No registered users viewing this page.

Today's workout:

run 2.5k: 13:08

Pull ups: 10, 5, 4, 1

dead lift: 10@135, 10@185, 10@205

Push ups: 15, 15,

BW rows: 15, 15,

DB overhead press: 10@30, 7@35,

My individual lap pace on the run was faster than when I did my 5k earlier in the week. Which prompts me to believe that I lost count at some point and ended up doing 1 lap less than 5k :(

Everything else was really good though. And the run felt amazing. I think I could learn to like running :)

I think my form slipped on the dead lifts towards the end but I didn't feel any tweak or twinge, and usually my back is really sensitive to that stuff, so maybe it was all in my head?

Why does a faster pace mean you lost count of a lap? What if you were just awesome and did it faster? Either way, your workouts lately have been amazing.

I just rechecked the running app I use. Turns out I am mistaken. Lol. I guess I DID run 5k in 25:47 :D

Not surprised. Pretty much a result of all those beast workouts you've done lately

Whoa..whoa.. Good Lord have I missed a crap ton! Dude, you're rockin this thing! That's a bitchin time for that 5k bro, keep it up :) I've been thinkin about getting me some "armor" myself..

Part of the AC article I posted talked about wearing a weighted vest to simulate the armor that Altair and Ezio wore and I deemed it a GREAT idea. I would want to get a 40lb adjustable vest and for the most part, use 20lbs of it and work my way up. You got any suggestions for what brand of vest I should look for?

WOLF

Not really dude. I just went to the sporting goods store (I can't remember which one. Lol) and told the guy I wanted a 40lbs adjustable weight vest. Then bought the one he showed me. Lol.

And thanks for the praise bro :) I'm pretty happy with my time as a starting point. According to the Spartan Spring website, a competitive time for the event will be about 30 minutes, and that includes the 15+ obstacles that are spread throughout the race, so I'd like to get my 5k time as low as possible. While also getting stronger. It's a tall order to have complete by the end of June, but I want to be as cooperative as possible for my first Sprint.

According to my app, this was my fastest 5k ever, at 26:29 even though it's about 45 seconds slower than my run a few days ago. Oh well. I took a little pit stop after the first km to stretch it out, and I paused the run, maybe it took that into account somehow? Idk.

Either way it was a good run and I feel really good about it. Especially considering how I don't usually run outside.

I was messing around with handstands yesterday, and managed about 15-20 seconds freestanding. And several more where I walked a few meters while trying to find my balance. Lol.

You're doing great Buddy:)  About those obstacles, any obstacle courses in your area that you can do some run throughs on?  The obstacles may not be outside of your capabilities, but even a couple of practice runs will show you where you can shave time if you want to be competitive.  Places to inquire would be military bases, police training sites, and of course, playgrounds:), unless there's a Parkour gym close by...

My tentative plan so far is to begin doing every other run with my Training Armor, and on the runs where I go unencumbered I'll do a little bit if obstacles of my own. Every half KM or so I'll drop and do push ups, knee high runs, pull ups, squat jumps, burpees, split jumps, etc. and then for the rings I'm concerned about (rope climb) I'll have to find a rope to try climb. I've never done it before so I probably need to drill technique, if nothing else.

I'm confident that I can do the obstacles OR the run, but not both. I REALLY need to improve my stamina enough that I can do a sufficient warm up and still have energy to rock the race.

Also, skipped workout today be side of car trouble. Picked up a nail in the tire, now I have to limit frivolous driving and such until I can get the slow leak repaired :(

Climbing a rope, there are a couple of techniques that save upper body strength.  One involves trapping the rope between the arch of one foot and the top of the other.  Hard to explain in writing, there must be a video online somewhere.  The other relies more on compressing the rope between the legs and feet.  I like that one better, less messing around with technique.  Worth practicing a bit for form's sake if nothing else.  Obstacle runs;  pace yourself, keep a reserve, breath.  Easy to shoot your wad all at once and be done for.  Gotta be smarter than the course...

Just stop by Canadian tire one day after school and they'll fix it, or make an appointment at least. Shouldn't be more than 30 bucks I don't think.

Remoth

My tentative plan so far is to begin doing every other run with my Training Armor, and on the runs where I go unencumbered I'll do a little bit if obstacles of my own. Every half KM or so I'll drop and do push ups, knee high runs, pull ups, squat jumps, burpees, split jumps, etc. and then for the rings I'm concerned about (rope climb) I'll have to find a rope to try climb. I've never done it before so I probably need to drill technique, if nothing else.

I'm confident that I can do the obstacles OR the run, but not both. I REALLY need to improve my stamina enough that I can do a sufficient warm up and still have energy to rock the race.

Also, skipped workout today be side of car trouble. Picked up a nail in the tire, now I have to limit frivolous driving and such until I can get the slow leak repaired :(

This sounds like an amazingly intensive plan! I love it and you will totally rock it because you're Church and you're doing incredibly well! :D

Sorry about the tyre, hopefully you'll be able to get it fixed soon and get back to kicking ass! :D

Well I guess I should recap today's workout. I did a 1k warm up, then went into my circuit. Then did a 1/2k with the vest on and did another circuit. Then did a shade over 1/4k with the vest, I was pretty gassed. Then I did most of a circuit with the vest, but had to lose it for the split jumps and pull ups. Also, dragon flags were tacked on at the end, because I realized I didn't have ANY core work outside of a secondary role, they felt pretty good, although I was shaking pretty bad and couldn't get up on the last rep.

Note: * denotes a set done with bodyweight. ! Denotes a set done with my Armor on. And for the pull ups, one set is contained in the brackets, as I am unable to do sets of 10 pull ups without a break to reset my grip and shake out the arms and such.

Run: 1k 4:54

1/2k: 3:00!

300m: 2:16

10 push ups: *!!

20 squat jumps:*!!

10 rows: *!!

20 split jumps: *!*

10 pull ups: (7,3)(2,2,1!)(5,5)

5 Dragon flags: * * *

Things I learned: the Armor is too heavy. 40# is too much to see any benefit from it, so I have to take half the weight out and work my way back, it's the only real hope I have of being ready for the Sprint on June 30.

And I gotta get more core work in, I feel like my core is REALLY lacking, even though I can manage a 6 part rolling plank (going one leg at a time for reverse and front planks)

Unless I'm rocking DOMS like a boss tomorrow, I'll have to take the vest out with half weight and see if I can get a better run going on.

Woah man, that's intense, I'm in awe. One of these obstacle runs is a vague far-future goal for me, and if this is what it takes to do one, I mean FAR future... Though when I think about it, my police test is kind of a mini-obstacle run, so maybe I should start stealing from you playbook now...

Related to that, did you gets these workouts from a source (and if so, what one?), or are you just making it up as you go along? 

I just do what I feel like. Try hit the major muscles in all their planes of movement, keep things balanced and so forth.

Well I guess I should recap today's workout. I did a 1k warm up, then went into my circuit. Then did a 1/2k with the vest on and did another circuit. Then did a shade over 1/4k with the vest, I was pretty gassed. Then I did most of a circuit with the vest, but had to lose it for the split jumps and pull ups. Also, dragon flags were tacked on at the end, because I realized I didn't have ANY core work outside of a secondary role, they felt pretty good, although I was shaking pretty bad and couldn't get up on the last rep.

Note: * denotes a set done with bodyweight. ! Denotes a set done with my Armor on. And for the pull ups, one set is contained in the brackets, as I am unable to do sets of 10 pull ups without a break to reset my grip and shake out the arms and such.

Run: 1k 4:54

1/2k: 3:00!

300m: 2:16

10 push ups: *!!

20 squat jumps:*!!

10 rows: *!!

20 split jumps: *!*

10 pull ups: (7,3)(2,2,1!)(5,5)

5 Dragon flags: * * *

Things I learned: the Armor is too heavy. 40# is too much to see any benefit from it, so I have to take half the weight out and work my way back, it's the only real hope I have of being ready for the Sprint on June 30.

And I gotta get more core work in, I feel like my core is REALLY lacking, even though I can manage a 6 part rolling plank (going one leg at a time for reverse and front planks)

Unless I'm rocking DOMS like a boss tomorrow, I'll have to take the vest out with half weight and see if I can get a better run going on.

Body armor can be pretty abusive if you over-do it (pinched nerves and compressed disc issues-trust me on this, wore some daily for a couple of years, bad ju-ju), but you can benefit using it for different strengthening exercises (plyometrics?)

Have you considered doing 200, 400, 600, and 800m intervals at race pace to build your speed between obstacles?

Also, most obstacles that I've run into emphasize core and body weight-pull strength-stamina.  Balance is often tested as well.

Regardless, nice work out, very intense.

MAN DOWN!!!!!

Nothing serious, just a flu, but my priority until I can breathe properly is to rest up and eat lots!

Church out.