• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

obax

obax Keeps on Truckin'

Belated weigh-in update:

I forgot again, but remembered after only a bit of coffee. 172.6lbs. I think the initial 171.whatever was probably a bit low, I was pretty dehydrated that morning, more than usual, but 172 is still nice to see. It definitely didn't help last night when I came home from work and ate some iced cream, though I think I still kept it under my calorie amount, barely...

Wouldn't the climbing people be surprised if I came running into the gym and started tearing at the walls with my teeth? My dentist would probably be surprised too...

(Attacking things with teeth is what my mind conjures up any time someone says the word 'savage'...)

OK, I'll rephrase that to read "attack it with a single minded intensity that shall serve to inspire all who witness it to exclaim mightily, boasting of your prowess!"  Save your teeth for carnivorous moments:)

I feel like we need to come up with an anagram for "savage" lol.

Savage - Seriously And Vigorously Achieving Great Eventualities. How's that?

Good times climbing - have you decided on running today or climbing?

I decided to do the post-climbing workout that I did not do yesterday. It's still post-climbing, it's just more post than usual... I increased the chair pistol reps to 6 and the slidey plank things to 10, and still did 3 sets of everything.

Tomorrow I will run and probably climb. Thursday is surgery day.

I read through some of the paperwork I was given way back when I had my first consultation that I had at first neglected and then forgotten about. Turns out the information package has a tonne of information in it, whoda thunk? I now know the following things:

1. No tv, reading or computer for 24 hours (gonna miss my team's first playoff game, wah! I'll probably just put it on and listen...). I'm gonna be hella bored on Thursday, that's for sure. Hopefully I can sleep a lot...

2. No sports/exercising/weights for 1 week. That's not too bad, I suppose. On the plus side I don't have to run!! Walking is fine, so I will get to join Wolverine (in spirit) for his daily walks for 1 week's time. Maybe I'll take the opportunity to do some geocaching, assuming my vision's ok, though I'll have to find some safety glasses if I'm going to be rooting around in any bushes. Safety glasses might just be a good idea either way, if you get the right kind you can wear them and not look like a doofus...

3. I think I'll be ok to entertain my sister who will be waiting for a long time in a line-up for tickets to a music festival in the summer we always go to. I might not be able to wait with her the whole time, but I can at least relieve her to go do her Weight Watcher weigh-in and keep her entertained for a while (this will be confirmed when I talk to them tomorrow, strangely they didn't plan for this particular eventuality in their info package. Weird.). This is assuming I can work up the nerve to wear the silly glasses in public... Maybe I'll use a nice deep Assassin's hood to keep my silly glasses hidden.

4. If all goes as planned, I'll be back to work without trouble and without silly glasses on Monday, and I'll be ready to get back to my challenge stuff on the following Thursday. 

Rooting for you kiddo:)  My wife went through a similar surgery, there were some hassles, but overall it was smooth sailing.  Afterwards she was better than 20/20 and pointing out everything that she couldn't see before.  I think you will like this a lot.

Acklands Granger has Harley Davidson safety glasses for about $15. They're pretty sharp looking, and they come in a variety of styles. And even without the surgery, it's a good idea to protect your eyes from UV radiation anyway. Especially in winter. Or summer. Best of luck with the surgery :)

Rooting for you kiddo:)  My wife went through a similar surgery, there were some hassles, but overall it was smooth sailing.  Afterwards she was better than 20/20 and pointing out everything that she couldn't see before.  I think you will like this a lot.

Thanks! Even though I'm nervous under it all, I rationally know there's no real reason why it should go badly. The doctor described me as the perfect candidate for this surgery, and I have to say, I'm really looking forward to not having to push my glasses up my nose every time I get a little warm... I'm mostly concerned I might take the shield thingys I have to wear at night off and do something to my eyes while I'm sleeping, I've been known to disrobe at night without waking up (not completely, usually when I wear a pull-over hoodie to bed and get hot in the night). Maybe I'll use duct tape instead of the medical tape they give me to attach time instead.

Acklands Granger has Harley Davidson safety glasses for about $15. They're pretty sharp looking, and they come in a variety of styles. And even without the surgery, it's a good idea to protect your eyes from UV radiation anyway. Especially in winter. Or summer. Best of luck with the surgery :)

Thanks! I have no idea what Acklands Granger is, but I'm planning to take some trips to the various hardware stores/Canadian tire to look for safety glasses with UV protection. I do have regular sunglasses that I'm happy I'll be able to wear more often (they're not prescription, so I couldn't wear them without contacts), but I have a feeling they'll want something with a bit more all-around eye protection (ie. granny glasses). Or I can just suck it up and proudly wear my granny glasses, and just get all up in the grill of whoever looks at me funny (one person I talked to who's had this done said the glasses weren't actually that bad).

Savage - Seriously And Vigorously Achieving Great Eventualities. How's that?

Heh, I love it, I have amended my race in my signature appropriately.

(I hope you don't mind me stealing it, 'cuz I kinda already did...)

Acklands is a fairly common industrial supply store. And you'll never find anything that looks good at crappy tire (trust me, I've tried) and all safety glasses protect from UV radiation, even the clear lenses. Unless your worried about needing impact resistance, I can't see why you would need safety glasses. Most (if not all) sunglasses protect from UV radiation as well, I can't imagine you'd need anything else.

Also, Savage: Seriously And Vigorously Achieving Great Eventualities = AWESOME :D

Heh, I love it, I have amended my race in my signature appropriately.

(I hope you don't mind me stealing it, 'cuz I kinda already did...)

Hah, steal away, I made it up just for you anyway!

Hah, steal away, I made it up just for you anyway!

Why thank you, m'lady. (Jeeze, put a cape on me and I turn all polite...)

Acklands is a fairly common industrial supply store. And you'll never find anything that looks good at crappy tire (trust me, I've tried) and all safety glasses protect from UV radiation, even the clear lenses. Unless your worried about needing impact resistance, I can't see why you would need safety glasses. Most (if not all) sunglasses protect from UV radiation as well, I can't imagine you'd need anything else.

Also, Savage: Seriously And Vigorously Achieving Great Eventualities = AWESOME :D

I mentioned them half-jokingly, since geocaching often involves sticking your face into bushes and trees and other sharp pointy places, and the last thing I want to do is poke myself in the eye once my vision has settled down. Regular sunglasses don't do much for me in that regard, I've almost stabbed my eye out many times while wearing glasses, so a pair of the safety glasses that kinda wrap around your face would be helpful. I actually think my dad has a pair lying around I could use, but if I saw a cheap pair at Canadian Tire, I'd probably add it to my 'Might One Day Be Useful To Own' kit, along with a variety of work gloves and hand tools. They'd go nicely with my 'I'd Like To Learn Woodworking One Day' life goal.

Alright, so. I'm no longer subconsciously nervous about all this. I've apparently moved on to full-on conscious fear, complete with flight-or-fight response. My nervous system has chosen to go with 'flight', a slight minority of my neurons are saying 'What the hell are you doing, cancel the appointment, you're crazy!' Fortunately a slight majority is saying 'Don't be stupid, you'll be fine'. Good thing my brain is a democracy and only needs 50% +1 to make a decision...

I'm not so much scared of the procedure as I am scared that I'm going to do something to screw it up, such as not being able to not blink during the scans they did this morning. I expressed my concerns, and the doctor assures me it's all good, so I have no choice but to believe him. I know, rationally, that this fear is probably unfounded, but I'll be chewing on my nails like crazy all day long, I'm sure...

I'm still going to go ahead with the beep test later today, but I'm telling myself right now that I'm not going to be upset if I have a poor result, because I most likely will. I may or may not go climbing, I feel like clinging to walls 15 feet off the ground while distracted is not the wisest idea, but we'll see if I can calm myself down at all. I might just go and play around with some holds and such for a bit, maybe it'll be a good distraction from my distraction.

Bah. I can't wait for this to be over with.

Fear is not allowed to dominate you.  You will go through with this experience.  You will benefit from it.  When you feel panic approach, you will breath deeply and own it.  You are equal to this task.  Climbing is a good idea.  Something that intense will focus you, and that will have a calming effect.  You are a grown woman.  You are strong.  You are smart.  Be determined, and you will make this fear you toy.

You're like my own personal Yoda... I don't think I'll carry you around in a backpack, though, I hope you're ok with that. You can ride in a little red wagon pulled by the St. Bernard, if you like.

I'm calmer now that I've distracted my mind a bit with a variety of things, and spelling it all out in detail helps too. The dogs are doing a good job of distracting me. I think I will climb, now that I'm calmer I think I can focus my nervousness instead of letting it get the better of me. I just can't let myself sit around and do nothing, that's when my brain really gets itself wound up, that's what happened when I was sitting in the waiting room this morning, and then on the drive home. Gonna get me some sister time tonight too, which always makes me feel better.

I was actually a little surprised at the strength of my reaction, I'm normally very calm in all situations, and my nerves rarely get the better of me and when they do I can usually talk myself down quite easily. I think it's more than just the surgery, it's the whole process, this is a huge step towards me becoming a cop, and it ups the pressure I put on myself, because now I've done this thing that's expensive and bit drastic, and what if it doesn't work out the way I want? It makes me more determined, but also more pressured to succeed. Pros and cons, I suppose. When I first decided that I was indeed going to zap my eyes, I had an uptick in performance, just from the 'Jesus, I better do this thing now' aspect of it. Maybe that'll happen again, if I can sustain it for the week that I have to take off. Shit just got a bit more real, and that's a sort of scary, sort of exciting thing.

Holy. This 'life' thing is hard. Who knew?

Welcome to the world:)  Life has risk, risk has consequences.  You have become a surfer on the seas of fate.  Sometimes you ride the wave, sometimes the wave rides you.  Its a good thing.

Embracing the risk of life is embracing madness.  Really, what rational human would take such a risk?  None, but we take the risk because the risk makes every sensation brilliant and life worth living.  It is irrational.  "Up the Heresy!"

Hopefully you are off climbing by now. Keep yourself busy today. But after that this is so going to be awesome. SO much closer to your life goal. I am so excited for the day you announce that you have passed all the tests and are a police officer! You are doing it, making your life happen-fantastic.

In other news, I don't wear glasses for geocaching. But I need to get me some safety glasses anyway. I can't tell you how many times I've poked myself in my eye! My hubby doesn't have near the issue I do with it. I don't know, I'm just looking for the cache,sticking my head near some log, and whack a branch comes out of nowhere and stabs me :redface-new:  :pirate:

Hopefully you are off climbing by now. Keep yourself busy today. But after that this is so going to be awesome. SO much closer to your life goal. I am so excited for the day you announce that you have passed all the tests and are a police officer! You are doing it, making your life happen-fantastic.

In other news, I don't wear glasses for geocaching. But I need to get me some safety glasses anyway. I can't tell you how many times I've poked myself in my eye! My hubby doesn't have near the issue I do with it. I don't know, I'm just looking for the cache,sticking my head near some log, and whack a branch comes out of nowhere and stabs me :redface-new:  :pirate:

Thanks! I'm feeling much more zen about it now, I've successfully kept myself busy so far. Trying to sleep tonight may be another story, but I'll tackle that when I get there...

And that's exactly what I mean about branches and geocaching. My sister can't figure out how I've almost lost an eye so many times, but I have. I'll just be standing there peering down at the map on my phone and all of sudden *jab* there's a twig in my eye and I didn't even move. I think the trees are out to get me... Or the wind, one or the other...

Went climbing and it was good. They had some Bob Marley and K'naan on and that was nice and relaxing, I went into a sort of introspective zen mode, which is much more my normal state. I tried some negative pull-ups on the rings today instead of on the grip board thing they have, and they turned into negative chin-ups all on their own, which was fine, and I actually felt like they were a bit easier on my elbows. I think I'll do them this way from now on. I also decided to try a max effort knuckle dead hang on the rings and got to 30 seconds-ish (I was counting in my head) while supporting my full body weight, which surprised me. It also fried my grip for the rest of the climbing session, but that was ok. I still managed to almost but not quite solve a green problem. In this gym, yellow is easiest, and green is the next level up. They'll be changing the routes on Friday, which means I won't get another chance to solve it, but it's definite progress, the last few times I've tried a green one I could barely get up on the wall.

While I was up there staring at the last hold and then deciding I couldn't do it and jumping down, I realized that my main problem with getting better at climbing is my fear of falling (fear seems to be a theme for me today). I tried the green one right at the beginning so I was as fresh as I could be, and I felt like I might have had the strength to get to the top but was too scared to go for it in case I couldn't and fell, so I jumped down instead. Same on the second go, and then by the third go my arms were too tired and I legitimately couldn't do it (I did some other routes in between each try). I always knew my fear of falling was a part of it, but today I realized it's probably the biggest part.

Anyway, I dunno what I'm going to do with that particular piece of insight yet, but I've got a week to think about it. For now I'm gonna go get a snack and then go do the beep test, the kidlets should have all cleared out from the school yard by now.

Beep test: Made level 6. Just stopped again. More importantly, I was much more mindful of my inner dialogue, and I found it interesting. In the early stages when I was just starting to feel tired, my inner dialogue was very much like 'Just keep going' and 'You can do this'.  As I approached level 6, it became much more specific, like as I passed level 4 it was 'Just 2 more levels and then you can stop' and as I approached level 6 it was 'Let him say level 6, then do one more length, then you're done'. In other words, it was a sort of conscious decision to stop, even if I wasn't entirely aware that I was making the decision at the time. So, lesson learned: make my encouragement to myself open ended, and keep it that way.

I also played around with the parallel bars on the playground. Held a tuck L-sit for 30 seconds, and then 25 seconds. Tried a few incline pushups on them too, and I could more or less do them, but the ground is covered in pea gravel so when they got hard my feet slipped, making me kinda fall. 

Now I'm off for sister time, and then some more distraction 'til bed time.

Thanks! I'm feeling much more zen about it now, I've successfully kept myself busy so far. Trying to sleep tonight may be another story, but I'll tackle that when I get there...

And that's exactly what I mean about branches and geocaching. My sister can't figure out how I've almost lost an eye so many times, but I have. I'll just be standing there peering down at the map on my phone and all of sudden *jab* there's a twig in my eye and I didn't even move. I think the trees are out to get me... Or the wind, one or the other...

Definitely, the trees are out to get us. But we will not let them because we are assassins!

So much catching up to do!!

My bike is officially in the shop. Being spring, they're rather busy, and I won't get it back for probably a week. Which I was expecting. They're going to do a quick assessment of its fit, since when I was riding it before it resulted in a very sore knee. They think it's likely a seat position issue and easily fixed, as did I after talking to a few bikers. Riding to work starts as soon as I get my bike back, weather permitting.

Yay fixing the bike and riding to work!!

On the plus side, I think I figured out where my ankle mobility issues are and maybe even a way to work on it. I have a feeling this could be the root of a few of my aches and pains, or at least a contributing factor, as it leads to some really wonky leg alignment issues in certain positions. The current mini-challenge seems to have come along at just the right time.

Figuring out the issue is usually the hardest part, so yay for figuring it out :D I'm sure it will help in the long run!

Potential down side: there will come a point where I can no longer get away with wearing the clothes I currently own (I'm already getting there with some of my pants) and I definitely do not have money for a new wardrobe. I guess I'll just have to go piecemeal with the shopping, and try not to get my new clothes too dirty so I can wear them for weeks on end... 

I'm definitely feeling you there. I had a couple weeks where I could finally fit comfortably into some of my skirt again, and now they are feeling really loose on me. And I can finally wear some of my jeans again, but of course its hot outside and I'm not gonna want to wear them till its cold again, by which time they will probably be too big. Oh well, there are definitely worse problems to have. Lol. And good luck with all the shopping.

That's my exact problem with shorts. I usually buy men's short/pants because I just don't like the cut of women's short/pants, nor the pocket sizes. I'm absolutely not a purse person, so if it doesn't fit into a pocket, it's probably not coming along (I do have a shoulder bag, but it's mostly for my water bottle and things I buy). I can get away with men's jeans, but men's shorts clearly don't fit my non-man frame as well as they should, hence my dislike of them. I would wear pants all the time if I could, but I also hate being hot, so have no choice but to go with shorts quite early in the year.

I want more exercise shorts with pockets but they are apparently hard to find. Like really hard. I have three pairs that I bought like 6 years ago. I've had to fix the seams multiple times but I love them. I have other shorts but none I like as well.

Besides workout shorts, I solve the problem of not finding shorts I like by wearing skirts and dresses all summer. Lol

Ha, yes indeed. I'm dreading running in the summer (my least favourite of all the seasons), I'll probably be one of those crazy midnight runners. I really become a night dweller in the summer, I just can't handle it when the sun's up. I'm hoping some day to be in good enough shape that I'm comfortable running around in just a sports bra, sans shirt, I've always been jealous of mens' ability to just whip off their shirts when it's hot and not get a second look by society. I've got a bit too much pudge for that at the moment, though...

I dislike this part of summer too. I've been going on my bike rides about 2 hours before sunset when its started to cool down a little and this seems to be working. I'm not up to wearing just a sports bra either. We will get there though!! *high five*

I think a bit part of my problem is hydration, I'm really good about drinking lots and often when I'm at work, but throughout a regular day, not so much. I'm not bad if I remember to put my full water bottle beside me and take it wherever I go, but it's the remembering to do that that I have trouble with.

I have problems with hydration too. I have to stash water bottles all over my apartment and always carry water with me. If I don't I know I won't drink enough and then I'm cranky and don't accomplish anything. Understanding the way my hydration worked was a huge step forward for me. I wish you luck on figuring this out :D

That sounds maybe a bit more negative than I'd intended, but it's all still true. But I also think what I'm eating is playing a role too. I just dunno what to do about it, if I go running any sooner after I eat I feel like puking, which makes for poor performance, and if I continue to go when I have been, I'm hungry, which leads to poor performance. Will have to think on this, and maybe put some things back into my diet that I've take out, even if that means stalling on the fat loss, though I don't know how I feel about the idea of spaghetti for breakfast... Maybe Red Bull in place of one of my morning coffees on run days is a better, if more expensive, option...

I don't know if you eat nuts, but I find eating nuts about 30 min - 1 hour before my bike rides is a good snack. It gives me the energy boost I need without overstuffing my stomach. Might be worth a try :)

I solved the problem of not being able to sleep the night before my surgery by purposefully not sleeping. Lol. I had to be at the hospital at 6 am so I would have had to get up at 4 am or so and since I normally go to bed at 1 or 2 I knew it wasn't going to happen. Made sleeping through the pain after the surgery a lot easier though. Lol

I hope the surgery went well cause I'm sure you've already had it by the time you are reading this, which may be a while considering you might not be able to see very well for a while.

Beep test: Made level 6. Just stopped again. More importantly, I was much more mindful of my inner dialogue, and I found it interesting. In the early stages when I was just starting to feel tired, my inner dialogue was very much like 'Just keep going' and 'You can do this'.  As I approached level 6, it became much more specific, like as I passed level 4 it was 'Just 2 more levels and then you can stop' and as I approached level 6 it was 'Let him say level 6, then do one more length, then you're done'. In other words, it was a sort of conscious decision to stop, even if I wasn't entirely aware that I was making the decision at the time. So, lesson learned: make my encouragement to myself open ended, and keep it that way.

Great lesson learned :D