Paladin's Return to the Road

Paladin

I'm so excited for my first challenge. I have to confess that, until yesterday, I was set on joining in with the Ranger crowd. But the love I discovered for running called to me, beckoning me to surround myself with other supportive runners (who are all awesome because they can run farther and faster then me...for now) to keep me motivated and accountable for my running. So, with that said, I am glad to have made the choice to join this guild!

Last year was my first year for running, and I managed to train for and complete two 5k races. My winter months here in the Midwest were terrible in regards to training, so I am essentially back at square one with my endurance. The positives that I am carrying with me are my experiences from last year, motivation to run farther and faster this year, a better starting fitness level, and you guys!

Goal #1 - Hitting the Trails

My journey has to begin somewhere. The best thing I can do is to get out and just start running more often, even if it ends up being for only a mile or two. I've rarely regretted a run when I have finished it. This year I want to do more than just run, I want to get out and try new things and mix it up a little bit. I want to run in new places. And, above all else, I want to be able to build myself up to running my first 10k. I can't do that if I don't get out and run!

Objective: Run 2-3 times per week, mixing in trail runs and hill sprints for variety. +2 DEX +2 STA

Goal #2 - Strength Running means I need more Strength, too!

I thought about including several exercises with new benchmarks, but in the end I think that less is more. If I can increase my max on the deadlift, then it should stand to reason that my max on other lifts will follow along. My personal best so far is 154#, and I would like to see that increase by another 50#. It should be the easiest of the lifts to gain rapid weight on, and will work a lot of my body in training for this. Watch my battle log for weekly updates on this lift!

Objective: Complete 1 set of 3 reps at 200# (current bodyweight is 206# and I hope to be under that by the end of the six weeks. Essentially, trying to deadlift my bodyweight here.) +2 STR +2 CON

Goal #3 - Become a Student to the Sport

In the next six weeks I'd like to grow my knowledge base about running, looking to the Scouts here and websites like Strength Running as a starting point. I'd like to pick up and read a good book or two, so recommendations are welcome here. I want to finally drag myself into the Running Room store across town and check out what they have to offer, and perhaps even look into my next pair of running shoes.

Objective: Read a book on Running, post 10 times in the Running forum, visit the Running Room store, get fitted for a pair of shoes. +3 WIS

Life Goal - Dedicate time to God

For months I was great about reading the Bible, but the past few weeks I've lost control by giving other things priority. This ends today. Every day I will read a minimum of one chapter in the Bible, as well as pray daily once more.

Objective: Read the Bible and pray daily. +2 WIS +2 CHA

Paladin

Level 1 Dwarven Scout

2 STR  |  3 DEX  |  3 STA  |  2 CON  |  3 WIS  |  2 CHA

Battle Log  |  Current Challenge: Paladin's Return to the Road

"Fat doesn't get sore, muscle does." Doctor Wes Nyberg

Welcome Paladin!  Whereabouts in the Midwest?  I'm a Hoosier and this is also my first challenge.  Great goals.  I like the incorporation of hill sprints.  Its a great leg workout.  Also great that you are leveling up spiritually.  Good luck!

Scout

Battle Log - Accountability-Tracking-Training Worksheets

1st Challenge - 2nd Challenge - 3rd Challenge

"He must become greater; I must become less.†John 3:30

Hi paladin! I love your goals! I'm horrible about getting in the word daily- it's not as easy as some folks think. Can't wait to watch your progress!

My Blog | My Story

Race: Wood Elf | Class: Footpath Ranger Leader

Level18 (STR):44.25 (DEX):37.25 (STA):30 (CON):31.25 (WIS):31.5 (CHA):25.25

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing." -Edmund Burke

"Love does not throw the book at you because love doesn't have a book to throw." -CS Lewis

Welcome Paladin!  Whereabouts in the Midwest?  I'm a Hoosier and this is also my first challenge.  Great goals.  I like the incorporation of hill sprints.  Its a great leg workout.  Also great that you are leveling up spiritually.  Good luck!

Born and raised in the Hawkeye state! I feel good about the goal of hill sprints, although I've never attempted them. I might actually go do a run through it once my lunch digests a little more. I'll be sure to log that in my Battle Log afterwards.

Hi paladin! I love your goals! I'm horrible about getting in the word daily- it's not as easy as some folks think. Can't wait to watch your progress!

It is a big challenge because there are so many other things that get in the way and distract us from it. If my priorities are straight, it should be at the top each day. Which is where it will be!

Very nice! Which translation of the Bible will you be reading?

I'll be reading the NLT version, enjoying the Every Man's Bible that my wife got me for Christmas.

Paladin

Level 1 Dwarven Scout

Great goals Paladin! good luck!

german

monkey scout

"swim, bike, run", or at least "Don’t drown, don't crash, don't walk"

“If you ever start taking things too seriously, just remember that we are talking monkeys on an organic spaceship flying through the universe.†-Joe Rogan

Thanks everyone! I suppose I'll take the time this morning to recap how I did with my goals yesterday. Obviously, being Day 1, it was pretty much guaranteed to bring progress:

I started my morning (and this one!) in prayer and reading through the Bible. I picked up where I left off the last time, which put me around Chapter 12 of 1 Chronicles. Reading God's promise to David to place one of his descendents eternally on the throne was inspiring, and a clear reference to Jesus. I can't wait to read some more.

I chose to do a lifting workout yesterday rather than running, mainly because it started to sleet outside. Today, rain or shine, I will be getting a run in on lunch. But with my lifting I managed to add 10# to my previous P.R. on the deadlift. At this rate I'll be securing that objective in 2-3 weeks!

Finally I spent a little time reading through a few topics in the running forum here, made a post in one of them, and read the first three chapters in Born to Run. I decided that would be my first running book to read, and so far it has me interested.

Paladin

Level 1 Dwarven Scout

I started my morning (and this one!) in prayer and reading through the Bible. I picked up where I left off the last time, which put me around Chapter 12 of 1 Chronicles. Reading God's promise to David to place one of his descendents eternally on the throne was inspiring, and a clear reference to Jesus. I can't wait to read some more.

Great job on your first day!  I am currently facilitating a ladies' study at church on the Book of Daniel.  This morning my study and preparation focused on Daniel 11. Captivating and thrilling!  Keep it up!

Scout

Great job on your first day!  I am currently facilitating a ladies' study at church on the Book of Daniel.  This morning my study and preparation focused on Daniel 11. Captivating and thrilling!  Keep it up!

Thanks! Well, now I'm three days in and I'm doing great on 3/4 of the goals! I really like the book of Daniel, so I can see how that would be a captivating and thrilling study!

Yesterday I was going to run on lunch, but then things came up so I ended up altering my plans and doing some bodyweight exercises instead to salvage my day.

Today was personal training, and we just so happened to do Deadlifts this morning to try and continue increasing weight. So I was able to increase another 5# this week on this morning's workout.

I've posted another response in the Running forum, as well as have now gotten 8 chapters into Born to Run. I'm moving in the right direction still on this goal.

I spent my morning in prayer and reading the Bible for the third day in a row, keeping that momentum moving.

But I'm still sitting here without a run under my belt. Of any kind. That changes tomorrow!

Now to contemplate my mini-challenge. I might just try for a new plank P.R. After all, it is a great core exercise and I was SOOOOO close to breaking a minute the last time...

Paladin

Level 1 Dwarven Scout

I ran this morning! Due to having to work soon, I didn't go as long as I wanted but I cut 41 seconds off my last timed mile, did two sets of 30 second strides, and then came home and added 26 seconds to my plank time. I'm pumped this morning!

Paladin

Level 1 Dwarven Scout

Heading to my workout soon, but before I go I wanted to update my plans for Saturday. It sounds like all the nerds who were in attendance at the BM turned out to be okay, but I think it is pretty cool that we're holding a Solidarity Run tomorrow. I looked at it yesterday, was contemplating it, and then my wife suggested I do it before I could even bring the subject up. I've only run in 5k races, and I think I maxed my mileage last year with a 4 mile run, but I feel like I am in better overall health now than I was then.

Would it be wise to try and go the six miles, or should I take a more conservative approach and shoot for 4 miles instead? My running so far this year has not progressed very far in terms of mileage or frequency. I'd love to push myself for the full course, but I am leaning on your wisdom to see if that would be trying to do too much too soon.

Paladin

Level 1 Dwarven Scout

I ran this morning! Due to having to work soon, I didn't go as long as I wanted but I cut 41 seconds off my last timed mile, did two sets of 30 second strides, and then came home and added 26 seconds to my plank time. I'm pumped this morning!

Great job!  You must have been truckin!  The solidarity run sounds very cool.  I will let the more experienced runners give you the advice you ask for, as I am not sure.  Have a good workout!

Scout

Ooo I like NLT. Easy to read and my Life Recovery Bible is that translation!

My Blog | My Story

Race: Wood Elf | Class: Footpath Ranger Leader

Level18 (STR):44.25 (DEX):37.25 (STA):30 (CON):31.25 (WIS):31.5 (CHA):25.25

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing." -Edmund Burke

"Love does not throw the book at you because love doesn't have a book to throw." -CS Lewis

I think you should pay this by ear, run and see how you feel, you can always walk if you do not feel like going the entire distance, I would not do the "out and back" route, but rather the full 6 mile course, even if it means to walk a little, but that's just my opinion.

german

monkey scout

"swim, bike, run", or at least "Don’t drown, don't crash, don't walk"

“If you ever start taking things too seriously, just remember that we are talking monkeys on an organic spaceship flying through the universe.†-Joe Rogan

My advice would be to be careful about pushing for too much too soon.  A few months back I was training for my first marathon and did one of my long runs too fast and too far, and I ended up with a knee injury that eventually sidelined me for two weeks.  Now I'm just doing a half marathon.  But I'm training smarter and feeling great.

If you want to go for more distance, be sure to take it slow and/or take walking breaks if you need to.  And vice versa, on a day you want to go for more speed, keep the run shorter.  You can always save an even bigger improvement for the next run... unless you're injured.

jfrankovich

Level 5 Scout

I've run 306 miles in 2013!Current Challenge // 4th Challenge // 3rd Challenge // 2nd Challenge // 1st Challenge

Whether training or racing, a ScoutCannot wait to lace up and get outFor a ride or a run—It's rewarding and funTo set forth and explore a new route.

Great job!  You must have been truckin!  The solidarity run sounds very cool.  I will let the more experienced runners give you the advice you ask for, as I am not sure.  Have a good workout!

Well, compared to my slow speed the last time I was. I have a long way to go before I reach where I'd like to be, and even farther to go before I would consider my running to be "fast". But at least it is progress in the right direction!

Ooo I like NLT. Easy to read and my Life Recovery Bible is that translation!

I like it a LOT so far. My first reading of the Bible was last year, and I went NIV with that. I find this version to be a lot more readable.

I think you should pay this by ear, run and see how you feel, you can always walk if you do not feel like going the entire distance, I would not do the "out and back" route, but rather the full 6 mile course, even if it means to walk a little, but that's just my opinion.

I figured this would be the advice I would get, but I wanted to be sure. I know I can get my body to move through the entire 6 mile course, even if it isn't all at a run. Thanks!

Awesome challenge! I love the bible reading goal. It's like spiritual food, we gotta eat regularly. Born to run is a great book! Very entertaining and motivating to get out and run somewhere.

An excellent comparison. You wouldn't let yourself starve with food, so why would we do the same with the Word? And I'm loving Born to Run so far!

My advice would be to be careful about pushing for too much too soon.  A few months back I was training for my first marathon and did one of my long runs too fast and too far, and I ended up with a knee injury that eventually sidelined me for two weeks.  Now I'm just doing a half marathon.  But I'm training smarter and feeling great.

If you want to go for more distance, be sure to take it slow and/or take walking breaks if you need to.  And vice versa, on a day you want to go for more speed, keep the run shorter.  You can always save an even bigger improvement for the next run... unless you're injured.

Thanks for the advice. The last thing I want to do is end up sidelined with an injury, but at the same time I want to see how far I can push my body and break through to new levels that I never imagined. Part of me is afraid to leap into the longer distance, but at the same time I wonder if I can do it. I aim to do a 20k/half marathon next year sometime, so I'll have to bump the distance eventually. Again, thanks for the feedback!

Paladin

Level 1 Dwarven Scout

I'm in the middle of Born To Run as well... and am about convinced I need to at least TRY barefoot or vibrams! :)

I'm loving the writing style too! Very engaging! Hard to put down!

Level 1 Centaur Scout / Ranger

STR 2 | DEX 2 | STA 1 | CON 1 | WIS 2 | CHA 2

Challenge 1 Challenge 2 Challenge 3 Accountability Spreadsheet   Current challenge

"Never give up on a dream just because of the time it will take to accomplish it. The time will pass anyway."

~Earl Nightingale

Welcome to the Scouts! I think you will find that you like it here!

Love the goals! Great first challenge, and possibly some inspiration for my next challenge!

Sora

Hylian Scout Lv.6, Hero of Rivertown
STR: 6 l DEX: 8 l STA: 9 l CON: 9 l WIS: 10 l CHA: 8

"You are what you repeatedly do" -Aristotle 

Most Recent:Challenge #7 "VII - Sora Returns"

BF% loss progress  
Start: 25% BF                                                                                                                                    17.5% BF                                                                                                                                        10% BF

17%
17%

Weight Loss Progress
Start: 178.4 lbs.                                                                                                                                 166.7 lbs.                                                                                                                                         155 lbs. 

43%
43%

I'm in the middle of Born To Run as well... and am about convinced I need to at least TRY barefoot or vibrams! :)

I'm loving the writing style too! Very engaging! Hard to put down!

I agree - a really good writer and a really good subject. The book that launched a thousand people into calling themselves Barefoot ______ (insert name here). Vibram got a fair wedge of my money as a result and the shop I went to was full of people who had read the book too!

Level 20 Ferret Demon Scout

STR 43 | DEX 21 | STA 49 | CON 30 | WIS 45 | CHA 21

Challenges: #1 #2 #3 #4 #5 #6 #7 #8 #9 #10 #11 #12 #13 #14 #15 #16 #17 #18 #19 #20 #21 #22 #23 #24 #25

Instagram | Wordpress | Twitter | Linkedin | Goodreads | Facebook: *spits* I despise facebook!

Valeu a pena? Tudo vale a pena Se a alma não é pequena.

So today I ran in the Solidarity run, taking my first shot at going a 10k distance. As stated before, last year I had run two 5k races and maxed out around 4 miles on my own. My running quantity this year has been poor so far, so I was unsure about the wisdom of this choice.

But I went out there and did my fellow Scouts proud, running it in roughly an hour with a friend of mine. I had to walk only twice, and I hated myself for doing that much but I knew my body needed the relief. I survived the run, even though it wasn't an "official" race that had a closed course or was timed. It felt great!

And now I will be working on building up toward getting faster and being able to run the full 10k without stopping. :)

Paladin

Level 1 Dwarven Scout

Important Information

New here? Please check out our Privacy Policy and Community Guidelines