Ranger Chat!

Loren Wade

Keeping my goal spread out as part of the ranger code 

1.run solid 5K (actually done that for the first time three days ago now)

2. do a 3 day crossfit exercise with a weighted backpack

3. maintain my increase of 1 rep per training day in pushup, burpee, squat and sit-up

4. revise enough for my exams

5. maintain bushido code 

I believe in training the body, mind and emotions/soul/personality. I have faced my death twice now, it was very scary both times and i was quite sure i was going to die, but i learnt what it means to face your death with courage. after that i decide to study the bushido code while still following zen buddhism. Training in the sword is something that is rather difficult to find in urban england however, working on it

I am always open to suggestions on how to train or how to learn

peace all

• [*]Level 2 High elf - Ranger (56.7 kilos, approximately 13% body fat)[*]strength 4, dexterity 3, stamina 6, constitution 6, wisdom 5, charisma 2.[*]Challenge - run 5K straight, do 3 day exercise with weighted backpack, reach rep goal for 6 weeks, revise enough for exams; maintain code of bushido[*]"Go into battle determined to die, and you will surely live. Go into battle hoping to live, and you will surely die"

Keeping my goal spread out as part of the ranger code 

1.run solid 5K (actually done that for the first time three days ago now)

2. do a 3 day crossfit exercise with a weighted backpack

3. maintain my increase of 1 rep per training day in pushup, burpee, squat and sit-up

4. revise enough for my exams

5. maintain bushido code 

Good luck :)

#3 is a really good idea; I'll try adopt the approach in my plan. I tend to get stuck in thinking of "sets" so level up in bigger jumps (5x reps at a go).

Cheers,

D

Dren: level 1 Orc and Scholar, with Ranger aspirations
STR 2; DEX 1; STA 3; CON 3; WISDOM 4; CHA 2
Little by little, one travels far -- J.R.R. Tolkien

Hi, I was directed to you lot as I have already started thinking about my second challenge and was told you were the ones that could help me plan it out! :nevreness:

I'm loving the strength training so far, but I also have dreams of runing a 5k. So, I need to start working toward that. For my next challenge, I would like to start working toward that as well as keeping the strength training.

At this point, however, I'm not even to C25K. I'm like, pre-C25k, lol. So what would be a good plan to get me there? Does anyone have suggestions on how I can map out my next challenge?

I do know it will take time and dedication. I'm good with that. :nevreness:  Thanks!!

Level 11 Unicorn Ranger

Current Challenge

Previous Challenges 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11

“Decorum is highly overrated and probably causes cancer.”  ~ Jenny Lawson

Chickie.Monkey!  I LOVE your profile pic!    At first I thought it was Annie from Covert Affairs, but I don't think it is --- who is it?    (I go to a womens only boxing gym once a week as a workout, I love it!)

As for the running goal.   I can't recommend C25K enough.   Don't worry about being pre-c25k.   The program was designed to start from COUCH potato.   And if you are strength training currently, you are already NOT totally couch.    

I was never a runner (still don't consider myself one really) - to the point that in high school I was excused from running the mile because of exercise induced asthma.

Two years ago I started C25K with a glass FULL of skepticism.    9 weeks later, I ran my first 5k, NON STOP with a time of 36:35.   (No hare by any means, but a very respectful first race time if you ask me.--- I also have been told to SCREW worrying about your time and pace, and just learn to run first.     The program really does work, and while it seems, mentally, like too much to start, it's really well done and DOES in fact work.

Give it a shot.    The best advice is to listen to your body and take it slow.  If you need to do extra walks, or shorten the runs in Week 1, that's ok.   Just don't move on to week 2 until you have done 3 full runs with the right segments.  You'll get there!

:)

Level 78 ~*~ Ranger

Deviant Art Gallery   ||  YouTube Channel

Current Challenge

"It is difficult.  All things worth keeping are."  Thane Krios - Mass Effect 2

"Maybe it's not as simple as you imagined, Seeker."  Varric Tethras Dragon Age 2

"Staying within your limits is no fun, Ryder."  Vetra Nyx - ME: Andromeda

Spoiler

::PAST CHALLENGES::

1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 20 | 21 | 22

23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42

43 | 44 | NEIN | 45 | 46 | 47 | 48| 49 | 50 | 51 | 52 | 53 | 54 | 55 | 56 | 57 | 58 | 59 | 60 | 61

62 | 63 | 64 | 65 | 66 | 67 | 68 | 69 | 70 | 71 | 72 | 73 | 74 | 75 | 76 | 77 | 77.5 | 78 | 79 | 80 | 81

At the office work out needed!

I need to get a strength routine in today that is mostly upper body/arms/core.     I only have my office to do it in, and I want a little bit more than just push ups and rows (no place to even do them).   I also want to start to add some extra weight.    If I can only afford ONE heavy thing to have at the job, what should I get?   One 25lb dumbbell?   One kettlebell?    A sledge hammer?  (Ever seen shovelgloving?  It's freaking awesome!)

I am gonna run out at lunch today and pick it up... either from target or the hardware store lol.    But what would you all recommend?

Level 78 ~*~ Ranger

Current Challenge

"Maybe it's not as simple as you imagined, Seeker."  Varric Tethras Dragon Age 2

Spoiler

1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 20 | 21 | 22

23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42

43 | 44 | NEIN | 45 | 46 | 47 | 48| 49 | 50 | 51 | 52 | 53 | 54 | 55 | 56 | 57 | 58 | 59 | 60 | 61

62 | 63 | 64 | 65 | 66 | 67 | 68 | 69 | 70 | 71 | 72 | 73 | 74 | 75 | 76 | 77 | 77.5 | 78 | 79 | 80 | 81

kettlebell would be GREAT- IMHO- or a sandbag (LOVE THEM- esp since you can alter weight easily)

I can't do office workouts that hard- sweating at work is a none starter for me- but I do body weight only stuff all the time- I love it- it's great!

i have always been a big believer in good for nice slow progressive gains than trying to push your muscles to failure every time, it is almost unheard of until we had personal trainers to push yourself to exhausation (i mean unless you were the runner after the battle of Marathon). i have found that if you train slow, hard and keep to your regime rather than racing ahead you will keep the gains even if you come back after two months of doing nothing.

it is all about training to be healthy over training to look good, which is why i live paleo but eat loads of fruit. damn the weight gain i need the sugar for crossfit and id rather be healthy with 17% bodyfat than superfit in a mirror but unable to do anything truly physical because my body is starved or internally scarred from hypertrophy

• [*]Level 2 High elf - Ranger (56.7 kilos, approximately 13% body fat)[*]strength 4, dexterity 3, stamina 6, constitution 6, wisdom 5, charisma 2.[*]Challenge - run 5K straight, do 3 day exercise with weighted backpack, reach rep goal for 6 weeks, revise enough for exams; maintain code of bushido[*]"Go into battle determined to die, and you will surely live. Go into battle hoping to live, and you will surely die"

Chickie.Monkey!  I LOVE your profile pic!    At first I thought it was Annie from Covert Affairs, but I don't think it is --- who is it?    (I go to a womens only boxing gym once a week as a workout, I love it!)

As for the running goal.   I can't recommend C25K enough.   Don't worry about being pre-c25k.   The program was designed to start from COUCH potato.   And if you are strength training currently, you are already NOT totally couch.    

I was never a runner (still don't consider myself one really) - to the point that in high school I was excused from running the mile because of exercise induced asthma.

Two years ago I started C25K with a glass FULL of skepticism.    9 weeks later, I ran my first 5k, NON STOP with a time of 36:35.   (No hare by any means, but a very respectful first race time if you ask me.--- I also have been told to SCREW worrying about your time and pace, and just learn to run first.     The program really does work, and while it seems, mentally, like too much to start, it's really well done and DOES in fact work.

Give it a shot.    The best advice is to listen to your body and take it slow.  If you need to do extra walks, or shorten the runs in Week 1, that's ok.   Just don't move on to week 2 until you have done 3 full runs with the right segments.  You'll get there!

:)

Hi. Thank you. My profile pic is Tamsin from Lost Girl. She's bad ass. :D

I plan on using it. At this point I can't run yet (I'm still quite the big girl). Heck, I'm excited if I can walk a mile in 20 minutes! LOL I'm thinking I can take C25k and just walk as fast as I can when they say run until I can actually run?

Level 11 Unicorn Ranger

Current Challenge

chickie.monkey

For some people, their "slow jog" is no faster than their walk. I'd suggest doing a slow jog as slow as you need to. You will be very surprised at how quickly your times will get better. I know I was. You go along for weeks, feeling like you just aren't getting any better and then you actually look back at your times from when you started and it will blow your mind. Don't worry about slow, just go.

And let us know how it goes, we'll all cheer for you

level 10 Half Ogre Ranger

Healers Brigade

1st  | 2nd | 3rd | 4th | 5th | 6th | 7th | 8th | 9th | 10th | 11th | 12th | 13th | 14th | 15th | 16th | 17th | 18th | 19th | 20th | 21st | 22nd | 23rd | 24th | 25th | 26th | 27th

Current

Yeah chickie.  Start with walking for 30 minutes for a week.   Make the pace as brisk as you can comfortably!    Then the next week, add 30 seconds of 'jog'.  When I was doing C25K, I had some forum buddies and the boss guy (we called him Charlie because the rest of us were girls) told me, go as SLOW as you need to, to do the run segment.   If walkers go faster than you, ignore them.    Just get your body used to the 'jogging' motion.

No matter where you start, the fact you are starting is still a big step of progress so don't stress about the fine print. ;)

Level 78 ~*~ Ranger

Current Challenge

Spoiler

Hi. Thank you. My profile pic is Tamsin from Lost Girl. She's bad ass. :D

I plan on using it. At this point I can't run yet (I'm still quite the big girl). Heck, I'm excited if I can walk a mile in 20 minutes! LOL I'm thinking I can take C25k and just walk as fast as I can when they say run until I can actually run?

Head over to http://www.runnersworld.com/training/beginners and check out their progressions plans from walking, walking, walking to starting to run.  Repeat weeks if you need to do so.  I have often "regressed" to a point where I feel comfortable and just started over.  Progress in conditioning is not as linear as we'd like and doesn't always conform to these plans - so you can fall back and spurt forward as it works for you.

Some kind of Jedi .....

We are better than we know, if we can be made to see it, [then] for the rest of our lives, we'll be unwilling to settle for less.  

Past Challenges: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35. 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46, 47, 48

Head over to http://www.runnersworld.com/training/beginners and check out their progressions plans from walking, walking, walking to starting to run.  Repeat weeks if you need to do so.  I have often "regressed" to a point where I feel comfortable and just started over.  Progress in conditioning is not as linear as we'd like and doesn't always conform to these plans - so you can fall back and spurt forward as it works for you.

Thank you! That looks like an excellent resource.

I also have one more question. I've been strength training 3x a week. What will be the best attack here? Strength 2x and walking/running 3x on the off days? Something else? I really appreciate your help, thank you.

Level 11 Unicorn Ranger

Current Challenge

As someone who made the silly plan of having a Run 3x a week, and strength train 3x a week in the same challenge - it CAN be tough.  Especially if the runs wear you out.     Best advice I can offer is, "Cut yourself some slack."   Aim for the moon, and if you miss, you're still among the stars.   That sort of thing.    

I TRY to do every other day thing...  If I run on M, W, F, I strength train on Su, T, Th - etc.    Sometimes I have to say Sunday counts for the OLD week, some days Sunday counts for the new week.   (It's also been a test on my OCD lol, but I am learning to be more flexibile)

Level 78 ~*~ Ranger

Current Challenge

Spoiler

As someone who made the silly plan of having a Run 3x a week, and strength train 3x a week in the same challenge - it CAN be tough.  Especially if the runs wear you out.     Best advice I can offer is, "Cut yourself some slack."   Aim for the moon, and if you miss, you're still among the stars.   That sort of thing.    

I TRY to do every other day thing...  If I run on M, W, F, I strength train on Su, T, Th - etc.    Sometimes I have to say Sunday counts for the OLD week, some days Sunday counts for the new week.   (It's also been a test on my OCD lol, but I am learning to be more flexibile)

No! As someone who lifts, runs and does yoga 3 times a week (each) I have to disagree. 3days strength and 3days running should be perfectly doable. Well depending a bit on your age and current physical condition. But the only thing that should have influence on is how hard you lift and how fast/far you run.

If your head is in the game, you'll easily do strength workouts 3 times a week, with some light running (I recommend c25k if you're just starting out) on offdays. Best of luck to you! :)

Level 4 Human Ranger

The only Way to accomplish greatness is to set your goals even higher.

STR: 15 || DEX: 9 || STA: 10

CON: 12 || WIS: 9 || CHA: 6

Check out my challange Thread (4)

I have to say it depends on you... my oldest son runs about four to five miles every single day... lifts hard four to five times a week and bikes as well... (and bikes and climbs mountains and and and) Shakespeare is sixteen though and it's fully fueled on adrenalin and sweat...

Personally... yoga twice a week... lifting twice a week... and walking/jogging/hiking/biking twice or three times... sometimes things happen on the same day depending on schedule but I don't jog much yet so I'm not sure if I'm a good comparison... also I have arthritis and other pain issues..

Do what feels right to you... don't let some preconceived notion of "I must do this in order for it to be right" there is no right... there's what's right for you and that's determined by you and your body

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

Level 10.4 Wood-Elf, Ranger - specializing in demon fighting

"doing the impossible since 2012 :D" - Librarian of Doom

facebook battle log level 50 WOOT   Backstory CNF2014  current (not challenge - doing a battle log this time)

Spoiler

* This is the day the Lord has made, rejoice in it and be glad. God, The Bible. * Do or do not, there is no try. - Yoda
* There are three options in this life; be good, get good, or give up. -- House * Never take counsel of your fears. Stonewall Jackson. 

* level 50 isn't gonna just POOF happen - alienjenn, NF IRC chatroom

* I'm not about to give up - Because I heard you say - There's gonna be brighter days… I won't stop, I'll keep my head up - No, I'm not here to stay ...  - 

I just might bend but I won't break - As long as I can see your face - When life won't play along - And right keeps going wrong - And I can't seem to find my way - I know where I am found - So I won't let it drag me down - Oh, I'll keep dancing anyway - Mercy Me - Move

Thank you! That looks like an excellent resource.

I also have one more question. I've been strength training 3x a week. What will be the best attack here? Strength 2x and walking/running 3x on the off days? Something else? I really appreciate your help, thank you.

I lift 3X a week (mon, wed,fri) and run 3x a week (tue,thur, sat) and honestly after my runs I want to go lift (maybe I am just crazy) it wasn't like that at first but after a coulple weeks it will become natural.

Level 0 Human, Monk

82%
82%
Lose 75 lbs

Startin Fresh

"Nothing is ever easy." Zeddicus Zull Zorander

"Do or Do Not, There is no try" Yoda

"Weak people face life obstacles with an excuse in their hand, strong peple carry a hammer."

Estemated 1RM

Bench: 195lbs

Squat: 245lbs

Deadlift: 295lbs

Total weight: 735lbs

Goal Weight 1000lbs

Well I am having more of an issue with the scheduling than the work load actually lol.   I just was saying be flexible and don't beat yourself up if it doesn't end up that you're doing 3x a week in two (or more) different categories.    Sometimes I go 8 days in a row, with some days doubled up on a run plus a hockey game, or a run plus the hour long boxing work out and I am fine.  Some days I do a run and the next day I am toast.    Some days, like today, my push ups max dropped by double digits.   :concern:   Like someone mentioned earlier, progress is not always linear as it goes along.    And that doesn't mean you're not making progress still.

Level 78 ~*~ Ranger

Current Challenge

Spoiler

Important Information

New here? Please check out our Privacy Policy and Community Guidelines