I did at that weight, though. That ideal measurements link is interesting! I'm low for their ideal LBM, right on the waist measurement, and I've never measured my shoulders, so no clue there - maybe I'll check that tonight.

Okay, I went back and remeasured tonight, and based on their "ideal measurements", I'm pretty much exactly at them for waist and shoulders, and 20 lbs under for lean body mass. I'm not sure how that works out, I think with 20 lbs more lean body mass, my measurements would be significantly different. But anyway, I'm thinking my tentative plan to bulk a little is still a good idea - I've basically been cutting for nearly 10 months (or 2 years, depending how you count it), now it's time to at least figure out real maintenance and then hopefully add some muscle.

I wish it was that simple for me, it's food that's my problem. Can't outrun my fork :tongue:

And I also fail to stop overeating, so that also doesn't help.

Anyway. Sounds like you're on the way to greatness :D I think if you fall in the ranges they set, you're fine.

I'm sure getting more muscle will just make you more badass though!!

Are you 20lbs under the low target? That's great that your measurements are already where they need to be! Sounds like slow and steady is definitely your way to go. :)

I've only been at it about a month and I absolutely LOVE it. And I'm feeling so much closer to a pull-up since I've started climbing, before it was just a vague goal, now it feels like something I will be doing in short order (though I'm still a long way off, you're a lot closer than me). And I hear ya on the height thing, you're quite a bit taller than me, I'm often half way up and staring at the hold I need to get to and can't for the life of me figure out how I'm supposed to reach it without an arm extension or something....

It is definitely a lot of fun! And it does feel like it'll help with the pull-up, particularly since it gives you a reason to do one - to get to that handhold that's just out of reach!

Oh I think we can make one :D.... We'll call it chaos vs crazy ;)

Ha I like this name better!

Haha - awesome.

Seems like everbody is getting down in their challenges, upside down anyway.  Looking good on the challenge and great handstands!

Yupyup, love being upside down! Thanks!

I wish it was that simple for me, it's food that's my problem. Can't outrun my fork :tongue:

And I also fail to stop overeating, so that also doesn't help.

Anyway. Sounds like you're on the way to greatness :D I think if you fall in the ranges they set, you're fine.

I'm sure getting more muscle will just make you more badass though!!

Hah, yeah, the food thing is tough. I cut wayyyy down on soda and switched a lot of my snacks to fruit, which helped a lot. And I have a day every week where I ignore the calorie counts and have what I want, which I think has kept me sane. More badass is definitely my goal!

Are you 20lbs under the low target? That's great that your measurements are already where they need to be! Sounds like slow and steady is definitely your way to go. :)

Nah, 20 lbs under the "ideal" LBM. I'm 7 lbs under the low target... so that seems more achievable, actually.

Brilliant for the measurements!

Thanks!

Workout this morning: (Woke up to my alarm, got out of bed. It was a close thing, though, my cats were both sleeping on me and did not want to move.)

L-sit (sec): 30/30/30

band-assisted pull-ups: 5/5/5

decline pushups: 8/8/8

bodyweight rows, straight legs (knees bent): 9(1)/6(4)/6(4)

one-leg stair jumps: 12/12/12

lunges: 10/10/10

jump squats: 10/10/10

I'm actually not as sore today as I expected after climbing yesterday - certain motions make my forearms twinge, and lats/shoulders are feeling it, but that's about it.

Workout this morning: (Woke up to my alarm, got out of bed. It was a close thing, though, my cats were both sleeping on me and did not want to move.)

L-sit (sec): 30/30/30

band-assisted pull-ups: 5/5/5

decline pushups: 8/8/8

bodyweight rows, straight legs (knees bent): 9(1)/6(4)/6(4)

one-leg stair jumps: 12/12/12

lunges: 10/10/10

jump squats: 10/10/10

I'm actually not as sore today as I expected after climbing yesterday - certain motions make my forearms twinge, and lats/shoulders are feeling it, but that's about it.

Wow! Well done on the great workout and awesome on the not-so-sore body!! :D

Who says there has to be fewer silly hats?  ;)

Poor cats! Great job on stringing those no-snoozing days together :)

Also love the pull-up work. I might add back some band-assisted pull ups aswell, considering that the last part is hardest for me.. so that should be the point of least assistance.

Wow! Well done on the great workout and awesome on the not-so-sore body!! :D

Thanks! I never quite know whether to be happy I'm not sore, or worried I didn't do enough!   

Great workout!  Score one for the spreadsheets!

Heck yeah, spreadsheets unite! 

Who says there has to be fewer silly hats?  ;)

Good point. Silly hats are always fun. We could even make spreadsheets about the silly hats, if we wanted! Ooh, or make silly hats out of spreadsheets.

Poor cats! Great job on stringing those no-snoozing days together :)

Also love the pull-up work. I might add back some band-assisted pull ups aswell, considering that the last part is hardest for me.. so that should be the point of least assistance.

Thanks! The cats will just have to get used to it. :) Yeah, I'm actually starting doing grease the groove with the band-assisted pull-ups because the last part is the hardest for me, too, and the band-assisted pulls don't wipe me out as much as negatives do. And huh, I just realized my elbow didn't hurt today after my workout - awesome.  

Damn, girl.  You are rocking it!

Thanks, Wolvie! Glad to see you back.

Handstand work today - 4 30-sec wall handstands. Balanced one of them for 5 seconds, which was pretty cool. Felt harder today - maybe because of soreness from my other workouts. Kick-ups are getting easier every time, though, as I work out how hard I have to push to get vertical but not bounce off the wall. Also, the voice in my head that says "you're gonna fall on your head!" is still there, but getting quieter, which is good.