• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

obax

obax Keeps on Truckin'

This time 'round I'm looking to build on past successes and form some new habits (and get back to one old one that I let slide). Without further ado, my goals! Despite my lament in the last challenge about picking lack-luster goals because I thought I had to, I'm throwing one extra in there this time, because it shouldn't take much time out of my day and it's something I really want to work on.

Goal #1 - Beep Some More (+2 STA)

Same ol', same ol'. I was able to make level 6 twice in a row at the end of the last challenge. This time, I'm looking to increase from level 6 to level 7, and then at least maintain that. The police requirement is level 6.5, so being able to consistently achieve level 7 or higher will give me a buffer against nerves and such. I'll continue with what I was doing in the last challenge, with me running 3x per week, one short run (2k), one long run (4-5k) and the test itself once per week.

This is a pass/fail goal. If I make level 7 at least 2 weeks in a row, I get an A. If I do not make level 7 at all, or only once, then it's a fail. I will give myself +0.5 STA for any 1/2 level achieved above 7, even if it's only once.

Goal # 2 - Stretching: Redux (+2 DEX)

In my first challenge, I had stretching as a goal of mine, and was fairly successful at it. In the last challenge, I let the stretching fall by the wayside, and my hips and knees are mad at me for that. So, this time I'm getting back to daily stretching, even on my off days. The main areas I want to hit are: hamstrings, calves/soleus, hips, quads. If this is all I do, that is a successful day. These are are problem areas for me, especially with a job where I'm on my feet the whole time, and have a significant effect on my running goal. So that's the minimum.

If I find (make) the time, I also should do some upper body stretching, especially after I climb, as well as some neck and shoulder mobility stuff.

An A will be 0 or 1 skips over the course of the whole 6 weeks. B is 2 or 3 skips. C is 4 or 5 skips. D is 5 or 6 skips. F is more than 6 skips. 

Goal # 3 - Grip It! Grip It Good! (+2 STR)

This is a simple goal. I will use the grease-the-groove method to train my grip to help with my climbing. I'll be doing this 3 or 4 times per day, every day. After reading Waldo's experience with it in his last challenge, I think this will take place over only 4 weeks rather than the full 6, depending on how I feel. I have absolutely no idea how much my strength could improve via this method, so it's hard for me to set a specific goal, but I'll grade myself based on the number of skips over the course of the 4-6 weeks that I do this.

An A is 0 or 1 skips. B is 2 skips. C is 3 skips. D is 4 skips. F is more than 4 skips.

Goal # 4 - Track It! (+2 CON, +2 WIS)

No, I have not been infected by the Spreadsheet Virus that seems to be going around. But I am curious about my fat/weight loss, or lack thereof. I have definitely noticed a reduction in waistline, among other things, but my weight has not changed AT ALL (so far as I can tell) in the last 3 or so months. This is strange to me. I will admit that I don't regularly weigh myself, nor to do I track calorie intake, so those are the things I will do.

I will weigh myself first thing on the Monday of each week in the challenge, after I've done my business but before I've had anything to eat or drink (NOTE: anyone more experienced with regular tracking etc., advice on whether this is a good time to weigh in, or if it's just important that it's the same time every week, is appreciated).

I will also track my calorie intake using MyFitnessPal on my phone and on the intertubes. This will be hard for me, this does not come naturally, and I have so far found MyFitnessPal to be not particularly easy to use, despite so many rave reviews of it. I'm shooting for a calorie deficit of 500 calories per day. I will base my calculations off my first weigh-in on Monday, so I'll post the exact amounts then.

I have no excuse to miss a weigh in, I literally have to step on a scale, wait a second or two, then go drink my coffee. So any missed weigh-ins will result in a fail for that half of the goal. For the tracking, I'm expecting this to be a slow starter. I haven't decided how many skips correspond to what grades. I will update when I've given it some more thought.

Note: I weighed in at 171.8 lb, and have calculated my calorie needs as 1915 per day (gross). That's including a 500 calorie deficit for weight loss. I used the BMR calculator and Harris Benedict equation found here, and called myself moderately active (I'm active more than 3-5 days a week, usually, but I'm not sure I'd call it 'hard exercise'. Maybe that's a mistake, we'll see how I feel as I go).

Goal #5 - Find (Make) Time! Then Do Stuff With It!

So this is going to be a multi-pronged, and possibly evolving, goal. Despite what my boss thinks of my abilities at work, I have terrible time-management skills. This is not so much because I'm bad at estimating how much time stuff takes, but because I'm lazy and easily distracted by the wily charms of the internet, and easily lose track of time when mindlessly surfing the internet.

So, I'm allowed to do my usual morning stuff. This includes checking facebook and my email (and responding to things as needed), and reading my daily programs (web comics). Once I'm done that, the computer gets closed until I've done all the things I should do throughout the day (minimum: workout + stretching). Once I've done that, I can open my computer, post my workout log here and comment on other threads. Then it gets shut again and I get out my book if I need something to do, or play a video game.

This is more of a problem on days when I work at night. On days off, I have more time in general, so a bit of mindless internet surfing is ok (assuming I've done all my stuff for the day). The real point is to get my arse in gear sooner rather than later, and not to sit around all day, then complain that I don't have time to workout or stretch properly.

Other things I want to do with my new-found (new-made) time:

1. Clean my room and keep it (more or less) that way for the rest of the challenge (at least)!!

2. Read moar books!!

3. Mini-challenges!!

4. Make new geocaches!! And hide them!!

5. Get my bike tuned up and start biking to work!!

6. Get a haircut!

7. Clean my car!!!

8. Change the air filter in my car and replace the license plate lights!

9. Get my license changed so that it doesn't say I need glasses, and has my current address on it!

Also, no computer or TV after work (assuming it's a midnight shift). I always have good intentions to go to sleep at a reasonable time, but then succumb to the lure of the electronic glow and stay up way too late.

ALSO, move my alarm clock to the other side of the room, and try to get out of bed close to the time my alarm actually goes off, rather than hitting snooze 5 times, then turning off the alarm and going back to sleep.

This is going to take some tweaking as I go, I think. And I need to be wary of replacing my mindless internet surfing with epic sessions of reading. Again, I have yet to decided how to grade this (suggestions welcome), so I'll post that at some point in the future.

Ungraded things I'd like to continue with:

Cooking for myself/eating proper food most of the time.

No chips!

Working on pull-ups while continuing to climb.

Oh, and I forgot to mention that I'll be having laser eye surgery at the beginning of May (the 2nd, to be specific). I don't know yet what I might have to put on hold because of that, or for how long. Healing my eyes will be my priority during that time, so if I have to scale it back on anything, then so be it. I think most of my goals will be fine to continue with, the running is the only thing I'm not sure about, and I can't imagine I'd have to lay off that for too long.

Nice goals, as usual - you're going to defeat that beep test, I can tell! And you should join us in the world of spreadsheets, they're fun, I swear!

I'm convinced that the uber-bug Wolverine suffered from at the end of the last challenge was brought on by too much spreadsheeting. I shall not suffer the same fate.

Also, who knew 'spreadsheeting' was a real word? I didn't. My computer did.

That is so not a word. Your computer's clearly on our side, though! Look at it this way - all that tracking you're doing could all be in one convenient place, easily correlate-able! So many variables, so many possible correlations... okay, now I realize that this is making me happy because I loved statistics class, and maybe other people did not find that fun. Details. Fine, you track your way and avoid the plague. :)

Awesome goals. Good luck curbing your Internet dependency. Lol.

Thanks! The internet one is going to be the hardest, I think, especially after work...

Great goal first off! I look forward to seeing all your progress. I've found tracking is easier after the first few weeks. I was tracking faithfully for the month and a half before my bike accident and then after the accident I was focusing on healing and it just didn't seem as important. But now I'm making an effort to track again (which is why its one of my goals, lol).  But once you get all the stuff you eat all the time entered or favorited (its been too long since I've used myfitnesspal, I use fitbit now) it makes entering it much easier.

This is going to take some tweaking as I go, I think. And I need to be wary of replacing my mindless internet surfing with epic sessions of reading. Again, I have yet to decided how to grade this (suggestions welcome), so I'll post that at some point in the future.

This made me laugh so much cause I end up having lots of epic reading sessions, though I enjoy it much more than mindless internet surfing. What do you like to read?

This made me laugh so much cause I end up having lots of epic reading sessions, though I enjoy it much more than mindless internet surfing. What do you like to read?

A bit of this and bit of that, but mostly sci-fi and fantasy (more sci-fi-ish of late). Top 3 authors, for reference, are China Mieville, Tom Robbins and William Gibson, not necessarily in that order (and there are others that could fall into the top 3 list depending on my mood).

I used to read voraciously, and still do when I have lots of time to myself (ie. at the cottage), but since I graduated school and got myself into the real world, it's slipped by the wayside. Especially with my last job, I was always so tired that all I had energy for was mindless internet surfing followed by inadequate sleep, and now that's become a habit. I enjoy reading more than internet surfing too, but it's so much easier to just stare at a screen and look at cats being amusing. My brain's gotten used to being turned off, I'm hoping this will help jump-start it a little bit. The point is more to make time than to read, though, so I have to be careful that, no matter what I'm doing to relax, I've done all my strenuous stuff already.

A bit of this and bit of that, but mostly sci-fi and fantasy (more sci-fi-ish of late). Top 3 authors, for reference, are China Mieville, Tom Robbins and William Gibson, not necessarily in that order (and there are others that could fall into the top 3 list depending on my mood).

I used to read voraciously, and still do when I have lots of time to myself (ie. at the cottage), but since I graduated school and got myself into the real world, it's slipped by the wayside. Especially with my last job, I was always so tired that all I had energy for was mindless internet surfing followed by inadequate sleep, and now that's become a habit. I enjoy reading more than internet surfing too, but it's so much easier to just stare at a screen and look at cats being amusing. My brain's gotten used to being turned off, I'm hoping this will help jump-start it a little bit. The point is more to make time than to read, though, so I have to be careful that, no matter what I'm doing to relax, I've done all my strenuous stuff already.

I read a lot of sci-fi and fantasy too, but never actually read any books by those three authors. Ever read any Peter F. Hamilton? I'm reading the Night's Dawn trilogy right now. Just finished the Wheel of Time series. I generally read about 50 books a year. Usually get an hour or two of reading in before bed every night. The worst nights are those where I'm too tired to read but don't want to sleep and then end up playing mindless games on my phone for 2 hours. I'm trying not to do that. Lol. Cause reading is so much more awesome :) I used to tell myself that I didn't have time to read, but I've found that when I make time for it, I'm happier, just like if I make time for exercising.

That is so not a word. Your computer's clearly on our side, though! Look at it this way - all that tracking you're doing could all be in one convenient place, easily correlate-able! So many variables, so many possible correlations... okay, now I realize that this is making me happy because I loved statistics class, and maybe other people did not find that fun. Details. Fine, you track your way and avoid the plague. :)

Me and stats absolutely do NOT get along. I scraped by in my 1st year stats class, and had frequent arguments with the spreadsheet software we used in other stats-based classes (at one point I screwed it up so bad the TA passed me on the assignment not because I demonstrated aptitude at whatever skill we were supposed to be learning, but because it was easier than trying to fix whatever I'd done to break the program). I recognize that this is a mental block and that simple spreadsheets are probably very useful, but I'm nowhere near wanting/needing that level of precision, so I'm happy to keep my spreadsheet hatred alive and kickin'.

Incidentally, I come from mathy people (my sister is one of them) and I absolutely do not understand your kind. She actually enjoyed calculus!!

The worst nights are those where I'm too tired to read but don't want to sleep and then end up playing mindless games on my phone for 2 hours. I'm trying not to do that.

Replace 'mindless games on my phone' with 'mindless internet surfing' and you have an apt description of the last 4 or 5 years of my life...

I have not read Peter F. Hamilton, though the name is vaguely familiar. I have a hate-on for the Wheel of Time series, and will never finish it just on principle. Tom Robbins isn't really sci-fi or fantasy, but there's a definite air of the fantastical about his writing (the quote in my signature is from one of his books). I highly suggest China Mieville, he's always in the #1 spot for me. His writing is absolutely beautiful. Look up 'Perdido Street Station' or 'The City & the City', but all of his are great. And if there are kids in your life, introduce them to 'Un Lun Dun' (or read it yourself, it's good for adults too).

I have not read Peter F. Hamilton, though the name is vaguely familiar. I have a hate-on for the Wheel of Time series, and will never finish it just on principle. Tom Robbins isn't really sci-fi or fantasy, but there's a definite air of the fantastical about his writing (the quote in my signature is from one of his books). I highly suggest China Mieville, he's always in the #1 spot for me. His writing is absolutely beautiful. Look up 'Perdido Street Station' or 'The City & the City', but all of his are great. And if there are kids in your life, introduce them to 'Un Lun Dun' (or read it yourself, it's good for adults too).

I've really been enjoying Peter F. Hamilton. Its good solid space opera sci-fi. I have a bit of a love/hate relationship with Wheel of Time. I actually thought it was much much better after Brandon Sanderson took over. Sanderson is one of my favorite fantasy writers lately. His Mistborn series is really good as is his stand alone novel, Elantris.

Thanks for the recommendations :) I already added them to my to-read list. Lol

Me and stats absolutely do NOT get along. I scraped by in my 1st year stats class, and had frequent arguments with the spreadsheet software we used in other stats-based classes (at one point I screwed it up so bad the TA passed me on the assignment not because I demonstrated aptitude at whatever skill we were supposed to be learning, but because it was easier than trying to fix whatever I'd done to break the program). I recognize that this is a mental block and that simple spreadsheets are probably very useful, but I'm nowhere near wanting/needing that level of precision, so I'm happy to keep my spreadsheet hatred alive and kickin'.

Incidentally, I come from mathy people (my sister is one of them) and I absolutely do not understand your kind. She actually enjoyed calculus!!

Oh, calculus was awesome. Admittedly, that's where my math knowledge ends, but I really like applied math - physics makes calculus make sense, and stats makes it so you can see actual information from pages and pages of numbers. But I totally respect your math aversion... I'll just be over here with my spreadsheets and graphs.

Geocaching!  I love Geocaching!  I just found this activity a few months ago but it's one of my favourite "get out and play" activities!

I really like your goal on getting things done and then surfing the net.  I do this quite a bit.  I always think I should cut down on my internet addiction and get more work done but then I forget about it because I have found some useless site that has interested me.

Good luck with everything especially your laser eye surgery!  

I agree with Rybo. At first MFP is seriously a pain to use but when your ingredient list is done, it gets way easier. 

So I got home from work last night and opened my computer to post something here, even though it was technically Monday where I am. As it turned out, the counter said I had 1 minute and 52 seconds 'til the challenge started, so it was fine... And then I forgot what it was I was going to post. I still don't remember. I did update my list of things I want to do with my new-found (made) time, though. I was successful at not turning on the TV, and read my book instead. That didn't get me to sleep any earlier than usual, but I feel like it's a positive step. Or something...

Helping my mom this morning, and then climbing later if there's time, I dunno how long the helping will take. And stretching!!

Good goals. The MFP tracking gets easier over time, especially if you eat the same things.

I agree with Rybo. At first MFP is seriously a pain to use but when your ingredient list is done, it gets way easier. 

This is what I'm hoping. I do tend to eat a lot of the same things, so maybe I just have to sit down one day and start putting in all those things beforehand. Maybe I'll experiment with it today...

Geocaching!  I love Geocaching!  I just found this activity a few months ago but it's one of my favourite "get out and play" activities!

I really like your goal on getting things done and then surfing the net.  I do this quite a bit.  I always think I should cut down on my internet addiction and get more work done but then I forget about it because I have found some useless site that has interested me.

Good luck with everything especially your laser eye surgery!  

Geocaching is a tonne of fun, my sister got me into it and now I'm hooked. I actually prefer hiding to finding, though it's great fun to go searching with my sister. Less fun on my own, though...

So I got home from work last night and opened my computer to post something here, even though it was technically Monday where I am. As it turned out, the counter said I had 1 minute and 52 seconds 'til the challenge started, so it was fine... And then I forgot what it was I was going to post. I still don't remember. I did update my list of things I want to do with my new-found (made) time, though. I was successful at not turning on the TV, and read my book instead. That didn't get me to sleep any earlier than usual, but I feel like it's a positive step. Or something...

I totally understand what you mean about sleep after reading being a positive step. I always feel like I sleep better if I spent an hour reading before bed instead of an hour on the internet. Lol

Nothing today. Not a great start to the challenge... Seriously lacking motivation today for a variety of reasons.

I did manage to log my food intake thus far in MFP. I still have 1000 calories to go, and that's after breakfast and lunch (my total net calories for now are around 1570, but that might changes when (if) I weigh myself tomorrow). Not sure if that's usual or not, but I guess I'll see as I go.

I always catch up from earlier in the day and prelog dinner/exercise when I get home from work to get an idea of how much calorie space I'm dealing with.

Just logged my dinner and I've still got, like, 640 calories left. Today wasn't a completely typical day, but not entirely unusual either. We'll have to see how it goes for the rest of this challenge...

For the record, this is what I ate today:

1/2 cup oats, measured dry

3/4 cup frozen blueberries

2 small cans of tuna in olive oil (not drained)

1 medium sized carrot, raw

1 navel orange

1 chicken pepperette thingy

1 chicken breast with bbq sauce

~2 cups steamed veggies with a bit of butter

I always catch up from earlier in the day and prelog dinner/exercise when I get home from work to get an idea of how much calorie space I'm dealing with.

I'll probably do something similar, though I'm not bothering to log my exercise, since rock climbing doesn't seem to be in there. I'm just going to figure out my total intake based on an equation whose name escapes me at the moment but includes calculations for activity levels, and just shoot for the total. I'm fine if the app tells me I'm always over. It'll be tough, though, if I can't even get my base in today, when I did no exercise...

I had to create my planks exercise and my handstands.  I am not sure how many calories I burn while doing them, not a whole hell of a lot when I am only doing each for 30 seconds per set.  I just wanted them in MFP so I could look back and see what I did.  I had to go on the computer to create the exercise, couldn't do it from my phone.