• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

obax

obax Keeps on Truckin'

Week 5 Sum-Up:

Not great. I'm not going to write out how I did for each goal, because the only thing I was good at was tracking my food intake, and even that I slacked on after a few dinners that weren't easy to put in piece by piece. I think I've given up on the grip goal, if I went downstairs with any regularity I might remember to do it more often, but as it is, the only time I use the stairs, my hands are full with something. I'm still practicing it specifically when I climb or do my playground workout (I say that as if it's regular, it's not, yet), and without more self-discipline that's probably the best I can do, and I'm fine with this. I got my mom to time my knuckle dead hang and it's at about 21 seconds, which is better than I thought. I gotta try to remember to do some pushing with my fingertips to balance it all out, but I'm impressed at this progress.

I dunno why I let myself be so lazy this week. The main culprit is the fact that I've more or less failed miserably at the time-making goal, mainly because I let myself be distracted by the computer, but why I let myself do this when I've been so good about it up 'til now, I have no idea. I even did a better job of it during my week off, when I could have wasted all the time I wanted.

Today I'm going to run the beep test, I was going to do it yesterday but then a Wild Lady Time appeared and left me puking and curled up in a ball on the couch for most of the day. Today I feel much better. If I can get my arse in gear I'll play around on the playground afterwards (assuming it's not swarmed with small child-like beings with loud voices and sticky fingers), but the beep test is the main event, so that will get done if nothing else.

I find that I do these wild pendulum swings, super intense over achievement stuff followed by mindless sloth and hedonistic indulgence.  So don't feel alone about the "I know I can do awesome, so why do I do pathetic?" syndrome.  There must be some kind of balance, but I don't know what it is.

Don't be scared of the wee people.  I know they are intimidating (high pitched voices, low profile, rapid acceleration and deceleration with physics defying changes of direction and nonsensical actions), but if you approach them with caution and ask nicely they will show you all sorts of cool ways to play on their playgrounds.  Alas, there is no getting away from the sticky fingers...

I find that I do these wild pendulum swings, super intense over achievement stuff followed by mindless sloth and hedonistic indulgence.  So don't feel alone about the "I know I can do awesome, so why do I do pathetic?" syndrome.  There must be some kind of balance, but I don't know what it is.

Don't be scared of the wee people.  I know they are intimidating (high pitched voices, low profile, rapid acceleration and deceleration with physics defying changes of direction and nonsensical actions), but if you approach them with caution and ask nicely they will show you all sorts of cool ways to play on their playgrounds.  Alas, there is no getting away from the sticky fingers...

The pendulum swings are frustrating, though. I'm blaming it on the Wild Lady Time I encountered, the week before is always rougher than the average week, and even though I know why it's rough doesn't help me deal with it. But that might more more excuse than reason, I can't decide... All I do know is, I hate hormones.

I'm less scared of the wee ones than I am of their parents calling the cops because they think I'm a creeper. Maybe I'm over sensitive, I dunno, I don't have kids nor have I ever been in charge of kids. I actually like kids, especially the ones who can walk and talk on their own, but haven't had hormones kick in yet. I encountered that today, and was up front with the parents, I told them I was here to do a workout and if they weren't comfortable with me being there I'd leave and come back later. They said they were fine with it but moved on shortly after I started. I'm not sure if they were uncomfortable with me being there but didn't want to say so (I offered to leave 3 times, not my fault they didn't take me up on it), or if they were worried their kids would interrupt/distract me (they would not have, I can ignore annoying things very well, and I'm always happy to stop what I'm doing to explain things to inquisitive kids), or if it was just the natural progression of their day out with the kids. *shrug* Either way, I ended up with the playground to myself, which was just fine by me.

And so, Today's Workout:

It has a two-fold title, since it was a two-fold workout.

Fold #1: Holy Shit, I Did It!

Specifically, I made level 6.5 on the beep test, and maybe even level 7. I just stopped again, but there was only open ended internal thinking, and I was DONE when the level 7 beep beeped. I'm not sure about the rules on that, but I for sure made 6.5. Another plus, both what and when I ate was good today, I was not hungry nor too full, and didn't really feel like puking, at least not until after I stopped, and that was only fleeting.

I think I did a good job of pacing myself today, and I also was mindful of how I stopped at the line. I tried to be very light on my feet rather than slamming on the breaks, which really kills my quads. I'm going to try to be mindful of this from now on, as a lot of what I've read about this test is that technique is a huge part of it and perfecting it can get you a whole level just on its own.

Level 4-4.5 is where things start getting hard, and that's when I would previously starting thinking things like 'two more levels and you can stop'. This time, that thought started and I immediately overrode it with 'If Croman can run for 15 hours, you can run for 6.5 minutes', which very quickly shortened to what apparently is my new beep test mantra, 'If Croman can do it, you can do it', and that was the only thing in my head from then 'til when I stopped. So, not quite my challenge goal, which is to hit level 7 at least 2 times in a row, but it is the police test goal, so yay to that!!

Fold #2: Oy, My Arms!!

After I regained the ability to stand upright and breathe more or less normally at the same time, I went over to the playground and did the same workout as before. Here's what I did (not necessarily in this order):

Inverted Rows (under, over, under): 10, 10, 10

Box Jumps (~18 inches hight): 10, 10 (11?), 10

Pull-Up Negatives (neutral grip): 5, 5, 5

Incline Pushups (hand ~18 inches off ground): 6, 6 (7?), 6

Tuck L-Sit, Parallel Bars (sec): 20, 20, 22

Squat Jumps: 10, 10, 10

Kunckle Dead Hang (sec): 15, 20, 20

Triceps Pushups: 10, 10, 10

Things I improved on over last time: Incline Pushups, Triceps Pushups, Tuck L-Sit

Things I probably could have done more of if I hadn't just run the beep test: Box Jumps (increase height), Squat Jumps (increase reps)

Things I should remember for next time: climbing chalk, I probably could have gone longer on the dead hangs if my hands weren't so slippery with sweat

Note 1: I forgot about the Triceps Pushups until the end, so I did all 3 sets one right after the other, with 45-60 seconds between sets (hence Oy, My Arms). I don't know if this way of doing things has a name, but holy crap it's hard!!

Note 2: the numbers in brackets with the question marks indicate sets I lost count on because my mind was wandering so I did one extra to make sure I did them all

Also, I saw a guy doing hill sprints on the nearby toboggan hill (now just a hill hill). I can't believe that I never thought of doing hill sprints/runs there, it's the side of a drumlin so I can choose the size of the hill I want to run, and it's grassy, so easier on my aches and pains. I think I'll give this a try next week and see how I feel about it, as much as I hate hills I think they're good for me...

Now for some quick stretching and then to work.

You got the beep test!  Go Obax!!

I wasn't even excited after, my mind went immediately to how I could do better. I'm not an excitable person, but I thought I might at least feel some satisfaction when I hit the level I need to. Maybe it's because I know this means nothing if I can't do it on the test day, so this is really just the first step. it was nice to be not mad after finishing it, though, which has been my MO of late...

We're all like that, I think, we tend not to savor our achievements and instead go to the "next" thing.  You've been working on this goal for long enough that you should have a beer in your own honor:)

Having achieved it once, you will begin achieving it with increasing regularity until it is the norm (unless you stop training for it altogether for long enough) and you will start hitting the next level.  

I'm just happy that you got it:)

I'm less scared of the wee ones than I am of their parents calling the cops because they think I'm a creeper. Maybe I'm over sensitive, I dunno, I don't have kids nor have I ever been in charge of kids. I actually like kids, especially the ones who can walk and talk on their own, but haven't had hormones kick in yet. I encountered that today, and was up front with the parents, I told them I was here to do a workout and if they weren't comfortable with me being there I'd leave and come back later. They said they were fine with it but moved on shortly after I started. I'm not sure if they were uncomfortable with me being there but didn't want to say so (I offered to leave 3 times, not my fault they didn't take me up on it), or if they were worried their kids would interrupt/distract me (they would not have, I can ignore annoying things very well, and I'm always happy to stop what I'm doing to explain things to inquisitive kids), or if it was just the natural progression of their day out with the kids. *shrug* Either way, I ended up with the playground to myself, which was just fine by me.

Honestly, I think people just have weird, stuffy notions about who should be allowed to use a playground (even though playgrounds are public areas, and adults have just as much right to use them as kids).  I do the same type of playground workout that you do, except that I'm also there watching and playing with my kids.  I still get a lot of strange looks from the other moms.  A lot of people seem to think that the only proper place for adults on playground is to stand off on the sides, either watching the kids or playing on their phones. 

Congrats on the beep test!  Also, at the playground, have you ever tried doing quasi-muscle ups, where you start with the bar at chest, shoulder, or chin height, jump up, and try to end in a muscle up position?  That's one of my favorites at the playground.  :)

Honestly, I think people just have weird, stuffy notions about who should be allowed to use a playground (even though playgrounds are public areas, and adults have just as much right to use them as kids).  I do the same type of playground workout that you do, except that I'm also there watching and playing with my kids.  I still get a lot of strange looks from the other moms.  A lot of people seem to think that the only proper place for adults on playground is to stand off on the sides, either watching the kids or playing on their phones. 

Yeah, that might have been part of it too, when I told the guy I was here to do a workout, his response was "Uhhh......?" and I was like "On the monkey bars and stuff" like it was the most natural thing in the world. I'm not in the least bothered by the sideways glances of other adults who think I'm being weird/childish/whatever, I just didn't want them to think I was there to steal their children.

Congrats on the beep test!  Also, at the playground, have you ever tried doing quasi-muscle ups, where you start with the bar at chest, shoulder, or chin height, jump up, and try to end in a muscle up position?  That's one of my favorites at the playground.  :)

Thanks! And no, I haven't tried that, but I was looking at one of the shorter bars and the thought did occur to me. That was after my 3 consecutive sets of Triceps Pushups of Death, and the idea of using my arms for anything at that point was laughable. It's in the back of my mind for fun stuff to try next time. I might even go do some fun stuff today rather than a full workout, to work the ouch out of my muscles.

We're all like that, I think, we tend not to savor our achievements and instead go to the "next" thing.  You've been working on this goal for long enough that you should have a beer in your own honor:)

Having achieved it once, you will begin achieving it with increasing regularity until it is the norm (unless you stop training for it altogether for long enough) and you will start hitting the next level.  

I'm just happy that you got it:)

I hope so. I'd like 6.5 to become a bit easier, at least. I'm happy I got past the mental block that was keeping me at level 6 for so long and figured out how to motivate myself better (I hope you don't mind being my mantra...), I'm actually feeling much more relaxed in general today, and specifically when I think about the test, and I think that's why. I didn't realize I was stressed at all until today when I feel much more zen just sitting here than I have in a while. Not that it's not still scary, but I'm feeling more like I can actually do this thing now.

Now, if I can just figure out how to jump a wall, I'll be set...

Your mantra?

You can do this thing.  Maybe not as easily or as quickly as you wish, but that's all part of the challenge.  You're doing great, keep at it.

Your mantra?

You can do this thing.  Maybe not as easily or as quickly as you wish, but that's all part of the challenge.  You're doing great, keep at it.

Yeah, when the beep test starting getting hard, instead of thinking 'Two more levels and you can stop', which was what was leading to me being stuck at level 6, I thought 'If Croman can run for 15 hours, you can run for 6.5 minutes', which quickly became shortened to 'If Croman can do it, you can do it', and that was the only thought going through my head until I stopped at level 7ish. It came out of nowhere, but it got me through, so apparently you've become my mantra...

Yeah, when the beep test starting getting hard, instead of thinking 'Two more levels and you can stop', which was what was leading to me being stuck at level 6, I thought 'If Croman can run for 15 hours, you can run for 6.5 minutes', which quickly became shortened to 'If Croman can do it, you can do it', and that was the only thought going through my head until I stopped at level 7ish. It came out of nowhere, but it got me through, so apparently you've become my mantra...

Wow.  That makes me feel really good.  Thanks:)  (Now I'm thinking of changing my name to Yodaman Red!)

Wow.  That makes me feel really good.  Thanks:)  (Now I'm thinking of changing my name to Yodaman Red!)

No, you can't! That's to many syllables for my mantra, you'd ruin it all!!  :)

Actually, the idea of (virtually) knowing someone who ran for 15 hours put my 6.5 minutes of misery into perspective, and made me realize I was being a bit of a baby and I should probably just man up and do it already. That time I said you inspired me with your craziness, I actually meant what I said.

No, you can't! That's to many syllables for my mantra, you'd ruin it all!!   :)

Actually, the idea of (virtually) knowing someone who ran for 15 hours put my 6.5 minutes of misery into perspective, and made me realize I was being a bit of a baby and I should probably just man up and do it already. That time I said you inspired me with your craziness, I actually meant what I said.

I'm glad the madness has been embraced:)

Today's Workout:

Was gonna be a run, but then I walked out the door and holy crap, when did it become summer!?! So I turned right around, shut all the windows, cranked the tunes and stretched. I'm going to a movie later, I might try to get a run in before that once the sun is less up, or after if I'm feeling relatively awake. I am NOT ready for hot *frown*

On the plus side, I made a new recipe for the mini-challenge (scroll down 'til you see my post about Chicken Ragout), and also for my belly. My belly approves.

One other note: I wore my VFFs to work last night. I expected that being on cement all night would be too much and brought other shoes to change into, but it turned out to be great. My plantar fasciitis is less sore than usual (a night on me feet usually makes it flare up, which means it kinda always hurts). My calves and feet are sore like DOMS sore, it's been a while since I've worn these for so long, but overall it was a good idea. I'll keep this up, unless the boss lady deems individual toes inappropriate for work attire... My co-workers were quite fascinated with them, one even bent down an poked each toe to make sure there was one in each :)

Some things I've noticed about my diet since I've been tracking it:

1. I have a really hard time getting 1g/lb BW of protein (in my case it should be around 170g. I have MFP set to 166 'cuz that's what it adjusted to automatically when I played with the percentages, and that was close enough for me, but I'm usually in the 120-125g range, sometimes less, and that's including supplementing occasionally with protein powder). Don't really know if this is much of a problem, though I understand that, when cutting, the body eats muscle for energy and getting enough protein can mitigate this process. I'm not sure it's making a functional difference for me, though.

2. I have not much problem staying under my calorie amount, though because I've set a custom one and don't track my exercise, I'm not 100% certain the level is appropriate for weight loss (forgetting to weigh myself isn't helping in this regard...). In theory it's an ok level, but I have this niggling doubt in the back of my mind that it might not be, and I don't really know how to confirm this.

3. I almost always go over on carbs, sometimes by a lot sometimes by a little, and am almost always under on fat. No idea if this is meaningful, and if it is, whether it's good or bad.

4. 120 calories can be more filling/last longer than 500 calories, depending on where the calories come from. This is interesting to me.

Today's a bit up in the air, workout-wise. I have a dog at the groomer and a father at the hospital (potentially serious, but not life-threatening), and have no idea when either will be finished, and am responsible for retrieving both, and for walking the dogs, all hopefully before work, since my mom won't be home 'til late. Might just do a short run since that only takes 11 minutes of my time, but inevitably both will be finished during that 11 minute period, no matter when I go... I succumbed to the unexpected heat yesterday and took a day off, so I really should do something today... *sigh*

Taking care of your people and responsibilities takes precedence.  You can always do 11 minutes of burpees.

Yeah... that'd kill me... But it's actually kinda a good idea. I might just go to the basement and mess around with 1 minute each of whatever I can remember from the cardio DVD I have. I did at least go for a ~45 minute dog walk at a decent pace, which is better than nothing. I technically have time for a short run now, but I'm also hungry and hunger+heat+humidity+effort=light-headedness+nausea, almost without fail, which is probably not so useful while running. Unfortunately, replacing 'hunger' with 'full stomach' results in the rest of the equation staying exactly the same (I'm really not meant for summer...)

It's bloody hot and muggy again today, especially when the sun comes out, maybe it's time to think about adjusting my sleep schedule so I am awake enough after midnight to work out then go to bed at like 3 am and sleep through the hot. My choices come summer are that, or working out in the hottest part of the day... Neither appeal to me, really...

Yeah... that'd kill me... But it's actually kinda a good idea. I might just go to the basement and mess around with 1 minute each of whatever I can remember from the cardio DVD I have. I did at least go for a ~45 minute dog walk at a decent pace, which is better than nothing. I technically have time for a short run now, but I'm also hungry and hunger+heat+humidity+effort=light-headedness+nausea, almost without fail, which is probably not so useful while running. Unfortunately, replacing 'hunger' with 'full stomach' results in the rest of the equation staying exactly the same (I'm really not meant for summer...)

It's bloody hot and muggy again today, especially when the sun comes out, maybe it's time to think about adjusting my sleep schedule so I am awake enough after midnight to work out then go to bed at like 3 am and sleep through the hot. My choices come summer are that, or working out in the hottest part of the day... Neither appeal to me, really...

You're the incarnation of the goddess.  Its up to you how you wish to fulfill your destiny.  Regardless, never doubt that you will. (In real-speak, that means "get off your ass and make it happen", you are equal to the task.  I expect to see your efforts strike terror into the hearts of all and inspire awe all around.  Get to it.  I believe in you.

So, I decided on 2 sets of the following:

1 minute each of:

jumping jacks

running in place - high knees

running in place - butt kicks

burpees (no jump in second set)

skaters (not skater squats,

)

Hardest: high knees and burpees

Skaters are harder now that hockey season is over, for obvious reasons

Easiest: butt kicks

Did only 2 sets so I had a bit of time to stretch, could have done 3 sets if I had more time before work. Gonna keep this in the back of my mind for a rainy day workout.

Some things I've noticed about my diet since I've been tracking it:

1. I have a really hard time getting 1g/lb BW of protein (in my case it should be around 170g. I have MFP set to 166 'cuz that's what it adjusted to automatically when I played with the percentages, and that was close enough for me, but I'm usually in the 120-125g range, sometimes less, and that's including supplementing occasionally with protein powder). Don't really know if this is much of a problem, though I understand that, when cutting, the body eats muscle for energy and getting enough protein can mitigate this process. I'm not sure it's making a functional difference for me, though.

2. I have not much problem staying under my calorie amount, though because I've set a custom one and don't track my exercise, I'm not 100% certain the level is appropriate for weight loss (forgetting to weigh myself isn't helping in this regard...). In theory it's an ok level, but I have this niggling doubt in the back of my mind that it might not be, and I don't really know how to confirm this.

3. I almost always go over on carbs, sometimes by a lot sometimes by a little, and am almost always under on fat. No idea if this is meaningful, and if it is, whether it's good or bad.

4. 120 calories can be more filling/last longer than 500 calories, depending on where the calories come from. This is interesting to me.

Today's a bit up in the air, workout-wise. I have a dog at the groomer and a father at the hospital (potentially serious, but not life-threatening), and have no idea when either will be finished, and am responsible for retrieving both, and for walking the dogs, all hopefully before work, since my mom won't be home 'til late. Might just do a short run since that only takes 11 minutes of my time, but inevitably both will be finished during that 11 minute period, no matter when I go... I succumbed to the unexpected heat yesterday and took a day off, so I really should do something today... *sigh*

1. Protein - 120-125g isn't bad.  You can also approach this from an "ideal bodyweight" perspective.  e.g. If you currently weight 150 lb. but your target weight is 135 lb. eat 135 g of protein per day.  If you currently weight 150 lb. but your target weight is 175 lb. eat 175 g per day.  Makes it a bit easier to hit your goal (unless you're bulking).

2. Calorie target - Gotta start weighing yourself!  MFP calculated calories high for me.  I had much better results from this calculator, but even that number was just a starting point.  i had to tweak it a bunch to get the perfect weight loss / strength maintenance ratio.

3. Carbs and fats - You'll most likely have an easier time losing weight if you keep your carbs low (depends on how messed up your metabolism is and how much weight you have to lose). That being said, if you're active, hitting your protein AND fiber goals, and you're getting veggies, fruit, and meat every day - you probably don't have to worry about this too much unless you really want to.  I'm finding that having to hit my calorie, protein, and fiber goals every day (the only three I'm tracking at this point) = a really well balanced diet with some room to indulge a little bit.

4. Crazy isn't it???  Protein for the win on this one!

1. Protein - 120-125g isn't bad. You can also approach this from an "ideal bodyweight" perspective. e.g. If you currently weight 150 lb. but your target weight is 135 lb. eat 135 g of protein per day. If you currently weight 150 lb. but your target weight is 175 lb. eat 175 g per day. Makes it a bit easier to hit your goal (unless you're bulking).

2. Calorie target - Gotta start weighing yourself! MFP calculated calories high for me. I had much better results from this calculator, but even that number was just a starting point. i had to tweak it a bunch to get the perfect weight loss / strength maintenance ratio.

3. Carbs and fats - You'll most likely have an easier time losing weight if you keep your carbs low (depends on how messed up your metabolism is and how much weight you have to lose). That being said, if you're active, hitting your protein AND fiber goals, and you're getting veggies, fruit, and meat every day - you probably don't have to worry about this too much unless you really want to. I'm finding that having to hit my calorie, protein, and fiber goals every day (the only three I'm tracking at this point) = a really well balanced diet with some room to indulge a little bit.

4. Crazy isn't it??? Protein for the win on this one!

Thanks for the info! I'm not overly worried about the carb/fat intake, since I'm staying under my calorie goal for the most part and getting close on protein and fibre for the most part. I don't really indulge in bad for me stuff, it mostly comes from fruit and Kashi cereal that I mix with my yogurt, and honey in my coffee, which I'm not prepared to give up. It's actually surprising how easily they add up and I don't feel like I'm eating a lot of them. One thing that really opened my eyes is how much is in grains (I knew there was lots, but I didn't really KNOW, y'know?). I'm trying hard to cut them out more and more, but it's not easy when I don't buy my own groceries (first world problem, I know...). Maybe I should offer to do the shopping with my parents' card, then I can pick what I want for myself.

Just out of curiosity, what's a good way to choose a target weight? I honestly don't care what the number on the scale is, the only reason I'm interested in losing weight is that it's easier to get over a wall if there's less of me to haul up there. My goals are purely functional (I won't say that less pudge isn't appealing and that making it to the last belt hole doesn't feel good, but it's not even remotely the main motivating factor). In the back of my head I like the number 130, but have no idea what that would look like on me. I've never been anywhere near that so the idea of that is actually kind of scary...

My calorie goal doesn't come from MFP, I calculated it using this website to calculate my BRM and then the Harris-Bennedict equation to account for activity (I chose moderately active, then subtracted 500 from the number it gave me), and then set a custom goal on MFP (I only track my intake, I don't log my exercise since much of what I do isn't on there and I can't be bothered to try to figure out what would correspond). I'll use your link to compare and see where it's at.

And yes, I know I need to weigh myself. It was a challenge goal this time 'round to do it weekly and I've failed miserably. Not sure how to remind myself to do it. I might have to try to do it daily just to get in the habit, then average it for the week or something (Gah! That sounds like a step towards spreadsheets!! NOOOO!!! Averages: the gateway drug to a spreadsheet addiction.) I'll try a new tactic for the next challenge, but for now I'm only remembering after I've eaten and my belly is full with yummy food...