• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

obax

obax Keeps on Truckin'

Thanks for the map-learning advice!! It's not the city I live in, however, so it makes it a bit harder, but I am familiar-ish with pockets of the city, so can start from there. I'll have to make a point of going there and walking around, I knew that was going to be the best way to learn it, but when you have to drive an hour each way to get there it's a bit of an undertaking. Maybe I can combine that with geocaching, there are many in Toronto. It'll mean some solo geocaching, I think, my sister's schedule and mine don't mesh very well or very often. Less fun, but it gives me a reason to be navigating around a city I don't live in. I dunno about laminating, though, it's like 4 feet by 5 feet or something. I'm fine with folding and refolding but that seems harder to do with a layer of plastic. Maybe I can fold it to the area I need and stick it in a Ziploc for waterproofness, at least.

I actually have a pretty good overall picture of the city in my head, I've spent a lot of time in the past staring at a map of it for just pure interest sake (I like maps a lot, and will likely have several as decorations in my home, if/when I ever own my own). So I know most of the main intersections and where they are in relation to one another. It's a bit harder on the ground, the tall buildings downtown can disorient me a bit, but I'm usually pretty good at figuring it out after a little thinking, and I have a fairly decent sense of direction. I don't know many of the smaller streets and only a few of the neighbourhood names, and I'm not good at distances, but I figure I'm off to a not bad start knowing most of the main thoroughfares. I'll just have to focus when I'm there, usually I just meander and take in the sights...

I think I'll leave all this 'til after my eyes are good to go, though, and just stare at it some more before then.

As for Neal Stephenson, I've read Snow Crash, and a few others of his, and thoroughly enjoyed them, the rest are on my to-read list (which is very, very long). And walking around in the dark is never an issue for me, at least in familiar places (and unfamiliar places too, I'm always vigilant because I'm just a tad afraid of the dark). I'm often up later than the rest of my family so walk around with no lights on to avoid waking them up, or getting the dogs excited, which would lead to barking, which would lead to waking...

Today's workout: didn't happen. The weather was absolutely nasty, which meant there was no way I was running outside, which meant no beep test this week. I did, however, spend the day geocaching with my sister, and we found some really cool ones (16 found, 2 DNF). I feel a little bad because they were all ones I wanted to do, though last time there were mostly ones she wanted to do, so I guess it evens out. I just don't like feeling like I dictated what others will do, and even though I know she'd say if she didn't want to do something, and is also willing to humour me sometimes, it still feels a bit like that. Ah well, next time I'll have to make sure we do lots on her list. Overall, it was a very fun day, it's been a while since I had a 'sister day'.

I did something to my back, I have no idea how. I might have tweaked it last night at work and not noticed at the time, or just slept funny, but either way it's been hurting in a really not good way all day. Walking around was better than sitting, but the few times I jogged across a field or something it wasn't good. The pain level is sharp but tolerable, though I feel like if I'm not careful it could very quickly become intolerable. So I'm taking tomorrow off of exercise too, unless a miracle happens over night and it works itself out, in which case I'll try a run of some sort. I'm certain I'll be right as rain by Monday, though. Or at least I hope so...

Tracking didn't go well, mostly because most of what I ate today wasn't easy to log in MFP and I'm too lazy to put it in piece by piece. I know that I can create my own recipes in it and that if I'm going to be successful at this tracking thing I will have to do so, but I just didn't have the energy for it today. At least I thought about it and chose not to do it, rather than forgetting all together (I don't know if that's really better or not, but I'm pretending it is). I did completely forget about my grip work, again. I don't know why this one is so hard for me to remember....

@sammiejune

I might try Peter F. Hamilton, though I just started another China Mieville book I haven't read yet, and am feeling the itch to dig out a couple old favourites after that. I'm not generally a fan of space opera types, but that doesn't mean I shouldn't give it a go...

As for my bike, it just hasn't been ridden in a few years. The tires are flat, which I could solve on my own, but I feel like after 3 years of inactivity, I should probably get someone to check it all out and grease up all the gears and joints and such. I also think I need it adjusted, preferably by a professional, since the reason I stopped riding it was that it hurt my knee, a lot. I've since learned that it could be a seat-height issue, but I have no idea about any of that stuff, hence the need for a professional.

I hope you don't feel like I'm pushing too hard. Lol. :P I love digging out old favorites from time to time. I read Stephen King's The Stand about once a year. I'd never really read any space operas before Peter F. Hamilton but I had a couple of friends recommend him to me and I wanted something different to read (I had been on a major fantasy kick before that).

I did something to my back, I have no idea how. I might have tweaked it last night at work and not noticed at the time, or just slept funny, but either way it's been hurting in a really not good way all day. Walking around was better than sitting, but the few times I jogged across a field or something it wasn't good. The pain level is sharp but tolerable, though I feel like if I'm not careful it could very quickly become intolerable. So I'm taking tomorrow off of exercise too, unless a miracle happens over night and it works itself out, in which case I'll try a run of some sort. I'm certain I'll be right as rain by Monday, though. Or at least I hope so...

Tracking didn't go well, mostly because most of what I ate today wasn't easy to log in MFP and I'm too lazy to put it in piece by piece. I know that I can create my own recipes in it and that if I'm going to be successful at this tracking thing I will have to do so, but I just didn't have the energy for it today. At least I thought about it and chose not to do it, rather than forgetting all together (I don't know if that's really better or not, but I'm pretending it is). I did completely forget about my grip work, again. I don't know why this one is so hard for me to remember....

Oh no!! When my back hurts a heating pad seems to help (though I have no idea what's wrong with your back, obviously) but I sincerely hope you feel better. Back pain is not fun!

I have days when I feel super lazy and don't want to enter stuff. Sometimes I find something that is close and call it good enough. Other times I jot down what I ate on a piece of paper and then enter it the next day when I feel more like it.

Maybe putting a sticky not somewhere that you would see it everyday would help you remember to do grip work?

Sounds like you already have a good start on knowing Toronto, and of how to work through orientation and navigation issues:)   Geocaching in the city sounds like an excellent way to get to know Toronto.  Maybe there's a Toronto geocaching group that you could link up with so you're not flying solo in the city?

Its good that you're wrestling with how assertive you were with your sister the other day.  This touches on how it is to be a cop.    When on duty, a police officer is always in charge of the situation.  There are two primary reasons for this:  the safety of others and then of yourself.  Police get involved with regular civilians only under extraordinary situations.  That usually means they are dealing with a something that is either physically, intellectually, or emotionally overwhelming for them, or they are doing something criminal.  Left to their own devices, these people will make bad, sometimes catastrophically bad, decisions and cannot be allowed to be in charge.  That's where you step in.  You will take charge and stop the madness.  

Most people aren't overtly assertive, we are socialized to accommodate others, and so it is a big step to move into the leadership position.  For these people it takes a lot of practice to do this successfully and without heavy handed tactics.  There's a lot of salesmanship that goes into the job.  It helps to make a game of really observing the people in your daily life.  Watch for who is influencing who, how they go about it, what they are trying to get, and how successful they are.  Then try out some of those techniques that you haven't used when the opportunity presents itself.  Its like a role playing game in 3D:)

Back to the safety of others and then of yourself part, this ties in with being oriented and knowing how to navigate.  Often you will be involved in a situation that is developing right here and right now and you will have to call it in without a whole lot of time to get oriented.  Other times you will receive a call to a serious situation elsewhere and you must be able to get there as quickly as possible.  Both of these circumstances are aided by always knowing where you are and by having a good mental picture of where that is in relation to wherever it is that you have to get to.  This becomes easier with practice.  After awhile you will be like Jason Bourne and automatically note and recall key facts about people, places and things.  Hopefully you won't experience migraines because of it.

On a different note, did you remember to step on the scale today?   Didn't see it mentioned:)

Sounds like you already have a good start on knowing Toronto, and of how to work through orientation and navigation issues:)   Geocaching in the city sounds like an excellent way to get to know Toronto.  Maybe there's a Toronto geocaching group that you could link up with so you're not flying solo in the city?

Its good that you're wrestling with how assertive you were with your sister the other day.  This touches on how it is to be a cop.    When on duty, a police officer is always in charge of the situation.  There are two primary reasons for this:  the safety of others and then of yourself.  Police get involved with regular civilians only under extraordinary situations.  That usually means they are dealing with a something that is either physically, intellectually, or emotionally overwhelming for them, or they are doing something criminal.  Left to their own devices, these people will make bad, sometimes catastrophically bad, decisions and cannot be allowed to be in charge.  That's where you step in.  You will take charge and stop the madness.  

Most people aren't overtly assertive, we are socialized to accommodate others, and so it is a big step to move into the leadership position.  For these people it takes a lot of practice to do this successfully and without heavy handed tactics.  There's a lot of salesmanship that goes into the job.  It helps to make a game of really observing the people in your daily life.  Watch for who is influencing who, how they go about it, what they are trying to get, and how successful they are.  Then try out some of those techniques that you haven't used when the opportunity presents itself.  Its like a role playing game in 3D:)

Back to the safety of others and then of yourself part, this ties in with being oriented and knowing how to navigate.  Often you will be involved in a situation that is developing right here and right now and you will have to call it in without a whole lot of time to get oriented.  Other times you will receive a call to a serious situation elsewhere and you must be able to get there as quickly as possible.  Both of these circumstances are aided by always knowing where you are and by having a good mental picture of where that is in relation to wherever it is that you have to get to.  This becomes easier with practice.  After awhile you will be like Jason Bourne and automatically note and recall key facts about people, places and things.  Hopefully you won't experience migraines because of it.

On a different note, did you remember to step on the scale today?   Didn't see it mentioned:)

I'd love to be like Jason Bourne, except without all the brainwashing and amnesia.... I like to think I'm good at reading people, but I don't really know. It's subconscious, so I can't point to this and this that make me think that person is a certain way. My first impressions about people are rarely wrong, and I'm not often surprised by the way people act (I'm not often surprised by anything, actually). I've never had to test this out in a serious situation, though, where my assessment of a person or situation could mean the difference between it going smoothly and it going sideways...

I think I might have a natural ability to calm down situations, and I'm certainly not one to react when others are upset and lashing out at me. I've done customer service jobs on and off for more than 10 years, and only once had a guy swear at me, and that was recently, and never had anyone yell or get particularly upset. Even when I'm giving them news they don't want to hear, they always take it well. My coworkers all tell different stories, about being yelled at and called names and such, but it's never happened to me in all that time. I can't believe I'm just that lucky. I've been told by others that I have a calming presence, too. I'm hoping all that will be useful to me when I have to give someone a speeding ticket, or whatever.

I think I generally have ok leadership skills, I'm just not always comfortable wielding them. A lot of the time, with friends and family, I'm happy to go along for the ride, but I get the punk kids at work to actually do their job, when others can't, so I guess that's saying something. I do really well when I know what the rules are and what I can and cannot do in a situation, as long as my training is good, and have a partner who's willing to back me up, I think I could actually be good at this job. And I can bullshit when I need to, to a point. I've learned that, no matter what you do, do it with confidence, and people won't question you.

As for scale jumping, it's weekly, every Monday morning. We'll have to see what happens tomorrow when I get up.....

I hope you don't feel like I'm pushing too hard. Lol. :tongue: I love digging out old favorites from time to time. I read Stephen King's The Stand about once a year. I'd never really read any space operas before Peter F. Hamilton but I had a couple of friends recommend him to me and I wanted something different to read (I had been on a major fantasy kick before that).

Oh no!! When my back hurts a heating pad seems to help (though I have no idea what's wrong with your back, obviously) but I sincerely hope you feel better. Back pain is not fun!

I have days when I feel super lazy and don't want to enter stuff. Sometimes I find something that is close and call it good enough. Other times I jot down what I ate on a piece of paper and then enter it the next day when I feel more like it.

Maybe putting a sticky not somewhere that you would see it everyday would help you remember to do grip work?

You're not pushing too hard, I'm always happy to try new authors, but sometimes I'm just in the mood for old favourites. I have a list on my phone of authors to try, and his name is now on there, but it could be some time before I get there...

I thought about a heating pad, but I usually find they're not hot enough. I had a nice hot shower and copious amounts of drugs before bed last night, and am feeling better today. Still taking the day off, but I think I'll be good by tomorrow. My sister suggested setting an alarm for the grip work, which is a great idea, except that I never remember to set the alarm... I'll figure it out eventually, sometimes I just need to get annoyed enough at myself for forgetting that I make a point of getting off my arse and doing something about it...

You're not pushing too hard, I'm always happy to try new authors, but sometimes I'm just in the mood for old favourites. I have a list on my phone of authors to try, and his name is now on there, but it could be some time before I get there...

I thought about a heating pad, but I usually find they're not hot enough. I had a nice hot shower and copious amounts of drugs before bed last night, and am feeling better today. Still taking the day off, but I think I'll be good by tomorrow. My sister suggested setting an alarm for the grip work, which is a great idea, except that I never remember to set the alarm... I'll figure it out eventually, sometimes I just need to get annoyed enough at myself for forgetting that I make a point of getting off my arse and doing something about it...

Haha. Yeah. I have about 70 books on my to-read list which is probably about a year and a half of reading judging by the past couple years. The problem is I seem to add to it faster than I take things off of it...

What kind of heating pad have you used? I have one that has what I think are corn kernals in it and you heat it up in the microwave for about 2 min. And you could heat it up for longer if you wanted but at 2 min, most of the time its just on the edge of almost burning me (and I have a high tolerance for heat, I will wash my hands in water that other people yelp if they touch, lol) Hot showers do help too though.

Welp, I forgot to weigh myself again right away. I remembered after a bit, but had had some water and coffee by that time. The number is 176.6, which is 5 lb heavier than last time.

Factors that could go into this: Last time I was feeling extra dehydrated. Last time I'd put nothing into my stomach yet. I had a couple of days last week where I ate poorly. I'm probably retaining a bit of water at the moment (woo hormones!).

I'll try to remember to weigh myself first thing tomorrow. Maybe this is how it'll go and I'll really just weigh myself on Tuesdays instead of Mondays.

An unrelated note: I'm not feeling super grumpy yet, as I have on past Mondays. We'll see how it goes for the rest of the day, but hopefully my revelation last week about my grumpy Mondays will help me deal with it better.

Week One: Let Me Sum Up

Not bad, but not great, which is what I was expecting for week one.

Beep goal - Didn't run the beep test this week due to inclement weather and a sore back. I did my other two runs, however, and had a great time for my longer route. Next week will be more of the same, and hopefully the weather will be nice enough for a running the test next weekend.

Stretching goal - not good. I have done a bit of stretching here and there, but not consistently. I've gotten badly out of the habit and it's proving hard to get back on the wagon. Maybe the mobility mini-challenge will help me with this...

Grip goal - nada. I have not been able to remember to do this at all. I do work on it when I'm at the climbing gym, but have yet to remember to do any GTG work at home. Gotta be more mindful of this, I dunno why this one's so hard.

Tracking goal - going ok. I was off to a great start, but the last few days I've eaten some real food that is difficult to enter into MFP piece by piece, and I haven't been able to make myself enter the recipes in either. Just gotta make myself do this, I guess. I eventually remembered to weigh myself last week and this week, but neither time was it at the intended time.

Find(make) time goal - not bad. I've been successful at no tv/computer after work/midnight, and after the first couple of nights it's become pretty easy. I've also been getting to sleep earlier, and surprisingly enough, getting up close to my alarm time (I've decided one snooze is acceptable, but no more than that, and I don't even use one snooze every morning). This has translated to slightly better timing on my workouts, so I'm not as rushed to get them done when I work at night. It hasn't really led to me doing more of all the other things I'd like to be doing, but that's less about not having time than it is about being lazy. So step 1 (make time) is going well. Step 2 (use time) is not going well... This week I have plans to get my bike in and get a haircut. And I'm bound and determined to get back on the stretching wagon.

My bike is officially in the shop. Being spring, they're rather busy, and I won't get it back for probably a week. Which I was expecting. They're going to do a quick assessment of its fit, since when I was riding it before it resulted in a very sore knee. They think it's likely a seat position issue and easily fixed, as did I after talking to a few bikers. Riding to work starts as soon as I get my bike back, weather permitting.

My hair is also officially cut. Figured it was a good idea to do it before I got my eyes done, so I didn't run the risk of getting a little bit of hair in my newly zapped eyes.

Added some stuff to the list of things I want to do with my new found (made) time (basic car maintenance, if I can figure it out).

Keep at it girl!  This challenge sounds like you're tackling some deep habits, so pat yourself on the back for every forward step:)

Thought-get a gripping ball for the grip portion of your challenge.  You can squeeze the crap out of it on Mondays when you're practicing your leadership skills with the double digit IQ crowd at work...:)  Looking to see you burst into a frenzy of success in week two:O

I actually like the punk kids at work, they remind me of me when I was their age. Maybe that's why I relate to them so well and they're willing to work for me, I was one of them 15 years ago. It's the lifers who bother me, and not even all of them, just the whiney ones. There was a grip ball kickin' around at one point at work, I used to squeeze it a lot, but it's gone missing... And thanks, turns out I'm doomed to have cranky Mondays, so I needed a bit of a boost...

Today's Workout:

Ran 2k in 11:28. Shitty time, and it felt shitty while I was going too. I had to walk up both hills, and had no motivation to push it on the downhills or flats. My breathing was really ragged, I don't know if that was because I started off too hard and couldn't sustain it, or if it was just a bad day.

I'm currently trying and failing to not let it get me down. This is what happened in my first challenge, I had a couple of really good runs, followed by some really crappy ones, and then it all fell apart. So I'm having another grumpy Monday now, even though I started out really positive. I still have a couple of hours 'til I have to go to work, maybe I can turn it around somehow...

On the plus side, I think I figured out where my ankle mobility issues are and maybe even a way to work on it. I have a feeling this could be the root of a few of my aches and pains, or at least a contributing factor, as it leads to some really wonky leg alignment issues in certain positions. The current mini-challenge seems to have come along at just the right time.

I also successfully stretched, and will go do some grip work directly after posting this since I'm thinking of it. Maybe I'll remember when I get home tonight after work too, and if I can find something to support me at work, maybe get one more in then too.

My back is still sore, though now it's more my side than my back, and it's much better than it was on Saturday. I hurts when I lean to the side, as if I were stretching my obliques, and a bit if I twist in the right (wrong) way, but not at all to bend backwards or forwards. I have no idea what I did to it, but my whole right side is tight right from my neck down to my hip. I'm going to try some light stretching even if it's painful, see if I can work it out. I'll have to play it by ear when I climb tomorrow, I want to push it but not too hard. I'm also thinking again about a chiropractor. I just wish I had some benefits at work to just pay for a bit of it, then it'd be a no-brainer...

We all fall.  Not everyone gets back up.  Keep getting back up.  It doesn't have to be pretty, it just has to be done.  Get back up enough and it will be pretty then.  Stay with it.  Every day.  You can do this.

Woke up grumpy, but climbing cheered me up a bit. Back felt fine while climbing and through all my post-climbing exercises, which is good. It's still a bit sore, but better than it was.

Today's Workout:

Climbed ~45 minutes. Usual warmup and cool down, plus some messing around on the rings a bit. I think I'd really like a set of these, but alas, have nowhere to hang them. Someday...

After climbing, did 3 sets of: 5 coffee table pushups, 5 chair pistols (per leg), 5 bannister close-arm pushups, 5 slidey plank things. The pistols felt easier, I probably could have done one more per set, maybe more. Same goes for the slidey plank things. Coffee table pushups were slightly less hard, bannister ones were slightly more hard. I think I like these exercises for after climbing. I might mess around with some handstands too, though I won't have time today if I actually want to stretch.

Eating salad now, then a quick stretch before work. I'll try to remember to do some grip work before I leave...

A thing I decided:

I'm getting serious about cutting. Enough with the tracking and seeing what happens. I'm officially shooting for at or below my calorie amount every day, special occasions excepted (specifically A Taste for Life tomorrow night... I absolutely refuse to go to a burger place and order a salad, but I will get salad instead of fries). I have not yet decided an ultimate goal for this, I'll have to think about it a bit.

Note: no spreadsheets will be marked up in the course of this cut.

Have you ever tried spine rotations? They're not a messed up as they sound. And they've helped me quite a bit.

Stand with feet about shoulder width apart, elbows sticking straight out with palms down in front of chest, and twist upper body back and forth gently for a minute or so.

I find it REALLY helps loosen up my back and is just an all around exercise to make you feel awesome.

Have you ever tried spine rotations? They're not a messed up as they sound. And they've helped me quite a bit.

Stand with feet about shoulder width apart, elbows sticking straight out with palms down in front of chest, and twist upper body back and forth gently for a minute or so.

I find it REALLY helps loosen up my back and is just an all around exercise to make you feel awesome.

Thanks for the suggestion! I have not tried those, at least not in any formal sense, I'm sure I've done something similar at some point in my life. I have hurt myself with twisting exercises in the past, though not that one specifically, but this sounds much gentler than the one I hurt myself with. I'll have to add it in to my stretching routine and see how it goes, my back/shouders/neck have always been a problem for me...

Good workout today:) Glad you're doing "determined". Cutting is a good goal with the spring coming on.

Thanks. Now that I've decided this, I'm feeling a bit like 'Now what do I do?' except I'm pretty much doing what I need to do already. I think this will help me be a bit more dedicated to my calorie tracking too, and make me put in recipes and such rather than just guessing, since it actually matters now. I've already lost about 10 lbs in 3 months without really trying, so apparently I can do it. Now I'm just going to do it consciously.

Potential down side: there will come a point where I can no longer get away with wearing the clothes I currently own (I'm already getting there with some of my pants) and I definitely do not have money for a new wardrobe. I guess I'll just have to go piecemeal with the shopping, and try not to get my new clothes too dirty so I can wear them for weeks on end... Step one: get a Chaossian shirt, that's definitely worth it (it's on my to-do list today, I'll post pictures when it's acquired).

You might just have to start altering your own clothes if they get too big, you could definitely have some fun then!  Haha Or just buy piece by piece as you go.  It's always nice to have new things that fit your new body.

You might just have to start altering your own clothes if they get too big, you could definitely have some fun then!  Haha Or just buy piece by piece as you go.  It's always nice to have new things that fit your new body.

I can't sew a stich, but I could probably get some of my clothes that I really like taken in a bit. For now it's just my pants, and putting on a belt is workable, not too much bunching that I can't hide it with my t-shirt. I'll definitely need some new shorts for the summer, though, the ones I own were too big for me last summer, there's no way I'll get away with them this summer. On the plus side, I'll probably fit into my board shorts this summer, yay for no more button-popping at the beach!

Today's Workout:

Ran 2k in 10:49. Not the greatest time, but much better than last time. More importantly, I conquered both hills again, and didn't walk once. I probably could have pushed it a bit more on the downhills, though I did manage to push it a bit on the last flat stretch. It's rainy and cold today, so I opted for the short route because I didn't really want to go in the first place. I can't decide if this is a valid strategy for overcoming my dislike of running when the weather's bad and getting out and doing something, or if it's a secret rationalization of slacking off because I dislike running. I guess, either way, 2k is better than 0k...

I'm going climbing again today, I'm curious about how my body will react to climbing 2 days in a row, and they set a new problem yesterday that I want to try out. I'll probably just keep it short, and do more messing around with different holds and the rings again. If my body responds well I might try to up my climbing sessions per week, I've been going twice per week so far and am finding myself getting the itch to go more often. 3x is definitely doable, and 4x desirable but would probably mean going 2 days in a row a lot of the time.

Also on my to-do list: get my Chaossian t-shirt made, and look at shorts options at the store. Dinner tonight will be burgers (not really plural), current determination to cut be damned! It's for a good cause, so I don't really have a choice. Or something.....

Climbing: done. Holy crap, my arms!!! Messing with the rings was hard! But it feels good.

T-shirt: acquired. I'll wash it tonight, get the words put on tomorrow.

Shorts: perused. Nothing inspiring. I didn't try anything on, but there's enough selection that I should be able to find something inoffensive. I hate shorts...

Oh, I totally hear you on the clothes shopping thing. I hate having to get new clothes - to the point that I've made it through the entire winter with 3 pairs of pants that fit me (black, corduroy, jeans), because I just didn't want to deal with going shopping, and 3 pairs turns out to be just barely sufficient. Now I'm having to find some khakis to replace the corduroys since we're getting into warmer weather. Bleh. And shorts are definitely an issue, particularly since I like longish ones with lots of pockets, but the manufacturers seem to think women only want tiny pockets. Nope, I want to be able to fit my phone in there. And my wallet. And maybe a snack. Anyway - hope the clothing acquisition goes well!

Oh, I totally hear you on the clothes shopping thing. I hate having to get new clothes - to the point that I've made it through the entire winter with 3 pairs of pants that fit me (black, corduroy, jeans), because I just didn't want to deal with going shopping, and 3 pairs turns out to be just barely sufficient. Now I'm having to find some khakis to replace the corduroys since we're getting into warmer weather. Bleh. And shorts are definitely an issue, particularly since I like longish ones with lots of pockets, but the manufacturers seem to think women only want tiny pockets. Nope, I want to be able to fit my phone in there. And my wallet. And maybe a snack. Anyway - hope the clothing acquisition goes well!

That's my exact problem with shorts. I usually buy men's short/pants because I just don't like the cut of women's short/pants, nor the pocket sizes. I'm absolutely not a purse person, so if it doesn't fit into a pocket, it's probably not coming along (I do have a shoulder bag, but it's mostly for my water bottle and things I buy). I can get away with men's jeans, but men's shorts clearly don't fit my non-man frame as well as they should, hence my dislike of them. I would wear pants all the time if I could, but I also hate being hot, so have no choice but to go with shorts quite early in the year.

I do have some women's pants from a hiking store that I like a lot, and actually might fit into now, but they're bloody expensive, so I can't really afford to populate my wardrobe with multiple pairs. I have 2 pairs of jeans that I wear all the time, and and that's it for my pants collection (well, I have a couple of pairs of kahaki-type pants, but I don't wear them often). My wardrobe is ridiculously small, it doesn't even fill up a regular sized closet, and the things I regularly wear out of it is a much smaller subset thereof. I've found a cheap store (Old Navy) that sells jeans that I like well enough, so when one pair wears out I just replace it with the exact same pair.

There's a show here in Canada, I'm assuming it's also in the States since most of the people on it are American, called What Not to Wear. I want to go on that show so badly, mostly because I'd love to 'dress up' on a regular basis but just can't find, let alone afford, clothing that fits in to my image of what I want to look like, and can't justify spending money on a few pieces that only sort of go together. Shopping, especially for 'nice' clothes, can be very stressful for me, it's one of very few things that can make me lose my temper.

Can't decide what I want to do today. It's a nice day, so I'd like to get out, but I don't know if I'm up for running 2 days in a row (I could probably handle it, but I definitely don't want to). I'd love to climb again, but I think 3 days in a row is a bit much for my arms, I can feel it in my elbows and wrists a bit today, so a day off of that is probably the right choice.

I'll probably convince myself to go for a run, and I think I'll get out and do some geocaching today, I have some good ideas if I can find the right spot and gather the right equipment. At the very least I'll go scout out some locations, just to get out in the sun, and maybe climb a few trees just to satisfy my apparent need to get off the ground...

Also, I don't think eating a burger last night put me over my calorie amount. I had to guess, since the place we went to didn't have any available nutritional information, but I chose an elk patty instead of beef and a side salad instead of fries, and had over 1000 calories to spend on dinner due to my good choices throughout the day, so I think I kept it under by quite a bit.