kaynorski's practical practice

kaynorski

Hello again,

Life goal: take 30 minutes a week day of non-TV, -computer, -or book time to get other things done. I have come into lately a bad habit of coming to my apt tired after work eating dinner then doing nothing productive until bedtime. Other things include laundry, cleaning, dishes, cooking for tomorrow, and grading papers. ( I am a teacher.)

Food goal: make 5 lunches on Sunday for the week ahead. I can make something the night before if I don't want what I made on Sunday but I need something ready to grab for each day on Sunday

Part 2 food goal: All meals I eat need to have a protein source and veggies.

Fitness goal: Strengthen ankles through yoga, I have weak ankles especially the right one, in fact just sprained it again on a patch of ice ( and I thought spring was suppose to come early this year.) Balancing poses and standing poses, should be the bulk of my practice, as well as stretching calves and hamstrings.

15 minutes 3 days a week practice outside of Thursday's beginners class.

best of luck - i like your plan!  

I have the bad habit of just zoning after dinner, too. I'm hoping that having a list of projects I *must* complete as part of this challenge will keep me going and away from the non-productive time sinks. Good luck!

yes - it is so hard to get up from the dinner table and then be productive.  i try to do another chore while making dinner - which is moderately successful sometimes.  

life is too busy and we have so little time!!! 

are you counting the time you spend in the kitchen prepping lunches as "getting something done"?? i think you could/should.  you are keeping your meal choice in order.  less chaotic lunch planning means your kitchen will probably look better and your getting ready for work routine will be smoother.  

Introspective Bookworm (Lvl 6)STR 8.5 | DEX 10 | STA 11 | CON 13 | WIS 15 | CHA 11Look, I... I may not be an explorer, or an adventurer, or a treasure-seeker, or a gunfighter, Mr. O'Connell, but I am proud of what I am. I... am a librarian. (Rachel Weiss, The Mummy)Intro/Current Challenge | Fitocracy | MFP 

Thank you for your support,

I haven't been getting solid sleep. I don't really know why I keep waking up at like 4 when I can sleep until 6:30. But this may be just an excuse for me being unproductive. I know I am more of a morning person, but I value my sleep. Alright am now getting up to be "productive".

I had leftover alfedro from last week for lunch and a red leaf salad for dinner. I am not really paleo, dairy is fine ( i am from Wisconsin)some grains but limited, and overall the least processed the better.

I totally understand the sleep issues,  I had a really tough time with sleeping about a year ago.  What ended up helping me is to not watch tv or be on the computer or my phone for a little while before bed.  I now read instead, its something about the bright screens that just caused issues for me, before I had thought it couldn't be that since I would go to sleep quickly but I couln't stay asleep without waking up several times during the night.  I know turning things off for 30 mins was one of your goal, but I don't know how soon you turn them off before bed.  So I just thought I would through it out there.

Level 2 Hobbit Druid

STR 1 I DEX 2 I STA 4 I CON 5.5 I WIS 7.5 I CHA 4.75

Challenge 1 - 1.1 - 1.2 - Current Challenge

I usually go to bed around 10-10:30. I did my thirty minutes last night before bed. But getting things done is not exactly restful. But ii did sleep a little better last night. I am excited about the mini challenge this week. The protein count is already in my goals. I seem to feel more full and snack less if I have protein in my meal even if it is eggs, Greek yogert or meat. Today I am 2 of out 3 meals on that goal. I have not prepared my meals yet for the week Sunday was not very productive. Anyways going now to make chicken and veggies for the next few days and do dishes.

OK, today went better, but still woke up at 4. Very productive tonight am about to do yoga now to clam down (thanks j as). I am procrastinating grading but did clean my bathroom cink and shower, they needed it but grading should of came first on priorities. 3/3 for protein today. That all for today thanks everyone I love to read your comments they are so supportive and insightful.

I hear you on the coming home from work too tired and doing nothing until bed time. That used to be me... which is why my challenge is insanely long... it forces me to do something in the evenings or fail. I still struggle with it a lot. It takes a while to break that habit but believe me when I say its totally worth it!

Waking up at 4AM like clockwork not matter what time I go to bed... that used to happen to me regularly back in 2004. Thats when I was working too hard and not doing enough for myself (not eating well, not exercising, no hobby, no contact with friends&family and was really stressed about work, so I worked every spare moment). You may find that exercising more, taking up a hobby, time with friends&family, focusing on doing things for yourself and around the house will break that pattern. :)

If you have time checkout our mini-challenges series:

http://nerdfitnessrebellion.com/index.php?/topic/27575-mini-challenge-around-nf-in-40-days-strong-like-a-warrior/

I look forward to seeing how you go with this challenge!

Lusitanian Druid, Level 9
STR: 13 | DEX: 15 | STA: 17 | CON: 22 | WIS: 25 | CHA: 25

“We are what we repeatedly do; excellence, then, is not an act but a habit.†- Aristotle

Current Challenge: Living the Good Life II Past: 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th, 6th, 7th,  8th9th, 10th11th, 12th

Goal: 1001 Steps on the Road to a Home -> 18/348 in 2015 

5.27%
5.27%

Goal: loose 9KG in 2015 -> 1.5KG lost 

16.67%
16.67%

I have been stressed lately, this is my first year teaching, and with 5 preps as well as a after sch

ool program. That takes up most of my time and energy. During college I had the 4 am to 9 am shirt for a couple of semesters. However I did not really get used to the time and could not wake up on my own for only two days a week.

Made a pot of hamburger potato carrot and cabbage stew yesterday. Enough for he whole week and then some.

Extra yoga last week was 1/3 times. But I practice for 30 minutes instead 15. So grade: 45%.

Protein today 3/3.

Productiveness: thursday- yes, Friday- special plans so does not count., Saturday- did it but reluntant. Sunday yes but rushed felt like I had mountains to do, got part done. Monday i 'm about to have my half hour now.

Love feedback, (it really is what helps me stayed focused and committed to updating.)

Looks like a great first week!

Do try to up your yoga time... you may find that it helps with sleeping. :)

Productivity is the ultimate goal. I struggle with it myself. However, I do find that getting started is the biggest part of the battle. So you should see some progress with your 30min goal. 

Keep up the good work!

“We are what we repeatedly do; excellence, then, is not an act but a habit.†- Aristotle

Current Challenge: Living the Good Life II Past: 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th, 6th, 7th,  8th9th, 10th11th, 12th

5.27%
5.27%

16.67%
16.67%

i woke up at 4am on the dot and immediately thought of you.  i have many teachers in my life (my husband is one) and i have seen how stressful that first year can be.  as they say "it gets better"

taking time to make sure you are eating right and getting some exercise is going to make it a little easier to cope with.  

your stew sounds tasty. if you are a big fan of cabbage -  you should try this recipe - i loved it so much I ate it for breakfast. makes a decent amount you can eat over several days. i didn't peel the apples and it didn't change the awesomeness. and i used probably closer to 2/3 c of chicken broth. you could probably turn it into a stew.

Introspective Bookworm (Lvl 6)STR 8.5 | DEX 10 | STA 11 | CON 13 | WIS 15 | CHA 11Look, I... I may not be an explorer, or an adventurer, or a treasure-seeker, or a gunfighter, Mr. O'Connell, but I am proud of what I am. I... am a librarian. (Rachel Weiss, The Mummy)Intro/Current Challenge | Fitocracy | MFP 

tired after work eating dinner then doing nothing productive until bedtime

That sounds like a dream come true.  Except the tired part.  OK, not really.   But no shame in it since it's what a lot of hard-working adults naturally fall into.  Yay for you, for recognizing and fighting it.  How are the ankles feeling?  It might be too soon to tell a difference but at the end of the 6 weeks I bet you will.

Level 3 Fox DruidSTR +4 / DEX +5 / STA +3  / CON +2 / WIS +7 / CHA +2

"If you plan to face tomorrow, do it soon."  (G. Lightfoot)

Yippy, today I celebrate one of my fitness milestones. I am currently the weight on my drivers license. I have lost a total of 30 lbs in my 2 years on nerdfitness. I lost the final 5 in the last month.

Here are some things I discovered about myself that helped in this long term quest.

1) eat protein with every meal. Last year, I did a food log for about 2 months. Looking at that data, made me realize that when i had a high protein lunch I lost more weight. For this challenge, I wanted every meal to have a major source of protein. I have been doing very good on this goal. I had one meal without a good protien source out of the last few weeks that I did not post (sorry druids).

2) increase veggies, I love spring time,

3) be more productive by getting off the couch. This has gone well, but still need some work, on nights something is going on at school or yoga class nights, I get home late and relax from the day.

4) cook for myself. Preparing your own food from real food is wonderful.

5) use yoga to improve posture, and strengthen muscles. Had my first weekly yoga class thismonth. As well as a home practice. However can still improve on the home practice. Only did one a week when my goal was three. Sad.

6) Sleep better by being less stressed out. Realized that I needed to put in Gods hands the things that I can't change. So instead focus on the things I can change.

Thank you everyone

Yippy, today I celebrate one of my fitness milestones. I am currently the weight on my drivers license. I have lost a total of 30 lbs in my 2 years on nerdfitness. I lost the final 5 in the last month.

Hooray! Congratulations! That's a HUGE milestone. And the last 5 lbs in a month?! Awesome!

Thanks for posting those tips. Hmmm...maybe I really do need to up the protein some...

Wandern
Wood Elf Druid
Level 10
STR 15 | DEX 19 | STA 18 | CON 16 | WIS 22 | CHA 20
Current Challenge: Focuses on Fitness 

Old Challenges 1110 9 876543, 2, 1

Hooray! Congratulations! That's a HUGE milestone. And the last 5 lbs in a month?! Awesome!

Thanks for posting those tips. Hmmm...maybe I really do need to up the protein some...

Thanks, my main protein comes from eggs, for breakfast I have Greek yogert. A handful of almonds mid morning. And cut down on snack food in the evening. If I have a salad I usually add a develed egg on the side.

30lbs is awesome. And thank you for the tips regarding your success.

I totally agree on the eating protein with every meal... in the old days I would be a eat a sweet with every meal kinda girl... now no meal is complete without a little protein. :)

Getting off the couch... thats something a lot of us need to get better at! 

Looking forward to your next update: :)

5.27%
5.27%

16.67%
16.67%

THanks everyone,

I have slipped a bit after the milestone. Still tried the protein goal mostly but failed for about 5 meals over the past 3 weeks. Grade B-,

Yoga outside of class once over the past 3 weeks, grade F. Procrastination goal did not do 2out of 5 nights for the past 3 weeks, grade C. Cooking all meals for the week ahead: grade C, did not of at all the past week and a half cooked nightly or some morningly during that time.

Overall I struggle to maintain momentum after about half way, :(

Important Information

New here? Please check out our Privacy Policy and Community Guidelines