LadyInRed - Cycle 1 - Rise

LadyInRed

So this is my first challenge, and I'll appreciate input from the Rebellion. (Repost from Challenge goals thread) I'm focusing on forming new habits, in fitness and eating. I think I should start small, because it's a long journey, and I don't want to break down partway.

1. Form a solid, three workout days a week schedule. This includes doing 10 minutes of yoga 3 times a week ( 7.5 minutes for flexibility, 2.5 minutes for abs); Angry Birds workout twice a week, and going to the gym three times a week (I've been averaging twice a week, and sometimes thrice so far). I started this this week, and the schedule is as follows:

- Tuesday morning - Modified Angry Birds workout

- Tuesday evening - Circuit at my gym - Curves

- Thursday - same as Tuesday

- Saturday - Curves circuit. This might actually be [No more] 2 goals in one.

2. Eating - I've gone paleo, not full paleo, but I cut out grains, breads, sugar, and most processed foods. The processed "foods" I use are powdered chai tea, unsweetened almond milk, kefir - plain and strawberry, kettle corn[these were a pretty easy stretch, since I've decided that it's my time to lose weight], spices, etc. I'm not sure if I can list them all. Now to keep that up for the next six weeks. In order to keep up with this, and increase my veggie intake, I'm thinking of the following schedule:

- Saturdays - Buy meat, veggies and fruit from farmers market & grocery store

- Chop up veggies for the week, and make veggie & fruit smoothies. Not sustainable, and I'm not passionate about them, so I'm crossing those out.

Going the extra mile would be marinating the relevant meats. - Sunday - Make breakfasts and lunches for the work week. I've been sorta doing this for the past few months, but just for three days because I feared getting bored with eating the same things. If I make three dishes, this may be avoided. But I'll start with two. [These are pretty sustainable, are a stretch, and I'm happy to do them since it saves me money]

3. Start and maintain a food journal. I also started this this week.

4. Life goal: Focus on enjoying the new changes in my life. Rather than wallowing in guilt for not being able to bound up the mountain, I'll revel in making progress in small steps up that mountain. I may not have studied like I want to, but I'm expending willpower saying no to foods I should not eat, and working out even when I don't want to. So I'll take +1 WIS and Fireflower now. :)Start studying for an exam I've been putting off. I'm not sure if this won't be too much for me, because studying takes so much time. So it's either studying, or cleaning up my apartment. I already have a plan for this, so that might be the most appropriate goal, at least until I'm settled in my new eating and working out habits. [Well I've taken care of cleaning my apartment, and lately I've been feeling like I don't have any willpower left for studying, but it's still gnawing at me. Any advice here?]

If I'm understanding this correctly, we have 15 points to distribute in the attributes right? So I'll distribute mine as follows:

1. +1 STR +1 DEX +2 STA

2. +3 CON +2 STA

3. +1 CON + 2 WIS

4. +1 STR +1 WIS +1 CHA (The +1 STR is for mental strength, since half of this fight is mental after all.) All this PLUS the win from the Mini Challenge #1 - +1 WIS and one FireFlower :D Yippee!  Since this is still undefined I don't know what I can do here.

Phoenix_Rising.jpg

Level 2 Fire elemental adventurerSTR 3.75|DEX 2|STA 3|CON 5|WIS 5.5|CHA 4

Challenge: LadyInRed's Cycle 2: Burn

Challenge: LadyInRed's Cycle 1: Rise

It's my first challenge, too, so I don't have much input for you. How are you planning on tracking your food? I'm going to be tracking my food as well and I'm thinking of using MyFitnessPal. I've tried it in the past, but I'm lazy when something is as slow as trying to type something into my phone. :(

Good luck!

Human Adventurer, Level 3

STR 3.5 | DEX 1 | STA 7.5 | CON 8.5 | WIS 9.5 | CHA 2

First Challenge | Second Challenge | Third Challenge

Destiny is not a matter of chance, it is a matter of choice; it is not a thing to be waited for, it is a thing to be achieved.  --William Jennings Bryan

It's my first challenge, too, so I don't have much input for you. How are you planning on tracking your food? I'm going to be tracking my food as well and I'm thinking of using MyFitnessPal. I've tried it in the past, but I'm lazy when something is as slow as trying to type something into my phone. :(

Good luck!

Hi Melry. I'm using a simple spreadsheet on google drive that I can access anywhere. I'm estimating the amounts of food but I think I have a good handle on that. I go by the # of cups and list the ingredients. I'm already using LoseIt to track my weight and gym workouts s I don't want to add an extra app that I have to keep track of.

Thanks! Good luck to you too!

Good luck on your first 6 week gig LIR! You have the right idea to start slowly and work your way up. Those habbits will be more set when this challenge is over. Great to meet ya

Porkchop / Level 4 / Mammal-Adventurer

STR - 14  DEX - 4  STA - 7  CON - 11 WIS - 13  CHA - 7

“Wherever you are...be all there†

Challenge #4

Whew... So week 1 for goal #2 is partly done. I shopped on Saturday (bought excess food... Gotta watch that one), and made three dishes today: Chicken curry with plantain, Paleomg's easy breakfast pie, and the base for the rest of this weeks meals - seasoned ground beef. I should probably count the chicken bone broth as well. That makes 4ish. Yippee !

Whew... So week 1 for goal #2 is partly done. I shopped on Saturday (bought excess food... Gotta watch that one), and made three dishes today: Chicken curry with plantain, Paleomg's easy breakfast pie, and the base for the rest of this weeks meals - seasoned ground beef. I should probably count the chicken bone broth as well. That makes 4ish. Yippee

Preparing meals in advance like goal #2 is the best way t stay ahead of the curve. Chicken curry? Yum. Keep up the awesome!

Porkchop / Level 4 / Mammal-Adventurer

STR - 14  DEX - 4  STA - 7  CON - 11 WIS - 13  CHA - 7

“Wherever you are...be all there†

Challenge #4

Angry Birds Workout today - DONE! I added lunges to my routine today, so that's a plus. And I'll call that my modified angry birds workout (MABW) But I did not do my 10 minutes of yoga today. It might be a case of trying to do too much at a time, so I'll reduce that goal to the MABW 3 times a week + 3 times/week Curves circuit. These will happen on the same day. Maybe for my next challenge I'll add the yoga.

My #4 goal has also shortened a bit - I've gotten my apartment cleaned up, now it's just studying that's left. I'm committing to 1 hour, 3 days a week. I'll alternate these days with my exercise days, with Sunday as a rest day (It's a cooking day anyway so I'll need to concentrate on that). 

Food wise I'm doing well. Have continued eating almost paleo since I began on April 1st. My breakfasts and lunches for the rest of the work week are made. It's been a bit difficult adjusting my palate to my new breakfasts. My brain is confused by all the savory and no sweet for breakfast like I'm used to. I may also be sick of eggs. Going through 2 dozen eggs a week, up from 0 - 2 is very confusing. So I'll have to seek out help in the nutrition section of the forum.

My workouts have been going well. Did my Modified Angry Birds workout yesterday morning, and Curves circuit yesterday evening. My stats for the Angry Birds workouts are below:

1st day - 4/9/13:

Squats - 2 sets of 20                          - 40 total

Knee push ups - 3 sets of 12, 9 & 10 - 31 total

Arm rows - 3 sets of 15                      - 45 total

Planks - 2 sets of 20 and 15 secs      - 35 seconds total

Yesterday - 4/18/13:

Squats - 2 sets of 26                          - 52 total

Knee push ups - 2 sets of 15 and 13 - 28 total

Arm rows - 2 sets of 20                      - 40 total

Planks - 2 sets of 15 and 20 secs     - 35 secs total

Lunges - 2 sets of 10                        - 20 total

All in all, there's some advancement. I added the lunges because that has been a weak area for me, and I wanted to work on it. From the numbers above you can see that I'm weak in upper body strength, so I hope to gain mastery of Level 1 push ups (40 knee push ups) and planks (60 seconds) by the end of this challenge.

Sounds like you're doing well! I'm glad I'm not the only one who needed to make adjustments. How do you like prepping your meals on Sundays? I really like that idea. I might have to borrow it. By the end of the week, being so tired from working, I had a harder time sticking to my planned meals because I didn't want to take the time to make them.

Human Adventurer, Level 3

STR 3.5 | DEX 1 | STA 7.5 | CON 8.5 | WIS 9.5 | CHA 2

First Challenge | Second Challenge | Third Challenge

Destiny is not a matter of chance, it is a matter of choice; it is not a thing to be waited for, it is a thing to be achieved.  --William Jennings Bryan

Sounds like you're doing well! I'm glad I'm not the only one who needed to make adjustments. How do you like prepping your meals on Sundays? I really like that idea. I might have to borrow it. By the end of the week, being so tired from working, I had a harder time sticking to my planned meals because I didn't want to take the time to make them.

I actually like it. I was doing it before I found NF, but with different foods. I even missed making my 2 dishes this past weekend, so I only made breakfasts & chopped the veggies, but I had some free time on Monday so I made my lunches after work. I'll say you should start small. If you can make one dish that is enough for two meals, start there. I just watched a video about a girl who boils several eggs on Sundays and mixes 'em in with her veggies throughout the week, so you can do that. It might also help if you cook twice a week instead of once.

I actually like it. I was doing it before I found NF, but with different foods. I even missed making my 2 dishes this past weekend, so I only made breakfasts & chopped the veggies, but I had some free time on Monday so I made my lunches after work. I'll say you should start small. If you can make one dish that is enough for two meals, start there. I just watched a video about a girl who boils several eggs on Sundays and mixes 'em in with her veggies throughout the week, so you can do that. It might also help if you cook twice a week instead of once.

I've so gotta try that!

Today has been a hard day. I woke up not wanting to do my modified ABW (I did it anyway), got to work late, and now I'm not feeling good - sinus drainage, foul mood, missed meetings, some fatigue et al. Now I'm not really looking forward to my workout this evening. I just want to sleep. :( I probably do need sleep, but I don't want to set a precendent for missing workouts just because I feel like it.

Today has been a hard day. I woke up not wanting to do my modified ABW (I did it anyway), got to work late, and now I'm not feeling good - sinus drainage, foul mood, missed meetings, some fatigue et al. Now I'm not really looking forward to my workout this evening. I just want to sleep. :( I probably do need sleep, but I don't want to set a precendent for missing workouts just because I feel like it.

Good for you! Feelings are overrated anyways.

Just make sure your workout isn't to hard on your sleep deprived body,  no need to break it before you make it!

Good for you! Feelings are overrated anyways.

Just make sure your workout isn't to hard on your sleep deprived body,  no need to break it before you make it!

Sadly I chose not to go to the gym. I just relaxed, ate paleo, slept early & woke up refreshed. :)

Sadly I chose not to go to the gym. I just relaxed, ate paleo, slept early & woke up refreshed. :)

What's sad about that? Sounds like you still had a hell of a day! Go you!

Soooo... Last week was kinda hard. I did my two modified ABW's (got new numbers in each one! WOOT!), but only got to the gym once. Work was extremely busy last week, and I probably worked up to 70 hours. Food wise I kept eating paleo, and I upped my veggies for kicks. Anyway I'm hoping this week will be better. It's starting out pretty rough, and I'm desperately trying to hold on and not flip out and devour a tub of ice cream or something. It seems the hormone changes have begun. I'll spare any guys the details, but I posted in the ladies-specific forum if anyone wants to check that out.

In the good news section, even though I felt like diving into a bowl of ice cream, my craving for lettuce and tuna this evening were actually more powerful than the craving for ice cream (it was really more of a faint memory than a real craving). :D I didn't have any tuna or lettuce on hand (my bagged salad turned out to be full of crap that's not paleo so I tossed it), so I ended up substituting both items for kale and sardines. I mixed up the sardines with coconut milk instead of salad cream, heated up two types of kale with 2 teaspoons of coconut oil. Plated the kale and coconut, and topped it with the sardine-coconut milk mix. Deeeelish!!!! :)

Haha, isn't it funny when your cravings start to change? Just the other day I got a craving for a cheat food -- not brownies, not pizza, not pasta... but oatmeal. Oatmeal. It's still not allowed on Paleo, but it was so bizarre that I'd crave oatmeal instead of something completely junky. Bodies are weird.

Kale, coconut, and sardines... Mmm! That's something I've never thought of before. It's great to hear your Paleo adventure's going well. :)

Lvl 5 Lightbending Bard
STR: 10 | DEX: 10 | STA: 7 | CON: 9 | WIS: 15 | CHA: 5.5
"If the desire to write is not accompanied by actual writing, then the desire must be not to write." - Hugh Prather

Feel free to drop by my current challenge!

Haha, isn't it funny when your cravings start to change? Just the other day I got a craving for a cheat food -- not brownies, not pizza, not pasta... but oatmeal. Oatmeal. It's still not allowed on Paleo, but it was so bizarre that I'd crave oatmeal instead of something completely junky. Bodies are weird.

Kale, coconut, and sardines... Mmm! That's something I've never thought of before. It's great to hear your Paleo adventure's going well. :)

It is! And veeeeeeeeeery weird. :D 

Arghhh... Didn't update last week, but it was a pretty hard week (My woes are narrated in my various updates and the women's-specific forum). I did my modified angry birds workout just once, but made it to the gym three times. Continued eating paleo with even more veggies, even though I wanted all the cake and all the ice cream... Weirdly enough, sardines, tuna, and plantain hit that spot. Anywhoooo... that's how last week went. Now on to week 4!

Shopping and bulk cooking are still going on well, but I had to relax a bit because of hormones and cramps... Ugh... So while there were no egg muffins, or ground beef made, I do have a pot of butternut squash & plantain chicken curry set for the rest of the week, and the rest of my chicken + plantain salad from paleomg's recipe left for breakfast tomorrow. Yum!!! :D

Exercising was good today. Had to break up the angry birds workout because I was running late, so I did one set this morning, and the second set in between my Curves circuit this evening. A little weird, but it worked! ;)

I'm having the same issue with cramps and such, but I tried some tea that was recommended and so far I feel better. But I still get tired and crave sugar and carbs like crazy!

Glad you are doing great with your challenge so far, despite the tug of the evil ones.

I'm having the same issue with cramps and such, but I tried some tea that was recommended and so far I feel better. But I still get tired and crave sugar and carbs like crazy!

Glad you are doing great with your challenge so far, despite the tug of the evil ones.

Thanks LostOne1775! The only thing I haven't kept up with in my challenge is the food journal. I've slipped into updating it weekly instead of daily. This was about the hardest challenge for me, because I'm just not a diary/journaling person. I'm more of a list person. It will probably take a lot more to form that habit, and I have a bunch of other habits that probably need to take priority over that one. However, keeping the food journal has let me know that I NOW probably eat too much plantain. Ugh... I need a win. :(

Don't worry you'll get one! Just takes practice and dedication, you are getting practice and you already have dedication. So kick ass warrior queen!

I always had a hard time with keeping a food journal.  Instead, I just prepared 2-3 meals for the week at the start of the week so I didn't have to think about writing it down.  Just no snacking and the only real 'tracking' was dinner.

So like, I made mini-quiches on sunday and that's my breakfast so no need to track that.

portioned out trail mix into ziploc bags so that's all set too.

homemade chicken salad with red onion, grape tomatoes, and bacon. again- no need to track.

the only variable was dinner; which is always a meat + veg.

That with 3-4 pieces of dark chocolate and I don't need a journal.  It's much easier for me.  How goes it fo you?

Important Information

New here? Please check out our Privacy Policy and Community Guidelines