• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

obax

obax Keeps on Truckin'

If you hate being hot, isn't fitness kinda not the route you wanna take ;) lol

Ha, yes indeed. I'm dreading running in the summer (my least favourite of all the seasons), I'll probably be one of those crazy midnight runners. I really become a night dweller in the summer, I just can't handle it when the sun's up. I'm hoping some day to be in good enough shape that I'm comfortable running around in just a sports bra, sans shirt, I've always been jealous of mens' ability to just whip off their shirts when it's hot and not get a second look by society. I've got a bit too much pudge for that at the moment, though...

I so agree! It can be very hot at the bouldering center, so 80% of the men are half naked while climbing ( not a horrible sight, mind you :P ) while I'm dying with my T-shirt and short. I will definitely offer myself a nice small top when my waistline will have receded to a better measurment >_<

It's technically legal for me to walk around without a shirt or a bra, at least in my city, but society still frowns at that. Not to mention I have nowhere near the confidence to walk around like that, though I'm often without a shirt when I'm home alone and it's 40 degrees Celsius, plus humidity...

Backing up to the conversation on men's wear....  I went looking for a pair of running pants the other night, I only have 2 pairs of sweats that I use at the moment.  I didn't want to spend $80+ on a fancy pair of pants so I went to some cheaper stores.  All the women's "sweat" pants and other workout gear was all tight tight pants with no pockets!  I was sooo angry that I couldn't find anything that didn't make my butt look like it was eating the pants.  I finally went to the men's section at Winners and found a nice pair of sweats that were almost perfect!  Good deep pockets, drawstring, slim fit but still baggy, they were so comfy.  The only thing I will have to do is hem them as they are a wee bit long. 

I know how it goes with trying to find "gear" that doesn't make me look terrible.  I definitely don't have to balls...in this case boobs(?)...to walk around with out a shirt.  That's a NO!

Good luck with your run or what ever you decide to do!

Well, the nice day turned into a windy rainy day quite quickly. I did get a little geocaching in while it was sunny, and got my t-shirt made. I've got a good idea for a new geocache to hide, but it'll take a little doing to make a good container. I'll have to look around for something appropriate to buy, I don't think I have the skills or the tools to make it myself (it would involve making a hole in a rock without cracking it, but I might locate a rock, a chisel and a hammer and see what I can do). I just have no idea how expensive those fake rocks for hiding keys are, or even where to find them (garden centre? maybe...)

My plantar fasciitis is acting up something fierce too, so I'm taking an extra day off. Climbing tomorrow after volunteering, running the beep test on Saturday, it's finally supposed to be decent weather on a weekend...

The t-shirt declares my loyalty to the Chaossin Heresy, led (more or less) by Croman Red. Take a gander at Aeryn's thread for the whole story. It's really just me being silly 'cause I can.

The t-shirt declares my loyalty to the Chaossin Heresy, led (more or less) by Croman Red. Take a gander at Aeryn's thread for the whole story. It's really just me being silly 'cause I can.

Must have a picture of that. I should probably make one for myself too.

I think a plastic fake rock would work. We did see one one time that was a real rock, with a hole drilled for the cache. Not sure how they did it though. Someone had also taken a small stump and drilled a hole in it and put the cache in it, which was very cool. And there was one that was in a plastic owl in a hole in a tree. People can be super creative with their caches

Must have a picture of that. I should probably make one for myself too.

I think a plastic fake rock would work. We did see one one time that was a real rock, with a hole drilled for the cache. Not sure how they did it though. Someone had also taken a small stump and drilled a hole in it and put the cache in it, which was very cool. And there was one that was in a plastic owl in a hole in a tree. People can be super creative with their caches

I really like the idea of making my own caches, rather than buying a ready-made container. Admittedly, I've so far used pill bottles and a film canister, but I consider recycling what would otherwise be thrown out to be a form of making my own. I will definitely experiment with making holes in rocks. I know you can get drill bits for that sort of thing, and may look into that as well if the chisel goes badly.

As for a picture of the t-shirt, take a look at Croman Red's thread. It's a wee one, but it's there. I tried to post it here, but apparently I can't, it's too big, even though it was fine to post on Croman's thread? I don't know what the picture posting rules are around here....

Neat shirt!

P.s. make sure you protect your fingers from run away chisels and hammers!!!  OUCH!

And my eyes, I doubt they'll zap me if there's a stone chip in there.....

It's technically legal for me to walk around without a shirt or a bra, at least in my city, but society still frowns at that. Not to mention I have nowhere near the confidence to walk around like that, though I'm often without a shirt when I'm home alone and it's 40 degrees Celsius, plus humidity...

Thats' it, I'm moving to Toronto:)

Thats' it, I'm moving to Toronto:)

I don't live IN Toronto. I live NEAR Toronto, in a city which apparently likes boobies (actually, I think it's legal now it all of Ontario, but don't quote me on that. I guess that's something I'll have to learn once I'm a cop, if I can stop starring long enough to arrest (or not) any topless ladies wandering around).

I wonder if post #88 in Challenge #3 is a record for devolving into boobie talk or not...

I just hope that the bare booby movement goes viral:)  I'm thinking it would be the beginning of world peace.  I don't think I could focus on killing another guy when we could both be drinking beer and watching the women walk by:)  Which reminds me, today's Chaossin health alert:  Tabulation, is not only a sin, will make you go blind too:)

Today's Workout:

Climbed, not sure how long. I was really feelin' it when I got there, and then saw that half the population of the city was in the gym, and immediately I went 'Ugh!'. Also, one ring was missing, which made it a little hard to mess around on them... I think my problems with not being able to progress past a few easy-level (yellow) problems is equal parts lack of strength and lack of confidence, with maybe just a tad of lack of technique thrown in there for good measure. There was one kid there, who I've seen there before, trying hard to encourage me, it was cute and actually kinda worked, despite the fact he was the main monkey child who led to the first thing I learned tonight (see below).

Things I Learned Tonight:

1) Monkey children make me feel inadequate

2) SERIOUS climbers make me feel intimidated and self-conscious

3) Snuggling/googly-eyed young-lover climbers make me feel like I'm intruding

4) I'd rather climb in the day, even if it means never meeting a potential kindred spirit who's also lacking a belay person

Gonna snack on some random stuff, and probably blow my calorie amount for the day (I made some poor choices this morning, and once it's in your belly, there's no going back), then do my usual post-climbing workout stuff. Tomorrow I will run the beep test, and if the playground is empty maybe play around on it for a bit (it probably won't be, it's supposed to finally be nice on a weekend, and that always brings out more monkey children). Also, my bike is ready, so I'll pick that up and time the ride to work, and maybe bike to work tomorrow night, yay (assuming I can locate both my bike lock, and the key that opens it...)

I like hanging with the monkey children.  They remind me of me when I was a cub.  They also remind me that the wall is there for me to have fun on.  I'll have to remember to see if there's a JR climbing club that needs adult supervision when I get back to the States.  In fact, you could probably go this route and win on multiple fronts.  Lots of climbing partners and some social do-gooding for your COP resume.

I like the "I climb, therefore I am" crowd.  The advanced ones are poetry in motion to watch.  The intense ones make me laugh with their "war" faces.

The doe-eyed couple climbers make me wish I'd invested in a cheap hotel next door to the gym with hourly rates:)

Have you asked your gym workers about a local climbing club that meets there?  A quick way to see if there's someone suitable to climb with once in awhile without all the madness.  Have you thought about getting a part time job there for reduced rates and lots of contacts?  A friend of mine did this, and while she never went on to climb competitively she ended up with a core like iron and could flow up that wall.

I have thought about a job there, but I've never seen any indication they're hiring (yes, I know I could ask), and I also heard them discussing someone and it sounded as if they were considering this person as an employee and they were pretty focused on his/her climbing experience/background, of which I have very little (yes, I know this could be for a specific expert-type job and not just the kid who mans the desk). That said, I'm keeping it in the back of my head and keeping my ears/eyes open.

As for the climbing club, I have no idea, but large groups of people I don't know well are terrifying to me, especially when it's a group that is only a group because of a specific skill or interest that I have little knowledge on. There is no way I would ever make myself break into a conversation in a situation like that. 

I do like watching the highly skilled climbers, but when it's me, a bunch of monkey children showing me up, and the skilled climbers, the inadequacy combines with the intimidation and self-consciousness and I lose my desire to be there. And actually if it was just the monkey children it wouldn't be so bad, but their parents all mill about taking video on their phones of their child touching the ceiling and get in my way, and then look at me like I have 2 heads when I say excuse me in order to access the problem I want. I should just fall on one of them, that'd get them out of my way...

Speaking of do-gooding, I really need to start looking into volunteer options to pad my resume. Something with people would probably be good, but also way over my head. Yay for more new things..... (nervous grin...)

You can do all of the above.  Yes, it is difficult going that far out of your comfort zone but the worst that can happen is a little social awkwardness, and even that won't be as bad as breaking wind loudly in church:)  Which you should try at least once in your life, I know I want to.  But it will be in a church where no one knows me...

My brother has already topped the breaking wind in church, when we were kids and my mom was attempting to instill some sort of religiosity in us, we were all sitting in church not paying attention during a very solemn sermon, and right when the priest paused and we were all supposed to be thinking deep thoughts about what he'd just said, my brother, who was playing with the hymn book, slammed it shut so hard it echoed in the church. It was priceless timing, and my mom was torn between yelling at him quietly and shushing the other children, who were all giggling like crazy people.

I think it was about then that my mother decided she was ok with raising a bunch of godless heathens, and in that she was successful...

Last time I went climbing there was a girl like that. She hardly seemed human, I'm not going to lie when I was it was intimidating. I saw her right after I finished a problem that was super tough (I don't know what level it was, there seems to be no ryme or reason to how the organize stuff). But I was feeling like superman, and then this girl gets on the wall and just Spider-Woman's her way up, doing all kinds of impossible looking things and making it seem like child's play. I felt like less of a man. Lol.

Yeah, when I got there last night, there was a woman in the little workout area practicing climbing up using her arms only and gripping by her finger tips. I've put my fingertips on the same board thing, and there's no way I could even lean against it with my fingertips supporting me. She zipped up it like it was no big deal. And the kids were climbing the problem that I cannot for the life of me get to the top of, without even using their legs. Ah well, I guess I just have to keep on truckin', I'll get there(ish) eventually.

When I went climbing there was a group of  young teens (12-14) who were in a club who were climbing. They were in a seperate harder section so weren't in our way. But man they were amazing. Luckily for me, it doesn't intimadate me, I know I'm terrified when climbing, so I'm happy with myself just for trying. Plus everyone at the gym was super nice. I really wish we had the money to join

No beep test, the iPod was out of juice and I didn't get my shit in order soon enough to wait for it to charge. Will run it tomorrow.

Instead, I had another shitty run. 2k in 10:59. My legs were tight and tired, more so than usual, no idea why, and I walked twice, once before I even hit the first hill. Had a stitch in my side within about 10 seconds and it didn't go away for the whole run. I'm irritated at myself now, and I was in a pretty decent mood before. I think the heat has something to do with it, it's not hot but it's definitely warm, I dunno how I'm going to be able to keep this up through the summer. I want winter back...

I've been having troubles with runners cramp as well. So far the only thing I've found that helps is running with my vest on. Somehow the restriction, and having to breathe against it makes it less severe. Total bummer though when your body decides to crap out on you.