• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

obax

obax Keeps on Truckin'

I did have fun, actually, I think I'm gonna keep something like this up as regularly as I can. And my new eyes are doing great. They're pretty well done healing, they're just a bit dry, mostly in the morning. I'm still being cautious about rubbing them, but other than that I'm back to normal. Except that I can see better than when I had glasses!

I'm so glad they are healing so well :D I can't imagine being able to actually see my alarm clock in the morning without having to blindly grope for my glasses first. Lol

Note 2: the numbers in brackets with the question marks indicate sets I lost count on because my mind was wandering so I did one extra to make sure I did them all

I'm glad to know that I'm not the only one that does this. Lol :P

It's bloody hot and muggy again today, especially when the sun comes out, maybe it's time to think about adjusting my sleep schedule so I am awake enough after midnight to work out then go to bed at like 3 am and sleep through the hot. My choices come summer are that, or working out in the hottest part of the day... Neither appeal to me, really...

This sounds like a great idea! I hate working out in the summer too. I can't wait to move into my new town house cause the AC there will actually work. Lol

This sounds like a great idea! I hate working out in the summer too. I can't wait to move into my new town house cause the AC there will actually work. Lol

Trouble is, we don't have AC at all, so in the house is only marginally better than out of it... I'm really debating about this, I have no idea yet what I'll do when it gets hot and stays that way...

This weekend's workouts: also didn't happen. I don't feel especially bad about this, I had the whole weekend off and spent the time hangin' with my friends and family.

Saturday I watched my sister play rugby, and found out I might be able to practice with them for only $75-$100 (regular fee= $285), which is good, I could learn the game without putting myself or others in too much danger, and hopefully play for real next year. And then I napped for 2 hours, which is unheard of for me. I haven't been doing a good job of sleeping lately, so I guess I needed it. Then dinner with my sister and a friend who I haven't seen in forever. Today I gardened with my sister for most of the day, and then my grandma came for dinner so the whole family came over too, and tonight is a movie with my brother (Iron Man 3)

All in all a great weekend, even if I didn't do any exercise and or make the best food choices. I'll run the beep test on Monday or Tuesday for the end of challenge test, and post my wrap up then. Other than that, this challenge was a giant wash, so that's all I'm really worried about.

Oh, and a note from a couple days ago that I forgot to mention: I remembered to weigh myself the other day and I'm down to 168, which is less than both the times I weighed myself at the beginning of the challenge (in theory a loss of 4lbs in 6 weeks), so it seems my calorie intake level is ok. I'm reserving judgement until I can remember to weigh myself more often, this could have been an outlier in my ungathered data set, but still gonna let myself be cautiously optimistic. I have noticed that I'm officially on my last belt hole with all my pants, before recently it was only on my work pants because the material is thinner than my jeans. Now I'm getting to the point where I'll need another hole soon with my work pants (or the customers will just have to accept the sight of my plummers butt when I crouch down to tidy the lower shelves. I'm ok with either.)

Ok, well I guess I can start this wrap-up and just fill in the missing beep test stuff once I actually do it, I can definitely pass judgement on the rest of the challenge.

Beep Test Goal - B - +1.5 STA

Made level 6 this time, see my most recent post for the reasons why. I'm not impressed with this, but I know I can get level 7ish if I'm feeling good, and I overcame a major mental block, even if it hasn't entirely gone away. I'm not feeling as negative about this as I have in the past, and I'm not letting a poor performance get me down (as much) as before. I'll get it, eventually.

Stretching Goal - F - no points awarded

I didn't not stretch, and got ever so slightly less bad at doing it towards the end of the challenge, but overall I did terribly at this. I definitely had more than 6 skips, as per my original goal grading.

This is something I've really got to get on top of. I'm thinking of some sort of prescribed program for the next challenge, rather than trying to make myself do it on my own. Perhaps some Supple Leopard-ness, if I can get my hands on a copy of the book for a reasonable price. My shoulder/neck could definitely use it...

Grip Goal - F - no points awarded

I did practice my grip every time I climbed or did a playground workout, but the point of the goal was to train it via the GTG method, and this did not happen. I think if I went to basement more often I would have done better at this, since the place where I would have practiced it is part of the stairway, but as it was I only did it a couple of times total. 

Tracking Goal - C - +1 CON, +1 WIS

I did terribly at the 'weighing myself' part of this goal. I did excellently at the tracking my calorie intake part of this goal (though not perfect). On a side note, I did remember to weigh myself towards the end of the challenge, and seem to have lost 4lbs since the beginning of the challenge, so the calorie level and tracking seems to be working for me. There will be more of this in the next challenge, I think, hopefully I can actually remember to do the measuring that I want to do...

Making Time Goal - um... C...  - I never assigned points to this goal, but I'll go with +0.5 WIS

I started off pretty well with this goal, and I noticed a difference to the amount of time I had to do things, and actually got some stuff crossed off my to-do list. I was also nearly perfect at not using the computer or tv after midnight, and noticed a positive effect on my sleep patterns and quality. Then my eye surgery happened, and apparently this all went out the window and never came back in. That said, I definitely notice a difference between now and then, and am currently trying to get back on this track, or at least somewhere near the track...

One part of this goal I was really good at was the getting up on time. There were a couple of days where I left my phone near my bed and I succumbed to the snooze button, but any time I've put it across the room was a success. The phone shall stay there from now on.

Mini Challenges - +1 DEX

I'm gonna say I was successful only at Challenge #2, though I took part in #1, #4 and #6 as well. Some of the challenges were a no-go because of eye recovery, the rest due to laziness, but I did well at #2.

Overall Sum-Up

Bah. I learned my lesson in the last challenge about taking on too many goals, and then this time 'round I gave myself 5 in stead of 4. Makes sense... Next time I really will learn my lesson and cut back on the number of goals. I have one exercise goal in mind if I can get my hands on what I need, one diet-related goal, and one life-goal type thing. That'll probably be it. In my mind, the first 2 at least are ones I really want to work on and think I can be successful at. The life goal will be more of a fun thing that I may or may not be successful at but would like to at least attempt to do.

Darlin', I think we all biffed most of our goals this time:)  Personally, I think you 4.0'd this one with your Chaossin T-shirt, but I'm biased.  

Ha, maybe I can give myself a +1 CHA for that one...

I don't feel as bad as I have in the past about biffing my goals this time. Not sure why. Maybe it's because I had some success with the one goal that really matters. I'm generally in a better frame of mind than I have been in a while, so that's something. I'm also scared as shit, since I told myself that once I feel comfortable with the beep test I'd contact a police recruiter. While I'm not comfortable with it yet, I do feel closer to feeling comfortable, but do not at all feel ready to do this thing. I think I will never feel 100% ready, but holy crap, gah!!

Just ran the beep test, stopped at level 6. My legs were super tired today. I'm annoyed at myself but not as annoyed as I could be (more annoyed at the negative internal thoughts that crept in early in the test and that I couldn't shake, rather than at the performance itself). I'm not feeling 100% today, just generally tired and weak and not at all focused (I feel like I haven't eaten even though I have). Some of it is poor sleep last night (my own fault), some of it due to sleeping crooked a couple of nights ago and putting a crick in my neck/shoulder that gets worse each day, and the copious amount of drugs I took to make the pain of it tolerable (mostly this, I think).

This lack of consistency concerns me a bit, especially because my 'off' days come without warning. What if test day is a random off day? Maybe I just need to gain a little more endurance so that my off day still meets the standard, and my on day kills it. I dunno. All I can do for now is just do like the challenge title says: Keep On Truckin'.

Sounds to me like Keep on Truckin' is definitely the right mindset for this. You've made real progress on the beep test, even if you're not quite as solid as you want to be, yet, and the eye surgery was a big scary thing that you faced, and it went really well - you can do this, just keep going. You're doing awesome things. :)

Sounds to me like Keep on Truckin' is definitely the right mindset for this. You've made real progress on the beep test, even if you're not quite as solid as you want to be, yet, and the eye surgery was a big scary thing that you faced, and it went really well - you can do this, just keep going. You're doing awesome things. :)

Thanks! This is the first time in a long while where I've really felt this way, as if I really will get where I'm going at some point. It's a much nicer feeling than doubting everything all the time :)

I agree with, Aeryn.  More practice will definitely = more consistent runs.

Yeah, I know this rationally. Just 'cuz I'm feeling less doubty doesn't mean I'm not doubty at all, but I'm definitely doing a better job of setting it aside and looking at it from a calm and reasoned viewpoint. 

I think you did better than I did! Lol. Awesome job.

Ha, I dunno about that, I feel like you had a lot more obstacles than I did thrown in your way, and did a fine job of it anyway. But thanks!!

Next challenge I'm thinking for my life goal of finally hiding a geocache. Something I've always wanted to but haven't. So, fair warning, since you've hid several I may come to you for ideas and tips :)

Next challenge I'm thinking for my life goal of finally hiding a geocache. Something I've always wanted to but haven't. So, fair warning, since you've hid several I may come to you for ideas and tips :)

Heh, I've only hidden 3 and none are particularly clever, just old pill bottles covered in tape and hung in trees. I like the idea of using containers that would otherwise be tossed away rather than buying purpose-made ones, though that's a bit limited due to my lack of craftiness. But feel free to pick my brain, at the very least we can gush to one another about how much fun geocaching is...

Upping your fitness to where your performance is permanently increased is one of the underlying goals for all of this.  You've broken the barrier, which is the first step.  From here on out, so long as you keep with it the rest is inevitable.  Try not to be bummed out that you didn't nail everything this time, we're all psyched by your successes:)

Upping your fitness to where your performance is permanently increased is one of the underlying goals for all of this.  You've broken the barrier, which is the first step.  From here on out, so long as you keep with it the rest is inevitable.  Try not to be bummed out that you didn't nail everything this time, we're all psyched by your successes:)

I'm not bummed, actually. Somewhere along the line my brain finally decided to be zen about all this, as it is about most of the rest of my life, and let the rational side more or less take over. That doesn't mean I'm not worried about all sorts of different things related to the police testing/interview process, or that I no longer feel like I have no idea what I'm doing, or that it's not still scary as all hell, it just means that I'm setting those feelings aside and doing it anyway.

So what I'm hearing is that now you have The Power:)

Just like Hot Rod!

Now I have that song in my head....

Ok, so when I was a kid I was a He-Man freak. I had P.J.s and a sleeping bag and bed sheets and a comforter, the works. When I was really little I had a Viking armor/weapon set (helmet, breastplate, sword, shield), and whenever He-Man came on I had to have on at least the breastplate and sword, and any time Prince Adam changed into He-Man I'd stand up and get out my sword and say it all along with him.

I didn't even make that connection to He-Man though. I was also (and still am) a Transformers freak (the animated series/movie, not the crappy new movies). I was thinking of

from the original movie. This one scene was a major defining moment for me (that's not an exaggeration at all, it still gives me shivers). And I agree with the video guy, it was all Hot Rod's fault, I was so mad when
happened.

It's not even a very good song, but because it's associated with this, when I hear anyone talk about having The Power, this is what I think of, and I can't help but love the song.

I'll have to see if I can find a pic of me in my He-Man/viking getup and try to post it. I know one exists, it's just a question of finding it and getting it scanned...