jnicole's "Man of Steel" Challenge

jnicole

Hi Druids!

I'm new here, I went through the last challenge with the adventurers since I wasn't really sure where to go. But - I would classify myself as on the way to Druid-dom, so why not start now?!

[Eventually I see myself as a 70/30% Druid/Scout combination]

In anticipation of the release of Man of Steel in June, and inspired by a friend who regularly creates superhero challenges with his friends, this 6-week challenge is brought to you by Superman. :)

Each goal is influenced by one of Superman's attributes, and may involve mini-goals to form a whole rather than a wide focus.

(1) SUPER STRENGTH (STR: +2, DEX: +1)

I will do bodyweight strength training 3x per week. This may include yoga, the BBW circuit, or anything else that I come upon that makes me excited to gain strength. Each session should last 20 minutes minimum, and must be completed on separate days.

This goal will not be graded on outcome, but completion.

9 or less = F // 10-13 = D // 14-15 = C // 16-17 = B // 18 = A

(2) INVULNERABILITY (CON: +3, WIS: +2)

Eat whole, unprocessed foods for 30 days. (following Paleo or Whole30 guidelines - TBD after further research)

I've realized that my diet needs a major overhaul. I need to fuel my body correctly to see what it can do!

[Also, I'm worried I might have a dairy intolerance, so cutting that out will help me determine what could be wrong]

This part of the challenge won't start until the 2nd week, just FYI.

Grading will be based on the completion of each week. I'll be more likely to succeed if I take this part of the challenge week by week, and then average the grades at the end.

0-2 days = F // 3 days = D // 4-5 days = C // 6 days = B // 7 days = A

Averages: will be attempted as a mean of # of days, and also a median of letter grades. If they are the same, that will be the final grade. If they differ, the midpoint between the mean & median will be the final (so a B+/A- is possible)

(3) SUPER SPEED (STA: 2)

Run a mile in: ___________

This time has yet to be determined, as I haven't actually measured my mile time. This will be done before the official start of the challenge and I will update this goal to show grading/time goals based on what I can do right now.

Grading will be based on how close I come to successfully running in that amount of time:

50% or less = F // 60% = D // 70% = C // 80-95% = B // 95-100% = A

[percentages will be translated into times after the starting mile is measured]

(4) OTHER ATTRIBUTES [Life Mini-Goals] (CHA: +4, WIS: +1)

During the last challenge, I found that just having one life goal to focus on made me feel overwhelmed. I'd rather focus on smaller goals to complete and get to a larger goal by the end.

FORTRESS OF SOLITUDE - practice soul care/spiritual disciplines 10 minutes/day [1 pt/day]

FLIGHT - purchase vacation plane ticket [5 pts]

SUPER HEARING - organize music library [10 pts]

PRESERVING KNOWLEDGE - complete Swaziland photobook [4 pts]

MORAL COMPASS - connect with friends/family in NEW ways

text messages [1 pt]

phone calls [2 pts]

emails [2 pts]

cards/letters [2 pts]

skype/facetime [3 pts]

coffee/lunch/dinner [4 pts]

*** these must be things I don't already do. Points do not accrue for communication I already have. Example: a friend that I text a lot but never call or email won't be part of the point accrual unless a NEW form of communication and interaction is used.***

ALTER EGO - develop a basic sketch of who I am as a planner and the types of clients I will try to attract [5 pts]

SUPER SUIT - my sense of style needs a revamp

Donate/Throw out clothes that don't fit or I don't wear [5 pts]

Find an outfit I like, and save at least $25 to buy it when I reach a new size [5 pts]

Go shopping with friends to discover what's good on my body and my real style [5 pts]

Replace old items of clothing that are too worn out [2 pts/item]

Grading:

59 pts or less = F // 60-70 = D // 71-80 = C // 81-90 = B // 91-100 = A

The bulk of points for these mini-goals will be through practicing spiritual disciplines and connecting with friends & family in new ways.

Sorry for such a long post. I'm excited to do this with you all!

Level 2 Half-Giant | Adventurer

**aspiring to Druid/Scout hybrid and Wood Elf-dom**

STR: 4 | DEX: 2 | STA: 3 | CON: 4.5 | WIS: 6.75 | CHA: 6

Walk to Mordor | Epic Quest | Recovery Journey

I have a why. This is my how.

Welcome to the Druids!

I am also a runner and will be working on speed, it will be interesting following your progress.

Well defined goals, maybe a little too detailed regarding the mini life goals but that might be more of a list to choose from?

Oh, and do not buy something that is too small - I would recommend saving the money for something in the right size later :nevreness:  

I have chosen to believe in myself.

Thanks for the welcome and the feedback!

The life goals are definitely a list to pull from and not a "you-must-do-all-these-things" list. :)

Oh, and do not buy something that is too small - I would recommend saving the money for something in the right size later :nevreness:

Thanks for the suggestion! I wasn't completely sure about that piece of the goals either - so I'll change that one and make it a saving toward the right size goal instead.

Sounds great! Suddenly eating paleo might be a bit of a shock (I don't know having never done it), so have you got recipes and ideas ready? It's always good to have a few simple 'turn-to' meals you can easily knock up to help when you just don't feel like cooking and you don't have the option of eating something from a packet!

love the mini-goals - might be something I steal for the next challenge! Just don't forget to be fair to yourself; quality over quantity, right?

Can't wait to see your progress!! I'm trying to up strength-training too :/

LVL 1.5 Chubby Wood Elf Adventurer [challenge 1] [challenge 1.5

21 / f / 174 lb [initial goal 154] [sw 196] / 5'7" / UK / Kongregator 

STR 3.25 DEX 2.5 STA 4.5 CON 5 WIS 5 CHA 2.25

"You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there." -- Edwin Louis Cole

Sounds great! Suddenly eating paleo might be a bit of a shock (I don't know having never done it), so have you got recipes and ideas ready? It's always good to have a few simple 'turn-to' meals you can easily knock up to help when you just don't feel like cooking and you don't have the option of eating something from a packet!

Thanks! I'm not starting that one until next week (my birthday is this week, so I don't want to feel like I've thrown everything off by enjoying some nights out with my friends). I'm using this week to pick some go-to recipes and stock my fridge with good stuff. I've done some sudden eating changes before, and usually do pretty good about it. I'm taking it week by week rather than thinking of it as a whole 30 days. It'll be more about making it 7 days, then another 7 - I think that breaking it up like that will set me up to succeed.

All the mini-goals are things that would be totally reasonable for me to complete in the next 6 weeks. I just found that last challenge, only having one life goal to focus on was hard for me - I multi-task way too often to focus on just one thing. (maybe focus will be something I try to do in one of the next challenges).

Looking forward to getting the ball rolling on all this tomorrow morning! :)

i made the switch to Primal eating (basically paleo + dairy) last year as part of my NF join up.  i for one went cold turkey as best as I could.  some people do better w/gradually phasing things out. i'm still working on not eating sugar.  everyone has their achilles heel, right?  

anywho - if you have any questions or need any support - i am here. and there is a board in the food section for Paleo/Primal NFers.  stick with the changes you make for the 6 weeks - you will see/feel the change.  They aren't making that part up. if you are looking for a plan - I know there is the Primal BluePrint 21 Day Total Body Transformation.  That book would work for Paleo too.  I got a copy from my local library (free things FTW).

may i suggest stocking up on ready-to-eat snacks.  make some jerky or hard boil some eggs or buy nuts and make some trail mix.  the hardest part for me was going into the kitchen or a restaurant hungry.  processed foods are quick and easy. paleo is not always quick (though tastier usually). you need to be able to stuff something in your mouth while you take the 5-15 minutes to whip up something delicious.  it is always easier to drive past mcdonalds when you have some handy trail mix or an apple.

Introspective Bookworm (Lvl 6)STR 8.5 | DEX 10 | STA 11 | CON 13 | WIS 15 | CHA 11Look, I... I may not be an explorer, or an adventurer, or a treasure-seeker, or a gunfighter, Mr. O'Connell, but I am proud of what I am. I... am a librarian. (Rachel Weiss, The Mummy)Intro/Current Challenge | Fitocracy | MFP 

Welcome!

You will definitely need some ready snacks and some quick meals for the bad times.

I really like the way you set your goals.

Have you thought about taking some photos and measurements to track your progress?

Doesn't have to be public, of course!

Good luck and much fun here!

Fate whispers to the warrior: "You cannot withstand the storm."

The warrior whispers back:
 "
I am the storm."

Welcome!

I really like the way you set your goals.

Thank you!

Have you thought about taking some photos and measurements to track your progress?

Doesn't have to be public, of course!

I started taking progress photos on the same day each month during the last challenge, but I did take some more for personal reference at the start of this challenge. I don't think I'm quite ready to share photos with the world yet...once there's some significant changes, I'm sure I'll be giddy to share. :)

i made the switch to Primal eating (basically paleo + dairy) last year as part of my NF join up.  i for one went cold turkey as best as I could.  some people do better w/gradually phasing things out. i'm still working on not eating sugar.  everyone has their achilles heel, right?  

anywho - if you have any questions or need any support - i am here. and there is a board in the food section for Paleo/Primal NFers.  stick with the changes you make for the 6 weeks - you will see/feel the change.  They aren't making that part up.

may i suggest stocking up on ready-to-eat snacks.  make some jerky or hard boil some eggs or buy nuts and make some trail mix.  the hardest part for me was going into the kitchen or a restaurant hungry.  processed foods are quick and easy. paleo is not always quick (though tastier usually). you need to be able to stuff something in your mouth while you take the 5-15 minutes to whip up something delicious.

Thanks for the support, I know I'm going to need it! Lately, I've gotten quite good at resisting bad beverages (last challenge, one of my goals was to drink 100 oz. of water each day). My biggest weakness is pasta/rice - not bread, though. I don't feel like grains really do weird things to my body, but I've noticed feeling weird after eating dairy, so I'm curious to see what changes come out of eating differently.

In the past couple years, I've done a partial fast for religious reasons that was vegetables, fruits, nuts, unleavened whole grains (tortillas, pasta, brown rice), good oils and water only. Those only last 3 weeks, but my body responded in AMAZING ways. I'm really looking forward to starting this and making yummy, healthy food over the next month! I've got some go-to nuts/fruits that will become staples in my kitchen during this experiment. - I'll have to be conscious to stock my desk at work and my car with options to tide me over if I start to get cravings for things.

ahh sounds like you have everything under control. congrats on getting things off to a good start!

Introspective Bookworm (Lvl 6)STR 8.5 | DEX 10 | STA 11 | CON 13 | WIS 15 | CHA 11Look, I... I may not be an explorer, or an adventurer, or a treasure-seeker, or a gunfighter, Mr. O'Connell, but I am proud of what I am. I... am a librarian. (Rachel Weiss, The Mummy)Intro/Current Challenge | Fitocracy | MFP 

Allirep, do you have any recipes that you love? As I'm collecting ideas for groceries and meals it'd be great to have some that are already tested & approved. I'll go check out the recipes link on the forums too. But if you've got some that you'd care to share, shoot them my way! :)

Welcome! I absolutely love how you set out your goals for this challenge and I am really looking forward to seeing how you go!

I too like to have a long list of things to pick from... :)

I am a Druid with Scout/Ranger tendencies. I think we all find things in common with the other guilds. If you feel up to it, do join our Druid mini-challenges, its a lot of fun:

http://nerdfitnessre...like-a-warrior/

Lusitanian Druid, Level 9
STR: 13 | DEX: 15 | STA: 17 | CON: 22 | WIS: 25 | CHA: 25

“We are what we repeatedly do; excellence, then, is not an act but a habit.†- Aristotle

Current Challenge: Living the Good Life II Past: 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th, 6th, 7th,  8th9th, 10th11th, 12th

Goal: 1001 Steps on the Road to a Home -> 18/348 in 2015 

5.27%
5.27%

Goal: loose 9KG in 2015 -> 1.5KG lost 

16.67%
16.67%

Hey, Just ducked in to say Druid / Scout combo FTW! That's the combo I'm thinking of too :)

Hi, Jas!

Welcome! I absolutely love how you set out your goals for this challenge and I am really looking forward to seeing how you go!

I too like to have a long list of things to pick from... :)

I am a Druid with Scout/Ranger tendencies. I think we all find things in common with the other guilds. If you feel up to it, do join our Druid mini-challenges, its a lot of fun:

http://nerdfitnessre...like-a-warrior/

Thanks! I'm quite excited about this challenge! I'll definitely check out the mini-challenges! Sounds like a great idea to go around the whole community in the next 6 weeks!

Week 1 - Check in #1

SUPER STRENGTH: 2 bodyweight workouts in so far this week! (focusing on different muscle groups - so I'm not tiring out the same group every day)

INVULNERABILITY: Collecting recipes and creating grocery lists to go shopping on Sunday.

SUPER SPEED: Haven't done much with this one yet. I have been at work late the last two days and running in the park, in the dark just doesn't sound safe to me (I've done it before, but it creeps me out...) I've scheduled time on Friday after work to go and run, though. So I'll have a baseline time before the weekend!

FORTRESS OF SOLITUDE: +2 points so far. Monday and Tuesday I was able to get some focused reading in, and it felt great to be refocusing before bed.

PRESERVING KNOWLEDGE: I have a discount code for a Shutterfly book, so I logged on and uploaded some photos. Design work comes next.

ALTER EGO: I've started a secret board on my Pinterest account to collect things that reflect my style in events and planning. Things that inspire me and catch my eye (lots of wood, lights, trees, especially an ethereal feel)

SUPER SUIT: I found a dress that I want to buy when I'm in a smaller size! see it HERE.

ALSO!!! The new trailer was released yesterday night!!!! It's pretty neat:

SUPER SUIT: I found a dress that I want to buy when I'm in a smaller size! see it HERE.

ALSO!!! The new trailer was released yesterday night!!!! It's pretty neat:

Love the dress - and an unusual gorgeous colour too. Great goal to keep coming back to for inspiration. Do you wear dresses a lot? I love them but don't get much opportunity to use them

I have chosen to believe in myself.

Love the dress - and an unusual gorgeous colour too. Great goal to keep coming back to for inspiration. Do you wear dresses a lot? I love them but don't get much opportunity to use them

Thank you! Blues and greens tend to be good colors for me, so I really like the color (and it was more exciting than the plain black that it also comes in). It definitely makes me motivated to keep following my goals (especially because that website doesn't keep their styles for a long time - a few months max unless it's really popular).

I don't wear them much in the winter - but we have a pretty long warm season from late spring - early fall. I'm most comfortable in long dresses/skirts or a basic jeans/tee combo. At work, there isn't really a strict dress code as long as it looks nice, so dresses are a quick and easy option.

Week 1 - Check-in #2

This week started off on a great note, but has gotten a little harder to keep up here at the end.

SUPER STRENGTH: 3 workouts in during the week already (with another day still in the running tomorrow)

INVULNERABILITY: I'm going to eat mostly paleo, though I will allow for some whole grain pasta/quinoa 1-2 times/week. Grocery shopping tomorrow

SUPER SPEED: At the moment, my mile time sits around 12:00. I would like to reduce that time to 10:00 over the course of this challenge.

FORTRESS OF SOLITUDE: +4 out of the 6 days in the week thus far.

SUPER HEARING: I started adding song information to my mp3 library, and cleaning up the few songs that got transferred over to my new computer. I'm going to start with those before adding in the songs from my old one. Those I will do a little bit at a time, making sure everything works and are still songs that I listen to/purchased.

ALTER EGO: Had a meeting today with a girl I'm helping plan a wedding for. It was definitely a learning experience in that I didn't know what questions the other vendors were going to ask, so now I can be more prepared in the future. Good meeting, but there are more things to decide on now - the bride and I will be meeting again soon to discuss timelines and decor.

SUPER SUIT: Yesterday, I discovered that I've been wearing the REALLY wrong bra size for a while. Today, I went and bought the right size, and it was amazing how differently it made me feel! That was exciting. Next step: throw out wrong sized bras & go through the rest of my closet.

I had a hard time making sure to get workouts in the last two days, and have been noticing a marked difference between when I'm drinking lots of water, and when I skip. I did a really good job last challenge of getting lots of water in most days, but have let myself back off a little since then. I need to make sure to get at least 40 oz/day in, just for my body to feel content.

that is a pretty dress! I do love to drool over the awesome things on ModCloth. i'm sure it would look amazing on you even now - but that is an awesome motivator. glad to see your first week was awesomeness.

SUPER SUIT: Yesterday, I discovered that I've been wearing the REALLY wrong bra size for a while. Today, I went and bought the right size, and it was amazing how differently it made me feel! That was exciting. Next step: throw out wrong sized bras & go through the rest of my closet.

I had a hard time making sure to get workouts in the last two days, and have been noticing a marked difference between when I'm drinking lots of water, and when I skip. I did a really good job last challenge of getting lots of water in most days, but have let myself back off a little since then. I need to make sure to get at least 40 oz/day in, just for my body to feel content.

Bra size can make such a difference to how we feel and look... not to mention how comfortable we are. I too am in the process of replacing bra's that no longer fit. :)

I try to get my workouts as early in the week as possible... that way if things get crazy at least thats one less thing to worry about. And the weekend is saved as a backup (which I often have to use... but getting better).

Water... I too find I don't function well if I dont get enough... we all do! Have you had enough today?

Keep up the good work! :)

Lusitanian Druid, Level 9
STR: 13 | DEX: 15 | STA: 17 | CON: 22 | WIS: 25 | CHA: 25

“We are what we repeatedly do; excellence, then, is not an act but a habit.†- Aristotle

Current Challenge: Living the Good Life II Past: 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th, 6th, 7th,  8th9th, 10th11th, 12th

Goal: 1001 Steps on the Road to a Home -> 18/348 in 2015 

5.27%
5.27%

Goal: loose 9KG in 2015 -> 1.5KG lost 

16.67%
16.67%

Heyy (hoo),

I have been the most neglectful buddy, so am just popping in to apologise and say - good work so far!

Seems like you're doing really well and I'm so jealous of the lil mini life goals still, def going to be doing that next challenge!

That. Dress. Is. Gorgeous. Way to go for rewarding yourself - you can do this!

Keep up the hard work :)

LVL 1.5 Chubby Wood Elf Adventurer [challenge 1] [challenge 1.5

21 / f / 174 lb [initial goal 154] [sw 196] / 5'7" / UK / Kongregator 

STR 3.25 DEX 2.5 STA 4.5 CON 5 WIS 5 CHA 2.25

"You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there." -- Edwin Louis Cole

Wow, guys...

Last week was, in my own description, a total failure. I recognize that it wasn't ACTUALLY as bad as I'm making it out to be - but my body is not happy with me.

I procrastinated grocery shopping - though I tried to make as many good food decisions with what was available to me. So - I still don't have what I need to eat in the way that I want to. My mom and aunt came to visit this weekend - and we went out to eat practically every meal. I did steer us toward some good choices for a couple of them, but it was hard to dissuade my mom from her go-to restaurant while visiting me, and we ate there twice. My body is upset. Though, I think I had further confirmation that there's something not jive-ing with me and dairy.

Also, because of how much I struggled last week, I felt overwhelmed and didn't even want to come to the forums and post (as you can see, I didn't). This week, and for the rest of the challenge, I promise to check in at least once a week, if not more. It's helpful and important for me to be accountable to you all for the good & the bad choices I make over the course of these challenges. So I will be.

I'm starting fresh today. Re.Set. Breathe out the bad stuff, and take steps toward the good.

Important Information

New here? Please check out our Privacy Policy and Community Guidelines